POLL: Will you buy Poly DVC?

Will you purchase Poly DVC?

• Yes! I'm jonesing for some Poly points

• Maybe. My spouse wants me to buy, though.

• Meh. If I'm bequeathed money by an unknown relative, maybe.

• Not likely. I wouldn't turn down a gift of Poly points, though.

• No! I couldn't drink enough Lapu Lapus to make me buy

Results are only viewable after voting.
Just returned from a non-park DVC trip. The DVC podiums at the resort's and DtD were HIGHLY active with staff marketing the product...they were more eager to approach walker-bys too. I had a guy named John at DtD run after us as I showed my guest the picture book of the resorts. They are doing a great job.

I voted no for a few reasons. High price point being number one, and now that our Canadian dollar has dipped to close to 80 cents us, that would add even more cost. When we bought AKL in 2011, our dollar was just above par with US so it worked out well for us transaction wise.

Also no 1-bedrooms, which we enjoy. If it's just a trip with DH and myself, we'll take our chances at 7 months to get a studio at the Poly :thumbsup2

Just ran across some info that may answer why only studios were built. According to my source, the poly was originally built with concrete walls between many, if not all rooms similar to the contemporary. Cutting the walls to make larger units would jeopardize the integrity of the structure.

:earsboy: Bill

Just ran across some info that may answer why only studios were built. According to my source, the poly was originally built with concrete walls between many, if not all rooms similar to the contemporary. Cutting the walls to make larger units would jeopardize the integrity of the structure.

Hmm. Fascinating. . .but I still wouldn't buy there. lol

Most likely I will not purchase Poly points but I would like to purchase more points at a different resort at some point in my life.

You would have thought there would have been a way around it using steel supports. I wouldn't buy at Poly as there are no one beds and could not afford the points for the bungalows.

That just points out why they should have started with new structures like BLT. Not 30 year old buildings. I'm not certain though if you were reading about the original buildings construction though or the new ones which were converted to DVC and were built in the 80's.

Last edited:

As in load bearing masonry walls ?

Wish they would have made 1 and 2 bedroom DVC rooms.
The studio is too small for us and the bungalow too many points.

Nope, studios are too restrictive as the only (feasible) booking size. We'll use our points there though (and are doing so in 2 weeks).
Same reason we won't buy the new Wilderness Lodge I suspect.

I think we're done branching out to new resorts.

Quote from Tikiman's website....
With Rapa Nui having 76 rooms (all connecting and some connecting to 3 rooms)

They had the ability to put at least some 2BR units instead of studios into Pago Pago.

All but two studios are now connected. The two that are not are in Tokelau. They are adjacent to rooms used for storage. wdrl noticed the outside of the storage rooms is blocked off. It is possible the interior room connects to the storage room. If they can build 358 studios that connect to a second studio, they could easily have built 1BR units.

They could also have built what Dean termed super studios to make a truly unique studio. DVD made their choices and it is unlikely we will ever really know why.

Quote from Tikiman's website....

They had the ability to put at least some 2BR units instead of studios into Pago Pago.

All but two studios are now connected. The two that are not are in Tokelau. They are adjacent to rooms used for storage. wdrl noticed the outside of the storage rooms is blocked off. It is possible the interior room connects to the storage room. If they can build 358 studios that connect to a second studio, they could easily have built 1BR units.

They could also have built what Dean termed super studios to make a truly unique studio. DVD made their choices and it is unlikely we will ever really know why.

:crazy: Thanks for pointing out what we should have noted......PVB was perfectly set up for 1 BR's at least no matter what the original construction was. They already had the doors.

Aren't one bedrooms the least booked, least liked room size in the program? If there was no ability to turn that 1BR into a 2BR I could see why they wouldn't want to introduce a bunch of 1BRs. The issue for Disney is a 1BR takes up twice the space and holds the same number of people as the studio. While the point charts would reflect that, the ability to have more people onsite would be diminished.

Having stayed (cash reservations) at Poly for 10+ trips over the last 41 years it's been open, and it being my favorite resort, I was totally ready to buy in Poly DVC. That is, until I saw what they did to "my" resort. On my last trip, staying at BCV, I visited the Poly, looked around, looked at a sample room, and decided there was no way I'd buy Poly DVC. The most important factors were that the DVC rooms are over by TTC (which has always been the "second tier" location), what they did with the pool, what they did to the lobby (I miss my waterfalls!), and the complete loss of views due to the bungalows.

IMO, the Poly needs something to justify the high point cost for those studios. A stacked washer/dryer and a king bed would have done it for me.

Aren't one bedrooms the least booked, least liked room size in the program? If there was no ability to turn that 1BR into a 2BR I could see why they wouldn't want to introduce a bunch of 1BRs. The issue for Disney is a 1BR takes up twice the space and holds the same number of people as the studio. While the point charts would reflect that, the ability to have more people onsite would be diminished.
You may have a point. Playing devil's advocate, however, one reason 1BRs may be less popular is because they've traditionally only held 4 people while the new studios hold 5. Beyond that, when they offered PVB as only studios or bungalows, it reduced the cachet of the resort since a potential buyer has fewer choices. Other resorts offer studios, 1BRs, 2BRs, and some even GVs. Poly? Two choices. However, as you opine, Disney may have decided that offering only those two categories would play out better financially in the long run.

Last edited:
IMO, the Poly needs something to justify the high point cost for those studios. A stacked washer/dryer and a king bed would have done it for me.

Compared to the VGF studios which are the same points, the POLY studios feel like nothing special. I'd take a VGF studio any day of a POLY studio.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter