Post all SW questions concerns, etc. here...

I'm booked in late October and still holding out hope, but if I decide to cancel or have to due to state quarantine mandates, is there a date I need to cancel by in order to make sure my travel funds are still extended through 9/7/22? I haven't been following any updates or changes over the last few weeks, but last I knew, travel funds were extended to 9/7/22 but flights needed to be cancelled by 9/7/20 in order for that to be effective - I think that's what it was lol. Appreciate any clarification!

I'm booked in late October and still holding out hope, but if I decide to cancel or have to due to state quarantine mandates, is there a date I need to cancel by in order to make sure my travel funds are still extended through 9/7/22? I haven't been following any updates or changes over the last few weeks, but last I knew, travel funds were extended to 9/7/22 but flights needed to be cancelled by 9/7/20 in order for that to be effective - I think that's what it was lol. Appreciate any clarification!
From Southwest:

Canceling your Southwest flightUpdated July 21, 2020 at 11:30 a.m. CT.
If you decide not to travel, as long as you cancel your flight at least 10 minutes before its scheduled departure, the funds used to pay for a nonrefundable ticket (Wanna Get Away® fares) are normally valid for one year from the date of purchase.
However, in recognition of the current travel environment, we are extending the expiration date of some travel funds:
  • Customers’ funds that have expired or will expire between March 1, 2020 and September 7, 2020, will now expire September 7, 2022.
  • Any travel funds created because you cancel a flight between March 1 – September 7, 2020, will expire September 7, 2022.
For recently cancelled tickets and newly created travel funds, it may take up to five business days for the expiration date to change to September 7, 2022. Typically, the expiration date is updated at midnight after the fund creation.
It’s important to note, while these unused travel funds will be available until September 7, 2022, once the funds are used to make a purchase, the expiration date of the travel funds will then follow our normal ticketing rules and will expire 12 months from the date of purchase.
For example:
  • Your original unused travel funds with confirmation number OLD111 expired on March 19, 2020.
  • These unused travel funds were extended to an expiration date of September 7, 2022.
  • You use some of those funds on August 1, 2020 to book new travel in September under confirmation number NEW111.
  • If for some reason you need to cancel this new flight, your unused travel funds associated with confirmation number NEW111 will be valid for 12 months from the booking date which means they will expire August 1, 2021.
  • Any remaining unused travel funds tied to OLD111 will be available through September 7, 2022.
We have also added a new benefit for our valued Rapid Rewards Members. Those Members who have travel funds that are set to expire or funds that are created between March 1, 2020 and September 7, 2020 will have the option to convert those travel funds into Rapid Rewards points at the same rate you would be able to purchase a ticket with points today. We hope this provides our Members ultimate flexibility as Rapid Rewards points never expire, never have cancel or change fees (fare difference may apply), and you can redeem your points for anyone you choose.
Our Technology Team is working to build this conversion capability, and we will be in touch when it is ready for you to use. In the meantime, you don’t need to take any action—your travel funds will be automatically extended for the two years mentioned above, and you will be able to make this conversion once we bring this new functionality to fruition.

Just an update on my EBC question I asked a few days ago. I called SW and the wait time was to long so I sent an email just to see what they would do. They replied and said I had to call so this morning when I pulled up my ticket information I noticed the EBC had been added on some time after 11:30pm last night. I had checked my account when I noticed the email reply last night. So I was able to get it fixed without calling.

Just a friendly reminder to keep checking your flight prices. I have a December trip booked (I’m hopeful that it’ll still happen but I’ll cancel if we’re not ready). This week I’ve changed one way of our trip two times, and saved over 5,000 points per person :cool1:

Just a friendly reminder to keep checking your flight prices. I have a December trip booked (I’m hopeful that it’ll still happen but I’ll cancel if we’re not ready). This week I’ve changed one way of our trip two times, and saved over 5,000 points per person :cool1:
Hoping it's gonna happen...we're first week of December..and have booked air at $45.00 each way, from Chicago, non stop. Can't beat that!

I agree. I was able to re-book mine last week for our trip mid-August. We are down to 7400 points RT per person.

They are at it again, changed my flight home for the second time. Luckily I was able to change it to a non-stop at a decent time.

Waiting for the shoe to drop ...

The red change banner is showing on my September flights, though my flight itinerary is still listed just as I booked it. However, when I try to change flights, all the flights from my airport on those days show as unavailable. The ones I am booked on aren’t even showing anymore. There are some acceptable nonstops, but I can’t book them. *sigh*

Fun, fun! Guess I’ll see what happens tomorrow!

SWA keeps making it harder to for my family to take a quick weekend trip WDW and make it a feasible visit. The late night departure flight from MCO to BHM has disappeared for Labor Day weekend. I just got switched from a 9pm flight to a 9am! We lost an entire park day! (I know in perspective to Covid this is nothing, but an escape from our high stress jobs is still nice!)

I just looked and our flight from buffalo to Orlando was changed. There was no notification from southwest. We had a direct flight booked and the flight they moved us to now has a stopover and no direct flights are being offered. Disappointed for sure!!

Called SW about my September flight changes and was able to get switched to the new nonstops, even though they showed unavailable online. Lost 2/3 of my departure park day, which really hurts because my trip is only three nights. Oh well, it is what it is. Just thankful I still get to go!

Fingers crossed for no more changes!

Just a heads up for Sept travelers...you might want to check your current flight status...I received an email from SW a few hours ago stating that my return flight had been chged...new flight was scheduled for just 15 min later which was fine but the email showed my arrival date as unchanged. I went online to see what options were being offered in case I did want to change my return flight and discovered my arrival flight was no longer even listed although I have not received any change notification for that flight! Luckily I was able to change my arrival flight for a flight that is an hour earlier but the flight that would have been closest to my original flight shows as unavailable.
This is the fourth change notification I have received for this trip!
**there was no charge for changing my flights.

Just a heads up for Sept travelers...you might want to check your current flight status...I received an email from SW a few hours ago stating that my return flight had been chged...new flight was scheduled for just 15 min later which was fine but the email showed my arrival date as unchanged. I went online to see what options were being offered in case I did want to change my return flight and discovered my arrival flight was no longer even listed although I have not received any change notification for that flight! Luckily I was able to change my arrival flight for a flight that is an hour earlier but the flight that would have been closest to my original flight shows as unavailable.
This is the fourth change notification I have received for this trip!
**there was no charge for changing my flights.
Ughhh! Same here. We had the 1st flight in the morning, nonstop on 9/12! They changed us with no notification to 3pm, 1 stop and now we miss our whole first day, arriving after 9pm. I am calling now to get us on the only nonstop flight the night before. We are going to just fly in the night before and stay at the Hyatt in the airport and get on DME the next morning so we don't lose a whole day. I can't believe they got rid of so many flights.

ETA: Was able to change our flight to the night before, nonstop at no extra cost and we were able to add an extra night at Pop.

Last edited:
Question. My dh has a flight booked for business trip, paid for by his boss. If they cancel the flight, the credit goes in my husbands name because the flight is in his name?

On hold with southwest now. They didn’t change my departure flight but changed my return flight which was a late evening direct 2 hr to an afternoon flight that is 6 hours counting layover. That obliterated my last day. There is a red banner but it doesn’t appear to say I can change my flight for free. Ugh. I am going to add a night at pop and try to get an 11:30 direct flight out. 46 min estimated hold time. I received no emails from SW either. Not surprised this happened but very annoyed they took away the ability to change for free. My red banner is just a covid alert I guess.

On hold with southwest now. They didn’t change my departure flight but changed my return flight which was a late evening direct 2 hr to an afternoon flight that is 6 hours counting layover. That obliterated my last day. There is a red banner but it doesn’t appear to say I can change my flight for free. Ugh. I am going to add a night at pop and try to get an 11:30 direct flight out. 46 min estimated hold time. I received no emails from SW either. Not surprised this happened but very annoyed they took away the ability to change for free. My red banner is just a covid alert I guess.
You should be able to change for free. We did and we are flying out a day earlier than originally planned. I called and did it over the phone. The lady over the phone said all fees are being waived.

You should be able to change for free. We did and we are flying out a day earlier than originally planned. I called and did it over the phone. The lady over the phone said all fees are being waived.

thats awesome! I appreciate that. I was hoping that would be the case. Sounds like they obliterated a lot of people’s plans. Next I will book a night at pop and hope they can blend them together. Maybe I will call and see if they can just add a night to the trip. I have the sun and fun offer so I don’t want them to screw that up. I do see I can make a 1 night reservation if necessary

Question. My dh has a flight booked for business trip, paid for by his boss. If they cancel the flight, the credit goes in my husbands name because the flight is in his name?
If Southwest cancels the original flight, the cost can be credited back to the original form of payment, if requested. The best way to do that is to call in. Most airlines prefer to just issue a credit for future travel, but if the airline cancels the flight, it is required to refund the cost, upon request.

If Southwest cancels the original flight, the cost can be credited back to the original form of payment, if requested. The best way to do that is to call in. Most airlines prefer to just issue a credit for future travel, but if the airline cancels the flight, it is required to refund the cost, upon request.
Sorry, I worded that wrong, I meant if they, meaning my dh and his boss, cancel the flight.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter