Post all SW questions concerns, etc. here...

No. Don't cancel. There's an option to "CHANGE" the flight. Go through the change process using the same flight as the original. It will make the 'change' and give you the credit.

When I tried this I get all the way to the end but instead of the confirmation page I get an error message that says I need to re-select my flights. What am I doing wrong?

Well, that was easy. BWI to TPA. Some of the highest prices we have ever seen! No need to book.

FYI - Southwest extended their schedule this morning for flights through April 11th, 2021.

Here is my usual Historical Southwest Release Dates (for planning purposes) comment:

• NEXT RELEASE: 11/12/20 - travel through June 5th, 2021
  • 8/13/20 - travel through April 11th, 2021
  • 5/28/20 - travel through January 4th, 2021
  • 3/12/20 - travel through October 30th, 2020
  • 12/11/19 - travel through August 10th, 2020
  • 10/30/19 - travel through June 6th, 2020
  • 9/26/19 - travel through April 13th, 2020
  • 8/15/19 - travel through March 6th, 2020
  • 5/30/19 - travel through January 5th, 2020
  • 3/15/19 - travel through November 2nd, 2019
  • 1/31/19 - travel through October 1st, 2019
  • 11/15/18 - travel through August 5th, 2019
  • 9/27/18 - travel through June 8th, 2019
  • 8/30/18 - travel through April 7th, 2019
  • 6/28/18 - travel through March 6th, 2019
  • 5/31/18 - travel through January 6th, 2019
  • 3/8/18 - travel through November 3rd, 2018
  • 2/15/18 - travel through October 1st, 2018
  • 11/2/17 - travel through August 6th, 2018
  • 8/28/17 - travel through June 1st, 2018
  • 7/27/17 - travel through April 6th, 2018
  • 6/22/17 - travel through March 7th, 2018
  • 5/18/17 - travel through January 7th, 2018
*Subject to Change - check back frequently here: https://www.southwest.com/air/flight-schedules/

This chart could be useful to approximate when your travel time may become available for upcoming releases, however they don't always follow the exact same pattern (as you can see above) They appear to be tightening the inventory a bit this year vs. prior year's releases.

RELEASE TIMES (all times Eastern):
  • the release on 8/13/20 went live at 9:15am.
  • the release on 5/28/20 went live at 9:06am.
  • the release on 3/12/20 went live at 9:40am.
  • The release on 12/11/19 went live at 9:10am.
  • The release on 10/30/19 went live at 7:15am.
  • The release on 9/26/19 went live at 7:30am.
  • The release on 8/15/19 went live at 10:41am.
  • The release on 5/30/19 went live at 9:20am.
If you want to search back for this post in the future - just search my name and "release". But be advised that I will not go back and update this post if they alter the next release date in the future.

My flights for FLL in late January were already posted. I was a little disappointed in the number of points it took, but I did go ahead and book. I can always change. They will probably redo the schedule multiple times like they have for our flight to CHS in September.

I just bought my tickets for the flight down in April. Too bad the next schedule update isn't for 3 months so I can get the return trip.

Flights were decent from PVD-MCO considering it is February vacation- now I just hope we can go!! It's was a mad dash using different accounts/points but got it all done.

I was pretty happy with the non stop flight prices too, considering I am traveling on school break weeks. I hope I can keep these plans!

Flights for our March cruise out of Tampa were NOT great. I booked the flight down @ $120 (8400ish points) but the return out of both Tampa and Orlando are well over 10,000 points each. Heck I get RT from BDL to MCO for 11,500. So I play the wait & watch game.

I just realized I can use points to book something today and then make changes or upgrade without losing the points instead of using my travel funds...so I might as well do that.
Keep in mind your travel funds will expire so why not use them instead of your points.

Keep in mind your travel funds will expire so why not use them instead of your points.

don’t want to use travel funds as of right now they won’t expire until 9/22 but if I use Them my New flight will expire one year from today....I can exchange my travel funds for points which will not expire...

don’t want to use travel funds as of right now they won’t expire until 9/22 but if I use Them my New flight will expire one year from today....I can exchange my travel funds for points which will not expire...
I didn't have that issue when I used funds for my Sept trip. I had cancelled my CA trip in mid May and then used those funds for my Sept trip. When I cancelled the Sept flights, those funds still have a 9/22 expiration.

I didn't have that issue when I used funds for my Sept trip. I had cancelled my CA trip in mid May and then used those funds for my Sept trip. When I cancelled the Sept flights, those funds still have a 9/22 expiration.
Yes, but flights cancelled after September. 7 will have an expiration date of one year after the purchase date.

At this point, they are giving a very generous amount of points for travel funds. Very little down side to trading the travel funds for points. And as someone up thread pointed out, you are getting more points than a flight for that price would cost. I received 11,262 points for DH’s $144 travel fund. BUT a $144 flight only costs 10,262 points so I gained 1200 points in the exchange. So even if you are looking at using the funds right away, it makes sense to turn them into points first. Hope that made sense!

The one flight I wanted on the way home had no “Wanna Get Away” fares post at all. It only has “Anytime” and “Business Select” posted from the time it loaded today and throughout the 2,000 times I checked. Has anyone ever see this happen before? Will they add them later?

Yes and probably. I don’t subscribe to the idea that the best fares happen when the schedule opens. That MAY have been true at some point but not in my experience. I get the best fares by watching every day. The flights I want are in my recent searches on my SWA app and I check every day. When I find a reasonable fare, I book. Then I keep watching for drops and use the change function when they happen. I have been able to book BDL- MCO for no more than $100 non stop each way for years now. Currently have $75 down and $95 back. Have to be patient and willing to play the game but I have had great success.

Well, sadly I finally had to cancel our September flights to Disney. The extension of the Canada/US border closure was announced today (as anticipated) which means we would be unable to get to our flights.

We will still have the option to fly to Orlando should we choose to fly out of Toronto but with the mandatory quarantine upon return home and our decision this week that my daughter would be returning to class for schooling, that makes this trip pretty much impossible. I'm going to keep the money we have set aside for this trip tucked away and when things settle down we'll return to WDW or, do something we've talked about for years and visit Disneyland!!

The one flight I wanted on the way home had no “Wanna Get Away” fares post at all. It only has “Anytime” and “Business Select” posted from the time it loaded today and throughout the 2,000 times I checked. Has anyone ever see this happen before? Will they add them later?
This happened for the Month of March which happens to be SpringBreak travel to MCO and March Madness to Las Vegas! I noticed many people not finding discounts for their March planning on other posts....
I will keep looking.
Good luck!

This happened for the Month of March which happens to be SpringBreak travel to MCO and March Madness to Las Vegas! I noticed many people not finding discounts for their March planning on other posts....
I will keep looking.
Good luck!
Mine is for 4/11. End of Spring break week for a lot of K-12 schools, so I figured the flights would be high. Just wasn’t prepared for almost 40k points one way!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter