Problems With Closing Colleges For Coronavirus

I made the drive and picked her up. You all can think whatever you want, but with school cancelled or remote for the next 2 1/2 weeks, I think her parents should have picked her up (she lives 2 hours away in St. Louis). Some consideration has to be made when you're living in close quarters with someone who isn't even family. If my daughter was the one who was sick, I would have absolutely picked her up.

At least next year she has her own room and bathroom with doors that can be closed to mitigate exposure when things like this happen.

So, in Oregon the universities are going remote Do they really think these students are NOT going to get together for parties/clubbing/activities? Kinda seems ridiculous to think going remote is going to help unless they put them in house arrest or something. This is crazy!

I made the drive and picked her up. You all can think whatever you want, but with school cancelled or remote for the next 2 1/2 weeks, I think her parents should have picked her up (she lives 2 hours away in St. Louis). Some consideration has to be made when you're living in close quarters with someone who isn't even family. If my daughter was the one who was sick, I would have absolutely picked her up.

At least next year she has her own room and bathroom with doors that can be closed to mitigate exposure when things like this happen.

I would have done the same thing! And I recently did except my daughter was the one sick. We were on a road trip for her spring break and I picked up a horrible stomach bug. The day after she went back to school she got it. Knowing how awful it was, I went and picked her up and I am so glad I did. She threw up all the way home and for the next 12 hours continuously. If she was at school I know she would have gotten dehydrated with no one to look after her.

She is still home two days later and last night we got an email that her campus is closed today because someone has flu like symptoms and they are testing the student and cleaning the campus. I’m glad my daughter is home because her immune system is definitely weakened. She was also sick right before break.

I would think the the roommate’s mother would want her home to make sure her flu did not go from bad to worse. Especially now that the girl will be alone with no roommate to help her.

Why wouldn’t they just leave their stuff in the dorms and pick it up later?

Even in the cases where schools are allowing that, it is a problem for students who are far from home. Especially international students, but also those who went out of state for college. Getting a kid home on short notice when campus isn't within driving distance is hard enough. Sending them back to pack up and come home again at some unknown later date is even harder.

The problem with moving to all online classes is for those pursing music or theater arts degrees. While lessons could be given over Facetime/Skype, ensembles cannot rehearse, nor can they prepare for shows or musicals.

And science programs. DD is so stressed right now because she's in two pre-reqs in her major that have lab components, and she's worried that missing out on more than half of the labs will make it hard if not impossible to move on to the sophomore year sequence (which already has a reputation as the semester that weeds out those who "can't handle" the major). She has no margin for error in her course plan if she wants to graduate in four years, and since most of her financial aid only covers four years, that's essential. Losing more than half the labs in both bio and chem pre-reqs is going to make it much more difficult.

There won't be any shows or musicals. If classes need to be cancelled because they aren't conducive to being online, current grades will be the final grade and the class will be over at my son's university. I'm quite impressed with how they've handled it and how transparent they are being with information on the school site.

I'm not thrilled with DD's school's responses so far, but I do think they're doing the best they can. There's no published plan for classes that can't be done online, though, and grades are the least of my concerns. Getting a 4.0 based on the first 7 weeks of a 16 week class doesn't matter if it means not being equipped for the next set of classes in the fall! DD's professors have been trying to communicate with the kids to allay some of their concerns but the ultimate answer is that they just don't know what, if anything, they'll be able to do to make up the lost lab time or when/if classes will be able to resume.

You know what really irks me? The fact that as of right now, the NCAA is still planning on having March Madness. Sure, there won't be an audience... but there will still be teams flying all over the country and players interacting with one another in ways that make "social distancing" impossible, and then returning to their campuses to share whatever they may have picked up from other teams. Classes are too risky, but the basketball show must go on? That's a screwy set of priorities for a system of higher education!

Last night the university that I work for sent out an email saying that beginning 3/23 classes will move to an online format. All faculty/staff will continue to report to work. I'm curious if there will be any enforcement of students not coming to campus? Our second year medical students are studying for their board exams in six weeks, and most will study on campus rather than at home due to fewer distractions. So we're curious how many will still sneak onto campus.

Despite the Governor's announcement that SUNY schools will close and go to online learning on March 19 for the rest of the semester, my ds's school has decided to remain open with no plans of closing this time.

My dd's school has a tentative date for re-opening classes in one month. They are asking students to not return to campus after Spring break (starts mon) but they can return if they want, dorms will stay open and auxillary services will remain.

I don't think these schools had any real plan in place when the announcement was made. I'm not sure if I consider it a knee-jerk response by the Governor, but I don't think there was any consideration of some of things @Colleen27 mentioned above. It seems the schools have taken it upon themselves to try to make this as less of an academic (and possibly financial) burden on their students as they can.

I would have done the same thing! And I recently did except my daughter was the one sick. We were on a road trip for her spring break and I picked up a horrible stomach bug. The day after she went back to school she got it. Knowing how awful it was, I went and picked her up and I am so glad I did. She threw up all the way home and for the next 12 hours continuously. If she was at school I know she would have gotten dehydrated with no one to look after her.

She is still home two days later and last night we got an email that her campus is closed today because someone has flu like symptoms and they are testing the student and cleaning the campus. I’m glad my daughter is home because her immune system is definitely weakened. She was also sick right before break.

I would think the the roommate’s mother would want her home to make sure her flu did not go from bad to worse. Especially now that the girl will be alone with no roommate to help her.
I had the same thought about the roommate. No way would I leave my child there with nobody to help when she has flu and pneumonia. But her parents need to figure that out.

What a long drive home you had with your DD! But I would have done the same thing. I'm glad she's at home recovering with you.
Even in the cases where schools are allowing that, it is a problem for students who are far from home. Especially international students, but also those who went out of state for college. Getting a kid home on short notice when campus isn't within driving distance is hard enough. Sending them back to pack up and come home again at some unknown later date is even harder.

And science programs. DD is so stressed right now because she's in two pre-reqs in her major that have lab components, and she's worried that missing out on more than half of the labs will make it hard if not impossible to move on to the sophomore year sequence (which already has a reputation as the semester that weeds out those who "can't handle" the major). She has no margin for error in her course plan if she wants to graduate in four years, and since most of her financial aid only covers four years, that's essential. Losing more than half the labs in both bio and chem pre-reqs is going to make it much more difficult.

I'm not thrilled with DD's school's responses so far, but I do think they're doing the best they can. There's no published plan for classes that can't be done online, though, and grades are the least of my concerns. Getting a 4.0 based on the first 7 weeks of a 16 week class doesn't matter if it means not being equipped for the next set of classes in the fall! DD's professors have been trying to communicate with the kids to allay some of their concerns but the ultimate answer is that they just don't know what, if anything, they'll be able to do to make up the lost lab time or when/if classes will be able to resume.

You know what really irks me? The fact that as of right now, the NCAA is still planning on having March Madness. Sure, there won't be an audience... but there will still be teams flying all over the country and players interacting with one another in ways that make "social distancing" impossible, and then returning to their campuses to share whatever they may have picked up from other teams. Classes are too risky, but the basketball show must go on? That's a screwy set of priorities for a system of higher education!
Oh Colleen. That's so frustrating. I'm stressed for her. And for you. Those foundational science classes were the sort I was thinking when this all started out. Nobody cares about grades. There are far more important considerations, things they need to be learning so they don't end up struggling later. And the financial aid is also a huge piece of it for many kids. I was thinking about that yesterday as well. It's a huge concern for many kids.

Please keep us all posted on how she's doing.

Last night the university that I work for sent out an email saying that beginning 3/23 classes will move to an online format. All faculty/staff will continue to report to work. I'm curious if there will be any enforcement of students not coming to campus? Our second year medical students are studying for their board exams in six weeks, and most will study on campus rather than at home due to fewer distractions. So we're curious how many will still sneak onto campus.
Did your University advise the campus will be closed?

My alma mater will be online format but the campus will stay open.

Same deal as most schools for my son's college now (RIT). Extended spring break to March 23rd, with 'alternative learning formats' on that date. Campus is open, but no date given yet as to how long the online classes will last. Sometime in the next week, he'll get notified by each of his professors as to their plans moving forward. His biggest concern is his lab course, but we'll see what they do about that. For now, he's staying home (we're about a 4 1/2 hour drive away). He said there's a notebook or two in his dorm he'd like to have, but he can live without it. Him and his roommate might make a road trip back to campus to get a few things.

Honestly, my biggest concern is medical schools. The US already has a shortage of doctors and the last thing we need is to pause the process of creating more doctors. It's inconvenient but the rest can wait.

UD will stay open, you need to let them know if you are staying, or else your keycard won’t work. Limited dining halls will be open. Students can go back after next week’s break. I’m curious what Dd will do. On the one hand, I’d like to have her home with the uncertainty, and all of her HS friends are home, on the other hand she loves school. Plus, I have an autoimmune disease that would not do well with this virus, and I’m sure she will be socializing the whole time (she’s going to a concert in NYC Saturday, ds21 is going on a bar crawl and all of his friends are home). It’s going to be a germ fest.

Did your University advise the campus will be closed?

My alma mater will be online format but the campus will stay open.

I reread the email that the university was sent. Basically the only thing changing are classes. They will move online. employees will report to work, and clinical rotations will remain as usual. The only thing canceled are our spring events for students. So while classes are closed everything will apparently remain open and operational. Honestly it makes zero sense. :confused3:confused3:confused3

Honestly, my biggest concern is medical schools. The US already has a shortage of doctors and the last thing we need is to pause the process of creating more doctors. It's inconvenient but the rest can wait.
I work at a medical campus. While classes are moving online, rotations and residencies, and some practicums will remain functioning.

I'm a physical therapy student at a community college. We're on spring break this week and heard last night that spring break is extended through next Friday, and then we're doing remote learning through at least April 3rd. My class is pretty screwed right now; it's our last semester and we have a very tight timeline to be able to take the boards on time. We're supposed to have finals in two weeks, then go out on our last clinical rotation. I'm just waiting to hear the plan from my teachers, who are probably freaking out because this has never happened before.

I reread the email that the university was sent. Basically the only thing changing are classes. They will move online. employees will report to work, and clinical rotations will remain as usual. The only thing canceled are our spring events for students. So while classes are closed everything will apparently remain open and operational. Honestly it makes zero sense. :confused3:confused3:confused3
Here's what I put as my response on another thread:

Well considering some of the classes at my alma mater are 1,000 person ones I get their decision to move to online and allow for each week it to be a rolling decision. I don't think any decision will be perfect.

The campus stays open, dining halls stay open and dorm rooms stay open for my alma mater.

I don't think they are trying to eliminate ALL exposure but it can reduce certain larger exposures.

No matter what you cannot prohibit people from going out on their own time so no decision the Universities make will impact that but I also don't think the point like I said is to eliminate all exposure. They aren't imposing quarantines or isolations though there are guidance on who should be doing self-isolations based on individual factors (usually travel related).

One of the biggest factors IMO here is that Spring Break timing. The move to remote learning would probably still be the go to but the amped up possible exposure with Spring Breaks going on. Decisions probably would vary depending on time of year.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Like I mentioned before part of the official notice from my alma mater was "...keeps the university functioning and helps students continue toward their educational goals."

I think if there was a mass outbreak directly tied to a specific University perhaps they would take additional and much stricter measures and understandably so but this way, with the present exposure risks, etc it leans more towards the middle, careful consideration towards large classes and school-sponsored activities but with as little overall disruption as feasible.

Part of the issue is def. the responses and procedures for Universities are kinda all over the place but in a way that makes sense. Each area has their own unique factors (size, location, make up of student body, etc) different levels of risks for expsoure (number of cases, spread in their area, location, etc).

I don't think they are trying to eliminate ALL exposure but it can reduce certain larger exposures.

No matter what you cannot prohibit people from going out on their own time so no decision the Universities make will impact that but I also don't think the point like I said is to eliminate all exposure. They aren't imposing quarantines or isolations though there are guidance on who should be doing self-isolations based on individual factors (usually travel related).

I think you're right on the money with this. No campus is trying to STOP spread - I think at this point that's not possible without very extreme measures. But moving classes online and stopping some other activities (all my campus events are canceled) can help "flatten the curve" - which from what I understand will be the biggest thing we as a country can do to lower mortality rates. Life will go on but any measure to flatten the curve will be helpful, even if we don't totally lock everything down. Every class made online, every event canceled, can help slow spread and buy some time. It will be the cumulation of a lot of small measures like this that I think will help make a difference in whether or not the healthcare system gets overloaded.

I'm not sure how staying in a dorm with communal bathrooms is exposing the least amount of people.

They were all exposed already before she was diagnosed, her traveling will expose others and that is exactly what people are trying to get the public to understand! I get you are inconvenienced by this but it makes no sense to get angry at a young woman that is doing what everybody is being told to do. Her college dorm is her home. She is sick. She is staying in her home. She should not be leaving her home to travel to some other location, potentially exposing people along the way because you think it's inconvenient to you.

UGH. DD just called. Roommate has been diagnosed with flu and pneumonia. And she's not going home. So my DD gets to remain cooped up with her. She's furiously trying to get shifts covered. I told her I'd come get her tonight but she has a 10-1 AM shift.

Who the hell gets diagnosed with the flu and stays in their dorm room over a 2 week break?

Did it occur to you that maybe her alternative was to go home to immune-compromised parents? Or maybe her grandparents live with her parents and she didn't want to infect them? Exposing your daughter (who presumably is young and healthy) may have been the best choice she could make.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter