Problems With Closing Colleges For Coronavirus

So, in Oregon the universities are going remote Do they really think these students are NOT going to get together for parties/clubbing/activities? Kinda seems ridiculous to think going remote is going to help unless they put them in house arrest or something. This is crazy!
You have posted this same thought on many threads. The Universities cannot control if students can get together in clubs or at parties. They can control if they get together in classrooms. They are doing what they can. No solution is going to be perfect for every population, but overall steps need to be taken to flatten the curve of infections so we don't overwhelm our healthcare system.

The SEC just canceled all sporting events, including the conference basketball championship, through the end of the month.

The SEC just canceled all sporting events, including the conference basketball championship, through the end of the month.
The Big 12 Tournament was canceled as well today though I don't know about the NCAA tournament yet. And just last night was the decision to hold all remaining games without fans. I'm wondering if the NBA player testing positive made them more nervous which that news also came last night.

They were all exposed already before she was diagnosed, her traveling will expose others and that is exactly what people are trying to get the public to understand! I get you are inconvenienced by this but it makes no sense to get angry at a young woman that is doing what everybody is being told to do. Her college dorm is her home. She is sick. She is staying in her home. She should not be leaving her home to travel to some other location, potentially exposing people along the way because you think it's inconvenient to you.

We'll have to agree to disagree on this. Students in a dorm setting are not the same as people in their own homes. And the people they are living in the same room with are not family. Walking downstairs to get in her parents' car for the 2 hour drive home would not have exposed anyone on campus any more than they have been already. She has to be up and moving outside the room already to get access to food and bathroom facilities.
Did it occur to you that maybe her alternative was to go home to immune-compromised parents? Or maybe her grandparents live with her parents and she didn't want to infect them? Exposing your daughter (who presumably is young and healthy) may have been the best choice she could make.
That's the thing. You have no idea what my daughter's health history is. And neither does her roommate or her parents.

We'll have to agree to disagree on this. Students in a dorm setting are not the same as people in their own homes. And the people they are living in the same room with are not family. Walking downstairs to get in her parents' car for the 2 hour drive home would not have exposed anyone on campus any more than they have been already. She has to be up and moving outside the room already to get access to food and bathroom facilities.

That's the thing. You have no idea what my daughter's health history is. And neither does her roommate or her parents.

You are not getting that this is not about you, it is about EVERYBODY. This is a sick person that is STAYING PUT and you are mad because her doing what she is supposed to do is not working for YOU. She got sick there, she SHOULD STAY THERE. Not walk around, hop in a car with people who have not been exposed already. That is spreading germs right there to two people that were not previously exposed to her germs. And then what do her parents do now? Go out and expose more people or stay home? Well how about their daughter just stays where she is and doesn't even expose them to begin with and they at least can go about their lives hoping others are staying put? She got sick there, the germs are there. There is zero reason for this person to move anywhere else and people that try to justify her moving to a different location are not paying attention to the issue.

As for your daughter..... she was exposed before her roommate even went to the Doctor.

Be part of the solution, not part of the problem.

I’m not sure a sick person should stay in a communal living facility with shared bathrooms and food options. If this is a world where we take personal responsibility for ourselves, then her parents need to get her home and if their immune systems are compromised and they need to find a way to keep her safe from them as well.

But endangering however many students live in the dorm through continued exposure in the interest of staying put is crazy. I don’t think that’s what anybody is being told to do by public health officials

You are not getting that this is not about you, it is about EVERYBODY. This is a sick person that is STAYING PUT and you are mad because her doing what she is supposed to do is not working for YOU. She got sick there, she SHOULD STAY THERE. Not walk around, hop in a car with people who have not been exposed already. That is spreading germs right there to two people that were not previously exposed to her germs. And then what do her parents do now? Go out and expose more people or stay home? Well how about their daughter just stays where she is and doesn't even expose them to begin with and they at least can go about their lives hoping others are staying put? She got sick there, the germs are there. There is zero reason for this person to move anywhere else and people that try to justify her moving to a different location are not paying attention to the issue.

As for your daughter..... she was exposed before her roommate even went to the Doctor.

Be part of the solution, not part of the problem.
You don't get it. She can't stay put in her room. There is no bathroom and no kitchen.

I’m not sure a sick person should stay in a communal living facility with shared bathrooms and food options. If this is a world where we take personal responsibility for ourselves, then her parents need to get her home and if their immune systems are compromised and they need to find a way to keep her safe from them as well.

But endangering however many students live in the dorm through continued exposure in the interest of staying put is crazy. I don’t think that’s what anybody is being told to do by public health officials
It is certainly a unique situation and there is no perfect answer. Stay and risk getting dormies sick. Travel home and risk getting others sick en route and then family members sick when you get there. No matter how you slice it, someone is getting exposed.

It is certainly a unique situation and there is no perfect answer. Stay and risk getting dormies sick. Travel home and risk getting others sick en route and then family members sick when you get there. No matter how you slice it, someone is getting exposed.
I will add that in this case there is no "en route" risk. It's just under 2 hours door to door.

Ever spend the night in the dorm with one? ;)

This is the flu though. It's respiratory so no vomit involved.
Yeah, like i said, no great options. If the other girl were mine, I'd be putting her up in a hotel or bringing her home (her choice). If the sick girl were mine, I would have picked her up myself and brought her home.

I don't blame the schools for the changes going on. In this day and time where everyone sues for anything, can you imagine if the kids were sick on campus and the school held liable. If kids are out partying or carrying on, that is on them and/or the parents that didn't say keep your behind in the house for a few days. Also, I can't imagine the difficulty of trying to constantly keep cleaning dorms, classrooms and other public places like bathrooms with industrial strength cleaners and the risk to the people. This whole thing is total pain in the *** and if the schools did nothing there be lot of unhappy parents saying something loudly.

Yeah, like i said, no great options. If the other girl were mine, I'd be putting her up in a hotel or bringing her home (her choice). If the sick girl were mine, I would have picked her up myself and brought her home.
Yep. All bad options. I was picking my daughter up whether she was the sick one or the roomie. These are not suite mates. This is a traditional dorm with a single room with 2 beds. Beds are bunked so sick girl is right up top. Bathroom is down the hall. Food is in the dining hall downstairs.

Yep. All bad options. I was picking my daughter up whether she was the sick one or the roomie. These are not suite mates. This is a traditional dorm with a single room with 2 beds. Beds are bunked so sick girl is right up top. Bathroom is down the hall. Food is in the dining hall downstairs.
Didn't know they still had those old school dorms out there. My kids and their friends all had rooms with a couple of students and a shared bathroom. On had one bathroom to share between 2 rooms - 4 total girls. No communal bathrooms/showers.

Didn't know they still had those old school dorms out there. My kids and their friends all had rooms with a couple of students and a shared bathroom. On had one bathroom to share between 2 rooms - 4 total girls. No communal bathrooms/showers.
Old schools have "old school dorms." My son goes to a 300-year-old school and shares his bathroom with 25 other students.

One of the things my daughter preferred about the communal style dorm was that the bathrooms would be professionally cleaned on a routine basis. The shared suite bathrooms have to be cleaned by the residents. Not ideal when one of them is sick. Or if some just don't pull their weight.

My son goes to Rowan (NJ) and they have brand new dorms (built in the last two years that houses mostly freshmen and sophomores) that use community bathrooms and the rooms have two kids per room. Two twin sized beds...no bunks. No kitchens either but community dining halls.

His Spring Break starts Monday 3/16. They were due to go back 3/23 but now it's 3/30. This is so teachers can come up with a plan in case they have to go to online classes.

Kids can stay at the dorms. They aren't closing the dorms.

Only students and faculty can attend certain sporting events. No outsiders. Everything else is pretty much cancelled.

I expect Rowan to go online and announce it during spring break.

My college had a variety of options available so it depended on the type of room you wanted, the dorm room selected and any qualifiers for a particular dorm.

For instance I lived in a 2-bedroom 4 person suite 1 bathroom my sophmore year. That dorm room had a requirement that each semester each student had to complete 8hours of community service or you would not be allowed back in that particular dorm the next semester. Another dorm hall had GPA requirements, and so on. My freshman year I lived in a 2 person room but paid extra to have it by myself and it was communal (same gender though) bathrooms. My junior and senior year I moved off campus to an apartment.

My alma mater still requires all students live on campus and only gives private bathrooms to seniors. Everyone else shares a communal bathroom with their entire hall

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter