• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Punishing my family by making them go

Just out of curiosity...why did you choose WDW for this particular vacation?

I don't think you have to be a Disney fan necessarily, to just go and enjoy the parks...but it sure helps, LOL!
What are their expectations? Why do they have a negative idea of the trip in the first place? Why do they think it's a bad idea?

WDW isn't just about rides, it's about an immersive experience. A person can have a bad attitude and declare almost anything "babyish", but there are plenty of adults who regularly make WDW their preferred vacation destination, and it's because there are so many options.

For Disney fans, it's a chance to live the magic - movies, shows, and characters are alive right in front of you! But it's more than characters and rides - the level of detail is stunning. From the architecture to the music, the way even the ground changes as you move from land to land.

Magic Kingdom has the castle and classic attractions. Epcot has food and drinks and the World Showcase, as well as Soarin, Living with the Land, and The Seas for nature lovers. Animal Kingdom is probably the best themed park ever, and if you have conservation minded kids, they should love it. Pandora is unbelievable and pictures don't do it justice. Hollywood Studios has a fun vibe different from all the other parks, and is more compact, which makes getting around easy. The Indiana Jones stunt show might be something your older kids enjoy.

You can visit the other resorts for meals, rent boats, go on a fishing excursion, golf, waterparks, and more. There is truly something for everyone if they give it a chance. Maybe check out some of the tours for your older kids, if you think that might be more up their alley. Disney Springs has movies and bowling in addition to shopping and dining.

If they truly aren't interested and are being downers about the whole thing, I'd seriously consider leaving them behind. It won't be fun for anyone if there's a lot of complaining going on. I understand wanting the entire family to be together, but you want to look back on this vacation as a happy memory and don't want it to be something you're dying to forget.

I don't think you have to be a Disney fan necessarily, to just go and enjoy the parks...but it sure helps, LOL!
What are their expectations? Why do they have a negative idea of the trip in the first place? Why do they think it's a bad idea?

WDW isn't just about rides, it's about an immersive experience. A person can have a bad attitude and declare almost anything "babyish", but there are plenty of adults who regularly make WDW their preferred vacation destination, and it's because there are so many options.

For Disney fans, it's a chance to live the magic - movies, shows, and characters are alive right in front of you! But it's more than characters and rides - the level of detail is stunning. From the architecture to the music, the way even the ground changes as you move from land to land.

Magic Kingdom has the castle and classic attractions. Epcot has food and drinks and the World Showcase, as well as Soarin, Living with the Land, and The Seas for nature lovers. Animal Kingdom is probably the best themed park ever, and if you have conservation minded kids, they should love it. Pandora is unbelievable and pictures don't do it justice. Hollywood Studios has a fun vibe different from all the other parks, and is more compact, which makes getting around easy. The Indiana Jones stunt show might be something your older kids enjoy.

You can visit the other resorts for meals, rent boats, go on a fishing excursion, golf, waterparks, and more. There is truly something for everyone if they give it a chance. Maybe check out some of the tours for your older kids, if you think that might be more up their alley. Disney Springs has movies and bowling in addition to shopping and dining.

If they truly aren't interested and are being downers about the whole thing, I'd seriously consider leaving them behind. It won't be fun for anyone if there's a lot of complaining going on. I understand wanting the entire family to be together, but you want to look back on this vacation as a happy memory and don't want it to be something you're dying to forget.

beautifully said!

The two older kids are adults. They should be able to decide if they want to go or not. If they really don't want to go, plan your trip for a less crowded time. If the 17 year old doesn't want to go but can stay with his older sibling while you're away, that could work. I would suggest that they be encouraged to come anyway if they've never been there. Let them try out each of the parks once and leave if they want. They can then hop to another park or go to a water park, hang out at the resort or Uber to someplace in the area that interests them more (Universal, Disney Springs?). If they really get bored they can rent a car and drive to either coast to spend a day or two at the beach, take an airboat tour in the Everglades, etc.

So if they are into camping I'm going to assume maybe they like animals and the outdoors? So what about a behind the scenes tour at AK- something just for the older ones that is a little more adventurous?
What about an evening at Disney Springs or Universal City Walk?
I get you wanting to make them come and make them enjoy it but it could totally backfire..So I think I would have planned time for them to be away from the group already so they just don't feel totally immersed in all the Disney stuff. You never know they may really enjoy themselves the first day - if not pushed and want to spend the rest of the trip together as a family.

When the older kids say "no rides" do they not like theme parks at all? Would they happily go on roller coasters or thrill rides somewhere like Six Flags or Universal? Or do they just think the rides are for babies (which they totally aren't and are tons of fun)?

I think all 3 will enjoy epcot, but what about the rest of the parks...characters are out, rides are out...both of which theyll be "punished" with for their siblings anyway.

I personally don't understand why you're making two adults go on a vacation that they don't want to go on, and that you've referred to as a punishment. You're potentially throwing away hundreds - if not thousands - of dollars. I'm not sure if you're looking for validation for your decision, as I don't see a way to 'make' them want to go to the parks or enjoy something they've clearly said they won't.

My two cents is take the kids that want to go, and leave the adults (and older teen) who don't want to go.

We have gone twice with reluctant teens both who caused lots of unnecessary stress on the trip. It wasn’t worth it. The second trip it was my friend who took her 3 grandchildren. None of them really enjoyed the themselves until she offered to let the 16yo stay back at the resort. She wished she’d thought of it earlier as she really put a damper on the trip.

If they don’t want to go they are no longer children and I would plan a trip for those who want to go, even if it means going on your own. You’re spending too much money if they don’t want to be there!! You can have a great time on your own!

I have to say, I was really pleasantly surprised when we first went (I picked it as a dream destination for my then 4 yo some could get married and he would have a fab time too) at how much non kiddie stuff there is at WDW. There is so much to do for all ages.
I don't know how you can get that across, but maybe people saying so will help?

I agree with your opinions and thank you for the suggestions.
I chose this now because I don't want my younger kids to miss out like my older ones did. (Or end up not wanting to go like the older ones) I want my older ones to go because we are finally going. I have been planning a trip to DW since my 22 yr old was a baby, now she's moved out with a family :( and yea, I am planning to take them on a seperate trip.
Anyway, I finally got sick enough of putting it off and said we are going, as in booking NOW. And I did.. I wish I had years ago.
My oldest just got to the point he would actually be living in the woods away from everyone if given the chance LOL. He's really only into real stuff(culture, nature, foods) which is awesome but I wish he could be a little lighter about silly stuff like Disney. It actually breaks my heart I didn't take him/them when he was little.
I don't think they have expectations, they just think it's going to be boring, too kiddie etc

When the older kids say "no rides" do they not like theme parks at all? Would they happily go on roller coasters or thrill rides somewhere like Six Flags or Universal? Or do they just think the rides are for babies (which they totally aren't and are tons of fun)?
They don't really look at the rides as for babies but more so just don't enjoy them.

I personally don't understand why you're making two adults go on a vacation that they don't want to go on, and that you've referred to as a punishment. You're potentially throwing away hundreds - if not thousands - of dollars. I'm not sure if you're looking for validation for your decision, as I don't see a way to 'make' them want to go to the parks or enjoy something they've clearly said they won't.

My two cents is take the kids that want to go, and leave the adults (and older teen) who don't want to go.
Just looking for ideas. The rest was said more jokingly which might have been a mistake

Guess I kinda set myself up on the initial postings, was just trying to put a picture out there. None of them are flipping out or even angry, more of Alright I will go but I am not really seeing anything I am interested in...hence the request for suggestions. They are going to help me with the babies, ride rides, stand in line and so on. Not ecstatic but not hating life, thankfully helpful, but not somewhere they would go on their own. Was really hoping to find more they would be interested in so they could actually enjoy themselves as much as possible, not miss out on anything because they will probably never go back or best result, want to go back when I take my oldest daughter and her kids.

OP, I'm afraid you are setting yourself up for a big disappointment.
I can hope not, but no matter what it is a once in a lifetime trip, So whatever happens happens and they won't forget it and hopefully won't want to ~8:-

We went often when my kids were small. My oldest decided when he was 15, he never wanted to go back. He is now 34 and still hasn't gone back. We have taken his wife several times and while he will go on the trip with us, he will never go to the parks and will just go and visit some friends he has. My sister in law is the same way. She went once and didn't like it so she never went back and her kids have never been. Some people just don't like that kind of thing and you can't change their minds.

If you still want them to go, can they go on the trip and then just do their own thing once you get there. Not buy park tickets for them because they are expensive and then meet up later for meals?

We went often when my kids were small. My oldest decided when he was 15, he never wanted to go back. He is now 34 and still hasn't gone back. We have taken his wife several times and while he will go on the trip with us, he will never go to the parks and will just go and visit some friends he has. My sister in law is the same way. She went once and didn't like it so she never went back and her kids have never been. Some people just don't like that kind of thing and you can't change their minds.

If you still want them to go, can they go on the trip and then just do their own thing once you get there. Not buy park tickets for them because they are expensive and then meet up later for meals?
We already got tickets. The whole vacation has been set up. Just planning now.

Guess I kinda set myself up on the initial postings, was just trying to put a picture out there. None of them are flipping out or even angry, more of Alright I will go but I am not really seeing anything I am interested in...hence the request for suggestions. They are going to help me with the babies, ride rides, stand in line and so on. Not ecstatic but not hating life, thankfully helpful, but not somewhere they would go on their own. Was really hoping to find more they would be interested in so they could actually enjoy themselves as much as possible, not miss out on anything because they will probably never go back or best result, want to go back when I take my oldest daughter and her kids.

How many babies do you have and what are their ages? Have you considered that the older three won't consider it much of a vacation if they can't do things they really are interested in because you expect them to help you with their younger siblings? I can see why they might be uninterested if, for example, you expect them to wait in line for Winnie the Pooh so the little ones can ride. Can you manage the babies without their help?

They are going to help me with the babies, ride rides, stand in line and so on. Not ecstatic but not hating life, thankfully helpful, but not somewhere they would go on their own.

It might not feel like a vacation to them at all --- babysitting the younger siblings. Varying degrees of resentment may set in, alternating with feelings of forced obligation to you. They might not show it. At that age they want to be independent and free. Their idea of a vacation is probably without all the siblings, and probably without their parents. They are practically adults. Especially coming from a big family --- they need to have their "alone" moments. It's something you should discuss if you haven't already. I know how they feel, I come from a big family myself. I know you probably already feel bad about it, but this is big imposition on them. If they go, I hope they will feel truly appreciated and valued for their help.

How many babies do you have and what are their ages? Have you considered that the older three won't consider it much of a vacation if they can't do things they really are interested in because you expect them to help you with their younger siblings? I can see why they might be uninterested if, for example, you expect them to wait in line for Winnie the Pooh so the little ones can ride. Can you manage the babies without their help?
I knew this question was coming haha. Yes we could handle them but I prefer not to alone. Mostly because i am scared of sickos but my younger ones will be 9, 6, 4 2 and 11 months. My older ones(14, 17, 20, 21) do great helping and don't really even mind helping, in fact have said(more excitedly than I expected) that they would ride the rides with them. It's just a lot easier to come up with kiddo pleasers than teen/adults

It might not feel like a vacation to them at all --- babysitting the younger siblings. Varying degrees of resentment may set in, alternating with feelings of forced obligation to you. They might not show it. At that age they want to be independent and free. Their idea of a vacation is probably without all the siblings, and probably without their parents. They are practically adults. Especially coming from a big family --- they need to have their "alone" moments. It's something you should discuss if you haven't already. I know how they feel, I come from a big family myself. I know you probably already feel bad about it, but this is big imposition on them. If they go, I hope they will feel truly appreciated and valued for their help.
Thats why I am trying to find things they would like =) i honestly want them to enjoy themselves as well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter