Punishing my family by making them go

In short, my 2 sons are against this trip, my oldest daughter isnt sure. Looking for advice on how to make this an enjoyable trip and maybe, possibly..hoping to get them to want to go back, but if not..at least remember this as a great trip and not come home saying "I told you this was stupid from the start, I hated it."
"NO characters, no rides...grumble rant complain"
So, not sure what to call this, but I think a few of my family members would agree with the title
*Begin long post...
I have a 20 year old son who was hating the whole trip before it was even planned, his 17 year old brother, not far behind him in thoughts who actually asked where the closest bridge was when I told him about it. My 19 year old daughter who isn't quite sure what to think(and then all their little siblings who the trips going to mostly be for)
I'm very sad I had never just planned a trip before now and their response now is "why do I have to go?"
I've asked all of them what they'd like to do or are even slightly interested in. I have watched the videos, I've been looking up info for literally years. I search adults stuff, I search everything I can think of.
My oldest is...hard to explain. He isn't a stick in the mud, but I guess just likes what he likes...kinda serious. He likes talking to older people more than peers, likes working for people(except his mother haha), loves hanging out with my 2 year old and his 4 year old nephew...for short periods. Doesn't like crowds or kiddie stuff, which right there makes me think the ship has sunk, but then there's Epcot I think he's going to like.
I think all 3 will enjoy epcot, but what about the rest of the parks...characters are out, rides are out...both of which theyll be "punished" with for their siblings anyway.
Lol and sigh.
*(have tent camping reservations for March 18-23, planning to go to all 4 parks. Yes, crappy crowd time but 2 oldest are in college)
All suggestions ( other than don't make them go =p ) appreciated.
Thanks =)

Maybe plan some dinner shows or something during the trip for them to participate in (they might also love Disney Springs or the Water Parks), and let them explore the parks and the pools and the shopping on thier own for at least some of the time. Let them sleep in and join you later in the day.

I agree with your opinions and thank you for the suggestions.
I chose this now because I don't want my younger kids to miss out like my older ones did. (Or end up not wanting to go like the older ones) I want my older ones to go because we are finally going. I have been planning a trip to DW since my 22 yr old was a baby, now she's moved out with a family :( and yea, I am planning to take them on a seperate trip.
Anyway, I finally got sick enough of putting it off and said we are going, as in booking NOW. And I did.. I wish I had years ago.
My oldest just got to the point he would actually be living in the woods away from everyone if given the chance LOL. He's really only into real stuff(culture, nature, foods) which is awesome but I wish he could be a little lighter about silly stuff like Disney. It actually breaks my heart I didn't take him/them when he was little.
I don't think they have expectations, they just think it's going to be boring, too kiddie etc

I didn't go until I was 18, and my mom and I had a blast. If anything it's completely overwhelming the first time (my mom and I made a lot of rookie mistakes). I did go on an extended family trip with my grumpy cousins. The best thing we did was let the grumpy cousins do their own thing (within reason). The cousins were less than thrilled to be there (they'd gone to disney practically every year and preferred universal) and it was my first trip in a couple years. We'd get to the park at rope drop, split up into different family groups and have a time/place to reconnect.

I know we all have different family dynamics, so I am not getting how you make an adult go?

You don't. I get wanting a family vacation, but it should be something everyone should agree on, IF they want to go at all. I know it's blasphemous to say here, but not everyone's good time is going to Disney, even if they've never been before. Some people just don't like or want to experience Theme Parks and that's okay. If you have the adult (and almost adult) kids saying no, you can't force them to go (and honestly with the driving schedule it sounds like a disaster). If she really wants to go (and it sounds like more of a trip for her than the kids) then they can take the little ones and leave the older ones at home.

If this was really a family trip you would have chosen a destination everyone in the family would enjoy. At least be honest with them. If you are somehow requiring them to go so you have enough adults to give the younger kids the trip the older ones never got, don't add insult to injury by trying to convince them it's for their benefit. Maybe just pay them to help like you would a babysitter.

March 18-23

My college kids spring break...yes sucky time!

Easter isn't until April, so I'm not sure that week in March is huge spring break season yet. I could be wrong.

I just can't seem to find anything outside of epcot/food I think they will like.

So start with Epcot and food.

The few things I have, I got the "why would I want to do that"

WHAT were the things you got that in response to? Starting from nothing is hard. What resources have you looked at, what have you suggested already?

They aren't really into the rides

Have they ever been on themepark rides?

We are driving from Colorado, but maybe we can fit them in.

omg. I'm all about a roadtrip in the future, but not that long, not with little kids, and not for just a WEEK at the destination. And then you have to drive all the way back...

My oldest just got to the point he would actually be living in the woods away from everyone if given the chance LOL. He's really only into real stuff(culture, nature, foods) which is awesome but I wish he could be a little lighter about silly stuff like Disney. It actually breaks my heart I didn't take him/them when he was little.

A person like that was likely never going to be into Disney at all. You didn't change things by not taking him to Disney when little.

I don't think they have expectations, they just think it's going to be boring, too kiddie etc

Thinking it'll be boring and too kiddie are expectations. So yes they have them.

"I am not really seeing anything I am interested in"

What are you looking at, what are you showing them?

I know we all have different family dynamics, so I am not getting how you make an adult go?

I think if she's paying for their college and maintaining space in the home for college breaks, she controls things like where they vacation. That's one way HOW a parent controls where their young adult vacations...

Personally I would have loved to have gone on vacation with my parents when I was in college. They never offered or went. I felt fortunate that I at least was able to go on spring break trips with the college choir.

So since leaving them behind is not an option, here is what I would do. I would tell them to knock it off.

This. They are old enough to be able to control their emotions and have some manners. There are worse things that could happen to them than going on vacation to Florida.

Sorry, I just can't get past the driving from Colorado to WDW for a week vacation. It's a 27-30 hour drive. Are you driving non-stop? Have you driven this distance before non-stop? With young children? You're going to get there and be tired before you even hit the park!

You asked for all suggestions so here it goes: Go at another time when you have more than 6 days for driving and playing in the parks. I know a family who made this trip from Arvada to Fort Wilderness with their camper-trailer. On the way back they were so exhausted everyone fell asleep in Kansas. With no one to talk to, the father also fell asleep at the wheel.

Sorry, I just can't get past the driving from Colorado to WDW for a week vacation. It's a 27-30 hour drive. Are you driving non-stop? Have you driven this distance before non-stop? With young children? You're going to get there and be tired before you even hit the park!

You asked for all suggestions so here it goes: Go at another time when you have more than 6 days for driving and playing in the parks. I know a family who made this trip from Arvada to Fort Wilderness with their camper-trailer. On the way back they were so exhausted everyone fell asleep in Kansas. With no one to talk to, the father also fell asleep at the wheel.

I think we may have just found another reason why she wants the oldest kids to go along. No matter how you look at it, a drive like this for a week-long trip is not a good idea. If you want to spend any time at the actual destination, you'd have to drive non-stop. If you decide to stop somewhere overnight on the way, you lose at least half your vacation to driving time. I wouldn't want to do this with just my husband and I, let alone a huge family that includes a baby.

I think we may have just found another reason why she wants the oldest kids to go along. No matter how you look at it, a drive like this for a week-long trip is not a good idea. If you want to spend any time at the actual destination, you'd have to drive non-stop. If you decide to stop somewhere overnight on the way, you lose at least half your vacation to driving time. I wouldn't want to do this with just my husband and I, let alone a huge family that includes a baby.

Even driving straight through, that's only 5 days to cram everything in for a 'dream vacation'. That's not a dream vacation, it's a total nightmare. What happens if there's a major accident and the road is closed for a day (it happens!) and they end up having to stay a night somewhere? Car problems can also sideline a trip quickly and if it's not an easy fix or a near a place that has parts readily available then the vacation is pretty much over even before it starts (plus if you HAVE to be back by a certain time...there's that too!). I am all for road trips (did cross-country last year) but you need to plan for anything/everything to go wrong and have a back-up plan, which includes not even getting to your destination.

If I were the older kids, I would say no way will I go and stick to it. Sorry mom, they are adults and purse-strings or not I would tell you flat out no.

I just remembered something that might be helpful to the OP. My parents always planned family trips when most or all of us were available for a trip and it was expected or assumed that we attend vacation if we could. It wasn't a purse string thing, just an expectation. There was one trip for which I felt had a better offer (babysitting on the beach in Florida), and I didn't want to go on the family trip at all. For that trip, my parents did tell me I had to go our family trip. I was definitely shocked that it ended up being one of my most favorite trips ever. I just wanted to say this because I think the kids will all have a great time. It's really more about being together than where you go sometimes.

My last vacation with my parents was when I was 16. I’m very blessed my adult children often vacation with us , and my parents did join us on several vacations once I had kids, but adult children have their own busy lives and you can’t force them to go. Sometimes they want to vacation with friends or have job or school that can’t be missed.

If your oldest is into cultural and outdoorsy stuff, he will probably enjoy animal kingdom. The Lion King Show, pandora, the Safari, all the animal trails, the bird show (can't remember the name..), all the little cultural shows throughout the park. All the shows throughout Epcot, the aquarium there.

They'd enjoy the Indiana Jones Stunt show in Hollywood studios I'm sure. Any of the night shows and fireworks.

Make sure they have time to do things on their own as well. Are the older kids staying in their own tent?

OP, there are other things to do that aren't in the parks.
There are watersports, golf, mini-golf, kayaking, fishing excursions, bowling at Disney Springs, tours (not all require park admission), etc.
Not sure what your budget is, but there is plenty of stuff for them to do while you and the younger ones do something else that the older one may not be interested in.

I totally get wanting all your kids on your family vacation. I only have 3 and my dd missed our last one. The older they get the harder it is to plan something when all of them have the time off.
You have a pretty large group with a big age difference and at some point it won't be possible to get them all together, so there is nothing wrong with taking advantage of this trip, it may be the last one with everyone.

Sorry, I just can't get past the driving from Colorado to WDW for a week vacation. It's a 27-30 hour drive. Are you driving non-stop? Have you driven this distance before non-stop? With young children? You're going to get there and be tired before you even hit the park!... .

Even driving straight through, that's only 5 days to cram everything in for a 'dream vacation'. That's not a dream vacation, it's a total nightmare. What happens if there's a major accident and the road is closed for a day (it happens!) and they end up having to stay a night somewhere? ...

This is why I actually don't believe OP is a mother of 10 driving from CO.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter