Question about "parking" the ECV while on rides?

mzspaz

Mouseketeer
Our trip will be kicking off in a few days and I am just about at the end of my research window. This will be my first trip with mobility issues due to a messed up knee and a "slipped" disc (thanks to my attempt to get back in shape and work out on a treadmill).

I have been reading a lot of information on these boards and it has been extremely helpful in calming some of my anxieties. I was not aware that on most rides you can stay in the ECV through the line. That is very different from what I am used to since our last trip was in 2012.

What I can't figure out is if there is a special "parking" spot at the end of the line, before you get on the ride, for the ECV. I saw the tips about tying a brightly colored ribbon or something to identify your ECV in the gaggle of other ECVs, so I imagine there is some type of holding area. But will I be parking it there or will a CM be parking it there? Just trying to figure that out so I know what to expect.

Thanks!

For the ride where you take your ECV in line with you. You will either park your ECV and walk a few feet to the ride vehicle or you will park close to the ride and a CM will put the ECV in free wheel mode and move the ECV after you get on the ride. Sometimes while on a ride the CM will move your ECV around a little to make room but it should be close to where you left it. The color ribbon comes in handily when you can walk some and you park your ECV outside the lines somewhere and walk around the land a store or go do a short line and your gone for 15+ minutes this is when like stroller they get moved a little more.

hope you have a great trip

Thanks gap2368! That makes sense. I will be trying to walk as much as possible (gotta get those PT exercises in) so I know I will be parking it to wander around stores and such.

I appreciate you providing the last piece of the puzzle for our trip!

For the ride where you take your ECV in line with you. You will either park your ECV and walk a few feet to the ride vehicle or you will park close to the ride and a CM will put the ECV in free wheel mode and move the ECV after you get on the ride. Sometimes while on a ride the CM will move your ECV around a little to make room but it should be close to where you left it. The color ribbon comes in handily when you can walk some and you park your ECV outside the lines somewhere and walk around the land a store or go do a short line and your gone for 15+ minutes this is when like stroller they get moved a little more.

hope you have a great trip

Thanks gap2368! That makes sense. I will be trying to walk as much as possible (gotta get those PT exercises in) so I know I will be parking it to wander around stores and such.

I appreciate you providing the last piece of the puzzle for our trip!
don't know if you have planned on this but take a towel to cover seat when leaving ECV outside as sets can get hot in sun. also a rain poncho to pit over seat in case rain is threatening and if riding in rain make sure poncho covers both you and back of seat. when using in line your ECV will meet you at ride exit most times as pp said. have a great trip

Betty thanks for the tips. I never thought about a towel and I guess I will pack an extra poncho for the ECV!

Not sure if you are renting an ECV or bringing your own. The outside rental companies (not the one you rent in the park) tend to give you a shower cap for the control panel of the ECV as a courtesy. Never thought about draping a towel over the seat, though, that's a good idea. Hopefully it doesn't blow away. I also second the notion of using a ribbon, bandana, etc to make your ECV stand out from the rest so it's easier to find (especially in the Haunted Mansion ECV parking!)

To actually and finally answer your question, if you can take your ECV through the queue up to the loading area, then a cast member will move it for you to the unload area (or close to it). For Pirates and Haunted Mansion (and maybe others), you do have to park it outside of the attraction and either walk in or use a courtesy wheelchair. I believe cast members help direct you if you have to use a wheelchair. In the case of Space Ship Earth, you are directed to the wheelchair entrance, where you park and walk a short distance to a waiting area which will be your loading and unloading area. It's the unloading area for everyone else (it's the ride exit, basically) but for those with mobility issues, you'll be loading and unloading in that area. If you choose to ride Under the Sea with Nemo and Friends, be aware the queue can be rather dark, so be careful if you have vision troubles in low light. Pirates and the Little Mermaid ride are the same way. If you're able to walk that queue, use a companion to help guide you.

I hope this wasn't too confusing. Just trying to remember everything I've experienced during our last 3 trips.

Not confusing at all....very helpful in fact!

We are renting an ECV from Scooterbug (simply for the convenience of having it dropped off and picked up without us being there).

Thank you for taking the time to add the details from your experiences. It will be helpful for my trip!

Not sure if you are renting an ECV or bringing your own. The outside rental companies (not the one you rent in the park) tend to give you a shower cap for the control panel of the ECV as a courtesy. Never thought about draping a towel over the seat, though, that's a good idea. Hopefully it doesn't blow away. I also second the notion of using a ribbon, bandana, etc to make your ECV stand out from the rest so it's easier to find (especially in the Haunted Mansion ECV parking!)

To actually and finally answer your question, if you can take your ECV through the queue up to the loading area, then a cast member will move it for you to the unload area (or close to it). For Pirates and Haunted Mansion (and maybe others), you do have to park it outside of the attraction and either walk in or use a courtesy wheelchair. I believe cast members help direct you if you have to use a wheelchair. In the case of Space Ship Earth, you are directed to the wheelchair entrance, where you park and walk a short distance to a waiting area which will be your loading and unloading area. It's the unloading area for everyone else (it's the ride exit, basically) but for those with mobility issues, you'll be loading and unloading in that area. If you choose to ride Under the Sea with Nemo and Friends, be aware the queue can be rather dark, so be careful if you have vision troubles in low light. Pirates and the Little Mermaid ride are the same way. If you're able to walk that queue, use a companion to help guide you.

I hope this wasn't too confusing. Just trying to remember everything I've experienced during our last 3 trips.

Also, if you don't see the parking place for scooters readily nearby (often it's with the strollers), just ask the CM at the attraction. They're very nice and used to ECVers. On my first trip using an ECV, I was solo and asked repeatedly "Where do I park this?" At one attraction, the CM not only pointed out the parking place, but she was very willing to come over with a wheelchair to bring me back to the attraction even though parking was close by.

Glad to hear that Simba's Mom. The last time we were at Disney World was 2012 and often the CMs seemed aggravated with the scooters. That was before the changes with the DAS.

Glad to hear that Simba's Mom. The last time we were at Disney World was 2012 and often the CMs seemed aggravated with the scooters. That was before the changes with the DAS.

Things have changed a lot since then - there are SO many more personal mobility devices in use at the Parks that everyone is more accepting, and more used to them.

Yes, you will occasionally find a CM - or even another Guest - who is cranky about something. That's *their* problem, not yours. Go on and enjoy yourself - you are at Disney World, where we all want to be! 🙂

Regarding cranky CMs and guests, when I first rented an ECV, I drove away waiting for the snarky comments and looks I was SURE I'd get. Yet, fortunately (and surprisingly) I got none-no, one. I had a grandmother give me a dirty look after I almost ran into her grandson. He ran directly in front of my scooter, looking the other way-he was only about 3-4 yo, and it appeared that he'd escaped her clutches and was making a mad dash somewhere. I think she was really angry at him, and was looking for someone else to blame. CMs have been super-last year I even had a CM, after wheeling me in a wheelchair (it was PotC), give me 3 FP+ "for being so nice about the fact that you had to go backstage, not through the regular queu". He said that a few people complain about that. But the elevator to get me back up is backstage!

Thank you for the encouraging words everyone!

I think the issue that I am struggling with is that I don't feel that I need it. I feel that I should just tough it out and do what I can. It's a stupid torn ligament in my knee that is throwing my tibia and femur out of alignment, thus aggravating things even more and traveling up into my back. My doctor has suggested it (and ordered me a cane) and my PT also thinks its a good idea, but I am having a hard time accepting it. My husband and son have all but demanded it and I understand where they are coming from.

My mom had never used a scooter before ever. She has osteoarthritis in her knees and needs replacement. We made her get a scooter because she walks slowly - she said it was the best decision ever made and made her trip much more enjoyable. At most she said her butt got sore, every so often if we were just standing (shows/lines), she'd stand for awhile so one of us could sit and rest our feet.

Yes, as another one with both osteoarthritis and torn knee things (torn meniscus), it's amazing what a positive difference ECVs can make. I tried to "tough it out" for years. I cried the first time I finally got on an ECV for the first time. However, what a great help to my trip enjoyment.

I think the issue that I am struggling with is that I don't feel that I need it. I feel that I should just tough it out and do what I can. It's a stupid torn ligament in my knee that is throwing my tibia and femur out of alignment, thus aggravating things even more and traveling up into my back. My doctor has suggested it (and ordered me a cane) and my PT also thinks its a good idea, but I am having a hard time accepting it. My husband and son have all but demanded it and I understand where they are coming from.

So... If you need glasses to read or see better in everyday life... Do you "tough it out"? Or do you put on your glasses?

If you need to do math, do you take off your shoes, and count on your fingers & toes, or do you grab a calculator and get it done?

You are just using a tool - nothing more, nothing less - to get a job done when you use glasses, or a calculator, or an ECV at WDW.

*So* many people who you will see using mobility devices at WDW will NEVER use one outside of Disney World in their daily life. It's just a tool that allows them to have the most pain-free vacation that they can.

The first time I used an ECV, I ugly-cried, right there in Epcot. But when I got up the next morning, and I hurt *less* than I had the day before getting the ECV... I knew that I had to use it. No one ever wants to use any kind of assistive device, but they exist for a reason - and that reason includes folks like me and you.

You may never have to use one again after this trip - and I truly hope and pray that you go on and heal so completely that you make many, many trips in the future without needing to use one again.

But for this trip, view it like using a cane, or a brace, or any other medical solution that will help your body heal more correctly and completely. That's all it is. A medical solution - a tool - that is protecting your healing process.

Have a great trip; I promise, you are going to have more fun than you think you are! (and remember you can always hop off the ECV for pictures - you don't have to take a single picture in the ECV if you don't want to!)

I have one piece of advice from a recent trip. In a few cases, especially in MK, you have to leave your ECV outside and transfer into a wheelchair. The CM's always ask if you're comfortable transferring, so for a few steps, I know many people would be ok. It is important to note that in the case of Pirates and Space Mountain, it is MUCH more than a few steps from where you have to leave your ECV to where you get on the ride. If there is no transfer wheelchair available, you should probably insist that the cast member call one for you. For Space Mountain specifically, you will probably be walking a solid 10-15 minutes total getting on to and off of the ride, even with a fastpass. Wait for a transfer chair!

I have one piece of advice from a recent trip. In a few cases, especially in MK, you have to leave your ECV outside and transfer into a wheelchair. The CM's always ask if you're comfortable transferring, so for a few steps, I know many people would be ok. It is important to note that in the case of Pirates and Space Mountain, it is MUCH more than a few steps from where you have to leave your ECV to where you get on the ride. If there is no transfer wheelchair available, you should probably insist that the cast member call one for you. For Space Mountain specifically, you will probably be walking a solid 10-15 minutes total getting on to and off of the ride, even with a fastpass. Wait for a transfer chair!

There should be "loaner" wheelchairs at any attraction where using an ECV is not allowed in the queue. Pirates, and Buzz at MK are both examples of this - if there is no loaner chair readily apparent, ask a CM at the attraction if they are all in use, or how to have one brought out so that you can transfer.

mamabunny thank you for those words. You are so right that I need to look at it as a tool and not a sign of weakness. I have been extra tough on myself about this whole situation. I need to look at it like a good pair of walking shoes......something that is needed to get me around in relative comfort so that I can enjoy the time spent with my family.

Also thanks for the info on the loaner wheelchairs. I don't think I will need to use those as I can walk some, just not quickly. I do have a foldable cane (which has a Cinderella motif and glows at night) that will be stashed in my bag that I can use for some support.

We leave soon so my anxiety is starting to ease up. I have prepared as best as I could...now it is time to sit back an enjoy!

Thanks to everyone for the positive words and advice. I have used the disboards for many years and I am so glad this resource is around!

mamabunny thank you for those words. You are so right that I need to look at it as a tool and not a sign of weakness. I have been extra tough on myself about this whole situation. I need to look at it like a good pair of walking shoes......something that is needed to get me around in relative comfort so that I can enjoy the time spent with my family.

Also thanks for the info on the loaner wheelchairs. I don't think I will need to use those as I can walk some, just not quickly. I do have a foldable cane (which has a Cinderella motif and glows at night) that will be stashed in my bag that I can use for some support.

We leave soon so my anxiety is starting to ease up. I have prepared as best as I could...now it is time to sit back an enjoy!

Thanks to everyone for the positive words and advice. I have used the disboards for many years and I am so glad this resource is around!
cant remember if I have said to you but I would take your cane with you as you load on any ride as I have found the cane helps me balance as I go to get out. the 2 places I find it the most help is the moving walkways and stepping up out of the boat type rides. and yes you are coming around to the fact an ECV is a tool just like glasses which you wouldn't think twice about using. have a great trip and let the rest of your group rest some so they can keep up with you

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter