Question for those that do the Galloway method

I think going religiously by Galloway's method, including MMs, changing speed based on temperature, etc, might just be over the top complicated for me.

I did use a 3:1 yesterday for a short 3miler & I have to say I was faster. My runs ended up in the 9-10mm range, whereas w/ straight running I've been in the 11-12mm range. I finished in about 31 (will have to go back & check the Garmin for a precise #).

I haven't been able to get in a long run in 2 weeks, but plan to do one this weekend using run/walk. Can't wait to see how it goes. Mainly I have to learn to relax & not obsess on the intervals.

I am so glad I asked this question. I'm going to head over to the library and see if there are any books I can pick up.

I am so glad I asked this question. I'm going to head over to the library and see if there are any books I can pick up.

I have read bingham's , higdon's, and galloway's. All but the training programs are very similar. Bingham is the most entertaining. I just downloaded born to run...it's not a how to book like thoe others though. I loved reading them all. Also bought chi running. Love the theory, but most of the book is about technique and not exactly a quick read.

I ended up buying a copy of "Galloway's book on running", I accidently bought the 1984 1st edition. It was only $2.50 shipped though. So I can't complain too much.

Now that my half is over, I'm playing around with my walk/run ratio. On Monday I did a slow run .25mi/walk .25 miles for 3 miles. I'm coming from a walking background so most of my miles have included only 1 min. runs. In fact, the longest I've ever run continually is 2/3 mi.

Today I did run 1:15/Walk 1:45 just slightly more agressive than the Run 1:15/Walk 2:15 from my half marathon. After my warmup, the first mile was fast (for me) of 12:30. That's probably pretty close to my MM pace my 1/2 time suggests I could do a 12:00 MM. In fact, my last run interval was at a 9:12 pace. After that I slowed back down and finished 3 mi. total.

Another question, does some of Galloway's intervals seem aweful short on the slower end? Like :30 r/:30 w for a 14:00 min. mi. pace. Over the course of a half marathon that could be over 300 tempo changes. About a 3 minute combined walk/run seem good to me for the half I just completed.

I thought I saw a Galloway thread, and then couldn't find it! DUH!
I just posted this on an older thread -
I'm doing Galloway to train for the full in January.
He already had us do a 17 miler. There is really only three real big runs before the full in January left. He has a 20 miler this Sunday, 23 miles on 11/21 and then 26 on 12/12. Then there are three weeks of tapering!
DH who has run several fulls and even a 40 miler thinks we need to change this up a bit.
I've been following this program pretty faithfully up until this point and I've had minor knee problems so I'm thinking it is working for me. I've only been doing two 3 mile runs during the week and then a longer run on the weekend. I run the short runs and do a R3/W1 on the long runs. I dunno! I don't want to peak too early! And then it seems nobody really runs past 20 during their training? DH thinks we need to do a least one longer run at least two weeks before the full. UGH! Don't know what to do...
Galloway vets, thoughts?

Shan

By no means a Galloway expert, but I would continue with the long run schedule from the plan. Galloway probably wants three weeks for you to rest up because of the low mileage the rest of the time and that also probably why he pushes the training miles further. For your mid week runs, I would consider bumping those up to 4 miles. Maybe 3.5 the week after the 20 miler then 4 the next week if you don't want to bump it up all at once. Now, if something comes up and you can't do one of your long long runs postpone it a week and do the last long run 2 weeks out.

Question do you run the midweek runs the full time or do you do your fast version of your intervals? I thought I was supposed to run, but reading others do it differently.

Thanks!

I haven't gone Goofy yet, but I've completed all of my half marathons and the 2010 marathon using the Galloway method. My tentative plan for Goofy is to do a 1:2 or 1:3 run/walk ratio for the half and then a 3:1 run/walk ratio for the full.

MickeyMom, I totally agree with your internal debate. Whenever I tell non-running friends about it, I preface the description of the method by saying it was developed by an Olympic runner who found he could finish faster and stronger by run/walking. I guess I'm afraid they'll think I'm "lazy" for not running the whole thing? (Not that they're doing any running themselves... :rolleyes1)

I'm just jumping in, but can I say how frustrating it is when people have this response?! I'm training for my first 1/2 at Disney using 4/1 intervals. Whenever I tell people, they're like "oh, you're not really running because you walk some. Okay, my cumulative moving pace is in the 10:30 range for short runs, right around 11 minutes for long runs which I think is not too shabby, considering I've been running less than a year! Makes me so mad, especially people that I know couldn't even make it one mile!

Question do you run the midweek runs the full time or do you do your fast version of your intervals? I thought I was supposed to run, but reading others do it differently.

Thanks!

I don't know what the official answer is, but for us it just depends. Sometimes we do walk breaks during the week and sometimes we just run. Depends on heat--this summer the walk breaks made it more tolerable, anxiety--if I am really stressed out I will run the whole time just because I need that release, and really just what else is going on.

Shan - Our Galloway group this year actually had our last long run (26 miles ) 5 weeks before the marathon. It had more to do with the fact that we're trying to accommodate several races than what Jeff's actual plan would call for, but in discussions with the program director he claimed that there was nothing wrong with it. He said a 3 week taper was definitely fine, and there was no reason to run more than 10-mile long runs for the last 3 weeks, especially if you're injury-prone. So, bottom line, I'd do what the plan calls for and not try to do the longer run. If your DH wants to do one, he could probably do it without any problem, but since you're prone to knee problems, play it safe! Or, as Jeremy offered, you could add another shorter run in between a couple of the longer ones and make the 26 mile run 4 weeks out...

Saysay - You can do your midweek runs either way. Some people choose to run them straight through, but many "official" Galloway runners do them as a run/walk with the same intervals they do on their long runs. For the first 3 years I ran, I did mine all with intervals, then this past winter I tried doing some as all runs. Then I ended up injured and am now back to run/walk again. Don't know if there's a correlation there or not!

Jackie

Well got my 1st edition of "Galloway's Book on Running". There's not 1 mention of run/walk intervals in the entire book. It still looks like it's an OK book, just not what I wanted. Like I said above, at least I only spend $2.50 on it.

Well got my 1st edition of "Galloway's Book on Running". There's not 1 mention of run/walk intervals in the entire book. It still looks like it's an OK book, just not what I wanted. Like I said above, at least I only spend $2.50 on it.

Hmmmm...his "Marathon" book does.

That's strange! I have the second edition, and it includes the walk breaks.

The First edition is Copyright 1984. He must have starting getting into the run/walk after that. I looked again online at the second edition and walk breaks are listed as a new feature. I order the second edition and I'm giving the first edition to my brother-in-law that is looking at full time running.

So today I did 5k using Galloway. I finished in 34min, which just isn't fast enough for me because I want to qualify for the National 1/2. I used a 4:1, but found myself going too fast & getting winded. The Galloway computation method just makes my brain swim. Can anyone suggest a ratio that might get me under 31min for a 5k? Or better yet, under an hour for a 10k? I'm thinking a 5:1 might work better or 5:1.30 if I pace accordingly. I'm averaging 9:45 -10:30 during the run intervals.

Thanks for your help!:worship:

So today I did 5k using Galloway. I finished in 34min, which just isn't fast enough for me because I want to qualify for the National 1/2. I used a 4:1, but found myself going too fast & getting winded. The Galloway computation method just makes my brain swim. Can anyone suggest a ratio that might get me under 31min for a 5k? Or better yet, under an hour for a 10k? I'm thinking a 5:1 might work better or 5:1.30 if I pace accordingly. I'm averaging 9:45 -10:30 during the run intervals.

Thanks for your help!:worship:

Shannon...maybe for a shorter run, like a 5k, you may want to just run it? I did one this weekend - dressed as Mickey Mouse. Not as many costumes as there should have been, but still a good time!

Bounceliketiger- Doing the math, some possibilities for qualifying for the national half.

31:00 5K
1) run the entire 5K - a 31min 5K is averaging a 10:00 mile right about your average
2) Assuming a you can maintain your 9:45 pace- A run 5/walk 20sec. should work assuming your walk is under 16:00
3) Work and speed and run a little faster: a 5/1 ratio would require a 9:22R/15:00W*

1:05:00 10K
1) Run entire 10K at a 10:30 pace.
2) a 5/1 ratio would require 9:53R/15:00W*

*I assumed a 15:00 walk in these because walk pace wasn't given.

Thanks! Jeremy, that breakdown is really helpful!

I'm probably going to just run the whole thing if I can. W/r is new to me anyway. I might schedule a 1min walk or two for the 10 k if the knee isn't feeling great.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter