Raiding American supermarkets!

Hi,

We always hit either Walgreens or CMC my family used to laugh at my purchases until they all joined us for our Disney Wedding in 2004, all of them went crazy in there too, we always buy, toothpaste, large bottles of pepto bismol, pain relief, various toiletries we always also visit Walmark and buy jeans, t-shirts, yankee candles (fantastic) and kool aid (the powder form that makes litres of punch!)

CA_Stitch said:
It's called Mellow Yellow... really that's the name.

It is also not found everywhere in the US.

Mellow Yellow is one of my faves too. It was available from the soda fountain at ASMo's food court in April last year and I found it some of the drinks can dispensers at some supermarkets and the odd Walmart/Kmart but apart from that it was quite hard to find! When I can't get MY then grape Fanta does the job!

Ooh just my kinda thread! :teeth:

* Strawberry twizzlers
* Peanut butter candy of some description like Butterfinger or Reeses (though I can find that easily here now)
* Tylenol (my bf was scared of me taking it last year cos he thought it was loads stronger than ibuprofen but comparing them I found that it isn't)
* Kraft mac n cheese
* Some kind of novelty breakfast cereal
* Big red chewing gum
* My Little Ponies, I actually mailed a box of these home (to save luggage allowance) as Toys R Us sell exclusive birthstone ones you can't get over here. I think the woman at the till thought I was mad buying 12 ponies :rotfl:
* Used to love peppermint patties and tootsie rolls but earlier this year I bought these in bulk on eBay (not such a great idea in hindsight *lol*) and have since gotten utterly sick of the sight of them =/

Also love to raid the Walmart baked goods aisle, mmm cheese bread! We got a few days worth of light meals from a Walmart shop. We like to eat out on holiday but sometimes the heat staves off my hunger.

I usually buy my undies in Walmart - nice soft cotton bikini knickers by Hanes or Fruit of the Loom, in my (large) size. Also bras in pretty colours/lace for $7 or $8. Beats M&S!

Also buy large tins of salted cashew nuts for a couple of dollars - delish with a beer around the pool.

Also, large pump-action bottles of Jergens body lotion, again for a few dollars, and its good stuff.

Linda popcorn::

What a great thread !

Our priority is always to stock up on liquids when we arrive - Root Beer first (Why cant I get this in the UK ?? - Am sitting at work with an ice cold can of A&W Root Beer that I had to order from the Internt at about £16 per case) and of course Miller Light - again rarely seen in UK supermarkets.

Reese's Butter Cups seem to be a real hit with us Brits, and we are also VERY partial to them. My wife becomes a little insecure if there isnt a packet of cups in the fridge! Peanutty-scrummy !

Generally we don't bring back many "soft goods" as it is surprising how much you can find here if you look. We go mainly for clothes etc.

kizzy212 said:
It would have to be the salt and vinegar (Lays brand) crisps. I think they are lovely.

I thought Lays crisps were Walkers, with just the name being different.

They sell them in Scandinavia, exactly the same type of packets - with only the name being changed.

Rascal1003 said:
What a great thread !

Well I do try you know. :)

Glad it's appreciated, although this was basically for my own benefit, than anybody else's at first. :rotfl:

It's now a month till I'm off to Florida and will definitely raid the supermarkets for anything that looks great to eat or drink that you cannot purchase in the UK.

Rascal1003 said:
What a great thread !

Our priority is always to stock up on liquids when we arrive - Root Beer first (Why cant I get this in the UK ?? - Am sitting at work with an ice cold can of A&W Root Beer that I had to order from the Internt at about £16 per case)

Have you ever tried American cream soda as opposed to the yucky stuff I've had here? My favorite is IBC, but A&W's is good too. Also Birch Beer is nice too.

after our trip , i had to buy 2 extra cases and a large holdall for stuff DW bought,
Sally Hansen nail products, half the price she can get it here [and DW is a Beauty Therapist]
also raided Sallys , as DW brought her card with her , everything was half the price she paid here, especially Creative nail , she has to get it from Dublin ,but it was even cheaper than half price[at least thats what she told ME lol]
loads of scrapbooking and crafting stuff , she even got a case on wheels from Joannes for $29 and used it for hand luggage on the plane with loads of stuff in it.
i boughts couple pairs of Wranglers $13 & $16, and a swiss tent that sleeps 6 people for $100 with 3 compartments.
DD bought loads of My Little Pony stuff other furry animals and various other toys

If you like Cream Soda, Root Beer (Sasbarilla) or Birch Beer, try STEWART's. It is found in smaller stores (convenient, gas station type places). They look like bottles of beer (dark brown glass bottles with a much needed bottle open cap). It's the best, by far.

Enjoy.

Laurajean1014 said:
If you like Cream Soda, Root Beer (Sasbarilla) or Birch Beer, try STEWART's. It is found in smaller stores (convenient, gas station type places). They look like bottles of beer (dark brown glass bottles with a much needed bottle open cap). It's the best, by far.

Enjoy.

They also make an excellent orange 'n cream soda.

Is it only me that thinks root beer tastes like cough medicine??!!! :rotfl2:

This year we stocked up on:
Cheez-it's (a bit gross in my opinion but others liked them!)
Jalapeno flavour Pringles (yummy- they seem to have lots more flavours than us)
White chocolate mini peanut butter cups
Peanut butter Oreos

arieliwish said:
Is it only me that thinks root beer tastes like cough medicine??!!! :rotfl2:

I think it tastes more like Ralgex liniment. Not that I drink liniment of course ...(unless I'm desperate :teeth: )

i'm so sad, i so look forward to the trip to the supermarket on the first day, i even love discovering new nappies and wipes for my little ones! super sad-o!!
we're staying near the publix on south i-drive. Anybody been there? what's good in there? especially for breakfast...

Does anybody know if you can get (preferably natural) tanning pills in the states? I am so fair skinned and i'm sure a few years ago somebody was telling me about some over the counter melanin stimulants.
thanks all.

JohnnySharp2 said:
Australian Gold suncream - just find it cheaper.

we also bring this home for family and friends, DD who has had skin cancer and is blonde and blue eye swears by it and never ever burns when using it - Oh and the smell is out of this world.......

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter