Raiding American supermarkets!

We always bring back loads of Mrs Dash from Walmart.

I get really excited in both Walmart and Walgreens.... I've never tried Kmart ! Has anyone else?

another vote for Mountain Dew

Corn Dogs
Mint Choc Chip Ice Cream
oreos (thou u can buy them from sainburys now)

Disney D said:
I get really excited in both Walmart and Walgreens.... I've never tried Kmart ! Has anyone else?

For the most part you will find Kmart just like Walmart. I have never been to the one in Florida, but we had them growing up in Maine.

Target is someplace you might like to try. Not a supermarket... They have more clothes and things than Walmart.

richard_andmel said:
For the most part you will find Kmart just like Walmart. I have never been to the one in Florida, but we had them growing up in Maine.

Target is someplace you might like to try. Not a supermarket... They have more clothes and things than Walmart.

Oh, thanks, just looked up Target, they have a store on Sand lake Rd and W. colonial Dr. I might give them a try too. I just love shopping.

Lizzybear said:
* Tylenol (my bf was scared of me taking it last year cos he thought it was loads stronger than ibuprofen but comparing them I found that it isn't)

Standard Tylenol is not ibuprofen - it is paracetamol

patdavies said:

This is right. Tylenol is the brand name for Acetaminophen. By the store brand and save yourself some money.

Raisin Bran. It was the cereal I discovered when I worked in NY 10 years ago and every time I go I stock up. Will be stocking up when I arrive in NY in 6 weeks time.

patdavies said:

I never said it was the same thing, I just said it wasn't a lot stronger as my bf originally thought :confused3

Call me silly but I never realized that you couldn't get many of the products that we find EVERYWHERE here in the U.S.

In case you didn't know - Coca-Cola and Pepsi are huge competitors in the U.S. Since Coca-Cola is the "official" drink offered by WDW you will find Mello Yello in the parks. Pepsi offers Mountain Dew. They are similar, but IMO Mountain Dew tastes much better. Many of the sodas in the U.S. are caffeinated. I know that the Fanta drinks and Sprite are not caffeinated though.

Also, I see many of you like Reese's Peanut Butter Cups. Reese's also makes a peanut butter spread to put on sliced bread. It's not as sweet, but still Yummy.

Hershey's and Nestle are chocolate competitors here. You will find candy bar selections from each company in each check-out lane. They both taste really good. I like Cadbury too, but it is not as popular here.

Wal-mart and Walgreens are both good options. You will find lots of items that are inexpensive. Walgreens is primarily a drug store that also sells other items. Wal-mart is primarily a wholesale retailer that sells some drug items.

Wal-mart, K-mart, and Target are similar to one another. K-mart is okay IMO. I rarely shop there. Target is a little more "upscale" versus Wal-mart's "wholesale" environment. Target is also a little more expensive, but I guess you guys would think that it is less expensive than what you pay. I shop at Target and Wal-mart equally.

Next time you are here look at Wal-mart's health and beauty aides shopping aisle. You can find items even cheaper than at Walgreens. For example, a generic bottle (Wal-mart brand) of acetaminophen or ibuprofen would cost approximately $3.00 for 200 tablets.

BTW, Cinnamon toothpaste is yum. Makes your mouth feel fresh. Check out Crest if you can't buy it in Europe. They have a new cinnamon toothpaste that is terrific. It is called Cinnamon Rush. They also have many other new flavors/varieties like Vanilla Mint, Lemon Ice, and Herbal Mint.

Olay products - dollar for pound prices, if not even cheaper.
Large bottles of generic ibuprofen.
Ziplock bags of various sizes (the ones with the slider on, can't cope with the sort you have to kind of clip together!).
Dramamine tablets - almost impossible to buy in the UK these days, but can buy off the shelf in Wal-Mart, and cheap.
Gummy Lifesavers.
Coors Original.
Sierra Mist - like Sprite but smoother.

I don't bring US chocolate home because somehow it doesn't taste as good over here.

I wish Krispy Kreme would hurry up and expand into stand-alone stores like in the US, so I'd know when the hot light would be on. Having previously made special trips to London and Watford for Krispy Kreme, I was so excited when they moved into Selfridges, Birmingham as it's a relatively easy detour on my way home from work. But there seems to be no way of predicting when the donuts will be fresh - I'll only buy when I can see them coming off the line because I've been stung with stale ones a couple of times.

To date, the largest thing we've brought home was on our last trip. A little red wagon, the ones you often see children playing with on American TV shows (eg, Big Love - they've got one in the yard), and which my DH had wanted since he saw them advertised in US comics as a child. Metal body, wooden frame on top, big rubber wheels - approx 3' x 2' x 2'. Wondered how on earth we were going to pack it, then found a very large cheap holdall that it just fit in!

I love the vast icecream selection!!!Im sooooooo disappointed at how little choice we have here and so I always buy 3 or 4 tubs of different flavours for my stay,

Lynn :thumbsup2

Wow!

This is a really great thread!

For the folks that like American pancakes, you need to try Carey's Sugar Free Maple Syrup. It can be a little hard to find at the supermarkets, and is sometimes with special diet food instead of with the syrup.

It is absolutely as good as regular maple syrup. 1/4 cup has 25 calories.

It would be really great to try Southern Corn (Maze) Bread. If your purchase something like White Lily Corn Meal, a good recipe will be on the side of the package. Cornbread is best prepared in an iron skillet. Corn meal is different outside of the Southern U.S. in case you want to try it in other parts of the country. Cornbread is fantastic eaten right out of the oven with butter.

An authentic Southern U.S. meal would be fried pork chops, fried okra, squash, corn on the cob, and corn bread. Wash that all down with Southern iced tea! Lemon ice box pie, coconut pie, or pecan pie would be ideal Southern desserts.

(Pecan will have many pronuncians around America.)
I pronounce it pu-cahn. Others say pee-can. I've heard pu-can, and pee-cun.

For a chain, Cracker Barrel restaurants have the most authentic Southern U.S. food.

Sudafed is great for headaches, but you have to sign for it, as it is being abused by druggies.

Many Americans think Snickers are as good if not better than Reeses.

1 other thing, there are these small candy packages at convenience stores called Laffy Taffy. Get the Banana. Its so good, its addictive. For the Little Debbie lovers - try the Oatmeal Cream Pies.

I hope that I have listed must have U.S. items.

Ooooooooooooohhh.

Bags Of Chillis From Walmart (really Hot Ones For My Cooking Creations When Back Home)
Wife Always Stocks Up On Maybelene Cosmetics
Strawberry Twizzlers
Underwear And Socks (strange But True)
Pc Games
Bigred Gum

And Lots More............

Giggler

Fruit Loops! I came back with about 4 boxes in my suitcase the last time I went. Unfortunately, they were all gone way too quickly. And for some reason my sister prefers US Oreos to the ones you can buy here! :rotfl:

Kilted_Yank said:
Oddly enough, when we are in Florida, I pick up things in the British aisle.

We usually get a couple of bottles of HP and I always bring home a few cans of Boddington's... and I'd get Irn Bru if I could find any.

Hello Kilted Yank, I am also from No. Va. Have you made it to one of the Wegman's stores yet? They have a British section as well... my DD and I have just discovered orange squash, which we love. There is one in Ashburn and one in Fairfax, check one out if you haven't yet.

Mickey'sApprentice said:
Laffy Taffy. Get the Banana. Its so good, its addictive.

I knew I'd forgotten something - I love Laffy Taffy! Especially the watermelon flavour. I agree it's very addictive. And no other 'taffy' tastes like it.

tigger137 said:
I knew I'd forgotten something - I love Laffy Taffy! Especially the watermelon flavour. I agree it's very addictive. And no other 'taffy' tastes like it.

HELP! What is Laffy Taffy?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter