RANT: I don't care if you want to sit next to your kids on the airplane

I have bad knees and whenever possible, I get an aisle seat so I can stand up as often as possible. If I don't, I am in a lot of pain and have a lot of stiffness at the end of any flight of more than 1 hour. So, it would have a been a "so sad, too bad" response from me to that mother.

And, there's nothing wrong with that. I do not get why people with children believe their "wants" trump the "wants" of every other human on the plane.

And, for the record, I have kids. Have flown a BUNCH of times with them (many, many times) and have never, ever had an issue with getting assigned seats of exactly my choosing. I don't fly SW and this is one big reason.

How is someone always separated from you? Do you fly an airline without assigned seats? Or do you fly Southwest and not pay for EBCI? I can count on one hand the number of times my family hasn't had the same seats that we picked when booking.

Most planes have a maximum of three seats together, so a mom with three kids will always be separated from at least one of them.

As a mom with two kids under 4, I agree with you. However, hypothetically, what happens if the person DID pay for assigned seats, their flight got cancelled and the airline was able to squeeze them on this flight? Then they are at the mercy of fellow passengers to be able to sit next to their kid. I never condone people demanding things of others, but things aren't always as black and white as they outwardly appear.

I recently paid an extra $50/flight so my kids could be next to one of us because the airline would not guarantee that my 3yr old or infant would be seated next to a parent. It's a little insane to me that kids can't fly unaccompanied until they are what, 6 or 7 but they were willing to seat my 3yr old and infant by themselves. But that's a rant for another day.
As a mother who had similar issues when my kids were under 4--if they really are too young to safely sit alone; I took it up with the gate agents before we ever boarded (once, see my above post only time I felt we NEEDED to sit together). I was polite but firm and clear about the need (injured child, 2 years old, big bandage on his head)----if you have a legitimate issue (2 very young kids who would be unable to manage, etc) asking at the gates gives time to work something out (pay extra for an upgrade, etc). The gate agents can look for single travelers in equal or worse seats and call them up and ask if they can trade, etc. I have seen that done a few times----and it seems much better to work out ahead of time, before people are settled and when someone with a seatmap can determine how to make trades that do not put others out (and who to ask otherwise if the first person or several people decline a trade) than to wait until boarding and then assume the person sitting where you want to be is going to be fine with moving.

How is someone always separated from you? Do you fly an airline without assigned seats? Or do you fly Southwest and not pay for EBCI? I can count on one hand the number of times my family hasn't had the same seats that we picked when booking.

Because there are 4 or 5 of us flying and generally 3 seats across- only three can be together which would leave someone on a different side or different row. Additionally, I rarely find an entire row (6 seats) unoccupied for when we try to book straight across. And typically if a seat is booked in the row it is the aisle.

But I would think one child would be next to, in front of, or behind her. I guess some might consider that separated, but I don't.

I do, especially when I am trying to pass medicine or snacks or talk with the other child/children. Hence why I rely on my teen dd to help out with her sister while I sit next to the youngest.

I fly a lot and there are times when I'm not sitting right next to my son (more so on SW). As early as 5 I've handed him his iPad and headphones, settled him in, pointed to my seat, and gone to my seat for an uneventful flight. I figure I send him off to school every day where he has to sit in a seat without resorting to mayhem so no need to sit right next to him for a couple of hours on a flight. Plus he's always felt so grown up.

Once airlines started charging additional money to get certain seats I think they've locked us into buying that specific seat. If I shell out $20-$100 extra for a seat than I'm not going to trade for less than equal (otherwise you have literally thrown your money away). Maybe some folks aren't familiar with having to pay extra for certain seats??

Usually, I will be as accommodating as possible (but I won't willingly sit in a middle seat on a flight longer than two hours). But, one time I got to my row, where I had reserved a window seat. There was (in airline jargon) a "Person of Size" sitting in the aisle and another Person of Size sitting in my window seat. I stopped and looked at my boarding pass and without even meeting my eye, the lady Person of Size sitting on the aisle snapped at me, "GO FIND ANOTHER SEAT! MY HUSBAND IS NOT GOING TO MOVE TO THE MIDDLE!" Not politely, mind you, like "oh, would you please mind finding another seat as my husband just isn't going to fit in the middle seat....pretty please???" but snapping at me.

Usually, getting snapped at like that puts my back up, but believe me, that was one time I was NOT going to insist on taking my seat. Can you imagine being squeezed between the wall and that huge guy for a 5-hour flight?

Lucky for me, the flight wasn't sold out and I found another seat. I have great sympathy for heavy people who try to fit into standardized seats (I'm not fat, but I'm not a Barbie Doll, either) but there comes a point when it's.just.not.my.problem, kyim?

I do realize that--it stinks and that policy drives me crazy.
Still does not mean someone else should have to pay the price. Very few kids are really incapable of sitting 20 feet or so away from a parent. And if your child is truly not going to be okay sitting that far from you, then you need to book direct, or call the airline, etc or at least be prepared to ask very nicely and buy a few drinks or pay some, etc to get someone to switch.

Me? If you ask nicely and I can move into basically the same seat, I'll probably move--but maybe not. Maybe I am next to my own family (I got yelled at once for not being willing to move so someone could sit with her 12 year old----literally yelled, when she shut up and I told her the kid next to me was mine and 10 that was kind of interesting. ) or maybe I have already gotten everything I want out of my carry on, and stowed in the seatback pocket, etc and it would be a big hassle---and a lot depends on how you ask and how in need of having you there your child seems, etc.

This is the attitude I am talking about, you feel you need to be compensated because someone has asked if you can move seats so they can sit next to their child, my compensation is them not spilling their drink on you

I fly a lot, mainly Southwest, domestically. In my younger days I had no problem switching seats for a family. Now I have multiple joint problems and take an aisle seat so I can move around some. I politely decline people's requests without explanation and suffer no guilt because of it. Simple solution for those wanting to sit together is to get early boarding (or assigned seats) and get to the gate before your stated boarding time.

My boys will be seven and nine when we fly next fall. SW is our cheapest option, and I am fully prepared to pay the extra charge for all of us to board early to make sure that each child has a parent next to them. I would never expect another passenger to give up a seat because I was too cheap to pay the extra money to preboard.

I fly a lot, mainly Southwest, domestically. In my younger days I had no problem switching seats for a family. Now I have multiple joint problems and take an aisle seat so I can move around some. I politely decline people's requests without explanation and suffer no guilt because of it. Simple solution for those wanting to sit together is to get early boarding (or assigned seats) and get to the gate before your stated boarding time.

Honest question. Does SE have a limit on the number of people who can pre board? Surely not everyone is able to pull to do it otherwise it would defeat the purpose.

I have bad knees and whenever possible, I get an aisle seat so I can stand up as often as possible. If I don't, I am in a lot of pain and have a lot of stiffness at the end of any flight of more than 1 hour. So, it would have a been a "so sad, too bad" response from me to that mother.
I think that's perfectly fine. I'm sure you wouldn't just rudely say "so sad, too bad" to her but explain that you need the aisle seat for your knees.

I was thinking the same thing, maybe he has a problem with his left or right leg and needs that side of the plane to stretch it out?[/QUOTE]

A lot of people have a good reason for wanting to keep the seat they're chosen in advance. When I was doing a lot of traveling and had a very painful shoulder condition, I preferred to have a window seat with my left shoulder protected by the wall. I could pad it with a piece of clothing and didn't have to worry about someone coming down the aisle bumping me or my seatmate leaning on it. For that reason, I wasn't willing to give up my chosen seat.

I think this issue actually really steams from the airlines desire to nickel and dime its passengers.
If I book an airfare for 5 people it is a reasonable expectation to be sitting "together", if I book 5 seperate single airfares than it is not.

This is the attitude I am talking about, you feel you need to be compensated because someone has asked if you can move seats so they can sit next to their child, my compensation is them not spilling their drink on you
Actually, no I do not expect to be compensated---IF I am travelling alone and IF you are offering me a comparable seat (aisle, as good of legroom, etc) and IF you seem to have a good reason (sorry, your 10 year old who looks totally capable and not nervous "needing" your help does not strike me as such) and IF you ask nicely, I will most likely change seats with you with no compensation at all----I might even offer if I notice you are splitting up and you do not ask me to I have several times).

But, no, I do not think anyone should be made to give up a seat to be accommodating, or pushed into it r made to feel guilty for refusing--and if you really want/need that accommodation, then YES you should be prepared to offer someone some sort f compensation for doing you the favour of accommodating your last minute request that might well interrupt their plans, etc.

Again, while my kids are teens now, I traveled multiple times per year with my kids from infants on up--often alone with the two of them--I have been there and I know it can be stressful---I just never assumed it was anyone else'S job to accommodate my choice to fly with little kids.

(and, honestly, I like kids I don't mind sitting next to them -- so for YOU it is a compensation to not have a kid by you, but for me that is not an issue; and the last time someone spilled a drink on me in a plane was in November and it was an adult lol)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter