• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Resort Change by Disney

I’m surprised about how many posters
are disappointed about a potential switch to Contemporary. A lot seem to even prefer Riviera over CR? Am I missing something?? 2 beds, walk to MK, monorail....is Riviera that great?

I would choose Riviera over CR any day. I prefer the Skyliner and the theming. I don’t want to walk to MK, deal with monorail crowds, or deal with the traffic/crowds that their three TS restaurants bring. Plus, monorail is currently unavailable for EPCOT so you’re on buses for three parks.

I would choose Riviera over CR any day. I prefer the Skyliner and the theming. I don’t want to walk to MK, deal with monorail crowds, or deal with the traffic/crowds that their three TS restaurants bring. Plus, monorail is currently unavailable for EPCOT so you’re on buses for three parks.
I didn’t know the Epcot monorail was unavailable. That’s definitely a bummer. Any news on when it may reopen or nothing yet?

I just wanted to share my quick little story. My family of 3 had booked a trip for April originally, and we chose Port Orleans French Quarter mainly because it was the most affordable option still open that wasn’t an all-stars resort. We were planning this trip to coincide with my sisters family and it was supposed to be a once in a blue moon circumstance that we could both be at the resorts together. Well covid hit, my unit at the hospital got switched to covid for about two months during the surge in March/April/May. We ended up moving our reservation to early October to Port Orleans Riverside, and got free dining! We were psyched but then a few months ago they stopped all dining plans as you know and we were told we’d instead save 30% off our original booking price. Well that was all well and good but Disney hadn’t announced an opening date for Port Orleans where we had a river view room booked, so I finally confirmed our trip through an email that Disney sent out and called reservations. They upgraded us to a one bedroom villa preferred at Saratoga Springs! I was blown away and so grateful! Now I have to hope my workplace doesn’t change our travel policy in the next 4 weeks and we should be driving down from CT really soon!

Update: called this morning and after 1.5 hrs talking to agents I am now booked in 2 rooms at CBR in the Jamaica section with a request to be near the skyliner (with price protection). First agent was extremely nice and tried to book me in a 2 BR at Riviera but the system wouldn't let her. So she reached out to someone above her in Guest Services. While I was on hold, the GS agent switched my res to Saratoga Springs without my approval. When I said I didn't want that they said my only other option was OKW, but I said I didn't want that either. So at this point, the original agent handed me off to GS who informed me she couldn't switch back to my original AOA so she would have to leave me with the SS res and a note that explained the whole situation. I panicked and started almost crying. I said, "you've left me in a worse position than when I called." I told her I would just cancel the reservation and stay offsite. So she apologized and said she would work with me to try to accommodate my needs. She said Copper Creek had come up but that turned out to only be 1 BR, so she was eventually able to put me in 2 rooms at CBR. Both agents were extremely friendly and helpful and I stayed very nice and appreciate with them as well. I am still not 100% sure I will keep the res, but this change makes me much more likely to stay onsite.
Despite all this, I decided to pull the plug on this Disney trip and just cancelled my reservation. I have switched to Universal instead for this trip. UO is offering a more normal experience (we don't do parades or night time shows there and their water park is open). Plus they are offering discounts on rooms and tix. I am getting a 15 month AP (they are offering 3 free months) so I can do a deluxe hotel with the AP discount. For almost half the price, I'm getting a more full experience. That savings allows me to plan a WDW trip for Dec or early next year and hope for a discount and/or more full experience.

Just curious how long before a reservation on average Disney is initiating a change, and in general is it better to wait on them or proactively call? We're booked at ASMo in November & I'd like to get my plans finalized, but I'd hate to leave anything on the table if there's a chance for an upgrade. :rolleyes1

Just curious how long before a reservation on average Disney is initiating a change, and in general is it better to wait on them or proactively call? We're booked at ASMo in November & I'd like to get my plans finalized, but I'd hate to leave anything on the table if there's a chance for an upgrade. :rolleyes1
I called because I am impatient. We were booked at ASMo and were initially offered Pop. I asked for AOA and was given The Little Mermaid room, they inquired about the suite and it was denied (I figured it would). I am happy because AOA is still an upgrade over ASMo but now I'm concerned that AOA may not open in November. Looking at availability in November and December, Its WIDE open across WDW. I wouldn't be surprised if they push back AOA reopening date too.

I called because I am impatient. We were booked at ASMo and were initially offered Pop. I asked for AOA and was given The Little Mermaid room, they inquired about the suite and it was denied (I figured it would). I am happy because AOA is still an upgrade over ASMo but now I'm concerned that AOA may not open in November. Looking at availability in November and December, Its WIDE open across WDW. I wouldn't be surprised if they push back AOA reopening date too.

I wouldn't be surprised also. As you said seems wide open (I keep checking my November dates as I'm pondering a change if I can find something with a military rate that I can work with). It makes sense not to open a resort that might not have the bookings to make it feasible when they can move to an open resort.

This is totally anecdotal but we had ASMo booked for November and Guest Services gave me a choice of Pop or AOA. This amazing CM had just finished straightening out a previous mess with an August reservation that needed to be fixed from a different non-open resort (and also taking off a $200 charge I shouldn't have had been charged when we were moved the first time since it should have been price protected) so I wanted to make it easiest for her and suggested she choose. Without hesitation, she offered me Pop.

I'd call now...I've had very good luck with 2 different reservations being closed multiple times and have been lucky enough to get a nice upgrade at no charge each time. Also, if you don't like what they first offer; tell them you'll have to think about it and then call back a different day and you'll get a different offer.

I would start calling now. They told me they would not initiate the change other than to send you an email notifying you to call. They said the reservation would be cancelled at the time final payment was due if you don't call to change.

I would start calling now. They told me they would not initiate the change other than to send you an email notifying you to call. They said the reservation would be cancelled at the time final payment was due if you don't call to change.
I received phone calls from Disney regarding changing my resort. I actually received three phone messages (voicemail) because I had four rooms booked. I presume I would have received a fourth call if I hadn't cancelled all four reservations when I called them in response to the messages I got. I got those messages on August 4; my check-in date was to have been August 29. I had previously read on this board about others getting calls about three or four weeks before scheduled check-in too. I booked directly from Disney. I'm surprised "they" told you they would only send an email. Perhaps things have changed, but perhaps whoever told you that doesn't do the calling and doesn't know how things work.

I received phone calls from Disney regarding changing my resort. I actually received three phone messages (voicemail) because I had four rooms booked. I presume I would have received a fourth call if I hadn't cancelled all four reservations when I called them in response to the messages I got. I got those messages on August 4; my check-in date was to have been August 29. I had previously read on this board about others getting calls about three or four weeks before scheduled check-in too. I booked directly from Disney. I'm surprised "they" told you they would only send an email. Perhaps things have changed, but perhaps whoever told you that doesn't do the calling and doesn't know how things work.
Good to know they are actively calling people. I thought it was odd that they would just cancel the reservation.

After almost 3 hours on hold, I have changed my Poly resort stay for December. I wanted to go ahead and change it now bc I was worried there may be less availability the week between Christmas and New Years as the weeks go by.

I was first offered Poly Villa side but I didn't want that due to all the work that will be going on. She asked what Monorail resort I would like. I just stayed at CR so didn't want that. GF was available but only outside buildings and I don't really like those.

I asked for YC and was moved to a water view there. She actually offered any view. The price was a little less and I was given a gift card due to having this reservation moved a second time.

Just wanted to share!

Of course, less than 48 hours after I cancel, they offer the discount i was waiting for. I almost don't want to know, but has anybody been successful in applying the new discount to their resort change?

Of course, less than 48 hours after I cancel, they offer the discount i was waiting for. I almost don't want to know, but has anybody been successful in applying the new discount to their resort change?
From experience, I know that the discount can't be applied to a resort change if you have price protection; The discount will be taken from the rack rate of the room.

Hey all, just want to make you aware of an issue I'm having. I called on Monday to reduce the days of my trip in November. I was moved from ASMo to AOA. No problem, price was protected and received a new confirmation. Well, yesterday I went into MDE and it's gone. I tried calling but was on hold for 90 minutes and finally had to hang up for a work call. Called this morning and the reservation was auto-cancelled. They don't know why and they are trying to retrieve it, but just keep an eye on any of your price-protected reservations. I think with all the changes, there are some real glitches. Thankfully, I like to check from time to time and hopefully it will be resolved.

Hey all, just want to make you aware of an issue I'm having. I called on Monday to reduce the days of my trip in November. I was moved from ASMo to AOA. No problem, price was protected and received a new confirmation. Well, yesterday I went into MDE and it's gone. I tried calling but was on hold for 90 minutes and finally had to hang up for a work call. Called this morning and the reservation was auto-cancelled. They don't know why and they are trying to retrieve it, but just keep an eye on any of your price-protected reservations. I think with all the changes, there are some real glitches. Thankfully, I like to check from time to time and hopefully it will be resolved.
Interesting for me and frustrating for you. I had a YC CL reservation vanish in July. No e mail, no notice to US TA, it just disappeared from MDE and was permanently gone. WDW would not reinstate it but then (luckily) my flight was cancelled. If I remember rightly, one other person had a similar experience. Good luck. I hope that you have a better outcome.

Interesting for me and frustrating for you. I had a YC CL reservation vanish in July. No e mail, no notice to US TA, it just disappeared from MDE and was permanently gone. WDW would not reinstate it but then (luckily) my flight was cancelled. If I remember rightly, one other person had a similar experience. Good luck. I hope that you have a better outcome.
Yes, they found it and said they weren't able to reinstate it but would make a new one with the price protection prices (still better than the new discounted rates). So they made a new one and now I have both the old one and the new one in my account. SMH

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter