• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Resort Change by Disney

We just returned from our trip! We were originally supposed to be in a Club Level Tower Suite at Gran Destino and they moved us to a 1BR at Riviera. Riviera was never really at the top of our list of resorts, but we were okay with it - it was an opportunity to try something new and we saved $200.

But WOW. We absolutely loved the resort and fell in love with our room (that bathroom😍). The hotel staff was the friendliest I've encountered in years, the entire place was spotless, the iced coffee drinks in the cafe were to die for, the views were incredible, and again - that room. One of the complaints I hear about Riviera is that it's isolated, but after our stay I have to disagree. We walked to Caribbean Beach to explore. We took the Skyliner to Pop and explored. Then to the Boardwalk. It was very easy, convenient and fun to be right on the Skyliner. Our new favorite form of transportation! (I realize this convenience is largely dependent upon a fully functional Skyliner -- but we had zero issues during our whole trip). Anyway. Just thought I'd share for anyone else who was moved to Riviera and wasn't necessarily psyched about it. We absolutely loved it and will 100% go back!

Side note: I don't think I would pay for a preferred view here -- and I appreciate a good view (savanna, castle)! But the price difference is significant ($200/night during our stay) for a what is basically a pool/caribbean beach view. It's pretty, but not worth it in my opinion. We had a standard view which was a direct view of Epcot with incredible sunsets each night and I honestly preferred it!

IMG_4258.jpgIMG_4265.jpgIMG_4270.jpgIMG_4286.jpgIMG_4287.jpgIMG_4318.jpg

That's what I did.
She did tell me that UT had not sent over the November list yet of people who had confirmed they were coming, but since I had called before and had a medical need, she would do it.
Can't hurt to try.
Got notified that I’ll be at Pop in November! I was fairly certain that would be the case, but nice to have confirmation.

Don’t know if UT finally sent a list of confirmed travelers or if it was because I called wholesale myself to make sure they know I am planning to come, but it’s sooner than the September move the CM quoted me.

Interestingly, I received no actual note of the change from either Disney or UT. Instead, I got the “your check in is complete” message, though I did the ASMo check in weeks ago, so I went to MDE and saw Pop.

Got notified that I’ll be at Pop in November! I was fairly certain that would be the case, but nice to have confirmation.

Don’t know if UT finally sent a list of confirmed travelers or if it was because I called wholesale myself to make sure they know I am planning to come, but it’s sooner than the September move the CM quoted me.

Interestingly, I received no actual note of the change from either Disney or UT. Instead, I got the “your check in is complete” message, though I did the ASMo check in weeks ago, so I went to MDE and saw Pop.
That's great you got that confirmation! :)

I have 8 nights booked at AoA in a Cars Suite for October, and called last night to switch. It's me and 3 teenage boys so I explained I needed at least the 3 beds and 2 baths. Was first told the only possibility for that configuration was a 2 BR villa but she couldn't upgrade me to that. I asked about the possibility of 2 regular rooms and was told no because I don't have 2 adults on the res. So I was polite but blunt and said if you want my $6,000, you are going to need to find me a 2 bathroom solution or else I have no choice but to go off site. She put me on hold and came back and said she could do 2 rooms after all because she can make the 17 year old an "adult" and book the second room that way.

But, when she tried that at CBR, they had no availability for 2 rooms during our dates, or anywhere else except CR Garden Wing or Pop. I didn't want either of those (even she admitted Pop is a downgrade and I didn't like the Garden Wing when we stayed there). So then she said she could offer me a 2BR villa, but the only availability they had was SSR. I declined that as well and asked what my options were. She said I can keep the AoA for now and check back because they get lots of cancellations. So now I'm holding out hope for a switch to 2 rooms at CBR since it has the skyliner.
Update: called this morning and after 1.5 hrs talking to agents I am now booked in 2 rooms at CBR in the Jamaica section with a request to be near the skyliner (with price protection). First agent was extremely nice and tried to book me in a 2 BR at Riviera but the system wouldn't let her. So she reached out to someone above her in Guest Services. While I was on hold, the GS agent switched my res to Saratoga Springs without my approval. When I said I didn't want that they said my only other option was OKW, but I said I didn't want that either. So at this point, the original agent handed me off to GS who informed me she couldn't switch back to my original AOA so she would have to leave me with the SS res and a note that explained the whole situation. I panicked and started almost crying. I said, "you've left me in a worse position than when I called." I told her I would just cancel the reservation and stay offsite. So she apologized and said she would work with me to try to accommodate my needs. She said Copper Creek had come up but that turned out to only be 1 BR, so she was eventually able to put me in 2 rooms at CBR. Both agents were extremely friendly and helpful and I stayed very nice and appreciate with them as well. I am still not 100% sure I will keep the res, but this change makes me much more likely to stay onsite.

We were upgraded from Sports to a Finding Nemo suite! Super excited about that. Thought about canceling but decided to wait and see what they gave us for our Thanksgiving trip and now I’m glad we did! We’ve never stayed at AoA, but have walked around and looked at it a couple years ago, would have loved a Cars one for the kiddos but I’m not gonna complain!

We were upgraded from Sports to a Finding Nemo suite! Super excited about that. Thought about canceling but decided to wait and see what they gave us for our Thanksgiving trip and now I’m glad we did! We’ve never stayed at AoA, but have walked around and looked at it a couple years ago, would have loved a Cars one for the kiddos but I’m not gonna complain!
If you check back periodically, they may switch you to Cars if they have availability.

For those of you still trying to switch from a closed resort, don't hesitate to nicely ask for what you want, even if it sounds like an unrealistic ask. And be willing to nicely push back on them. Especially if you are on the fence about cancelling anyway. Disney isn't offering any discounts for us out of state visitors, so in my opinion, the least they can do is sprinkle a little (or lot of) pixie dust on our trip if they change our resort plans and still want our money. I was very nice about it, but I told them if they couldn't meet my wants (which were the specific reasons I booked the Cars suite), I would take my money and go offsite and get a whole cottage in Margaritaville (which I have been eyeing as a much cheaper alternative). I really want to go to Disney, but I was not willing to drop that money for a lesser theme park experience, AND no skyliner, AND getting crammed into 1 moderate room with 1 bathroom and 3 teenage boys.

If you check back periodically, they may switch you to Cars if they have availability.

For those of you still trying to switch from a closed resort, don't hesitate to nicely ask for what you want, even if it sounds like an unrealistic ask. And be willing to nicely push back on them. Especially if you are on the fence about cancelling anyway. Disney isn't offering any discounts for us out of state visitors, so in my opinion, the least they can do is sprinkle a little (or lot of) pixie dust on our trip if they change our resort plans and still want our money. I was very nice about it, but I told them if they couldn't meet my wants (which were the specific reasons I booked the Cars suite), I would take my money and go offsite and get a whole cottage in Margaritaville (which I have been eyeing as a much cheaper alternative). I really want to go to Disney, but I was not willing to drop that money for a lesser theme park experience, AND no skyliner, AND getting crammed into 1 moderate room with 1 bathroom and 3 teenage boys.

I agree. I was pretty specific with Wholesale about why I had booked what I did and that I expected a like for like switch. Granted, some of the reasons were medical, but I didn't have an accessible room booked. I was booked at AKL and told them line blank that I wanted a 1 building resort, or at least a guarantee of main building, no outdoor hallways, must have elevators and no internal bus loops.
I mean, I was polite, but firm about it.
I got what I wanted, and the CM pixie dusted us quite a bit on top of that.

This is true. The person on the phone when I called (for my 2021 trip) switched me no problem. But I was at BC and asked to be switched to YC.

Where has WDW been moving families that have Little Mermaid room reservations too?
It really just depends; but they will most likely give you Pop, with a chance of CBR unless you have a unique situation or you're really trying for something else.

We just returned from our trip! We were originally supposed to be in a Club Level Tower Suite at Gran Destino and they moved us to a 1BR at Riviera. Riviera was never really at the top of our list of resorts, but we were okay with it - it was an opportunity to try something new and we saved $200.

But WOW. We absolutely loved the resort and fell in love with our room (that bathroom😍). The hotel staff was the friendliest I've encountered in years, the entire place was spotless, the iced coffee drinks in the cafe were to die for, the views were incredible, and again - that room. One of the complaints I hear about Riviera is that it's isolated, but after our stay I have to disagree. We walked to Caribbean Beach to explore. We took the Skyliner to Pop and explored. Then to the Boardwalk. It was very easy, convenient and fun to be right on the Skyliner. Our new favorite form of transportation! (I realize this convenience is largely dependent upon a fully functional Skyliner -- but we had zero issues during our whole trip). Anyway. Just thought I'd share for anyone else who was moved to Riviera and wasn't necessarily psyched about it. We absolutely loved it and will 100% go back!

Side note: I don't think I would pay for a preferred view here -- and I appreciate a good view (savanna, castle)! But the price difference is significant ($200/night during our stay) for a what is basically a pool/caribbean beach view. It's pretty, but not worth it in my opinion. We had a standard view which was a direct view of Epcot with incredible sunsets each night and I honestly preferred it!

View attachment 517901View attachment 517902View attachment 517903View attachment 517904View attachment 517905View attachment 517906

LOVE your photos! We're staying here in May 2021..... part of me wants to switch to POFQ if it's open, but I'm not sure I wanna miss out on something new!

LOVE your photos! We're staying here in May 2021..... part of me wants to switch to POFQ if it's open, but I'm not sure I wanna miss out on something new!

We really loved our stay! But I can completely relate to your comment -- I am a creature of habit. Yacht Club and Gran Destino Tower are our typical go-to's and I love having that familiarity. As disappointed as I was at first, in retrospect I'm glad that the NBA "forced" us to try something new and stay at Riviera, otherwise it probably wouldn't have made it onto my radar. And now it's one of my favorites!

ok, so originally we had ASmu and was switched to AoA, but with them not opening for our stay I called was on hold for 3 hrs altogether with them trying to figure out what to do.
Dates Sept 5-8, kept same dates
ASmu to AoA, now Key West 2 Bedroom Villa!!
I'm so excited We've never stayed at a Deluxe before!!
We had same scenario only later in September. Curious how long it took Disney to adjust your package balance? They did our price lock form and said don’t worry, it shows you owe an extra $382 but we will pay that. It’s been over a month now. Called again and they said don’t worry, they are just trying to get through all the changes.

We had same scenario only later in September. Curious how long it took Disney to adjust your package balance? They did our price lock form and said don’t worry, it shows you owe an extra $382 but we will pay that. It’s been over a month now. Called again and they said don’t worry, they are just trying to get through all the changes.
I'm sure they will, it'll be fine! Mine has been adjusted, so I bet yours will be soon! Have fun!!!

I called and Disney earlier this month because my reservation was at ASMusic and they moved my Sept reservation to Pop with price protection so no increase in price. I am moving my trip to the end of Oct and I called pretty much knowing that I would have a price increase. The first CM I spoke to told me it would be an additional $240 based on current hotel prices. I mulled it over and talked to DH and decided to call back and make the change final. The CM I talked to my second call moved my reservation (same tickets and length) for an increase of $133. Not sure why it was less expensive, but I will take it!! I guess the moral of the story is to call a couple times to get all of your options if you have to modify your reservation.

I called and Disney earlier this month because my reservation was at ASMusic and they moved my Sept reservation to Pop with price protection so no increase in price. I am moving my trip to the end of Oct and I called pretty much knowing that I would have a price increase. The first CM I spoke to told me it would be an additional $240 based on current hotel prices. I mulled it over and talked to DH and decided to call back and make the change final. The CM I talked to my second call moved my reservation (same tickets and length) for an increase of $133. Not sure why it was less expensive, but I will take it!! I guess the moral of the story is to call a couple times to get all of your options if you have to modify your reservation.

It may have been that the first CM was looking at a preferred room and the second had a standard.

The problem with always calling a couple of times is that, if the first CM offered you a really great deal, you may never get that offer again no matter how many times you call again. Even if you managed to get the same CM to answer the phone again, they might not make the same mistake that had them offer you the great deal in the first place.

The problem with always calling a couple of times is that, if the first CM offered you a really great deal, you may never get that offer again no matter how many times you call again. Even if you managed to get the same CM to answer the phone again, they might not make the same mistake that had them offer you the great deal in the first place.
I was actually worried about that and I specifically asked that if I called back, would I get the same quote. It is a gamble, for sure. I'm glad it worked in my favor this time. I wonder why there is a discrepancy? It should be the same price no matter who looks at it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter