Resorts near Yellowstone help....

Maliki2

DIS Veteran
Hello,

Trying to navigate the Interval site, I was wondering if anyone has used them to stay near Yellowstone park? If so which resort(s) were closest....Thanks!

-J

WorldMark West Yellowstone is among the closest, but I've only seen one week deposited there and it was the deepest off-season---the period after the oversnow vehicles stop running but before the roads are plowed and open to wheeled traffic.

I'm curious if you've been to Yellowstone before. If you have, ignore this post :flower:, but in case you haven't I just want to point out how enormous the park is (it's larger than some states). We've been there several times and I always recommend staying multiple places. Otherwise you will spend all day in the car. We normally try to stay inside the park at the NPS hotels as that is definitely the most convenient. But if you want to use your points, the Jackson area is good for exploring the Grand Tetons and the southern part of Yellowstone. West Yellowstone is good for the western and northern parts, but we really love Gardiner, MT for spending time in the northern sections. Plus, it's just a cute, little town. Jackson and West Yellowstone have both become too touristy for our taste, unfortunately.

But to answer your specific question, there appears to be some choices in Jackson and Big Sky, MT that would work.

I'm curious if you've been to Yellowstone before. If you have, ignore this post :flower:, but in case you haven't I just want to point out how enormous the park is (it's larger than some states). We've been there several times and I always recommend staying multiple places. Otherwise you will spend all day in the car. We normally try to stay inside the park at the NPS hotels as that is definitely the most convenient. But if you want to use your points, the Jackson area is good for exploring the Grand Tetons and the southern part of Yellowstone. West Yellowstone is good for the western and northern parts, but we really love Gardiner, MT for spending time in the northern sections. Plus, it's just a cute, little town. Jackson and West Yellowstone have both become too touristy for our taste, unfortunately.

But to answer your specific question, there appears to be some choices in Jackson and Big Sky, MT that would work.

No we haven't. I'm from Vermont. We are thinking about going in 2023 and this is just the first part of my planning. Just looking around and seeing what's out there. But thank you so much for the advice! If I have further questions, do you mind if I reach out? Thanks!

No we haven't. I'm from Vermont. We are thinking about going in 2023 and this is just the first part of my planning. Just looking around and seeing what's out there. But thank you so much for the advice! If I have further questions, do you mind if I reach out? Thanks!

I'm happy to help. It's been a few years since we've been, but we used to go every few years or so. It's a very special place. We've been in winter, early summer and fall. Fall is our favorite, but it's wonderful any time of year.

We just did a Yellowstone trip this summer I’m happy to share my itinerary with anyone interested just send me a PM. We did have bed bugs in our cabin in west Yellowstone which stunk because of the record crowds in the summer there was no where else for us to go.

We also did a trip to Yellowstone this past summer. I do highly recommend staying in different areas to explore as it reduces travel time - and there’s a lot to see! The only downside would be if the weather is not in your favor.

Our itinerary:
DateLocationPlan
8/10/2021BOS to SEAFlight JetBlue BOS->SEA. Land at 10pm. Overnight at Hyatt Lake Washington (award night)
8/11/2021SEA to BZNMichelle works in morning. Meet Wayne for lunch or dinner. Have room all day. Flight to Bozeman at 9:20pm, arrive 10:30pm. Overnight Residence Inn Bozeman (award night)
8/12/2021BozemanVisit Museum of the Rockies and American Computers & Robotics Museum. Pick up Car Rental at 11:30pm. Overnight Residence Inn Bozeman (award night)
8/13/2021Big SkyDrive to Big Sky. Overnight Résidence Inn Big Sky (award night)
8/14/2021Big Sky to West YellowstoneBig Sky Outdoor Escape Room tour in morning. 1 hour drive from Big Sky. Yellowstone Wolf & Grizzly Discovery Center. Overnight Under Canvas in Stargazer Tent with Kids Tent.
8/15/2021West Yellowstone / Mammoth Hot SpringsExplore from Madison to Mammoth Hot Springs area. Overnight Mammoth Hot Springs in Hot Tub Cabin (need air mattresses for boys).
8/16/2021Mammoth Hot Springs / Lamar ValleyMammoth to Lamar Valley. Overnight Silver Gate Lodging in the Annex Cabin.
8/17/2021Lamar ValleyLamar Valley. Overnight Silver Gate Lodging in the Annex Cabin.
8/18/2021Yellowstone Grand CanyonYellowstone's Grand Canyon. Overnight Canyon Lodge in Western Cabin with 2 Queens (need air mattress for 1 boy)
8/19/2021Canyon to Lake region.Mud Volcano and Lake Yellowstone. Overnight Lake Yellowstone in Cabin with 2 Queens (need air mattress) for 1 boy)
8/20/2021Old Faithful BasinLake Yellowstone to Old Faithful Basin. Overnight Old Faithful Inn in Jr Suite.
8/21/2021Old Faithful BasinOld Faithful Basin to Madison. Overnight Old Faithful Inn in Jr Suite.
8/22/2021Grand TetonDrive to Grand Teton National Park. Overnight Jackson Lake Lodge in Moran Suite.
8/23/2021Grand TetonGrand Teton. Overnight Jackson Lake Lodge in Moran Suite.
8/24/2021Grand TetonGrand Teton. Overnight Jackson Lake Lodge in Moran Suite.
8/25/2021Grand Teton to Crater of the MoonDrive to Crater of the Moon. Stop at Idaho Falls along way. Stay at BoLo Bungalow.
8/26/2021Crater of the MoonCrater of the Moon. Stay at BoLo Bungalow.
8/27/2021Crater to Twin FallsCrater of the Moon. Stay at BoLo Bungalow.
8/28/2021Crater to Twin FallsDrive from BoLo to Twin Falls (~1.5 hrs) then to Salt Lake City Airport (3.5 hour drive). Flight home is at 11:59pm.

Thank you everyone for the help and information. This is just the planning stage....

Since people are throwing out ideas, I would highly recommend renting your points, and using the money towards an Oars guided kayaking trip in the Grand Tetons. We had such an amazing time on our trip a few years ago. Also agree that you’ll want to stay several places around Yellowstone and not be stuck in one place.

Since people are throwing out ideas, I would highly recommend renting your points, and using the money towards an Oars guided kayaking trip in the Grand Tetons. We had such an amazing time on our trip a few years ago. Also agree that you’ll want to stay several places around Yellowstone and not be stuck in one place.

Thank you! Pre planning stage. I will have to look into kayaking trip! Thanks for the tip!

I haven't been to Yellowstone in many, many years but as others have already said, Yellowstone is a massive park. I too am in the camp of trying to actually stay at the hotels within the park itself. Last time I went there I stayed at Mammoth, Lake Yellowstone & the Canyon Lodge hotels after spending several days in a cabin in Grand Teton. Spent several nights at each to explore different areas of the park easily, I think I did 2 nights each at Lake & Mammoth and either 3 or 4 at Canyon, I couldn't book anything in the Old Faithful area so I just drove to that area. I once attended a conference at Big Sky but didn't do any of the trips they offered to the park because I felt it was located too far away to be able to see much within the park without spending half the day traveling to & from the nearest actual park entrance with limited actual time within the park.

Another vote for staying at one of the places inside the park. Be ready to book as soon as they open up your dates for best selection of locations and room types. It'll be so worth it to not have to drive into the parks in the mornings. Watch some youtubes to help your planning--we got tons of good information watching other people's trips.

If you don't see availability in the park, keep stalking the website(s) (I think 2 different concessionaires run the various properties)! I have had wonderful luck pieces together stays at all kinds of national parks by doing so. In 2020 I did this with Glacier and 3 locations in Yellowstone, and last August/Sept I pieced together a stay at the lodges in Zion (3 nights), Bryce Canyon (2 nights), and North Rim Grand Canyon (3 nights) beginning 4 weeks beforehand.

You can book and cancel without penalty within 2?3? (pls check) days. At one point in 2020 I had stacked multiple single nights all over Yellowstone until I was able to get the exact accommodations we wanted :laughing:

Subbing to this....its on the bucket list...and will probably annoy the group with questions when it's time. Love you guys!

WorldMark West Yellowstone is among the closest, but I've only seen one week deposited there and it was the deepest off-season---the period after the oversnow vehicles stop running but before the roads are plowed and open to wheeled traffic.
(Brian, I'm using your thread only as yours is the first to mention the only timeshare we've stayed at in that area. Yep, very limited availability -- especially in the months one actually wants to visit the Park!)

OP:
We stayed in the Worldmark West Yellowstone some years back, mid-June. We had a 2BR unit shared with other adult couple (4 people total). On the plus side:
  • Very close to the West Yellowstone entrance.
  • Kitchen had "everything we needed."
  • Laundry (washer/dryer) in the unit.
  • Easy walk into town for dining, strolling (aka shopping).
  • Indoor swimming pool complex.
  • BBQ area
On the negative side:
  • The unit did not offer air conditioning. Instead, housekeeping brought up a box fan to run near a window or patio door.
  • The unit felt a bit cramped compared to most Worldmark locations.
Below is copy/paste of unit descriptions and a few other tips from a retired Worldmark Resort Information page:
Unit Descriptions:
  • Studio: Queen murphy bed in living area. No ovens. 2-burner stovetop. Maximum occupancy 2.
  • Studio - Special Needs: Queen murphy bed in living area. No ovens. Grab bars, roll under sink, roll-in shower. Maximum occupancy 2.

• One Bedroom: King in master, queen murphy bed in living area. Maximum occupancy 4.
  • One Bedroom - Special Needs: King in master, queen murphy bed in living area. Grab bars, roll under sink, roll-in shower. Maximum occupancy 4.

• Two Bedroom Queen: King in master, queen in second bedroom, queen murphy bed in living area. Maximum occupancy 6.
  • Two Bedroom Queen - Special Needs: King in master, queen in second bedroom, queen murphy bed in living area. Grab bars, roll under sink, roll-in shower. Maximum occupancy 6.
  • Two Bedroom Twin: King in master, twins in second bedroom, queen murphy bed in living area. Maximum occupancy 6.
  • Two Bedroom Twin - Special Needs: King in master, twins in second bedroom, queen murphy bed in living area. Grab bars, roll under sink, roll-in shower. Maximum occupancy 6.

• Three Bedroom: King in master, queen in second, twins in third bedroom, queen murphy bed in living area. Maximum occupancy 8.
  • Three Bedroom - Special Needs: King in master, queen in second, twins in third bedroom, queen murphy bed in living area. Grab bars, roll under sink, roll-in shower. Maximum occupancy 8.

• Three Bedroom Presidential: King in master, king in second, twins in third bedroom. Unit has three bathrooms. Jetted tub in master bath. No spa on deck. Maximum occupancy 6.
  • Three Bedroom Presidential – Special Needs: King in master, king in second, twins in third bedroom. Unit has three bathrooms. Grab bars, roll under sink, roll-in shower. Jetted tub in master bath. No spa on deck. Maximum occupancy 6.

Resort Parking
WorldMark West Yellowstone has a large parking lot to accommodate RVs and snowmobile/boat trailers.

Pool & Hot Tub Information
Pool and hot tub hours are 8 a.m.-10 p.m. Children in diapers must wear waterproof diapers designed for swimming. There are no lifeguards on duty. Please refer to posted pool signage for more specific information.

You would probably be better off just booking an in park hotel, but be prepared to do that this year as soon as booking for 2023 opens. Hotels don't open until late May and usually close around early Sept. Unless you want to go during the winter season which starts right before Christmas and ends around end of Jan early Feb. You need to book your snowcoach from Mammoth to Old Faithful both ways as soon as you make that reservation. We've done winter twice and we would love to do it again. Some of the park roads might still be impassible because of snow in late May.

I have a Yellowstone trip planned for the end of July and have been following this thread. I will be staying at Kelly Inn in west Yellowstone for four days. On the fifth day of our trip we are staying in Bozeman and have an early flight the next morning. It will be my two girls (4 & 5) and my husband and I.
a) We are doing the park early in the am. What suggestions do you all have for fun activities in the late afternoon/evening outside of the park? Has any rented UTV’s? Or gone on a scenic whitewater raft trip?

b) Any good restaurant recommendations in West Yellowstone?

c) Any suggestions for what to do on our last day in Big Sky or Bozeman?
I was going to start a thread about this but I feel like all the experts are here!
Thanks!

Last edited:
I have a Yellowstone trip planned for the end of July and have been following this thread. I will be staying at Kelly Inn in west Yellowstone for four days. On the fifth day of our trip we are staying in Bozeman and have an early flight the next morning. It will be my two girls (4 & 5) and my husband and I.
a) We are doing the park early in the am. What suggestions do you all have for fun activities in the late afternoon/evening outside of the park? Has any rented UTV’s? Or gone on a scenic whitewater raft trip?

b) Any good restaurant recommendations in West Yellowstone?

c) Any suggestions for what to do on our last day in Big Sky or Bozeman?
I was going to start a thread about this but I feel like all the experts are here!
Thanks!
A) We visited the Grizzly & Wilf Discovery Center in West Yellowstone the afternoon we arrived and really enjoyed it.

B) Three Bears for dinner - had good steak and great atmosphere.
Old Town Cafe was recommended by locals for breakfast - it was fantastic and their special recipe syrup was amazing. I’ve also heard Running Bear Pancake Lodge is great.

C) There’s lots of great activities in the Big Sky region. We opted to do a morning escape room that goes up the mountain by ski lift, does an escape room in a cabin up there, and then a hike down the mountain.
If in Bozeman, I highly recommend the Museum of the Rockies (especially if you have dinosaur fans like my husband - largest collection of dinosaur skeletons in the world) and we also really enjoyed the Computers & Robotics Museum (a really small museum but a fantastic collection of Apollo computers).

Also, if you really want to explore Lamar Valley, I highly recommend Silver Gate Lodging literally outside the valley. It made early morning and late evening trips into the valley for wildlife viewing super easy!

our itinerary basically had us driving around the valley, spending 1-2 nights in an area to minimize driving. We did 1 night West Yellowstone, 1 night Mammoth, 2 nights Silver Gate, 1 night Canyon, 1 night Lake Yellowstone, 2 nights Old Faithful. I think the only thing I’d have wanted to do differently is squeeze in another night at the Canyon area, but it didn’t work out for us because we had to work around the only nights available at Old Faithful. As Wilderness Lodge lovers, we absolutely had to stay at the “original Wilderness Lodge,” Old Faithful Inn.

We did Yellowstone/Grand Tetons in summer 2020. We ended up staying 4 different places because of geography. Our favorite? Under Canvas in West Yellowstone. Look it up--it is "glamping". My teen/tween kids LOVED it. Other highlight was whitewater rafting on the Snake River in Jackson Hole.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter