Riverboat/Tom Sawyer Island?

However the filled in river country which was a natural resource to build a hotel on top of it so were there is a will there is a way.
I didn’t say it couldn’t be done, but filling in River Country over on Bay Lake is a far cry from filling in several hundred thousand cubic yards of soil smack-dab in the middle of the busiest theme park the world. Particularly when there is ample acreage available immediately adjacent. It’s not remotely impossible, just imminently impractical.

Oh, and there are a few rumors that soils issues did in fact crop up when they started foundation work on Reflections, and that the pandemic wasn’t the only reason the project was “cancelled”.

I mean, even now, the vacant River Country/Reflections land really isn’t impacting anything at all besides a nature trail between WL and FWC.

Or the entirety of Magic Kingdom, which is why the Seven Seas Lagoon was created.
Again, you can have as large of a borrow and fill process as you like, when you're 15 miles from the nearest remotely populated area (central Florida in 1969-1971), with no one and nothing to negatively impact. Absolutely zero correlation to proposing a similar (albeit dramatically smaller) project within the confines of the existing park. they HAD to do that original fill to get a large enough pad for the initial construction of the Magic Kingdom as a whole. Today, there's no practical reason to spend a mountain of cash to create a few acres of additional dry land, when you still have ample space remaining from that initial reclamation.

Last edited:
Again, you can have as large of a borrow and fill process as you like, when you're 15 miles from the nearest remotely populated area (central Florida in 1969-1971). Absolutely zero correlation to proposing a similar (albeit dramatically smaller) project within the confines of the existing park. they HAD to do that original fill to get a large enough pad for the initial construction of the Magic Kingdom as a whole. Today, there's no practical reason to spend a mountain of cash to create a few acres of additional dry land, when you still have ample space remaining from that initial reclamation.
Oh I agree but the statement said they couldn’t. They could but logistically it isn’t the best choice when they can go behind the berm behind big thunder, but if they do it now they have free access behind it and big thunder minimizing guest impact.

Now DLR it be easy to do and could see it there first happened. But I’d rather autotopia and Nemo get razed to the ground.

Oh I agree but the statement said they couldn’t. They could but logistically it isn’t the best choice when they can go behind the berm behind big thunder, but if they do it now they have free access behind it and big thunder minimizing guest impact.

Now DLR it be easy to do and could see it there first happened. But I’d rather autotopia and Nemo get razed to the ground.
Who said they couldn't? Wasn't me. I've consistently said it would be highly impractical, expensive, and unnecessary. I even clarified in post #21 that I didn't say they couldn't do it, in case there was any confusion.

The sub lagoon at DLR actually is a water-tight, structural concrete pool. It's akin to a WW2 submarine bunker, with a concrete floor, walls, and lid. It carries the combined loads of the Autopia roadbed, the Peoplemover track columns, and the Monorail beam columns as well. It had to carry significant load (and be resistant to seismic events) from day 1.

Last edited:

Who said they couldn't? Wasn't me. I've consistently said it would be highly impractical, expensive, and unnecessary. I even clarified in post #21 that I didn't say they couldn't do it, in case there was any confusion.

The sub lagoon at DLR actually is a water-tight, structural concrete pool. It's akin to a WW2 submarine bunker, with a concrete floor, walls, and lid. It carries the combined loads of the Autopia roadbed, the Peoplemover track columns, and the Monorail beam columns as well. It had to carry significant load (and be resistant to seismic events) from day 1.

I agree, a much simpler solution would be to build a a walkway like they did in Frontierland in front of Big Thunder.

I wouldn’t read anything TheStreet writes and take it into fact. That article is bait. They even wrote that movie theatres should be a thing of the past, because of The Flash and Elemental's box office numbers.

I agree, a much simpler solution would be to build a a walkway like they did in Frontierland in front of Big Thunder.
Exactly. The same BTMRR that literally extends out into the ROA (as Does Tiana/Splash) and would need to be closed for most if not the entire period of time it would take to do whatever fanciful river filling project could be imagined.

Last edited:

I wouldn’t read anything TheStreet writes and take it into fact. That article is bait. They even wrote that movie theatres should be a thing of the past, because of The Flash and Elemental's box office numbers.
Yeah, The Street—while not the most click-baity site in existence— summarizes articles from other sites and wraps just enough other text around them to avoid copyright infringement (I think), then adds baity headlines. Much better to go to the original sources.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter