Riviera murphy bed fell off of the wall

My point is these are different than the other murphy beds. They look larger than the ones at the moderate resorts. I was kind of stunned when I heard the story which is why I went straight to Disney for the pictures. I'm wondering if they decided to do larger ones in the Riviera because they know adults are sleeping in them.

Does anyone know what the dimensions of the single bed at the Riviera is?
When we toured the model the guide said it was a twin size bed unlike the other pull down beds (ie Poly) which are smaller than twins. It also looked like the size of a twin mattress which is what prompted me to ask.

IIRC - in other resorts (BCV I have seen), isn't there a little table that converts into a support for the bed part when the bed is pulled down? Can't remember if VGF is the same way; those are the only ones I remember.

Bed above is this size:

The mattress measures 30" wide and 73" long, as compared to a twin which is normally 39" wide and 75" long.

Also saw an older post here that says moderates murphy beds are 30″ wide by 64″ long so it seems the DVC ones are longer and pretty close to a twin bed.

And from photo above, at Poly, it looks like maybe the mom was sitting on the edge when it pulled out of the wall...just my guess. Or rolled to the edge like to pick something up off floor. But it should not have pulled away from wall. A couple people jumping on edge might make it pull away. Or not being secure properly.
You can tell by the photo this was poor installation plain and simple.
Yeah, I'd think if it was forced down there would be ripped out drywall holes.

Here is BCV murphy folded down. It is the TV stand table type and the table disappears when the bed is folded down.

Attachments

• 1576600519502.png
    1576600519502.png
    544 KB · Views: 43
Wow! Glad nobody seriously injured and I hope they inviting your family to a nice complimentary dinner!

When we toured the model the guide said it was a twin size bed unlike the other pull down beds (ie Poly) which are smaller than twins. It also looked like the size of a twin mattress which is what prompted me to ask.

That's what I took from the photos of the bed. I'm thinking maybe Disney wised up and figured adults would be using them so they made sure to install larger fold down beds.

Yeah it’s the first thing I noticed. The contractor is at fault because they want supposed to be anchored even. They are required to be drilled right into the studs. Glad everyone is alright though. I’m sure Disney will probably make the rounds slowly to check all units.
I hope DVC management makes the rounds very quickly to check all of these units as the person/people who installed this un-anchored bed will not have worked on just one room and the management's liability would be sky-high if this happened again and checks had not been made.

That's crazy and scary. Every single murphy bed absolutely needs to be checked there now.

When I toured the model in April the 1BR living room twin murphy bed was causing lots of scratching on the floor so I assumed they all had supports like some of the other DVC murphy beds do. There were other issues with it though too - our guides wouldn't even attempt to open it so I never saw that one in action.

They need to post weight limits on each murphy bed, especially if they are all cantilevered. It looks like some have a support under the bed that others don't have.

I've seen weight limits posted on other ones at DVC. I'd be surprised that there wasn't here too. This looks to be more along the line of someone trying to hang a 50lb picture on a tiny nail in the wall.

It seems like having some flip down legs might help alleviate some of the pressure on the wall.

That said, in this particular case it was clearly a poor installation job. I hope Disney compensates this family well and I'm glad no one got hurt.

I seem to remember a metal flip down leg on the ones at VGF and Poly. I think I have stubbed my toe on them a time or two. IDK if the ones at Riviera are the same design.

one thing odd, is that it says "my mom's sofa bed" but that looks like the small murphy bed under the TV. I've heard that adults occasionally use these, and it's quite possible the contractor is at fault here, but those should really only be used by children imo.

Why should they be used only by children?

The mattress measures 30" wide and 73" long, as compared to a twin which is normally 39" wide and 75" long.

Also saw an older post here that says moderates murphy beds are 30″ wide by 64″ long so it seems the DVC ones are longer and pretty close to a twin bed.

Both sizes are longer than I am tall, and I sleep curled up on my side. If I ever needed to I could easily sleep on them.

My son, who was as tall as me at the time, slept nicely on the one at VGF.

speculation is strong in this thread

my thoughts are someone jumped on it it didn’t just fall by itself smh

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter