Riviera murphy bed fell off of the wall

I saw that- yikes. It could have been a very bad situation had it fallen differently or the parents not heard it and come to lift it off of her. You can see the furniture was screwed into the wall in two places but it still fell.

They had better check them all/ reinforce them so it doesn't happen again- would hate to see them have to move away from the murphy beds if something bad happened.

Here's the image from the article:

Last edited:
Wow I don't see any anchors there at all. Screw straight into the sheet rock? Glad no one was hurt seriously.
Yeah it’s the first thing I noticed. The contractor is at fault because they aren't supposed to be anchored even. They are required to be drilled right into the studs. Glad everyone is alright though. I’m sure Disney will probably make the rounds slowly to check all units.

Last edited:
one thing odd, is that it says "my mom's sofa bed" but that looks like the small murphy bed under the TV. I've heard that adults occasionally use these, and it's quite possible the contractor is at fault here, but those should really only be used by children imo.

one thing odd, is that it says "my mom's sofa bed" but that looks like the small murphy bed under the TV. I've heard that adults occasionally use these, and it's quite possible the contractor is at fault here, but those should really only be used by children imo.
I believe the weight limit is 200 lbs (if I recall correctly) so nice matter who is on it if they are under 200 lbs then it shouldn’t fall. A small child jumping or bouncing on the bed can be large enough to create a force large enough to rip it out of the wall when considering it wasn’t anchored to anything (drywall provides 0 effective strength for stuff like this).

I believe the weight limit is 200 lbs (if I recall correctly) so nice matter who is on it if they are under 200 lbs then it shouldn’t fall. A small child jumping or bouncing on the bed can be large enough to create a force large enough to rip it out of the wall when considering it wasn’t anchored to anything (drywall provides 0 effective strength for stuff like this).

they do usually seem quite sturdy so the 200 lb limit makes sense.

If they’re only intended for children, DVC shouldn’t allow 5 adults to stay in these studios. I’ve slept in them many times!

Obviously this post could be missing some information, but I would sure hope the management offered to come up and check on things immediately and rectify the situation. I can understand if everyone was in pajamas they declined. This seems to be missing a bit of concern on the hotel's part, oh we will fix it in the morning. Hopefully, more was said.

Looking again this is what it says. It is obviously not a toddler bed but a bed fit for adults.

"1 Queen Bed and 1 Queen-Size Pull Down Bed and 1 Single Pull Down Bed
Sleeps up to 5 Adults"

i'd argue that being fit for an adult doesn't mean it necessarily should be used by one, but that's not the discussion here. Clearly Disney expects that adults will use them so they need to be able to withstand use by adults. This looks like they missed a couple items on the contractor punch list.

Looking at the Disney site it lists this particular bed as a single bed. I think they are sized differently that the pull down beds at other resorts. They look larger/

this is interesting, i did not realize they were bigger

i'd argue that being fit for an adult doesn't mean it necessarily should be used by one, but that's not the discussion here. Clearly Disney expects that adults will use them so they need to be able to withstand use by adults. This looks like they missed a couple items on the contractor punch list.

My point is these are different than the other murphy beds. They look larger than the ones at the moderate resorts. I was kind of stunned when I heard the story which is why I went straight to Disney for the pictures. I'm wondering if they decided to do larger ones in the Riviera because they know adults are sleeping in them.

Does anyone know what the dimensions of the single bed at the Riviera is?

Adults have used them in all the other resorts for a couple years now and have we ever heard of this happening before? My twin DDs-20 (5' 9") use them with no problem. I think this one didn't get installed correctly or maybe it's a scammer situation where someone jumped on it or something to have this happen (I doubt that but never say never).

My point is these are different than the other murphy beds. They look larger than the ones at the moderate resorts. I was kind of stunned when I heard the story which is why I went straight to Disney for the pictures. I'm wondering if they decided to do larger ones in the Riviera because they know adults are sleeping in them.

Does anyone know what the dimensions of the single bed at the Riviera is?
Are they larger than Poly DVC's (pic below)? I will go research. My DDs slept in Poly DVC and Beach Club DVC ones.

Bed above is this size:

The mattress measures 30" wide and 73" long, as compared to a twin which is normally 39" wide and 75" long.

Also saw an older post here that says moderates murphy beds are 30″ wide by 64″ long so it seems the DVC ones are longer and pretty close to a twin bed.

And from photo above, at Poly, it looks like maybe the mom was sitting on the edge when it pulled out of the wall...just my guess. Or rolled to the edge like to pick something up off floor. But it should not have pulled away from wall. A couple people jumping on edge might make it pull away. Or not being secure properly.

Last edited:
Adults have used them in all the other resorts for a couple years now and have we ever heard of this happening before? My twin DDs-20 (5' 9") use them with no problem. I think this one didn't get installed correctly or maybe it's a scammer situation where someone jumped on it or something to have this happen (I doubt that but never say never).

You can tell by the photo this was poor installation plain and simple.

Bed above is this size:

The mattress measures 30" wide and 73" long, as compared to a twin which is normally 39" wide and 75" long.

And that is an adequate size for an adult. It is single bed sized. The ones at the moderates which I think people are confusing them with are 33" by 66" which certainly wouldn't fit most adults.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter