ROFR Thread July to Sept 2023 *PLEASE SEE FIRST POST FOR INSTRUCTIONS & FORMATTING TOOL*

Status
Not open for further replies.
IMO, this is a factor that should be part of the calculations of ‘value’ per point but is difficult to quantify because it’s unique to each individual & depends on view & villa size they plan to book.
I compared a hypothetical 1 week vacation starting tomorrow at BWV v. Riv.. I chose BWV because they’re both Epcot resorts, they’re approximately the same size, both have cheaper standard views, & MFs per point are about the same.
A 2 br. standard view next week would cost 253 pt.s at BWV v. 368 pt.s at Riviera.
If I paid $120 per point to get enough points for a 2 br. standard view at BWV it would cost $30,360, at Riv. $44,160. If I invest that $13,800 savings @ 5% for 18 years I have $33,211, @ 8% $55,145.
Then I have to add in carrying costs, BWV MFs are $8.53 x 253 points = $2158. Riv. MFs are $8.50 x 368 = $3128. So my 2 br. standard view Riv. villa currently costs $970 more per annum in MFs. If I throw that $970 per year in w/ my original $13,800 my gain after 18 years @5% is $60,500, @8% it’s $91,472. MFs will go up & they’ll go up more for Riv. in my hypothetical because I’ll have to pay on more points - so my numbers are conservative.
In 2042 BWV’s residual value is 0, thus to break even my 368 restricted Riv. points need to be worth $248 per point (8% BWV invested savings) or $164 per point (5% BWV invested savings.)

On the flip side, the SV RIV 2 bedroom is close to the 2 bedroom PV at BWV and on par with BCV.

Given that SV at RIV have fireworks views, it seems like a better comparison.

Realistically, getting SV at BWV is harder for owners than SV is at RIV for owners.

Still can make BWV the right choice if you prefer it, but there are ways to stay at RIV for a comparable number of points. And, rule of thumb has typically been dont but BWV for SV rooms.

On the flip side, the SV RIV 2 bedroom is close to the 2 bedroom PV at BWV and on par with BCV.

Realistically, getting SV at BWV is harder for owners than SV is at RIV for owners.

Still can make BWV the right choice if you prefer it, but there are ways to stay at RIV for a comparable number of points. And, rule of thumb has typically been dont but BWV for SV rooms.
This information really is important for someone like me who has both resorts on my potential purchase list.

My SSR points can most times get us a monorail resort so while I am really interested in POLY2 if we want an Epcot location we most likely cannot use the SSR points consistently.

Comparing a PV or BW view 2 br. week long stay at BWV is 309 pts. v. 368 for SV at Riv., so buy in cost is $7080 higher at Riv. plus MFs are $493 higher for those 59 additional points per annum, invested over 18 years at 8% yields $46,755 w/ a BWV purchase v. Riviera.
But, if we fast forward 5+ years when Riv is sold out & booking starts to settle into normal patterns, 29% of the resort is currently allocated to standard view, v. 20% of BWV, assuming resale restrictions increase pressure for booking during home resort, Riv standard view booking could become more competitive than currently. It won’t be like the hunger games of booking AKV value or club, but comparing the points needed for a week long Riv. preferred view 2 br. starting tomorrow - 435 v. 309 for BWV PV/BWV the buy in is $15,120 higher, per annum $1043 higher and savings invested yield @8% after 18 years is $99,480.
The cost of DVC has two components, the obvious upfront buy in cost & the long term carrying costs eg MFs, & those long term costs are much tougher to predict as are the value impacting changes DVC makes. BWVs had very low MFs for years, now they’re on the higher end. AKV reallocated view categories. GF built that walking path - making it more attractive to me but they added 2 million points w/ the addition of BPK reducing the value of my VGF points. If the rumored Skyliner extension includes an AKV/AKL stop, my points there will likely be worth more but my MFs might increase to pay for it.
Of course the only numbers I ran when I first bought was if I invested what I was going to pay for a resale AKV contract could I yield enough to pay WDW cash prices for a 1 br. or 2 rooms at a deluxe for the next 30+ years & the answer then was a resounding no, so I jumped in 😂.

Last edited:

Comparing a PV or BW view 2 br. week long stay at BWV is 309 pts. v. 368 for SV at Riv., so buy in cost is $7080 higher at Riv. plus MFs are $493 higher for those 59 additional points per annum, invested over 18 years at 8% yields $46,755 w/ a BWV purchase v. Riviera.
But, if we fast forward 5+ years when Riv is sold out & booking starts to settle into normal patterns, 29% of the resort is currently allocated to standard view, v. 20% of BWV, assuming resale restrictions increase pressure for booking during home resort, Riv standard view booking could become more competitive than currently. It won’t be like the hunger games of booking AKV value or club, but comparing the points needed for a week long Riv. preferred view 2 br. starting tomorrow - 435 v. 309 for BWV PV/BWV the buy in is $15,120 higher, per annum $1043 higher and savings invested yield @8% after 18 years is $99,480.
The cost of DVC has two components, the obvious upfront buy in cost & the long term carrying costs eg MFs, & those long term costs are much tougher to predict as are the value impacting changes DVC makes. BWVs had very low MFs for years, now they’re on the higher end. AKV reallocated view categories. GF built that walking path - making it more attractive to me but they added 2 million points w/ the addition of BPK reducing the value of my VGF points. If the rumored Skyliner extension includes an AKV/AKL stop, my points there will likely be worth more but my MFs might increase to pay for it.
Of course the only numbers I ran when I first bought was if I invested what I was going to pay for a resale AKV contract could I yield enough to pay WDW cash prices for a 1 br. or 2 rooms at a deluxe for the next 30+ years & the answer then was a resounding no, so I jumped in 😂.

SV is competitive now so I don’t see the resale restrictions mattering as points are all the same for the resort owners in terms of booking, But, it’s not as bad as BWV and I can’t see it being so because RIV has dedicated ones which BWV does not.

That’s not to say that someone who wants BWV should not buy it, but for us, the extra for RIV is worth it over BWV, given the expiration and the pluses of the resort itself.

Now, look at BCV…314 to 369 for a full 7 days…while 55 points may be a lot, it’s only that large if you stay a full week….stay only during the week and the difference between the two is much smaller..,

I think the point was to bring up that while there is no question that RIV is going to cost you more than staying in those Epcot 2042 resorts, there are also ways to look at it that make the difference palatable if you are trying to decide between the two.

A BWV 150-point contract with an August use year was posted for $112 this morning and has already been removed.

I figured it would sell fast.
When my OKW contract went so fast with multiple offers, I was almost kicking myself for not listing it at $120. I can imagine as some more of these contracts that were listed at May/June pricing get snatched up quickly, the market may trend up a little.

I'll admit I was drooling a little when I saw that one. Too bad when I checked my pockets I only found lint :(
I do not think I will buy again until fall 2024.

I have a vacation account which includes funding to buy another contract plus I really do not know what I want to buy yet.

I think I have it down to 4 possible resorts.

BLT or BWV resale or POLY2 or Riviera direct.

All of them make sense for one reason or another.

I do not think I will buy again until fall 2024.

I have a vacation account which includes funding to buy another contract plus I really do not know what I want to buy yet.

I think I have it down to 4 possible resorts.

BLT or BWV resale or POLY2 or Riviera direct.

All of them make sense for one reason or another.
There are a lot of BLT contracts reducing prices lately! There was at 160pt one dropped to around $120pp, got snagged right away!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter