Sept 25, 2004 - someone's gotta be coming!

I figured it was finally time to stop lurking around this thread, and introduce myself. :p My DH (26) and I (28) will be sailing on the 9/25 Western, in a cat 9 stateroom on deck 2 (although we're still thinking about upgrading). This is our second Disney cruise - our first was the 2/22/03 Eastern cruise on the Magic. We loved it so much, we're back to try the other route! :teeth:

We're flying in the day before (from CA), although we're arriving around 8:30 PM. We're also planning to stay an extra night in FL after the cruise, to visit the Kennedy Space Center and hang out around WDW (no parks, just resorts). We've actually never been to WDW! :earseek: I've been visiting Disneyland all my life, however.

What is everyone thinking about for excursions? We're looking at Capt. Marvin's on Grand Cayman (the 3-hour snorkeling/stingray tour), and a non-DCL snorkeling reef tour on Cozumel. How about you?

Have a great day! :sunny:

Our first cruise was in Sept but the Hurrican had hit the island a week or 2 before our cruise. There was another in the area when we left, we were told that the capt would go away from if if need be, but there was never a need the weather was perfect. Our second cruise was at Christmas and we would never do it again the ship was at MAX capacity and since we had been in Sept before we could tell the difference. We home school so we normaly vacation while the rest of the world is in school.

We will have ME DH-40, DW 42 DS's 12,5,4 and DD 10

We are not sure about what we are going to do in the islands yet since we have 2 under 6 it limits us in the disney itinerary, but I have been surfing and it seems we may arrainge something else, We did promiise the children that we would do a beach stop some where other than Castaway cay, JUST ENCASE.

We live outside Atlanta, so we will drive to Jacksonville Fri stay at the Embassy suites (larger rooms and good breakfast) then drive in in the morning

For us, it is me, Jill (30) and Tim (36). This will be our second DCL
cruise, but our first 7 night. We are doing 4 nights at WDW prior to the 9/25, then following it up with the 10/02 Eastern. Alot of Disney packed into one vacation! It should hold us over for awhile!

I posted above a bit that we will most likely wander Key West, do Capt Marvins in Cayman and Eagle Ray Divers in Cozumel, booking everything on our own. We are going for our scuba certification in May, so I want to get a dive trip in Cozumel.

Any one else a diver?

Not a diver, I admire anyone who can. We'll have 8 adults ranging from 42-69 with one child, my doted upon DD who will be 12 on the cruise. We can't believe that it takes 8 adults to take one child on a cruise. I think we're planning to take the trolley or bus in Key West, see the 6 toed cats at the Hemingway House, and see what else is available. In Cayman, I want to do a stingray tour--probably on our own, not through DCL. In Cozumel, we probably need to see some Mayan ruins, since DD is missing 3 days of school for the cruise. We did a DCL excursion on our eastern cruise in 2002, and enjoyed it, but it is an awful lot of "hurry up and wait".

We just updated our reservation to 9-25 and don't expect to change is (again!), so I figured it was time to chime in.

This will be our 6th cruise.

We started DCL their first year in service.
1. Magic 4 day (1st year Magic sailed)
2. Wonder 4 day (1st year Wonder sailed)
3. Magic 7 day (1st year of DCL 7 day cruises)
4. Wonder 4 day (tried out Freeport)
5. Wonder 4 day (test cruise with baby).

We originally booked for the very first DCL 7 day Western. We had to cancel when we found out DW was pregnant, and was going to be 1 week too pregnant to be allowed passage (women after 24 weeks of pregnancy are not allowed on board).

For this trip, we originally booked for a 7 day for November (we got a discount for booking while on that test cruise). But we then found out DW was pregnant, and the baby wouldn't be old enough to be allowed passage (infants must be past the age of 12 weeks to be allowed on board). When the Fall 2005 dates were announced, we transfered our discount to October 2005. But then a few weeks ago, we learned that DW has a miscarriage around the 7-8 week mark. So we decided that this time we would make sure we can go. September is early enough that even if DW gets pregnant within the next couple of months, we can still make Sept 2004. We just decided we didn't want to wait til 2005, only risk DW being pregnant and having to cancel again.

Hi, HooKooDooKu!

Welcome! Good to know we have a bunch of veteran cruisers out there! Help us 7 day newbies out!

I am sorry to hear of your loss, but you sound positive about the future of babies:cutie: !!! DH and I have been trying (for too darn long!) to have a little munchkin, and "what if we got pregnant" was always in the back of my mind when booking. I was thinking that we haven't had any luck yet, but it would figure that as soon as we book a big vacation, we'd get good baby news! Well, it hasn't happened yet, but lord knows I covered my bases with DCL/DU by asking them about cancellations and cruising while pregnant.

Where are you staying the night before?

We do a lot of Sept/Oct cruising as this is a birthday week for us as well as the "off season" cheaper rates. Have never had a problem getting into Castaway (made it every time) although we have had some "creative" iteneraries due to the hurricane season. No matter where we go, it is always a wonderful vacation on the Magic!

Yes, we book our excursions on our own. I didn't do this at first, but it is a great way to save $, especially if you have kids in the 10-12 age range. DCL considers them an "adult" for excursion rates at age 10, most of the vendors start adult rates at 12 or 13. Just be sure that anything you book on your own is fully refundable (or not paid till you do it) in the event that the ship can't dock. We are 0 for 3 on Grand Cayman!!!! That is a tender port, and if the seas are too rough, they can't tender.

Nice to meet you all. Just a thought....we should plan a Disboards meet for the first day. The standard time/place is by Studio Sea about 3 or 3:30.

We haven't made our pre-cruise plans yet. We usually do a few days in the parks first...I'll work out all those details later.
Kathryn

Some one else tell me that September can not come soon enough!!!

(bad day at work....looked at the countdown timer...it seems soooo faaaaarrrrr awaaayyyy!!!!)

Where are you staying the night before?

We've always stayed at the Best Western Space Shuttle Inn in Titusville.

It was the first thing in the area we ever learned about back on the first cruise we took during the first year Disney had the Magic in the water.

I only recently learned (and found) the Coco Beach area (we took a wrong turn leaving the port last time and found our selves driving thru the area.

While I think there is a Wal-Mart in the beach area too, we KNOW there is one within walking distance of the Best Western, and the area is right off the interstate (there is always those last minute things to buy or the things you forgot and remembered on the drive down).

We normally drive down the day before. Next morning, we wake up, pick up that last item we forgot the night before at WalMart, and take a leisurely drive down Hwy 1 to the port along the coast.

:wave2: Hi to all Sept. 25, 2004, cruisers!

I check in almost daily but haven't replied in a while……My DS (who will be 13 at time of cruising) and I booked airfare and will fly in to MCO on Fri. night………we have ground transfers and look forward to this experience…….although staying at port sounds marvelous, watching the Magic sail in to port…….have a ressie at the Hyatt which our TA recommended, for convenience……..logged on their site and the Hyatt pics are beautiful to the maxx!!.……..can't help thinking how pricey---to the maxx!!……..I'm torn but not opposed to looking at other options…….......of course, if we stayed at the Hyatt, we could spend our time shopping at the Magic of Disney and Earport instead of doing the shuttle thing ::yes:: ……..decisions…..decisions......:confused: ……any recommendations from you knowledgeable, seasoned Orlando travelers?

DS doesn't want to read or post……he's trying to suppress his excitement since we have to wait sssooooooo long till the cruise… :( …..would be nice to hear from you teens……......BTW, am I the only single on this cruise?

Lxnme2 :sunny:

Lxnme2-
Glad to hear you are flying down the night before. I think it will be a big relief to not have to deal with the "what if's" of trying to get in the same day. Did you find a good deal out of Hopkins?

As far as where to stay...I am not a seasoned cruiser, but I think it is 6 to one, half dozen the other. We have gotten a day room at the Hyatt in the past, and it is convienent, but pricey. You may want to check on www.castawayclub.com for some good advice on using priceline, or try priceline for the hyatt. If you do a search, I know some folks got a killer deal on it....the danger is that you may not end up with the hyatt. But figure, if you bid on a 3 1/2 star hotel, without a shuttle icon, there is a good chance it'll be it....or something as nice, at least! We chose port as we are coming from WDW, wanted to have a relaxing night and morning, and most importantly, get some laundry done! (That can be done at WDW, but I would feel like I missing something if I do laundry there!)

I am all for a meet....as long as we have plenty of time to eat, drink!

We always arrive at least the night before...just to avoid the "what ifs." I usually book an airport area hotel, 3* on Priceline, and can get it in the $30-$35 range. All of the 3*s have free shuttles to/from the airport. Yes, you might get the Hyatt, but you will get a decent hotel. All I'm really interested in is clean, close, and convenient at that point. I find we have plenty of time the next morning to get to the port.

If I'm driving, it's a different issue....better to stay in the Cocoa Beach, port area if hotel has free parking (Radisson and Quality Suites do.)

Info on Priceline bidding is at www.biddingfortravel.com.
Kathryn

Kathryn,

How far out does your Priceline bid usually get accepted? I've tried several times to bid on a 3* MCO hotel for 9/24/04, but I can't seem to get anything at $30 or under. Should I wait until the cruise gets closer?

We stayed at the Marriott near MCO (through Hotwire), which was a little run-down but perfectly fine for the night before the cruise.

Hello we too will be on the sept.25th magic (1ST Time Cruisers)Me my DW and DD6.
I have been checking these boards for info. and everything i've read is really helpfull THANKS!!!!:wave2:

Welcome! I am curious to know what you guys are all planning for excursions! Granted, it is a few months away, but what is everyone leaning towards?

DS doesn't want to read or post……he's trying to suppress his excitement since we have to wait sssooooooo long till the cruise… …..would be nice to hear from you teens……......BTW, am I the only single on this cruise?

Lxnme2

------

Hi, my sister and I are singles, too. We are really looking forward to this trip but your son is right- it does seem too far away.

Rose

DD will be 13 when we are on the cruise. We sailed in Feb for her 13th birthday, and she loved THe Stack.

Priceline usually accepts bids 6 months out, although we seen to get good rates starting about 3-4 months out. The site www.biddingfortravel.com has lots of info about Priceline bidding as well as recent postings of what people have paid for which hotels. The Hyatt is nice, but very pricey when not on Priceline (hee hee). $30 is probably a little low for 3*. Usually, I can get them in the $31 - 34 range. I know that sounds picky, but $1 can make a difference.

Socks, I'm a single mom...will travel with 13 year old DD.

We're going on the 9/25 cruise wiith our best friends. Cabins 6064 & 6066. Second cruise on the Magic (8/01) for us, fifth overall. First cruise for our friends. Kinda sorta our 30th wedding anniversary cruise since we were all married in '73.

Originally posted by mmorizio
We're going on the 9/25 cruise wiith our best friends. Cabins 6064 & 6066. Second cruise on the Magic (8/01) for us, fifth overall. First cruise for our friends. Kinda sorta our 30th wedding anniversary cruise since we were all married in '73.

Welcome! I figure we should get some chatter going on here....heck we are only 100+ days away......okay, that does sound way to far away!

Hello! we are sailing on our first ever cruise on the Magic 7 day western and I would love to talk with some other cruisers before hand! I am from Waterville, Ohio (near Toledo) and will be sailing with my husband and 9 year old twins! I must say I am a little nervous of the Hurricane season and the rocky boat people keep telling me about. Any words of comfort?
thanks
darcy:earsgirl:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter