Sept 25, 2004 - someone's gotta be coming!

Originally posted by dinnysuw
Hello! we are sailing on our first ever cruise on the Magic 7 day western and I would love to talk with some other cruisers before hand! I am from Waterville, Ohio (near Toledo) and will be sailing with my husband and 9 year old twins! I must say I am a little nervous of the Hurricane season and the rocky boat people keep telling me about. Any words of comfort?
thanks
darcy:earsgirl:

Another Buckeye! I grew up in Lakewood, my dad was born and raised in Port Clinton, mom Lakewood, grandma was born in Toledo, Aunt still lives in Catawaba Island. Okay, enough family history on me! But we also have another Ohioan aboard, Lxnme2.

I bet some others can give better experiences, but we had no issues on our 4 nighter in Oct 2002, which is still hurricane season. I am personally not too worried about it. From everything I read, the ship is super stable, and they will easily avoid any bad weather. Just because it is hurricane season, it doesn't mean we'll run into one! I have double the chance because we are doing the 10/02/04 Eastern as well. I will need motion sickness meds no matter what, as I can barely ride in a car for a bit with out getting a bit queazy.

Anyways, welcome aboard!

If any of you are interested in posting stateroom ##'s or any interests, shore excursion plans, etc, feel free! I would be nice to meet some of you folks face to face!

We will be in 6632. We plan on doing our own thing in Key West...nothing special there, but I definately want Conch Fritter's from B.O.'s (saw a special on the Travel Channel!)
We are trying to schedule a dive in Cozumel on our own, and we will book Capt Marvins or a dive in Grand Cayman.

We've never had issues because of hurrican season, and that's out of five previous trips all in Sept or Oct.

The nice thing about a cruise ship is that the Captain can move it!

We were on a Carnival Cruise in August '92 the week that hurricane Andrew hit Miami Beach! (For those who don't remember, Andrew was the worst hurricane in something like 40 years).

The captain changed course a bit, and we never even got any rain. One night the sea was slightly rougher than usual, but not enough to effect anyone.

Keep in mind that the ship we were on was considerably smaller than the Magic.

The only negative effect the storm had on our cruise was that Miami Airport was packed when we flew home since it had been closed for two days.

Thanks for the replies! two-foxes-I think it would be great to meet some of you all on board-especially the former or current BUCKEYES! Are you really doing two cruises back to back? I heard that the motion sickness bracelets are a good thing (work on pressure points) As far as dinner attire goes-are there really no shorts allowed-even for kids? I have the passporters book to help but i basically have been doing this all on my own-did you get your cabin #'s because you are paid in full? I would love to know where we are going to be! also one last thing how do you get that counter on your message.
darcy

WDW-1985 first trip at 18 yrs old
WDW-1994 first married trip (3 mos pregnant with twins!)
WDW-1998 first trip with the twins at 3 years old
WDW-2003 first trip with my 8 yr old twins, my sisters 4 year old
triplets and her 12 year old, our 8 yr old nephew and my parents-stayed in wilderness cabins-loved it!

Darcy-

Yep, 2 back to backs....we have no idea why we booked them...but the prices being lower helped...one good reason to cruise during hurricane season! Are you booked on a GTY or guarantee status? If so, that is why you haven't gotten a stateroom # yet. Although we haven't booked a GTY room, I have read you will receive your stateroom # when your docs arrive, and you also have better chances of getting an upgrade on GTY.

Dinner attire seems to be a "hot topic". There is a formal nite and a semi formal nite. There will also be a Mexacali themed nite and the other nites are casual ("no short or jeans please" per the navigator.) DCL has a suggested dress, in which some abide to the suggestion, others do not, which is what makes it a discussion point on the boards sometimes. We will dress for formal/semi formal nites...it gave me excuses to go shopping!

So as far as other great info besides these boards, try ************************ for other great info. Barb and her DH have been on over 30 DCL cruises. Click on the navigators for the western cruise and you can get a good idea of what the daily activities are like, as well as what the dinner dress is for each nite. Also, www.dcltribute.com has a link to "Entropy's Cruise Guide" which is like a DCL bible, but it will have alot of the same info as the Passporter and Barb's site.

Lastly, the counter.....go to the tech support board here, click on the thread titled FAQ's and it has the step by step instructions on how to do it. You can then test it on the Test Board.

You can learn TONS from the DIS, so check in every now and again, and see what others have posted and you can learn tons!

Geez, forgot about the banned website....

Try this, www. castawayclub .com, only no spaces in between the words. She is great resource, but since she is doing travel agent work now, her website isn't permitted here.

Hi Gang!
Don't worry about September being hurricane season. The captain will take the ship away from any bad weather (if it is out there.) We've always made it to Castaway....sometimes missed other ports.

The big thing about September cruises is that you need to be willing to be flexible. It will be a great trip. Exactly where we go may vary due to weather. However, as the captain said on the PA system, "I am fully aware of the guest services component of my decisions, but only an idiot would steer a ship toward a hurricane." It is always a fun time, and the DCL staff has much experience with alternative ports (if needed).

There was one cruise where DCL didn't get into ANY ports. They had a blast on the ship, and everyone got a voucher for another cruise at no charge (too bad I wasn't on that one!)

If your heart is set on a particular port, Sept isn't the time to sail. However, if you are planning on a great time on the Magic...you're on the right ship! We've done it 10 times and have 2 more booked!
Kathryn

Hello fellow 9-25 Magic cruisers!

I am so happy to have found you on this thread.

My DH, myself and our DD (9) and DS (5) will be sailing for the second time on the Magic. We sailed for the first time on Disney last October. The Halloween cruise. We had such a fabulous time that we rebooked while on board. We rebooked for the Spring of 2005 but decided to move up our date to 9-25 of this year. I am SO excited.

Has anyone gone through the posts on this thread and combined all the names of the members into one list? The thread we had going for our Halloween cruise last year did this and it was helpful to have all the names in one place. We also shared cabin numbers because we arranged for a trick or treat for the kids from cabin to cabin of the members of our thread. It was great fun. It was also fun to see if any of the DIS members had a cabin near yours.

I am going on a trip from June 12-23 but when I return, if nobody has done it and nobody objects, I can compile a list to get us started.

I look forward to getting to know you all before we set sail. It will be here before we know it!! I have to go back to page one and start reading all your posts now.

Thanks for starting this thread! Carlotta

Carlotta-

I have no objections, I just didn't know where to start! If you could put it together, that would be GREAT!!!!

I am sure I put it somewhere in the thread before, but .....

Tim and Jill from Colorado
Staying at the Radisson the night before (doing some days at WDW from 9/19-9/24)
Celebrating Tim's 37th BDay!

Second DCL, First Magic, Second Magic is the 10/02!

You are awesome for heading this up! I was putting the feelers out there, thanks!

I figured it was finally time to stop lurking around this thread, and introduce myself. My DH (26) and I (28) will be sailing on the 9/25 Western, in a cat 9 stateroom on deck 2 (although we're still thinking about upgrading). This is our second Disney cruise - our first was the 2/22/03 Eastern cruise on the Magic. We loved it so much, we're back to try the other route!
Hi AprilN! we too are traveling on magic 9/25 first time crusie for us so we are very excited my DH,DD and DS we haven't sent in final payment so we don't know where we are just yet-we are cat 6 w/ verandah-i think those are on decks 5 and 6 anyways-i know there is going to be a seperate thread hopefully started with names of 9/25 cruisers. look for that one to add your name
darcy

:wave:

Hi everyone!!!! So nice to hear from more cruisers, especially you former and current Ohioans. We are flying in the night before cruise but not finalized excursions yet.....cruise seems closer (yeah I know 100some days is still a long way off) but I'm thinking mile marker----final payment due next month. Sooooo, we.....actually, I started packing things as we think of them in our carry-ons, luggage and we have a list together.

Would like to have dinner at Palo but my son is too young to join me :( would be nice to dine with other single(s) and/or mom(s) if anyone interested. Am looking forward to meeting all of you on the Magic. We are assigned to 6514.

Lxnme2 :earsgirl: :earsboy:

Hi everyone!!!! So nice to hear from more cruisers, especially you former and current Ohioans. We are flying in the night before cruise but not finalized excursions yet.....cruise seems closer (yeah I know 100some days is still a long way off) but I'm thinking mile marker----final payment due next month. Sooooo, we.....actually, I started packing things as we think of them in our carry-ons, luggage and we have a list together.
Hi Lxmne2! Where in Ohio are you from? We are staying at the Radisson the nite before-not getting in until 9:30pm-but thought it could be great if we could try to get some people together for breakfast before we disembark. We are sending in final payment this month and can't wait to start planning excursions! myself.DH and DS and DD both 9.
Darcy

Just booked our Capt Marvins half day snorkling trip for Grand Cayman! Whooo hooo, starting to feel "real" now! As soon as we do our open water certification for scuba, we'll book a dive trip through Eagle Ray Divers in Cozumel...for you non divers, they do snorkling, too!

Lxneme2....if we get a chance to meet up, when making ressies, you should come with Tim and I to Palo Brunch...in fact, that may be a fun adults get together for anyone who wants to join!

So, I'm throwing that out there! If anyone wants to do Brunch on a sea day...send a PM to me and we can try to coordinate a time to get ressies together!

Jill

Originally posted by two-foxes Just booked our Capt Marvins half day snorkling trip for Grand Cayman!
We'll be on that excursion as well - see ya there! :p We're planning a snorkel trip around Cozumel through Travelnotes/Papa Hog's, but if it doesn't work out, we'll look into Eagle Ray Divers as well.

PS - my DH spent his teenage years in Berea, OH, and his family still lives there! :teeth:

:wave2: Please check your personal messages if you have signed onto this thread! we are trying to get a list together of fellow cruisers-and a PM has been sent to everyone who has said they are going
thanks
darcy:Pinkbounc :sunny:

Hi fellow 9/25 cruiser.

Just found this thread thanks to darcy. It will be myself dw dd8 and dd 12. We did 4 day wonder two years ago same time frame and this will be first time on the 7 day. Looking soooo forward to it. At this time excursions planned are for para sail for myself and banana boat ride for all on castaway cay. We are from N.C. and plan to drive down night before. Probably will not arrive until late. We have not tried to book a room yet. stayed at raddison last time. We have been booked since last fall. we have 7005 booked at this time but might consider an upgrade at the port if any are available and the price is right. Any one know anything about this room as far as motion or noise. It is a connecting room which we did not request so I was a little supprised to get that one. Thought they might hold it for groups.

Thanks ahead of time for any info.

godisneyboat

GODISNEYBOAT-welcome-I'm glad my link to this thread worked! If you want to PM me w/ your email address and names of family, i will add all your info to our list. there are two families so far staying at the radisson the night before (myself included) we are planning on a morning breakfast meet-a little more relaxing-and that way we'll know someone before we board. we are still planning on a disboard meet as well time and location TBA. probably a month before cruise i will email or/and PM all cruiseres info to each other. great to hear from you!
darcy
:wave:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter