Sept 25, 2004 - someone's gotta be coming!

Once again, not going as planned!!!!:sad: We are in NY and were rescheduled on a flight to arrive in Orlando tomorrow morning at 9:05am, but we just found out the flight is cancelled. I just got off the phone with DCL and they said they will not know what is going on for a few hours as all flights arriving to Orlando before 12:00pm tomorrow have been cancelled. There is a meeting going on as we speak with the management of DCL deciding what they are going to do with the Magic. They obviously cannot leave at 5:00 tomorrow if the flights are not getting in until after 12:00 and there is still a 3.5-4 hour ride to Port Everglades.

I am keeping my fingers crossed that things start to work out!!!:confused:

DCL said to call back in a few hours and they would have a better answer as to what is going on and what flight we will be on.

:earsboy: :earsgirl: :earsgirl:

Important Info About 9/27 Magic Cruise

If you were scheduled for the 9/25 (now 9/27) Magic:

I spoke with DCL at 3:30 eastern and they told me the following:

DCL will now bus everyone to the Sheraton at the Ft. Lauderdale airport and NOT the port. If you are driving, you MUST go to the Sheraton. They will check everyone in at the Sheraton because Port Everglades does not have the room or facilities to do check in.

Check in will begin at 5 PM. They will not be boarding the ship at 1. They expect the ship to leave at 8 pm.

The address for the Sheraton is 1825 Griffin Road in the FLL airport.

I encourage you to call DCL yourselves to conform this information. I know that those who get this news will be disappointed in not being able to board the ship early; this effectively means that we lose about 6 hours on the ship on embarkation day.

Just called DCL and on the first recording, it now says midnight for a depature time! Keep calling for updates everyone!

I know your cruise hasn't started, and I have no clue why I even checked this thread (nosey I guess just as people were with our cruise), and I don't want to get you down but once you get finished with your cruise, make sure you make contact with Disney about WHAT excatly they mean by their 40% refund. There had been some varied different responses to those who got the 50% refund for the 9/4 cruise. Stay on top of it with DCL because many of you MIGHT get many different responses from them. We also learned they credited 2 different credit cards of my husbands (because he used one to book and do the deposit and another to pay the final) and it came in 9 (I think that was the number) different refund amounts that totaled the amount (full because we cancelled) refund amount. Some of the 50% off people started out being told it wasn't going to included taxes, port fees, etc. but in the end we think they did end up getting those back.

Hope you all have a good trip once you get on the ship.

sitting in a hotel after "riding the storm out" anxiously waiting to get on the damn boat. quite a story to tell-will have to wait as i do not have the energy right now!
darcy

Same here! We flew in Friday from NY. Went to MK on Sat. and woke up to no electricity in our hotel today. We're travelling with our four kids and two grandmas! We just got power again after about 12 hours under curfew. We're over ready for the start of this trip. We decided to drive down to Fll in our rental car in the morning. Let's see what adventure we can get ourselves into tomorrow!

mickey squared
did you see that we are not leaving until midnite now! here is summary-wonder comes in disembarks-gets cleaned, they board new guest then leaves at 8 pm-when wonder is gone then magic can come in-seems as if they only have one "slip" so they can have only on ship in at a time! a multi billion dollar corp. and they can't get their stories straight-6 different info tosix different people-this has been a nightmare. just wanting to be on the boat at this point. no flaming please-we have spent the last 3 days running from Jeanne across the state of Fla. and no i am not being insensitive to the floridians who have lost much-but this is not a hurricane post-this is a disney magic 9/25 post-so don't even flame me people-i am not in the mood! :tongue:

My dh said he saw this posted somewhere -- could that actually be true thatthe Magic and Wonder can't dock at the same time?

And if so, why didn't they let us know this days ago when they knew both would go out of Everglades on Monday??

And yes, I know this is a logistical problem for Disney, but this midnight thing has me a bit crazy since (1) we're travelling with little kids; (2) we rented a van so we could get there early and not on the buses; and (3) when we said we were going to take the bus from WDW (since we oculdn't board early), they told us that we CANNOT park at a WDW resort. Huh? You're bussing us from the resort, what do we do with our cars? "Either have someone drop you off or you'll have to park at the airport and take the bus from the airport."

Great.

Marcy-this is what myself and missyoh8 were both told. they only get one "slip" to dock since this isn't their port-they are using some other cruise lines port-norwegian i believe, since the wonder has people one it they want them off first. now i have aked them why we weren't told of this earlier and they blame it on the higher ups just making the decision-oh please! also IMHO it seems that it would make more sense to get passengers onto the boat that is already empty-boarding would be much easier and less confusing with the on/off thing! i was also told that we would be able to go to the sheraton as early as 1pm d/t checking out of hotel. then the same person told me an hour later that i had to go to the port and he thinks they will ck my luggage, shuttle me to the sheraton and then shuttle us back huh???? why i asked he said because those people that disney are bussing in won't be here until 4 or 5. so those of us who have been stuck here since friday and told to go to Ft. Lauderdale are now been shoved aside once again! the CM also told me there are only 6 of them answering phones and they have been there since friday-i then told him how i have been shuttling my family across the friggin state d/t mandatory evacuations and my sympathy is a little low right now! anyway- i digress.....it is now 3 am and i am still up-just wondering what else will happen-my positive thinking got blown away with the hurricane winds we endured in ft myers after evacuating ft lauderdale!

ok...........

who's home and what are your thoughts in hind sight???? Just curious?

We had a great time and I guess we all drink too much because we are booking the same week next year! I am still upset with the way DCL handled Monday. I think we should have just boarded Tuesday at the crack of dawn and pulled out at some ungodly time like 6 or 7. We were just very frustrated and tired and hungry by the time we were permitted to line up (although NO ONE would be getting in front of us if we just were patient..........NOT) I think my Disney satisfaction would have been much higher had they have been ready and waited. I have drafted my letter on the plane yesterday and will send tomorrow, I just don't want to have to go through that mess again. I suppose if that is the worst of my year...........I have got a pretty good life :teeth: .
What were your thoughts on DCL handing out 5 night tip sheets? We tipped based on these figures, however I thought the company should absorb the first night. I would never want our people to suffer the consequences however.......they did their job and did it quite well (all-be-it for 4 nights, not 5). Actually we gave the host quite a good tip, as he went way above and beyond!
So post your thoughts, I am just wondering what you all think about the way things were handled:confused3

missyoh8

Even though we're home, my DS just asked me "Mom, can I go to the Oceaneer's Club today??" I'd just like to know when the boat stops rocking! It still feels like I get a little "whooo" in my belly every now and then.

I think everyone will agree. Monday was H-E-DOUBLEHOCKEY STICKS! I could NOT believe the "adults" yelling at castmembers at the Sheraton. One woman in particular was sitting on the bus waiting to be taken to the boat. It was sitting for a long time and she climbed off the bus and approached, wait...I'd like to change that to...stomped off the bus WITH her small son. She came over to the doorman and SCREAMED "I'm P_$$_D!" WITH HER SON, I REPEAT! Unbelievable. Like that guy had ANYTHING to do with when her bus would pull out. Then another guy came up to the same cast member demanding answers that the castmember obviously had no ability to respond to. I loudly told my husband so these idiots could hear me...."EVERYONE at this hotel had the opportunity to cancel and chose not to...they should have anticipated the chaos." When we were still standing in the Sheraton at 8:00 p.m. we too were very seriously questioning our decision to take the cruise but I wasn't about to take it out on someone who couldn't do anything about it. After riding out a hurricane in the Orlando Airport Renaissance, we just wanted to get things underway and were exhausted, stressed, and anxious.

That being said, once we had a good night sleep (and several Pina Coladas), things started to change for us. It was a fantastic 5 days and we will go back. As a matter of fact, I'm going to start researching prices and rooms today. I'm sorry I didn't get to meet anyone but Tawnya. It would have been nice to put names to faces. I'm sure I passed many of you during our trip.

Disappointments: No Palo, No spa. All spots were reserved by the time we got to the makeshift reservation tables at the Sheraton. No Castaway Cay or cabana massage. I talked to a person at the shore excursion table and she said an expedition team was going to CC on Tuesday to assess the damage. Not getting the complete show at Animator's Palate but a combo pirate night/animator's show. Not having a proper sail away party.

Highlights: Mayan Ruins in Costa Maya and sipping a Sol beer in Mahahual (did that place look like a movie set or what?) Kids LOVED the clubs. AND HOW HOT WAS COZUMEL??? My DS loved Gos and Mary in the Lab. My daughter LOVED Tea with Wendy although I thought it was the lamest Disney presentation I've ever attended. We thought the comedian Rich Purpura was hilarious. Revolution ended...big big finish! My kids loved being in the pre-show for the 6:00 p.m. Golden Mickeys show. The kids show brought tears to my eyes on Friday! My daughter's new favorite song is "Hey....Hey Baby (OOOH, AAAH)...I want to know if you'll be my girl" from the deck parties. Anyone know who sings it so I can find it for her on CD? We enjoyed program directors Karen and Cue and got a kick out of Cue's "Yeah, baby" at bingo. We had Sanjeev and Kendell as our servers and the kids adored them. Myhusband said that it better be really good to make up for Monday. And it was...he's ready to go back tomorrow! He said that it was pure, true Disney magic and wouldn't even consider another boat.

I WANT TO GO BACK....FOR 7 NIGHTS!!! When will we get our coupon. Will it go to our T.A. or straight to us?

Jamie

Darn I wish we would have toured the ruins with you.......I suppose that would be a smart decision when going to an area which is untouched! A historical view might have left us with a better taste, and a bit of culture as well for the kids. Instead they now have a negative vibe on the area and the people. Hopefully I will never go there again, if so I will consider the ruins. Thanks for sharing my sister is going on Saturday so I can share the information with her.

I am not on the ship but I a still rocking as well.........just a little Disney Magic at home:earseek:

Missy

We're home as well, long, long trip report coming with our observations etc. We had a most incredible time. Yes, we were sad to have 2 1/2 less days on the ship, but we were on the ship. And in our opinion Disney did a great job under totally extraordinary circumstances. Flame away, but for those who posted from the previous cruises and told those of us defending Disney that we couldn't speak on the topic until we went through it. Well we went through it. Disney obviously learned some things from the previous weeks, but were still faced with unique and still quite fluid circumstances.

And for those who have read the thread about our God-daughter, maybe that just keeps our lives in perspective. I know, I know, we have all be chastised for telling people to get a grip in the face of real tradgety, but the truth is, we got to spend 4 days and five nights on the ship with Annie and her family. A year ago, almost to the day she started her battle against cancer. There were many times when it was very possible that we would never spend time with Annie on this earth again! So I'm going to complain that it took too long to get on the ship, no way!

Our only complaints stem from the behavior of many of the guests. Some of the situations have already been mentioned. It would be very nice if DCL could look into the magic mirror and know exactly when a storm is going to hit, how long it is going to last, what track it is going to take, which ports will be effected and the numbe of ships that need to off load and re-load passengers. Since they don't they have to make decisions on ever changing circumstances and try to keep things running while being staffed with people. People who don't always hear things right, don't always have the latest information and may have been stressed because they dealt with their fourth hurricane in 6 weeks. I also think we should take a look at the places we work, does everything go smoothly, is communication always optimal or do we always agree with the decisions that are made. If so, please let me know which company it is, I'd like a job there.

Finally, I think those guests who were down right rude and ignorant with the cast memebers should be ashamed of themselves. I saw several wonderful (please add the edge of sarcasim to this) examples for their children! There is almost never an excuse for some of the close to abusive behavior we saw. The customer may always think they are right, but it doesn't give them license to be as rude as they were. Many of them were probably in church today, hm, is that what we're taught there?

Any how, it was very memorable and we can't wait to go back. We're hoping that we might be able to use our refund and discount t to squeak out another cruise this winter, in two cat 12s for very little additional cash. We'll see.

It's interesting to read the perspectives of folks who made it on the shortened cruise. Anyone miss their flights and not make it at all? We found out by calling DCL (they had our cell number, but the only message we got was from TA Costco, at home, long after we left). A recorded message detailing the changes could be quickly sent out to *everyone*. Frankly, the only unexcusable aspect of the entire situation was the response when I asked the DCL CM about getting a room at a Disney World resort. They did not say, "Certainly, we can reserve a room for two nights, which category would you like?" They did not say, "Sorry, we can't do that, but I'm transferring you to the reservations line, and here's a discount code you can use to help make up for the inconvenience." No, the response was, "Oh, we can't do do that. You'll have to call the main reservations number." In other words, there is a huge hurricane coming, but you are ****ed, find your own damn place to stay. That is ridiculous. I'm a big boy, and had a calling card and cell phone handy to call reservations (not a local call), but they basically left us high and dry. Thank god that WDW took pity on us for DCL's poor treatment and got us a room at the gorgeous Wilderness Lodge for those nights, even when all the reasonably priced rooms appeared to be sold out.

We used one of our delay days to have a fantastic time at Epcot. During the tail-end of the hurricane on Sunday, we found out that the sailing was being pushed back again. All this, combined with what we knew would be a horrific time boarding on Monday, as well as the fact that the shortened, chaotic cruise could never live up to our expectations, made it obvious to me that the only sensible thing to do was send DCL back the big screw you they had sent us, and cancel the cruise in favor of what we knew would be a world-class vacation at Disney World. No expectations, and we could start having fun the next morning. This ranks up there with one of the best decisions I feel we have ever made. It was a lot more expensive, and we didn't really have a plan for the parks, but this past week has probably been the most fun of my life. Just goes to show that even people who have never been to WDW and have no guidebook and no DIS can still have a great time. I'm very happy that some people managed to have a great time once the cruise started.

OK, I should go to bed (we got up at 6AM ET), but cheers to you all.

Walt

Hi All!
After reading all your reports, I am glad that I finally made it to the ship at 10:30pm. I missed all the fun. We boarded right away- no lines. I think we were the last bus out of Orlando. The seats were filled with all kinds of snacks- my son went crazy eating all the candy. I have to say that all and all the cruise was a success. This being my 3rd Disney cruise, I kind of felt sorry for the cast members with all the garbage they had to put up with and still try to keep those smiles on.

I agree about the tips- it should of been a 4 nite tipping system.

I really didn't enjoy Costa Maya- I don't enjoy the natives getting into your face to sell you something.

I think that Disney could of given us more characters- my grandaughters face-she's two) is what keep my happy all the time when she met them. My servers were the best and My steward was great(even if he had to work around my teenage son)

All and all- it was a cruise to remember again. Disney always puts their best foot forward.

Does anyone know any details about that repositioning cruise in 2005? I could use 14 days on the Magic- Who couldn't?:wave2:
Thanks for all your updates.

Walt, I'm sorry you didn't make it on the ship, although it sounds like you had a great vacation.

As I posted in my original "Live" post, the embarkation day was difficult for us, but we stayed cheerful and calm (except for one moment, which I'll describe in a minute) and put it all behind us once we boarded. Even though we did not make it to the Sheraton (we were told we couldn't go until 5, but thenm were turned away at 5), we were able to get Palo ressies for brunch and dinner, thanks to my newfound ability to sprint when needed.

We had a fabulous cruise. Ad I know this will be an unpopular statement, but i think DCL went above and beyond what they needed to do with respect to credits and refunds -- the 40% off, $300, and $25% off a future cruise made this vacation almost embarrassingly inexpensive for us. We calculated that it would almost cost us less to cruise on the 9/27 Magic with all of the "incentives" if we booked a future cruise than it would to have stayed home.

My husband said yesterday that this was the best vacation he's ever taken. Coming from a man who I dragged around the world with me for 10 years before we had kids, that's a pretty amazing statement. I thought DCL outdid themselves. As soon as we walked up the gangway to the ship, everything that had happened for the past 6 plus weeks disappeared for us -- the CMs onboard the ship were very, very "on".

The highlights for us:
-- Palo's, Palo's, Palo's. I can't believe I've never eaten there before. I'm also 5 pounds heavier than I was last week, and I blame it all on our waiter, Sasha.
-- The Oceaneer's Club. What an amazing, amazing place. IMO, the DCL cruise is worth every extra penny if you have kids over the age of 3, because no one can beat those kids' programs.
-- The Golden Mickeys show at 2:15. I LOVED going to a matinee show, and I hope DCL does this more often for days at sea. I spent the first 25 years of my life in New York City, and I love matinees. My kids loved it, too, and the timing was perfect.
-- Pirate Night. I thought this was fabulous, and loved how everyone kept their bandanas on during dinner and through the deck party.

I saw that someone has already written a letter to DCL; I will be writing one, too. But I decided that my letter will be positive and will compliment those CMs who really made our trip magical, and complimenting DCL on the changes we noticed since our last sailing in 10/02. I've addressed my compaints about embrakation day here, but I want to make sure that DCL knows what a wonderful vacation we had and how wonderful many of their CMS are.

Marcy

P.S. I had one moment where, as my husband described it, he saw a blood vessel burst in my head. When we were on the bus and finally made it to the Sheraton (after being at the port and airport for 3 hours, and on the bus for about an hour and a half, waiting to go to the Sheraton for "5 o'clock check in"), a bucnh of CMs came on board and told us they had closed the Sheraton check-in. One of the CMs, named Kim, sat across from me and explained what had happened. I said to her, "Please, Kim, please tel me that you're kidding." She saw the tears well up in my eyes (which was from exhaustion, disappointment, and holding my breath to try to calm down -- thus my husband's comment), and she was very sympathetic. After that, the CMs were very open with us about THEIR horrific day, including people holding their babies while they cursed at the CMs. Ugh. Kim said, "Well, part of our job is to take that type of behavior." I told her that no, no one's job is to be treated like that; I think that's when the CMs became our buddies. :earsgirl: Bless them for sharing their snacks with my girls, though -- I'm not sure how much longer the kids would have lasted sans food.

We, too, made it on the ship. We had a lovely time, this being our first cruise ever. Yes, things were OUT OF CONTROL on Monday, we didn't board the ship until 9pm after sitting at the Sheraton since 3:30. We did feel that DCL kept telling us the "best case scenario" and wasn't exactly upfront with us about things on Monday. But I guess that's water under the bridge. We had a wonderful time and are trying to decide when to book again and how to swing a 7 nighter with the available dates.

My question--Being that the Magic will be in California for the summer and those cruises are basically sold out, what do you all think our chances are of Disney letting us extend our 25% off discount past the October 31, 2005 deadline? I hate to take our kids out of school again this year and I'm a little aprehensive to book in September again. I did notice that this week there is no tropical storm activity in the Atlantic. How ironic.

Anyway, give me some ideas!

Thanks, Heidi

I just sent my TA an email. We want to rebook for the same week next year. Call us crazy! With the 25% off, it's a deal!

Jamie

I too am home and still feel some rocking :) We would like to write a letter to DCL also. Can someone help me with the address to mail the letter?

Hello all!
To those of you wonderful people we had the pleasure of meeting-Zitofamily-Calvin,Carlotta, Caitlyn and Cameron; Missyoh8-Missy, Big Bo and Little BO, Alex, Luke, Nana and Papa, Mickeyzgirl-Tawnya, Chris and Mishayla, Kcashner-Kathryn; Twofoxes-Jill and Tim and LXNME2-Margaret and Alex. Hello again and hope all is well! I am truly certifiable as i just booked not one, but 2 more cruises-sans DH, he will not be joining us-cruising just wasn't his thing-I am hoping to change his mind before the 9/16/2006 cruise-did you see the itinerary? 2 stops at castaway cay-i just booked a cat7 for 3 for 2919.34-that was 300.00 less than the 2005 cruise!! the first cruise is for 9/24/2005. This time I will be a little more wiser-still get there on friday-but not such and early flight-had we had an afternoon flight things might have been a little different for our little hurrican adventure. All in All it was agreat vacation. I agree with the miscommunication-had it not been for these boards, Calvin and Carlotta for caring enough to call us (thanks again guys!) and hooking up with Missyoh8 we would have been lost! I loved our stateroom-the dolphins on drill day were unreal! we also saw them from our verandah-and i was able to get a picture of them mid jump! servers Arvind and Cynthia were good. i liked cynthia alot-although she forgot drinks and things quite often, Arvind was distant but tried hard. we left them both excellent comments as i saw how hard they all work. steward was Carl-never really saw him too much-but definitely knew he was there-room was always clean with great towel animals, the monkey was the best! the shows were exceptional! Hercules was absolutely hilarious and the comedians rich purpura, the ventriloquist (forgot his name) and david dimunzio the juggler were extrodinary! the last day i went to see ladder 49 at 1pm and stayed for bingo at 3:30-i was getting a little sea sick after that length of time in there, but that was the only time i felt anything! DH spent the last day and the following sicker than a dog-poor guy. 24 hour bug we think. he is fine now.
In hindsight-if I knew before we left for Florida that the crusie was delayed would i still have gone-yes! I will write my letter and it will inlcude the good, the bad and the ugly. Yes, DCL tried and did more than any other cruise line out there i am sure. As i said in another post, this is where i vent. Not once did i raise my voice or share my disgust with the CM's. I was in line waiting to speak with guest services at the Sheraton when i overheard a feww men telling the lady they wanted more money or else they wouldn't tip-and i told them that was ridiculous it wasn't the wait staffs fault, but i am sure that they felt the sting of the cruisers come tip day! i am upset that we weren't told that the discount needed to be used by 10/1/2005. they snuck that little tid bit in later. another observation was the goofy pool-my kids didn't really use the pools-but when they did they both slipped and hurt themselves. i saw so many kids and adults slip on the blue deck around that pool-something really needs to be done to fix that. my DD really hurt her hand (and pride). if anyone else is cruising the same times (9/24/2005 or 9/16/2006) let me know! take care.
darcy:wave:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter