SHADES OF GREEN at Walt Disney World Resort Information & Questions

Not sure if this is the best place to post but I'm getting ready to cancel a SOG reservation for Nov 26-Dec 2 of this year. 4 nights in a renovated room, 2 in a junior suite. So keep you eyes peeled if you're looking to go then.

They have a sign up now that tells you to hold up your ID's for the guard to see when you are walking by the guardhouse. One time there were 3 people walking right behind us. The guard yelled over and asked if they were with us. They weren't. The guard walked up to them and detained them for quite a while. Another time my D-I-L was walking back close to midnight and the guard stopped her.

Interesting. Considering the sidewalk is about 20 feet away from the guardhouse, I'm not sure how much they can see from there on those little SOG cards. We've walked past there many times and I always wondered about why they check every vehicle but not pedestrians.

We just purchased our 5 day military tickets and received the photocopy of the back. I need to link them so I can make our FP+ starting next Friday. Schedule for making FP+ actually works great since I normally leave for work before 7 am. I don't work Friday's so I can do Fri, Sat and Sun at 7 am, then Monday is a holiday, so Tuesday is the only day I can't make our FP first thing in the am unless I go into work late. We leave in three weeks to head to FL for our b2b RCI cruise on Oasis and then to WDW for 5 days. Yes, we're both taking 3 weeks off work for this vacation. We both plan to retire in 3-5 years so we're practicing lol.

Interesting. Considering the sidewalk is about 20 feet away from the guardhouse, I'm not sure how much they can see from there on those little SOG cards. We've walked past there many times and I always wondered about why they check every vehicle but not pedestrians. .

LOL, I said the same thing to my husband. We spend about 24 days a year at SOG. I have seen the sign in the past and always ignored it. But my husband insisted on holding up his ID this year. The guard would wave at us. I told my husband that the guard has no idea what you're holding. That's why I was surprised when he stopped the party behind us. I looked and there was nothing weird about their appearance.

Good luck with your FPs!

Hey y'all! Just wanted to come back and let you know, if you're staying at a Disney resort before you check into SOG, Disney will transfer your luggage to SOG! I was so surprised when bell services at pop said yep they transfer there. Anyway, hope this helps somebody else out

Hey y'all! Just wanted to come back and let you know, if you're staying at a Disney resort before you check into SOG, Disney will transfer your luggage to SOG! I was so surprised when bell services at pop said yep they transfer there. Anyway, hope this helps somebody else out

Thanks! Your luggage arrived without any problems? Did you end up taking a taxi or Uber to SOG?

Really? That's awesome! Wonder if it works the other way too!

Super excited, just booked another 9 day trip in January at SoG... we love this resort!!! :woohoo: Can't wait to hunker down in this thread and see what's new since last year!

I also started a PreTrip Report (link in my siggy) if anyone wants to follow along? Or if you'd rather read a completed Trip Report, I have a few in my siggy that feature SoG as our resort... lots of pics and navigation stories. :lovestruc. Feel free to stop by & say hello. :thumbsup2

D~

Thanks! Your luggage arrived without any problems? Did you end up taking a taxi or Uber to SOG?

No problems at all!! I can let you know Saturday if they transfer back to Disney. We took uber to SOG but straight from AK since we didn’t have to worry with our bags. I was excited to not have to worry about the bags and didn’t lose any Park time

I have Celiac. SOG has gluten free pancakes and waffles. I've never had the waffles but the pancakes were NOT good. They will make gluten free toast upon request. I asked how they prepared it and was told it's in its own dedicated toaster.

The chef will go through everything on the buffet and tell you what is gluten free. One offered to get items from the back if I was concerned about cross contamination on the buffet.

Manginos has one menu that designates gluten free options. You have to ask for it. I have had the pasta there many times without incident. I make sure they know I am a Celiac. There are a few other options, steak, maybe a porkchop. I always get the pasta.

The buffalo wings in Evergreens have no gluten ingredients but are fried in the same oil as the onion rings. (But the wings on the buffet wing night are gluten free depending on the sauce they are tossed in. The chef will tell you which sauces are gluten free.)

The Express cafe has gluten free bread available. I don't know how they handle cross contamination but since it is all open you can watch how they prepare your food if you have concerns.

I have never seen any gluten free pastery there. They had creme brûlée for desert in Mangino's when I was there in April and again in May and August. Most creme brûlée is gluten free but I did not ask so I'm not sure if SOG's is.

Thanks so much for this information! I passed it along to my friend who will be staying at SOG with us and is concerned about food for her daughter for breakfast. I think for now she is going to bring some cereal or breakfast food options in their luggage so they have something. I mentioned about the breakfast food options not being so great. I didn't remember reading about the gluten free bread at Express cafe though...something they can look into when we are there.

Thanks so much for this information! I passed it along to my friend who will be staying at SOG with us and is concerned about food for her daughter for breakfast. I think for now she is going to bring some cereal or breakfast food options in their luggage so they have something. I mentioned about the breakfast food options not being so great. I didn't remember reading about the gluten free bread at Express cafe though...something they can look into when we are there.

The waffles were NOT good at SOG either. This is what we did: we packed gluten free breakfast bars, made muffins at home and packed those in our luggage and also brought our own bread from home (and yes we fly!). We had a grocery order delivered to the hotel including juice, coconut milk, sunbutter, jelly, water, bananas and apples etc. So we just grabbed a bar or muffin and a banana on our way to the bus or on our walk to the monorail. Worked for us. We ate most of our meals at Poly quick service or in the parks just because Disney does gluten free (and kid friendly gluten free) so well.

In SOG's defense, it's really hard to compete with Disney when it comes to accommodating allergies! I also packed food for breakfast (kind bars), and except for one night at Manginos and one night at the supper buffet, I ate in the parks.

In SOG's defense, it's really hard to compete with Disney when it comes to accommodating allergies! I also packed food for breakfast (kind bars), and except for one night at Manginos and one night at the supper buffet, I ate in the parks.

Very true! It is nice SOG tries! Does anyone know if SOG offers gluten free pizza at either Manginos or Evergreens?

I was there last in August. No gluten free pizza on the menu at Manginos. When I asked if the chicken wings were gluten free at Evergreen's, no one mentioned a GF pizza option. So I don't think so, but I never specifically asked.

Question... Does anyone happen to have the SoG front desk and bell services phone numbers programmed into their phones??? If so, could you PM them to me (not sure if they should be posted)??? I used to have them, and last Christmas my phone crashed hard and I lost everything... I will need to call the front desk before we arrive. Thanks! :lovestruc

D~

I have a number for SOG. 1-888-593-2242. You will get a menu to choose from. The reservation option will get you the main desk.

Anyone know what shades of green does for Halloween. We heard a while back that there may be some trick or treating. We're down there this year with our two young children. I was hoping it would be on this months newsletter but it only covered events until 10/21.

Could have sworn the signs said active duty only. I know the amount of people that can buy the alcohol there is much smaller then the list of people allowed to make a reservation for rooms there. My sponsor didn't fit in the category to buy alcohol.
Retired could buy alcohol, no problem--they did check Military ID

Interesting. Considering the sidewalk is about 20 feet away from the guardhouse, I'm not sure how much they can see from there on those little SOG cards. We've walked past there many times and I always wondered about why they check every vehicle but not pedestrians.
I was asked for ID almost every time I walked onto SoG from Poly. The guard would walk across street to check the ID. I'm sure if a car was at the guard shack that we'd just be able to keep walking, but we seemed to show up when there were no cars.

Could have sworn the signs said active duty only. I know the amount of people that can buy the alcohol there is much smaller then the list of people allowed to make a reservation for rooms there. My sponsor didn't fit in the category to buy alcohol.

Nope. No different than any base package store or exchange. DH is a retired USN reserve O-6. Anyone with a military ID can purchase, whether reserve, active or retired and spouse or of age dependent. There is no differentiation for retired. Not sure where you'd get that idea from. What was your sponsor's affiliation?

I have to ask after seeing the post above. We will have guests with us for our stay in March. Will they be allowed to purchase in the shoppette? This Spring at Hale Koa, they were given a pass and we're allowed to buy, even alcohol on their own by just showing their room key. Not sure both resorts are managed the same?

I have to ask after seeing the post above. We will have guests with us for our stay in March. Will they be allowed to purchase in the shoppette? This Spring at Hale Koa, they were given a pass and we're allowed to buy, even alcohol on their own by just showing their room key. Not sure both resorts are managed the same?

They will be able to eat and drink at the restaurant and the sports bar. They will be able to shop for everything except alcohol in the exchange without their sponsor. If their sponsor is with them in the exchange and shows an ID, they can buy alcohol too.

SOG is different than Hale Koa.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter