Single Guy at Disney in December?

ptmoberg

Earning My Ears
Hi All,

I'll admit that I am a "floater" on the DIS Boards, coming and going, reading and posting based on my schedule and current interests. I'm hoping that I can borrow a few moments of everyone's time to run something by you and to get your opinion.

As some of you might already be aware, I was to be married at Disney World in September 2004. Unfortunately, my bride-to-be changed her mind in April 2004 and she decided to exit my life. After several months of soul searching, I have decided to move on with the rest of my life. That includes keeping the Disney magic in my life.

That being said, I have a round-trip American Airlines plane ticket that I have to use between now and the end of the year. I also have vacation time scheduled from Dec 13-17, 2004. I was thinking about going to Disney for a few days to see the decorations/lights/parade/etc. My friends unfortunately can not get off of work to join me. I have a few concerns though:

1) With all the families at Disney, especially during the holidays, am I going to feel out of place by myself?

2) Any suggestions on what a single guy should do at Disney?

Any thoughts or suggestions would be deeply appreciated.

Thanks,

Paul

Paul - I'm so sorry for your loss. She turned down the opportunity to be married at WDW? :eek:

Anyway, I think you should use your airline ticket, go to WDW and have a magical time! Since you were planning to be married there, I assume you know your way around WDW. However . . .

1) I do not think you will feel out of place solo unless you go around looking unhappy. That will make people think "<I>Poor guy - He's all alone</I>." Just <I>smile</I>, be energetic and do the things you enjoy there. You'll appear to be a lot happier than those with screaming children and couples who can't agree on what to do. If you are really self-conscious about being solo during the holidays, let me know and I could probably hang out at the parks with you for awhile. I'm sure I'm much older than you, but my energy level is usually that of a 25 year old. Otherwise (and if you are a smoker, because I am not), you are bound to find others here on the DIS who would not mind you joining them!

2) What to do? Anything you enjoy there! Low budget: Visit all the WDW Resort hotels and DTD to check out the Christmas decorations and festivities. Medium budget: Park-hop, going at your own pace and doing every attraction that even remotely interests you. If you are into "Hidden Mickeys," do that. It will make you look busy even when solo. Watch all the parades and stage shows in the parks. Do counter service but budget for one special sit-down meal. If you like the night life, go to Pleasure Island. If you don't want to do the dance clubs, at least visit the Adventurer's Club. Solos are no problem there. High budget: Buy a ticket to MVMCP for the special Christmas party at MK. With your dates it would have to be the 16th. Also call for Priority Seating for a few sit-down restaurants. Act like a kid again (it is permitted at WDW!) and do a Character dining experience. At <I>Garden Grill</I> and <I>Liberty Tree Tavern</I> the characters will usually give extra attention to solos if you act interested. If you are into gourmet dining, try <I>California Grill</I> at the Contemporary or <I>Jiko</I> at AKL.

The important thing is to ENJOY YOURSELF and not worry about what others may think, because they are probably so wrapped up in their own "family problems" that they won't even notice you are solo. Always remember, WDW is the easiest place in the world to be HAPPY! :teeth:

My condolences on HER loss, buddy! But onwards and upwards for you.

I certainly hope you won't feel that way, since I'm a single guy and will be travelling by myself from Dec 12th-18th. And there's plenty of stuff to do. Lines are very short during this period, yet all the decorations and such are up. For myself, I enjoy solo trips because I don't feel like I have to DO everything (i.e. rides) or worry about someone else's schedule. I get to do everything I want, and if that means sitting on the beach or having a leisurely meal, so be it! A solo trip is a GREAT gift to yourself, so do yourself a favor and go through with it.

One other thing you can do for yourself, go to the spa and get a massage or splurge on a full treatment. If you've never had one, trust me, it's worth every penny and you'll wonder why you never had one before. You definitely deserve it after this year.

Going out at night is not a problem, even if you go out by yourself, odds are you'll end up meeting someone or some group. In August I was there solo for two days and the one night I went out to Jellyroll's by myself I was only alone for half an hour before another group of young people had me joining them at their table.

Feel free to PM if you have any questions or if ya wanna meet for a beer at some point. There's a great brew pub at the Boardwalk, or the beer is always good at Jellyrolls which is a blast and I plan on at least two trips to! :hyper:

Sorry to hear about your situation. I have the same story. Married at the World and now single again. I just took my first trip back with a group of friends. There were a couple difficult points for me on the trip and overall it wasn't as special for me as it has been. That said, I'd say go for it. I'm a Disney fan by myself and still can find some of that magic on my own. That helped me along and I found myself walking along with that silly grin enjoying just being there.

I plan to go back and may well do it solo. I'm a DVC member (bought with her but one thing I kept) so I have added incentive and a "home" to stay at!

Enjoy yourself and spoil yourself a time or two. A massage is a great idea. Grab a nice dinner somewhere. And grab a simple one too, I recommend the Rose and Crown with a brew or two!

go - have fun!!!

you definitely deserve it after this year.

She was crazy - forget her - I know easily to say hard to do.

go get tickets for MVMCP and then join the meet

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=622016

go look on the meet boards for other meets.

you are little late for the special discounts. Although it looked like
www.expedia.com
still have some of the special pricing at the WDW resorts.

I would go with a gym - so you can work out if you find you miss her. at all the deluxes you have access to one. the home away home (except FW) have one. of the moderates only CSR has one.
hope it works for you.

remember you have friends here - if you need to talk. I know only internet friends - but friends....

You'll have a blast--you can do what you want when you want to! I've gone solo three times now, and it's great. I usually try to meet up with some DISers while I'm there. I'm going solo myself Dec. 4-11 (whatever happened to all those discussions about all of us solos meeting down there).

Make some PS. I always notice other single folks dining (especially at the resort hotels), so I never feel uncomfortable. The wait staff are usually very chatty with me when I'm solo.

I never miss going to Jellyrolls alone. I sit in the back, and have a great time.

Have a great time, Paul, and don't forget to tell us all about it when you get back.

Karen

GO! Have a great time! One of the reasons DH and I go to Disney every year is because it is one of the few places I feel comfortable doing things/going everywhere solo. DH always spends at least one morning golfing and I look forward to my time alone, even though I rarely end up alone. I tend to find on my solo outings that CMs are chattier than when I'm with DH. May I suggest taking a backstage tour? There are several (Segway tour of WS at Epcot, horticulture tour at Epcot, Backstage Magic, Keys to the Kingdom...) to choose from and they're entertaining, informative and just plain fun.

I am actually thinking about going myself next december..i would say go and have a great time! Besides, you can always meet people there..and christmas seems like a great time to go ...
and as i like to say "forget about the exs and just have fun"..can ya tell ive had a mean ex boyfriend? lol...have a great time!!

Oh man! Sorry that happened to you! :( I say go and have fun. On my solo trip in 2001, I just smiled a lot and chatted it up with people - met some very nice folks. Had breakfast with a family that started chatting with me. Good conversations with a few cast mates, met people in line, etc. Plus yeah, you can always meet up with people here!! Go and have fun!:bounce: :bounce:

Welcome Paul!!! You have your DIS family now!

There are many singles going that time of year. Mousefest will just be over and plenty of us are hanging around longer. So you won't be alone!

This is the best time of year to visit. The resorts are decorated for the holidays and the lines are shorter.

However, be prepared for any kind of weather!

People are always willing to talk to you while waiting in line or sitting on benches.

Have a wonderful, wonderful trip! Enjoy as much as you can at your own pace!

CC

Her loss. Most women would LOVE to meet a guy who liked Disney. I think the love of Disney usually equals a lot of other good things as well, as Disney tends to attract very sweet, carefree and kind people.

I don't think you'll feel out of place at all. I have been to WDW solo several times and really enjoyed it.

I think you'd really have fun. Be sure to check out the Adventurer's Club on Pleasure Island. You always end up talking to people there. :)

Paul...
I just lost what I thought was a great relationship, so I somewhat understand... So sorry to hear about your loss. :( What a silly girl, giving up a Disney wedding with a guy who likes Disney! (not that that makes you feel your loss less)

Not to be "trolling" the boards, but I'd go meet ya for a day or two! Unless you're an axe murderer or something. ;)

betsy

First off, I appreciate the kind words that everyone has expressed as a result of my posting. The support and well wishes have far exceeded my expectations. Though I realize that the mixed emotions regarding my cancelled wedding will not subside overnight, the kindness of people I have just recently met has helped me to move on with the next chapter of the rest of my life.

That being said, I am still seriously thinking about going to Disney the week of December 13th (the week before Christmas). All this point, I am searching for the best deals possible (I have airfare taken care of, right now I am looking at rental cars and accomodations).

Thank you all again. For those of you that have mentioned that you will be in the area at that time, I will contact you once my plans are more concrete to see if you still want to meet.

Paul

http://www.allearsnet.com/news/hnews.htm#47

You could always use this for part of your stay if they still have rooms available :)

The WDW Swan and Dolphin offer special rates to AllEarsNet.com readers. From November 17-24 and December 17-26, you can stay in the heart of WDW with rates as low as $129/night!

Special holiday celebrations include Thanksgiving Dinners and Christmas Festivities!

To make your reservations call 888-828-8850 and ask for rate code EARPRO!
Don't wait -- Black out dates apply and rooms are limited to rate code availability.
Promotional rate does not include tax or resort fee.

After some serious consideration, I have decided to "take the plunge" and go!

I now have the part of travel that I despise, trying to find the best deal. Here are my current thoughts/ideas on that:

1) Airfare should be no problem, I have a non-refundable ticket on American Airlines that I don't plan on using for Christmas. I'm guessing there is going to be some sort of "change fee", but I would think it is cheaper than buying another ticket outright. I suppose it's time to call the airline and find out...

2) Accomodations - I was spoiled as a kid, having spent my time at Disney at the deluxe resorts. Now that I am planning a trip alone, I question the need for those type of accomodations. I also thought about renting points from a DVC member, but I'm having trouble justifying paying that as well. Since I think that staying off property will just be a hassle, I am thinking about staying at the value resorts, unless I can find a great deal at one of the moderates. Does anyone know what the best discounts are for Disney rooms are (from where?) these days? I do not have an annual pass and just let my AAA membership lapse (I'll renew it if it is worth it for Disney). Any suggestions would be appreciated. My philosphy is similar to my Vegas stand - why pay a lot for a room that you don't spend that much time in - unless you can get a great deal! Based on rates, that will decide how many days I am there between Dec 12 - Dec 18.

3) I assume I have to get MVMCP tickets in advance, but are there any other holiday events that I need to get tickets in advance?

4) What is the weather like at Disney in December?

5) I am definately in going to the "night life" places on Cast Member nights (Jellyrolls, Pleasure Island, etc). Does anyone know when these are? I've heard that Cast Member nights are a good time, but couldn't tell you why!?!

Thanks!,

Paul

Originally posted by ptmoberg
After some serious consideration, I have decided to "take the plunge" and go!

Good for you, Paul! Glad to hear it!

I now have the part of travel that I despise, trying to find the best deal. Here are my current thoughts/ideas on that:

1) Airfare should be no problem, I have a non-refundable ticket on American Airlines that I don't plan on using for Christmas. I'm guessing there is going to be some sort of "change fee", but I would think it is cheaper than buying another ticket outright. I suppose it's time to call the airline and find out...

2) Accomodations - I was spoiled as a kid, having spent my time at Disney at the deluxe resorts. Now that I am planning a trip alone, I question the need for those type of accomodations. I also thought about renting points from a DVC member, but I'm having trouble justifying paying that as well. Since I think that staying off property will just be a hassle, I am thinking about staying at the value resorts, unless I can find a great deal at one of the moderates. Does anyone know what the best discounts are for Disney rooms are (from where?) these days? I do not have an annual pass and just let my AAA membership lapse (I'll renew it if it is worth it for Disney). Any suggestions would be appreciated. My philosphy is similar to my Vegas stand - why pay a lot for a room that you don't spend that much time in - unless you can get a great deal! Based on rates, that will decide how many days I am there between Dec 12 - Dec 18.

See Esmerelda's earlier post about the deals at the Swan and Dolphin. Although they aren't offically 'Disney' hotels they are just as nice as the rest of the deluxe hotels and are right off of the lagoon for the Boardwalk area, which is my favorite place to stay. You can actually walk to Epcot and MGM from them, or take a ferry, and they have bus service to them as well.

3) I assume I have to get MVMCP tickets in advance, but are there any other holiday events that I need to get tickets in advance?

If you want priority seating to see the Candlelight processional, you can get a dinner package at any of the restaurants in Epcot. They're prepaid dinners, which is nice, and they have three tiers in pricing depending on where you want to eat. Otherwise PS for meals at certain places are the only thing I'd worry about. Or if you want to make a reservation for a spa treatment at SS or GF.

4) What is the weather like at Disney in December?

This one is a crapshoot, it can be anywhere from 80 degrees during the day down to the 40s, and can be in the 30s through the 60s at night, so you'll need to pack for all occasions. Just make sure you have a sweatshirt or sweater or two and a jacket.

5) I am definately in going to the "night life" places on Cast Member nights (Jellyrolls, Pleasure Island, etc). Does anyone know when these are? I've heard that Cast Member nights are a good time, but couldn't tell you why!?!

This is one of my favorite things to do, and I definitely plan on doing CM night at both places. CM night for Jellyroll's is on Tuesday, and for PI is on Thursday. The reason that it's a good time is that CMs get in for free to these places on both nights, so you end up with a whole lot of the younger crowd of cast members (and some of the older) out on these two nights, so that even though it's a slow time for the tourists, these places still end up hopping! Jellyroll's is one of my absolute favorite places, as is the Adventurer's club and the Comedy warehouse (though the Jazz club is my favorite for music at PI. Oh, and 8Traxx. And the Beach Party place. Okay, so I like pretty much everywhere except Mannequins.) :)

Feel free to ask any other questions or PM me about anything, I'll be there from the 12th-18th solo myself, so you may be going alone, but you won't be going alone going alone... (Was that reduntant?) :crazy:

Paul...
did you check www.mousesavers.com for rates? They have the rates, but then CRO can let you know of availability.

Wondering....and someone else can let me know maybe...or I can post on the resort board....if I go down there to play solo with other DIS'ers...(and now that there are at least 2 of you going, assuming crcormier is the one in the pic with Donald on his post)...and I'm there at about the same dates...can I help with the AP ressies?? I have an AP. (no, not looking to share a room with a stranger, but I think I can get up to 3 rooms).

MVMCP would be fun.

bets

What does assuming I'm the guy with Donald have to do with anything, Betsy? :) I've already got my reservations (I'm an AP holder too, but also a DVCer,) so I'm staying at POR 12,13 and BCV 14-17. Or are you looking for help on getting an AP ressie for yourself? Or Paul? I'm so confused.:confused:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter