Single Guy at Disney in December?

oops...that got worded weirdly. Sorry. Was just in a "the more the merrier" sort of mindset at the moment.

As for the APs...I have one, too....was wondering if Paul could coordinate with someone else with an AP to get a room discount, if you can get multiple rooms with each AP. Of course, if I were to offer, that would mean I'm definitely going to go play "solo but not alone" with you guys, and I really haven't decided. Just was hating for Paul to get sad down there.

cheers

I gotcha now! :) I'm willing to meet up at some point for some of my trip, but do plan on enjoying some solo time as well.

:) I'm going to miss most of you by a few weeks. I leave Dec 1.

Definately check mousesavers. There are codes there for everyone, not just AP holders. Or just call and ask if there are any codes.

As for moderates, I have always found POR to be almost as nice as the deluxes. It's just so scenic. :)

Sorry that we'll miss you, Esmeralda, but just make sure there's plenty of fun left over for us when your trip ends. :)

Hey Paul, just checking in to see how your plans are going...

Thanks for the follow-up. Currently I am weighing accomodation options (Disney vs. Swan vs. Renting DVC points). Once that is in place, I should be good to go. Dates I am thinking about are 12/13 - 12/18. I'll keep you posted.

Paul

I know you are looking at more expensive options, but I have to give a shout out to Solo'ing at Pop Century. The AP rate is around $50/night, and if you are going solo the rooms are way more than adequate. Unless you are going to be using a lot of the features at a deluxe resort, it's just not worth it for a place to sleep and shower. The pools are great, the atmosphere is really fun and upbeat, and the CM's were just about universally wonderful. The bus service at Pop is also excellent - unlike the other value resorts it has it's own bus line so it's a direct trip anywhere you go and the buses don't get so overfilled.

Save your money on the room and spend it on eating out at cool restaurants - I felt I got even BETTER than normal service doing sit-down solo dining at WDW. They really never flinched an eye at me being a party of one - in the more expensive places, it actually happens all the time.

Good luck!

N.E.D.

PS - Check out my solo report below from Pop Century last month

N.E.D.,

Thanks for your insight. At this point I am open to all types of accomodations, as I agree for this single guy the room is for nothing more than sleeping and showering. I'm just looking for the most economical option without giving up the Disney magic.

One idea that wanted to run by you. What does a annual pass run? Is it worth me buying one for my trip (I will likely be there 6 days/5 nights). It is unlikely that I will be back at Disney during the one year period it is good for after the December trip. If I buy the pass this soon to my trip (if I go, it is only 3 weeks away!), I assume I would get a voucher. Will this allow me to get the AP room rate? Would I need to activate the AP prior to checking into the hotel?

Thanks,

Paul

Paul...
2 friends of mine and I stayed at Pop for Halloween weekend. I actually liked it alot, considering I usually stay at the Poly!

As for the AP...you might need to do some math...the room discounts aren't as deep for the value resorts, so it may or may not be worth it (too early in the morning for me to do math right now). I do know that when I bought mine last year, it paid for itself with one visit to the Poly, 'cause the overall dollar value of the discount was good.

You can check in with your AP voucher...I didn't have a problem when I went the first trip before I activated it.

bets

Originally posted by EsmeraldaX
Her loss. Most women would LOVE to meet a guy who liked Disney.

Oh, Esmeralda, how I wish that were true. I would give anything to meet a woman who was on the same wavelength as me when it comes to Disney, but sometimes it feels like I never will.

I have a story similar to Paul's. In April 2004 I took my then fiancee Sally to WDW for what I thought would be a wonderful week together. I have loved Disney since my parents first took me to WDW when I was 4 and I wanted to share my love of Disney with the person I cared about the most.

Sally had never been to WDW before. She never seemed to "get it" when it comes to the love of Disney that all of us here on the DIS boards share. She referred to Disney as just "an amusement park," but I was totally confident that when she got there and we checked into our resort she would be immersed in the magic and it would all click and she'd be like a wide eyed child again taking it all in and would have a great time.

I fail to understand how someone could be in the middle of paradise and not enjoy it, but after two days Sally was homesick for rotten downtown Baltimore and the daily grind which she had said she couldn't wait to get away from only a few days before. In fact she was so bored being at Disney that I overheard her calling another male "friend" of hers and saying how terrible of a time she was having, and the "friend" offered to drive down and take her back to Baltimore the following day.

Not only could I not share the love of Disney with her, I felt betrayed that she had to secretly confide in another guy in the first place, let alone a guy who was not a longtime acquaintance of hers but someone who I knew had just recently started hanging around her at work, reportedly with less than platonic intentions. The "friend" did not end up coming down to pick her up because I ended up driving her to the airport that day and shipping the rest of her belongings back to her from a Pak Mail store.

Having the worst day of my life happen to me at WDW has not ruined the love of Disney for me but I am tired of never having anyone special to share it with.

Charlie

Paul, in this case, an AP may be a good deal for you even for that short of a trip IF you can get an AP rate. There are no longer general public codes available, so you would have to pay rack rate. I would call Disney directly and see if you can secure an AP rate for your trip, and if you can, go ahead and buy the AP. If you can not secure an AP rate and have to go at rack rate, get the park hopper. The breakeven point for an AP is about eight days.

Karen

Charlie, :hug: :hug:

I'm so sorry that happened to you. I can't imagine anyone not becomming immersed in the magic either. :(

Esmerelda...
I think these guys (Paul, Charlie) need to meet girls like us!! And vice versa!

Hope everyone is having a good day. :)

Sorry to Both Paul and Charlie... it seems my story is similar to Charlies... I adore WDW... have done for 10 years... and wanted my wife to come along for her first visit to understand why I kept mentioning Florida when we planned holidays.... we arranged.... well I said I needed a rest before a big project and I paid for a week for both of us to fly out... stay at a resort offsite and all spending... thinking... this is it... she will get a whiff of the disney magic... and will want to keep coming back every few years

It was at a couple of days in that reality kicked me in the butt....

First up... Florida is too FLAT..... well in her opinion... ok but is that really a problem....?

She also didnt like the fact to start with we didnt do alot of proper sit down meals in restaurants... this was made worse by the fact we was so far from disney and no restaurants near to us... so we made an effort to stay out OR go home then get changed and back out... so we did have nice meals in various places....

BUT then she just kept saying she didnt like it... didnt find it special.... thought the parks were OK.. ( ok its at this point I was tempted to boil my head ) and she thought going to parks everyother day was too much... she wanted a rest....... hmmmmmmmmmmm... beach holiday anyone

we then went to pacinos for a meal during the day and she got upset because she thought i didnt appreciate what she had done by coming out there with me... ( although I had been thanking her as it meant alot to me )

So the upshot is... She told me on the way back she would NEVER come out there again... didnt like it... thought it was just one big waste of money...........

So a few days later I said what about in x years... NO..... then i put int he classic... what if I went alone..... hmmm you can guess the answer

So now I have my dilema.... I cannot and will not never go back to disney... try stopping me walking upto the fountain in Epcot and feel that magic.... and she wont come back....not for all the tea in China...

And the upshot for me... I feel that the trip was a waste of money.... and I thought I would never ever say that about WDW.... I did enjoy it... but it was hard work.... and I am planning a solo trip... and when i have enough money saved ( ie double what i need ) i will offer her half the money... and ask her if she wants to come....

So I can understand a little of how charlie feels... and just wish my wife was like you ladies on here.... loving that disney vibe.... oh well ( lets go blast small world music really loud all day.... :cool1: )

wow, Steve...that's too bad. I hope you do get to 'escape' and have a solo trip now and then if she won't have any part of it.

hugs,
Betsy

Sorry guys, that really sucks. I'm not sure what I would do if I fell for a girl that didn't like Disney. (Not that I wouldn't be open to going other places, but Disney would obviously need to be a recurring destination appreciated by all parties involved... :love: )

Aren't there any more "meets"? Up until now I've been fortunate enough to go to Disney at the same time or partial time as someone else. But now I'm down here in the land of the lost where people only go to Disney while their kids are in school.

There is something that goes on here called 8 at 8. You sign up for a dinner reservation with 8 strangers. Seems to me something like that could work well here.

Esmeralda, thanks for the sympathy. :)

Betsy, I agree. I'd love to meet you in person and not just through the ethernet.

Steve, I really feel your pain. It's totally unfair of her to refuse to go with you ever again even if she doesn't like Disney. I'm sure you would go somewhere you didn't particularly like just to be with her. That's the situation I would have faced if Sally and I had stayed together. I would have never been able to share important parts of my life with her because once she decided something she was unwilling to budge on her position regardless of how it made me feel. It made me feel as if I was totally unimportant to her, when I would do anything for her and she couldn't even open her mind and try to have a good time for me. As far as Disney goes, I would have had to either go by myself all the time or find other friends to go with. To me, marriage is all about sharing, not about living together but going and doing everything separately. I guess it was a blessing in disguise that it happened before we actually got married, because it probably would have ended up in a divorce in the long run. If I were you I'd make plans to go to Disney by myself. If she had a problem with that I'd use it as a means to start a discussion on the one-sidedness of her position.
Charlie

doubletrouble_vb said:
Aren't there any more "meets"? Up until now I've been fortunate enough to go to Disney at the same time or partial time as someone else. But now I'm down here in the land of the lost where people only go to Disney while their kids are in school.

There is something that goes on here called 8 at 8. You sign up for a dinner reservation with 8 strangers. Seems to me something like that could work well here.

Sounds like fun!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter