Single Guy at Disney in December?

I totally understand, Paul.

I know how hard the holidays can be when you're emotional. I went through the same exact thing as you last year. I didn't want to do much of anything, let alone, try to have fun at WDW. So, I can see your point.

I'm sure that if Disney is important to you, which it sounds like it is, you'll go back...and you'll have a great time. You can share it with someone new that you care about or with a group of friends that mean a lot to you. Good luck! And, keep your chin up...things WILL get better. I know, I've been where u are!

Paul,

I think that you will find that once you do the solo vacation, you will find that it really isn't that bad and actually is really fun.

I know it might sound strange to some, but I personally love traveling solo which is more of a choice than a must. I can do what I want when I want, and If I want to do something different at the last minute I can.

Actually right now and you will see by my counter, I am trying to decide between a couple of vacation options and by traveling solo, I can decide where I want to go without having to get others involved.

Next time you have a chance, go for it because there isn't another place like Disney that can cheer up a person quicker.

Good luck,

Paul,

I can certainly relate to your not wanting to go during the holidays. Disney was a special place for my husband and I as well. DVC, cruises, etc. We had a terrific time there together. When we divorced this year, I was devastated and thought that I would NEVER want to go again.

I could never have been so wrong. Granted, it was hard, walking in DTD on the cool nights sipping Ghiradhellis certainly brought back memories. But a few friends taught me that I just needed to create new memories....and that's what I did. I went 6 times since our divorce last May and with each trip it got easier.

I know you don't want to hear about the light at the end of the tunnel....but, it's there, you just have to realize it. :D

So here's hoping from one Chicago Disney Lover to another....that you do take that trip soon!

Again, I appreciate the kind words. At this point in my life, the days seem to get easier as time goes by. Though I still have my occasional bad day, they seem to be less frequent these days.

Despite all that has happened in the last year, I will never lose sight for my love of Disney. I will make it back there, just it is unlikely that I will go by myself. I have always viewed vacations as a time to relax and enjoy the company of a person or people you care about, away from the stresses on everyday life. Disney is a place I love to share and I dobut I will ever view it otherwise. Though I applaud the singles out there that enjoy the magic solo, I believe it's unlikely that I will return until I have someone to go with.

Thanks again for checking up on me.

Regards,

Paul

You'd be surprised how liberating it is to go to WDW solo. I've done a few
trips solo, and many overlapping with people I know will be around.

I happened to be at WDW Dec 9-19, staying solo part of the time.
I "adopted" one of the RADP newsgroup posters during part of the trip
we were doing the MouseFest meets. :D She also was there as a
solo.

I agree that there are things that you want to share with others while you're
down there, but it really isn't a bad thing to do WDW solo. Really!

Things I've done during solo trips: The spa, theme park tours (Segway tour in Epcot in December...fun!), and random park and resort hopping.

I thought I'd share my experience on solo trip,

In October of 2001 my dad passed away, at the time my daughter was at WDW doing the college program, she came home by train for the funeral... having just lost my father I felt the need to spend time with my daughter so 2 days after the funeral I drove her back to Florida since she needed to return to work,,, I didn't know if I'd visit WDW while in Florida or not, after all I was majorly depressed and figured it would be a waste of time and money, plus I was never one to go anywhere solo..once in FL. I decided that I might regret being so close, yet not visiting WDW.. SO I forced myself to get out of bed, and go....just walking thru the gates, eased my pain, the pain didn't go away, and at times I felt sort of guilty being at WDW shortly after burying my Dad.

But on the other hand I knew that I needed to be away from the real world and it's painful realities, as the day went on I grew more comfortable with being solo, I talked with Cast members,,,eventually I ended up near the statue of Walt and Mickey, watching families have fun, and wishing I had the chance to take dad to WDW, to deal with my pain I decided to help make the Magic, so as families stopped to take pictures with the statue, I offered to take the picture for them so they could all be in it, within minutes there was a line of families and couples waiting to hand me their cameras so I could take their pictures...

that experience showed me that life would go on, that I could smile and feel good, although I realized it would take time...small steps...that's the only way to get thru the pain of loss..

you might want to give the solo trip a try, it's relaxing and you can do a lot of soul searching away from the harsh realities of the real world...

best of luck however you choose to move forward...

To Mickey88 . . .

Your Dad would be sooooo proud! And yes, I truly believe he would have wanted you to celebrate life by going to WDW. What a nice way to honor him and let his compassion for others continue to pour forth through you. You both sound like very special people. :earsgirl:

MICKEY88,

Thank you for your post.
I just lost my Mom on 1/1/05, after a year and a half long battle with Leukemia. I have 3 trips planned for WDW this year so far. I felt funny asking for the time off from work, thinking that most people would think it was too soon to be going on vacation. I see it as try to escape from the aftermath of it all. I know that life goes on, but sometimes the pain is just too much. I know that she would not want me to be unhappy and she knew how much WDW means to me. She know that I put all my energy into taking care of her and now I need to take care of myself.

Thanks again, it really has made me feel much better about my plans.

All my regards, Paula

MICKEY88 said:
I thought I'd share my experience on solo trip,

In October of 2001 my dad passed away, at the time my daughter was at WDW doing the college program, she came home by train for the funeral... having just lost my father I felt the need to spend time with my daughter so 2 days after the funeral I drove her back to Florida since she needed to return to work,,, I didn't know if I'd visit WDW while in Florida or not, after all I was majorly depressed and figured it would be a waste of time and money, plus I was never one to go anywhere solo..once in FL. I decided that I might regret being so close, yet not visiting WDW.. SO I forced myself to get out of bed, and go....just walking thru the gates, eased my pain, the pain didn't go away, and at times I felt sort of guilty being at WDW shortly after burying my Dad.

But on the other hand I knew that I needed to be away from the real world and it's painful realities, as the day went on I grew more comfortable with being solo, I talked with Cast members,,,eventually I ended up near the statue of Walt and Mickey, watching families have fun, and wishing I had the chance to take dad to WDW, to deal with my pain I decided to help make the Magic, so as families stopped to take pictures with the statue, I offered to take the picture for them so they could all be in it, within minutes there was a line of families and couples waiting to hand me their cameras so I could take their pictures...

that experience showed me that life would go on, that I could smile and feel good, although I realized it would take time...small steps...that's the only way to get thru the pain of loss..

you might want to give the solo trip a try, it's relaxing and you can do a lot of soul searching away from the harsh realities of the real world...

best of luck however you choose to move forward...

Paula, I lost my mom last January. When she got sick, I booked a flight to Florida for May. I needed something to look forward to, even if I never took that trip. I did wind up going down in May and had a wonderful time, although at times I was a bit sad because it brought back memories of my mom.

Don't feel bad about making the trips. Losing a parent is a very difficult thing, and you need something to look forward to.

Karen

Karen, I am sorry for your loss.

I knew it was going to be difficult, but I never anticipated the loss of purpose that I now feel. I had been living with her for the past 6 months doing most things for her. Now I just have so much time on my hands that I know that I need to get on with living and to me WDW is a great place to start.

Thanks, Paula

LUV4TINK said:
MICKEY88,

Thank you for your post.
I just lost my Mom on 1/1/05, after a year and a half long battle with Leukemia. I have 3 trips planned for WDW this year so far. I felt funny asking for the time off from work, thinking that most people would think it was too soon to be going on vacation. I see it as try to escape from the aftermath of it all. I know that life goes on, but sometimes the pain is just too much. I know that she would not want me to be unhappy and she knew how much WDW means to me. She know that I put all my energy into taking care of her and now I need to take care of myself.

Thanks again, it really has made me feel much better about my plans.

All my regards, Paula

don't worry about what other people think, we all grieve differently and at our own pace..you must do what's best for you.

I know that I certainly do not want my children to stop living the day that I die..

I hope they miss me, and hope I've taught them things that they will use to make the world a better place,,but I'd be very sad if they chose to put their lives on hold, rather than living them to the fullest..

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter