• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

So how does everyone else remain calm in the operating room?

Ugh well that didn't go very well lol.

The IV is where it went wrong.

I was sitting up on one of those electric carts that looks like a big chair when up all the way and then the legs can go up and the back and lay flat.

The nurse tried to put in the IV and she couldn't get it right and after moving it around a lot my vein collapsed.

So she was applying a lot of pressure to that area to minimize bruising while the anesthesiologist was flicking the heck out of my other hand.
Then she had to dig around a bit to get it in there right and as soon as she did I fainted.

As I was waking up from that they were saying how my BP went from 210/106 to 104/60 and my HR was only 47 so they gave me atropine.

Had the cart been in a laying position I probably would have been ok.

Because of the fainting they gave me a sedative as I was being wheeled into the OR and all I recall is that it seemed dim in there.
I don't like not recalling things so for me this was just a bad experience all the way around and I wish I had a do over lol.

Ugh well that didn't go very well lol.

The IV is where it went wrong.

I was sitting up on one of those electric carts that looks like a big chair when up all the way and then the legs can go up and the back and lay flat.

The nurse tried to put in the IV and she couldn't get it right and after moving it around a lot my vein collapsed.

So she was applying a lot of pressure to that area to minimize bruising while the anesthesiologist was flicking the heck out of my other hand.
Then she had to dig around a bit to get it in there right and as soon as she did I fainted.

As I was waking up from that they were saying how my BP went from 210/106 to 104/60 and my HR was only 47 so they gave me atropine.

Had the cart been in a laying position I probably would have been ok.

Because of the fainting they gave me a sedative as I was being wheeled into the OR and all I recall is that it seemed dim in there.
I don't like not recalling things so for me this was just a bad experience all the way around and I wish I had a do over lol.
I am so sorry.

My mom was a "hard stick." It was an ordeal every time she had to be admitted, which was a lot.

I'm sorry. :hug: I hate it when they can't get the IV in, that is the worst!

The good thing is it is all in the rear view now.

My DH had major surgery on his eye.
They decided it was a good idea to let him sit, alone, back there after being prepped, FOR OVER TWO HOURS, while they did other 'more important' surgeries. Totally ignoring both of us the whole time....
It was the end of the afternoon, and he had not eaten since the day before.

I saw many people who had been taken in after him, come wheeled back out and go home... two hours later, no word from anyone.
I am the one who went OFF when somebody did finally come out to update me, after DH finally managed to flag somebody down and tell them they need to go out and update his wife.
I think he was the last patient out of there that day.
I was LIVID.
He managed to remain more calm than I did.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter