Solo: A Star Wars Story

Status
Not open for further replies.
Luke Skywalker raised his lightsaber out of fear and tried to kill his nephew.

Luke Skywalker. The man who hid under the stairs of the throne room and told Darth Vader “I will not fight you”. He only fought Vader when his sister was threatened. That man decided to kill his nephew because his nephew was checking out the dark side?

A New Hope: “The princess she’s here! We’ve gotta do something, we’ve gotta help her.”

Empire Strikes Back: “I cant get the vision out of my head, they’re my friends I have to help them”

Return of the Jedi: “there is still good in you. The emporer hasn’t driven it from you fully”

The Last Jedi: “you don’t need Luke Skywalker. You think I came to the most unfindable place in the galaxy for no reason at all? Go away.”
I understand. I wasn't comparing to the original trilogy though I was comparing to the disgust of the prequels.

I also believe the new trilogy is looking at moving on from the original cast and killing them off is part of that. Obviously Carrie Fisher's death throws a wrench into those plans.

“you don’t need Luke Skywalker. You think I came to the most unfindable place in the galaxy for no reason at all? Go away.”

I wish that was Mark on the phone with Rian before filming. At least the assassination would have been avoided.

I also believe the new trilogy is looking at moving on from the original cast and killing them off is part of that. Obviously Carrie Fisher's death throws a wrench into those plans.

"Threw" a wrench in those plans.

So since she was already gone, maybe not have Luke disappear at the end, at least not quite yet anyway. Plenty of time to kill him in IX.

"Threw" a wrench in those plans.

So since she was already gone, maybe not have Luke disappear at the end, at least not quite yet anyway. Plenty of time to kill him in IX.
I thought Last Jedi has several moment that would have been great send offs of Leia.

I thought Last Jedi has several moment that would have been great send offs of Leia.

Totally agree, send her off in the floating space scene, or have her be the one to hyperspace instead of Holdo, and then simply cut away as Luke watches the suns set.

Totally agree, send her off in the floating space scene, or have her be the one to hyperspace instead of Holdo, and then simply cut away as Luke watches the suns set.
In a universe full of droids capable of piloting anything, anyone being on the ship as it jumps to hyperspace was just another Johnson moment. That being said, I liked Holdo's character and would rather she have switched places with Leia. But yeah, Superwoman Leia would also have been a good ending spot

In a universe full of droids capable of piloting anything, anyone being on the ship as it jumps to hyperspace was just another Johnson moment. That being said, I liked Holdo's character and would rather she have switched places with Leia. But yeah, Superwoman Leia would also have been a good ending spot

Clearly the pilot should have been Akbar because

What is it?

It’s

a

Trap!!!!!

The robe thing was a joke, hence my ;), however I do think the white/black/grey colors are a message to the audience, but they have no real significance in-universe.
From a costuming and design perspective, you’re exactly right. There was a great deal of thought that went into the symbolism and details. I recall going to the Magic of Myth exhibit at the Smithsonian in 1999 where they had the movie costumes and props on display - one of them included Luke’s outfits and talked about the white - neutral/earth tone - black progression through the OT (including the triangle flap that’s revealed on his black outfit to show it’s white underneath). Fascinating stuff. In universe? Yeah - not such a big deal.

Speaking of which - I wish there was a permanent exhibit of some of those items (other than the traveling exhibit). I must’ve stood in front of the case of Boba Fett’s movie-worn suit for a solid 20 minutes.

So the reviews so far have been half and half.

Most agree it’s an alright movie though. With some really liking it. None really say it’s terrible, which is good.

Which means I’ll probably actually end up enjoying it cause I hated last Jedi and those reviews were amazing

Looking back at the original trilogy, Leia didn't always get the best treatment
Interesting. I'd say she did pretty well. She had the most backbone of the three, the most morality, she held her own in verbal sparring. She kills Jabba, she plays Han at times. Would you rather have been Alderaanian royalty or a Tatooine moisture farmer? Other than not getting Jedi training, which she was too busy leading the rebellion to take, she did darn well. I personally think Leia was the most admirable of the three main heroes. Certainly no wallflower or helpless princess, she controls the narrative of her own rescue. Other than the gold bikini scene, which was her own fault for getting caught just like Luke's battle with the rancor was his own fault, I think she gets treated really well in terms of characterization, attitude, screen time, and heroics.

A New Hope: “The princess she’s here! We’ve gotta do something, we’ve gotta help her.”
19 years old

Empire Strikes Back: “I cant get the vision out of my head, they’re my friends I have to help them”
22 years old

Return of the Jedi: “there is still good in you. The emporer hasn’t driven it from you fully”
23 years old

The Last Jedi: “you don’t need Luke Skywalker. You think I came to the most unfindable place in the galaxy for no reason at all? Go away.”
53 years old

A lot can happen to a man in 30 years of adulthood, even one who was once so full of "hope".

Interesting. I'd say she did pretty well. She had the most backbone of the three, the most morality, she held her own in verbal sparring. She kills Jabba, she plays Han at times. Would you rather have been Alderaanian royalty or a Tatooine moisture farmer? Other than not getting Jedi training, which she was too busy leading the rebellion to take, she did darn well. I personally think Leia was the most admirable of the three main heroes. Certainly no wallflower or helpless princess, she controls the narrative of her own rescue. Other than the gold bikini scene, which was her own fault for getting caught just like Luke's battle with the rancor was his own fault, I think she gets treated really well in terms of characterization, attitude, screen time, and heroics.

Oh, I think she is the most admirable as well and why I think she holds such a special place in the hearts of fans. But in the first she is the one giving out the medals vs getting credit, Han borderline assaults her/pressures her in a confined space, of course they stick he in a that gold bikini you refer to .... it is probably just looking back with a 2018 mindset but a lot of not so pro-woman things happened to her

... or maybe it is more the guys did a bunch of sort of jerky things (how Han would treat her at times, Han and Luke competing for her affection, etc.)

Oh, I think she is the most admirable as well and why I think she holds such a special place in the hearts of fans. But in the first she is the one giving out the medals vs getting credit, Han borderline assaults her/pressures her in a confined space, of course they stick he in a that gold bikini you refer to .... it is probably just looking back with a 2018 mindset but a lot of not so pro-woman things happened to her

... or maybe it is more the guys did a bunch of sort of jerky things (how Han would treat her at times, Han and Luke competing for her affection, etc.)

The medals were for the two that destroyed the Death Star. Han shooting the Ties and Luke making the game winning shot. They weren't for bringing R2 to the base. As a leader of the rebellion, it'd be like the President giving himself a medal for the end of a war instead of the guys that took the shots. Bad optics.

Yeah, Han is pushy and that scene is probably not being made today. But Leia is pretty push right back and certainly snaps verbally back at him frequently. Even the "I love you -- I know" sequence is done in both directions. Let alone calling him names and kissing Luke just to tick Han off. Yeah, the gold bikini thing is the one I really agree with you on. But if you want to demean a female prisoner, that's in line with what Jabba would do. But she came in as a warrior with a thermal detonator and threatens Jabba and then she is the one who kills him. I think she gets her revenge for becoming the adolescent fantasy of a lot of boys in the mid 80s.

non-spoiler video review of Solo:

I like the reviewer's comment about the more you are invested in Star Wars, the more you're going to get out of Solo.

Since I saw A New Hope as a teenager, I became heavily invested; imagine the excitement I had when my friend's father purchased the tie fighter attack scene on the Falcon as a black and white 8MM film!

I am concerned about the saturation limit(s) of folks like me that see these splinter films as potentially diluting.

A lot can happen to a man in 30 years of adulthood, even one who was once so full of "hope".

Absolutely, by then why make a movie about it. Why make 1/3 of a trilogy about finding that person?

Flash forward 40 years from now. Seriously-Forty Years.

Rian makes part 2 of Harry Potter.

Voldemort's brother or whatever is terrorizing the earth. The entire first movie is dedicating to finding Harry Potter. The young cast had heard of his stories but never really knew if they were true etc. But they run into Hermione who confirms everything and knows how to find him.

Final scene is Harry Standing there. Like FA the crowd cheers and can't wait for the 2nd movie.

Next movie, She hands him the Elder Wand which was somehow recovered and fused to be even more powerful, esp if wielded by it's owner Harry.

He tosses and say good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter