• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Solo: A Star Wars Story

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only criticism I have for Solo (before watching it) is that it is just too soon.

I thought movie execs were smarter than this. Seems odd to have it come out weeks after Avengers and only 6 months after the Last Jedi. Now there will be a year and a half gap of Star Wars movies. - Granted the opening of Star Wars Land (and all its promotions) will help promote the franchise during this downtime, but it still seems odd they felt the need to release a movie so quickly after the Last Jedi (especially one that is a standalone story).

The Star Wars branch of Disney seems to be over-Cautious. Rather than going out and expanding the Universe/Galaxy by making entirely new content they seem to be content with riding the coattails of the previous films. That is okay I suppose if they are mostly seen as treating the old characters favorably or at least keeping them consistent with past movies. This has not been the case. At a time when the Star Wars universe should be expanding it seems to be contracting.

Just my opinion but I think Disney should clean house at Lucasfilms then walk over to Marvel Studios and say "Hey, anyone over here wanna work on Star Wars" Right now I am more likely to take the kids to see Infinity Wars again then to go see Solo. I can't wait to throw money at the Antman and the Wasp and Captain Marvel, and I am counting the days until the next Avengers. Solo? Star Wars 9? Pffffffffffftttttttttt zero interest.

If you are looking for entirely new SW content, you should try Star Wars Rebels (and probably Resistance later this year). Those have been some of my favorite Star Wars stories: they are doing great work on the animated side of things.

I'll admit I was skeptical of Solo for all its production troubles, but now that it's here I'm pretty darn excited. It will be the first SW movie my girls see in the theater, should be fun for them to see a big opening night showing.

The only criticism I have for Solo (before watching it) is that it is just too soon.

I thought movie execs were smarter than this. Seems odd to have it come out weeks after Avengers and only 6 months after the Last Jedi. Now there will be a year and a half gap of Star Wars movies. - Granted the opening of Star Wars Land (and all its promotions) will help promote the franchise during this downtime, but it still seems odd they felt the need to release a movie so quickly after the Last Jedi (especially one that is a standalone story).
I wonde though if part of that was in case this movie didn't do well it could be passed over quickly and moved onto the episode 9. This will now be the biggest gap between star wars films which could actually help the popularity and publicity since there is more time between films.

I think it's ok to express an opinion on a movie. Telling people they shouldn't is just absurd to me. But to each their own I guess.

Sure, but just like ... ignore it and move on? I didn't even like The Last Jedi, but it didn't destroy my psyche. I didn't like the prequels either, but they didn't RUIN DARTH VADER for me.

I just can't imagine still needing to be upset online about this movie half a year later ... or upset at all. Walk out of the movie, go "oh, I didn't like that" and just move on. But again, to each their own!

But people criticized The Last Jedi because of the changes it made - for explicitly not playing it safe

Seems like if they take chances people complain, and if they go back to old favorites people complain

But they did play it safe. They kept a bunch of the old characters to get people into the theatres but then made changes to those characters. If they wanted to breath some fresh air into the Star Wars Universe why not start with something fresh?

If people don't like the ending that was written for Luke, or any of these characters, they can just go back and imagine whatever they dreamed up after ROTJ was over.

ROTJ? How about what was dreamt up after FA was over?

Ya know, the one where they spent the entire movie looking for him through his clues, then ending with him, and a cheering 2 minute rotation shot of the Jedi Master and Savior.

Pitching a fit and crying "character assassination" when someone's story doesn't turn out as YOU want it to is just absolutely absurd to me.

Thing is, most everybody admits it is indeed character assassination.

Whether they say "don't like what was written for the character" or "people change", its still an admission.

Now if somebody wants to say not accepting character assassination is absurd, well then that's an opinion and one that says nothing should be said about it-even on a discussion board.

Last edited:
But they did play it safe. They kept a bunch of the old characters to get people into the theatres but then made changes to those characters. If they wanted to breath some fresh air into the Star Wars Universe why not start with something fresh?
IMO I think that is where they want to go in the future. This trilogy is to end the original and give the characters we love a send off. Then after episode 9 we will get those new characters and stories outside the main films.

IMO I think that is where they want to go in the future. This trilogy is to end the original and give the characters we love a send off. Then after episode 9 we will get those new characters and stories outside the main films.

Sure I agree with that. The question Disney bigwigs should be asking themselves is: Will the Star Wars fan base be larger or smaller(compared to just before the release of TFA) when we move on to entirely new content?

Sure I agree with that. The question Disney bigwigs should be asking themselves is: Will the Star Wars fan base be larger or smaller(compared to just before the release of TFA) when we move on to entirely new content?
If anything I think it is more of a wash. You have a new generation that didn't grow up with the originals or prequels that is now growing up with these films.

I don't. Character assassination is when a character acts completely out-of-bounds for what was previously established. I've already said that I've seen dark streaks in Luke and I totally give him credit for not going through with murdering Ben. He had a moment of weakness. Why is that so unforgivable? I might agree with you if he had gone through with it, but he didn't. He found his strength. Luke has always been presented as a flawed Jedi, so I just don't understand the fuss.

The only Superhero movies I’ve seen was Spiderman from like 15 years ago and the Batman movies (the 90’s and the dark knight trilogy). And I watched Super Hero Movie (the spoof, like Scary Movie and Date Movie and Disaster Movie... I love those)

Anyway I don’t watch them but I know they are Huge. I think Disney made a mistake tackling 7-9. They should have made the Star Wars universe like the Justice League where you have Superman and Batman and The Flash and Aquaman and Green Lantern and Iron Man and The Hulk all working together and then there’s all those offshoot movies about one character (Captain America or Iron Man)

They could’ve invented 15 new Jedi on a “Jedi Council” and have offshoot movies for all 15. They would be Jedi we’ve never heard of, but that would give Disney the license to make one of these guys gay, rather than rewriting Lando to be gay.

It would have been so much better.

If Lando is gay is Liea really a man? Will she reveal that fact to Han on Jerry Springer?

Whether they say "don't like what was written for the character" or "people change", its still an admission.

Uh, no? Both of those statements are categorically false.

Was what happened to Han "character assassination"? He went from caring about nothing but himself to being jealous of Luke and Leia to developing deep ties with the Rebellion. That's a pretty big 180 for his character to take from the first time we see him. Did Lucas assassinate his character?

Again, I doubt somebody/anybody on here thinks doing the same thing to Daniel Radcliffe's Harry Potter character 40 years from now would be a good story.

Spend Episode 12 searching for him, a trail he himself left if ever needed, find him at the end.

Start Episode 13 with him tossing the found Elder Wand, and not helping because "he's changed".

Even Avengers didn't spend the entire last movie searching for a particular "Last Avenger" to help. And just think if there was only one and they said forget it.

But do we think a 5 second post credit blip will lead to someone who says "nah not interested"?

But he DID help. He helped them and paid for it with his life.

Just not in the way people want, apparently, which means it didn't happen.

But he DID help. Just not in the way people want, apparently.

How? What really was accomplished, esp as the rebels died off in space during his contemplation.

How? What really was accomplished, esp as the rebels died off in space during his contemplation.

The Resistance would have been 100% wiped out had he not shown up and given them time to escape. They were backed into a corner and staring down a fleet of walkers.

The Resistance would have been 100% wiped out had he not shown up and given them time to escape. They were backed into a corner and staring down a fleet of walkers.

False. They could have went out the back (like they did), although Rey had to magically lift the boulders for them to actually escape.

A 5 min fake fight is all he gave? Weak.

His inaction led to 90% of the Resistance being wiped out, including his sister if she hadn't turned into Mary Poppins ya all.

I don't have time to continue discussing this with people would rather be ANGRY ONLINE than just move on with their lives over something that was apparently so soul-crushing.

Peace.

Heck I'll take it one further.

Leave Luke on the Island contemplating his future.

Have Leia (who they know is dead b4 TLD is released) be the one to walk out and have Kylo stop everything for a few moments.

They all escape (thanks to Rey) out the back.

Kylo saves face with his peers and kills Leia.

All of us are horrified, but it's not even close to what Luke (and Rey) is now going to do in IX after he hears the news.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter