Solo: A Star Wars Story

Status
Not open for further replies.
i will say that in solo the L3 droids political commentary was so heavy handed. And I wasn’t against the message at all but honestly there was no nuance to it. It was so in your face and obvious. Much like the rose storyline in TLJ, they could’ve done with some crafty way to message it then making it the most obvious thing in the world

I agree - I think it if was just one or too comments it would have been one thing (I must admit I laughed when when Lando asks her if she wants anything and she says "equal rights") but it was a bit heavy handed as you say. Any political commentary was definitely more implied as opposed to smacking you in the face in the original trilogy)

So much better.

Mine would have been Leia walks out to buy time as the rest escape.

Ben says take me down there, they have some kind of Han moment but he still light sabers her. The audience is just pissed.

They blast the door, find everyone gone and take after them.

Luke arrives too late with the X Wing, they have a moment before she dies.

Now we have an OMG GOT type set up for IX.

Not a boy and girl skipping away hand in hand, him with a blue light saber, and her with a now reworked PINK light saber.

i could see that working as well, though I think they wanted to avoid Kylo killing Leia as part of his development was that killing his father didn't bring him closer to the dark side like he thought it would and is why he was hesitant to pull the trigger when he sensed Leia on the bridge of the ship

i could see that working as well, though I think they wanted to avoid Kylo killing Leia as part of his development was that killing his father didn't bring him closer to the dark side like he thought it would and is why he was hesitant to pull the trigger when he sensed Leia on the bridge of the ship

Yea I can see that (and admit I have too much GOT Revenge type stories to keep me interested) but I also had originally thought Kylo "had" to kill someone he loved to become a Sith Lord. Then the long end game was to get the power to kill Snoke, something along that line. But he already did that like a piece of cake, so I guess I was going all in on him being a total bad a$$, maybe hesitate one time on the bridge, but not out in front of his peers, esp after he killed Snoke and is now on top.

Now as you point out, we have no true villain. He's not closer to the dark side, he can't even kill his mommy. What kind of bad guy are we to be scared of at this point? Not even a scary mask or voice.

Yea I can see that (and admit I have too much GOT Revenge type stories to keep me interested) but I also had originally thought Kylo "had" to kill someone he loved to become a Sith Lord. Then the long end game was to get the power to kill Snoke, something along that line. But he already did that like a piece of cake, so I guess I was going all in on him being a total bad a$$, maybe hesitate one time on the bridge, but not out in front of his peers, esp after he killed Snoke and is now on top.

Now as you point out, we have no true villain. He's not closer to the dark side, he can't even kill his mommy. What kind of bad guy are we to be scared of at this point? Not even a scary mask or voice.

Well, I know you have to kill to convert a kyper crystal to being red to use for a rid/sith lightsaber, but sure about it having to be someone you love or anything ... I understood he just thought killing his father would provide less attachment from those he loved and allow him to be consumed by the dark side rather than still having that pull towards his past - but it didn't work

I think they are setting up Kylo to be the big bad guy, but one whose goal (of forming a new empire that brings order to the universe but not through fear, etc. like Palpatine tried) you can sort of understand - make him more relatable ... similar to what they have done with Killmonger and Thanos - don't agree with their methods but you can sort of understand what they are trying to do and why

Saw it Saturday night.

Really enjoyed it. It was solid/fun movie.

Not as good as TLJ and Rogue One, but a solid 7.5/10 for me.

Star Wars rankings for me are now:

1) Empire Strikes Back
2) The Last Jedi
3) Star Wars
4) Rogue One
5) Force Awakens
6) Solo
7) Return of the Jedi
8)Revenge of the Sith
9) Phanton Menace
10) Attack of the Clones

The expansion areas are different but I believe both have room for expansion.

Agreed. In looking at the aerials, it appears that DL is more restricted. But, I can definitely see the area behind WDW's SW hotel (presumed/confirmed location) as a prime expansion area.

Agreed. In looking at the aerials, it appears that DL is more restricted. But, I can definitely see the area behind WDW's SW hotel (presumed/confirmed location) as a prime expansion area.
Actually for the DHS land the expansion plots are really the berms themselves. They wouldn’t expand the land behind the hotel. Also this topic is for another thread.

Saw it Saturday night.

Really enjoyed it. It was solid/fun movie.

Not as good as TLJ and Rogue One, but a solid 7.5/10 for me.

Star Wars rankings for me are now:

1) Empire Strikes Back
2) The Last Jedi
3) Star Wars
4) Rogue One
5) Force Awakens
6) Solo
7) Return of the Jedi
8)Revenge of the Sith
9) Phanton Menace
10) Attack of the Clones

I am pretty similar, though for me, 2-5 are all pretty close and I change my mind on exact order depending on the day. To me the high points of TLJ are very high, but there are also a lot of low points so the unevenness I think it pushes it down a bit - so move that behind Force Awakens for me (which is just more even to me). Also I would flip flip Jedi and Sith (again, they are close to me, and both a large gap ahead of Menace and Clones)

I think Empire would hold up pretty well today I don’t think ROTJ would though.
If Empire was made today Yoda would tell Luke “The Force is female” and to get off his planet.

If Empire were made today Han would’ve been frozen in carbonite and Leia would’ve grabbed Vader’s lightsaber using the Force (without any training). Then Leia would’ve killed every storm trooper in the carbon freezing chamber and saved Han and Chewie.

If Empire were made today when Han and Leia are flirting when they’re fixing the Falcon in the asteroid and Han kissed Leia then Leia would've slapped him and yelled “Me Too!”

i will say that in solo the L3 droids political commentary was so heavy handed. And I wasn’t against the message at all but honestly there was no nuance to it. It was so in your face and obvious. Much like the rose storyline in TLJ, they could’ve done with some crafty way to message it then making it the most obvious thing in the world

I agree - I think it if was just one or too comments it would have been one thing (I must admit I laughed when when Lando asks her if she wants anything and she says "equal rights") but it was a bit heavy handed as you say. Any political commentary was definitely more implied as opposed to smacking you in the face in the original trilogy)

See, I personally took it as tongue-in-cheek...not seriously at all. Maybe that makes me a bad person?

If Empire was made today Yoda would tell Luke “The Force is female” and to get off his planet.

If Empire were made today Han would’ve been frozen in carbonite and Leia would’ve grabbed Vader’s lightsaber using the Force (without any training). Then Leia would’ve killed every storm trooper in the carbon freezing chamber and saved Han and Chewie.
Lol well that came out of nowhere.

If Empire were made today when Han and Leia are flirting when they’re fixing the Falcon in the asteroid and Han kissed Leia then Leia would've slapped him and yelled “Me Too!”
Ok we don’t need to go there please.

I don’t necessarily know if MCU is a fair comparison. It’s a much newer franchise and there are tons of individual stories there that tie into the bigger Avengers movies. They also have the comics to base things off of.

Star Wars is a series mostly using the same characters based around the Jedi and the force. I almost think Star Wars works better with the same director doing all three rather than each having a different director.
That is part of the problem...thinking everything in SW revolves around the Jedi and the Force.

My son just mentioned this as we were leaving Solo.

See, I personally took it as tongue-in-cheek...not seriously at all. Maybe that makes me a bad person?
i don’t think it was tongue in cheek but it was definitely a bit much. Though I have said for a while that the idea of droids being essentially slaves with sentient being is weird and kinda messed up

I loved the Maul cameo but why did he have to ignite his light saber? That felt so forced to me, I know they needed to say "THIS IS DARTH MAUL" for those who didn't really understand but come on. If you're gonna have him light it up have him use it. Kill some random dude who betrayed his syndicate or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter