Solo: A Star Wars Story

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can't you make that argument about almost all the SW battles??? It's 4 dimensions, but they always seems to treat the space battles as two dimensional.

I might say it's three dimensions, ;) but I agree. Sometimes with stuff like that you just have to go with it being "Star Wars Physics." One item of note is that in the SW galaxy you can't just always go into/out of hyperspace anywhere you want to. There are specific routes to take, and that sometimes requires jumping from one place to another, then jumping again. It's just to maintain safety and also traffic flow. I'm not sure that the movie presented this aspect all that well, but in the end I can just accept it as a typical sci-fi trope.

I might say it's three dimensions, ;) but I agree. Sometimes with stuff like that you just have to go with it being "Star Wars Physics." One item of note is that in the SW galaxy you can't just always go into/out of hyperspace anywhere you want to. There are specific routes to take, and that sometimes requires jumping from one place to another, then jumping again. It's just to maintain safety and also traffic flow. I'm not sure that the movie presented this aspect all that well, but in the end I can just accept it as a typical sci-fi trope.
Yeah I remember people were complaining that the resistance “dropped” bombs in a vacuum and I was like you know this is a sci fi film that has magical space wizards and giant battle stations of death right? This isn’t a Stephen hawking doc, it’s a space opera

Yeah I remember people were complaining that the resistance “dropped” bombs in a vacuum and I was like you know this is a sci fi film that has magical space wizards and giant battle stations of death right? This isn’t a Stephen hawking doc, it’s a space opera

yeah, technically Star Wars isn't even Sci-Fi - it's fantasy ... big difference between it and Star Trek

Fat fingers. Yes. 3 Dimensions!

Suspend belief before going in. It's entertainment. You'll have more fun!

I would be more interested in a Bobba Fett back story than episode IX at this point. However I'm afraid with SOLO not fairing so well that may not happen.

If the movie had not been so poorly written and directed than we probably would be more likely to overlook the Road Runner and Coyote physics. Though come to think of it those salt speeders king of remind me of Wil-e-Coyote on rocket skates. Salt Speeders by Acme!

I would be more interested in a Bobba Fett back story than episode IX at this point. However I'm afraid with SOLO not fairing so well that may not happen.

Probably my favorite side character, I would have liked to have seen more of him on the big screen, but the current creative minds at LucasFilms probably would have had him die like a chump..... oh wait.....

I haven't seen Solo yet because I was traveling.

But I personally hated TFA, seemed like a complete and utter rehash of A New Hope, with much worse characters, worse story and worse physics. I almost didn't go to TLJ because of how much I hated TFA. But I also hate all the easter eggs, and stuff "for the fans." IMHO, if you want to do something for the fans, stick to the canon and make a compelling movie. I don't need blue milk and the villain wearing a mask to know I am watching a Star Wars movie.

Not that I thought TLJ was a great movie, but I am at least glad it was something a little more fresh. I also didn't mind Luke being a jaded old man. Personally, I think if the galaxy fall right back into a completely fascist system in just 30 years, maybe they have it coming (or don't care), that would make anyone jaded. But I still wish they would've started the new trilogy much closer in time to Return of the Jedi, instead of trying to just redo the original trilogy while telling us it was something new.

Now, I'll get flamed for this, but personally I think The Phantom Menace was significantly better than either TFA or TLJ. Yeah the acting, directing and CGI were sub-par, but at least it had a good, interesting and important story line. Really, all the pre-quals had pretty good story lines, they were just saddled with terrible directing and overuse of CGI.

I wasn't excited about Solo, I didn't think it was a story that needed to be told, but I am planning on watching it with an open mind. The first half of the preview got me excited, the second half pretty much below that excitement away though.

Not that I thought TLJ was a great movie, but I am at least glad it was something a little more fresh. I also didn't mind Luke being a jaded old man. Personally, I think if the galaxy fall right back into a completely fascist system in just 30 years, maybe they have it coming (or don't care), that would make anyone jaded. But I still wish they would've started the new trilogy much closer in time to Return of the Jedi, instead of trying to just redo the original trilogy while telling us it was something new.

I just don't understand the First Order. It's entirely unclear how much power they have, how they got that power, what their goal is, why they can or can't do certain things, etc. It's unclear in TFA, it's unclear in TLJ, and it seems different in both, making it even more confusing. It's hard to care about the power struggle between Hux and Kylo, for example, when I don't even know how widespread the First Order's influence goes or what their goal is. They seem like bad guys for the sake of having bad guys, and I can't figure out what the protagonists want/need to do to oppose the villains if I don't understand the villains at least a little bit to begin with.

In Solo, I like that the villain motivation is clear, even if it is mostly based on just greed. We understand what the antagonists want, we know how much power they have currently and how much they want to get, we understand why the protagonists are against them - it all makes sense. Yes, they add in a few extra layers that give some intrigue and depth to them, which is good, but it's still pretty clear what sort of power the villains have and what they're after. It makes the plot much cleaner and easier to follow. Instead of trying to puzzle out what undisclosed motivations everyone has, I can just sit back and enjoy the actual story.

I just don't understand the First Order. It's entirely unclear how much power they have, how they got that power, what their goal is, why they can or can't do certain things, etc. It's unclear in TFA, it's unclear in TLJ, and it seems different in both, making it even more confusing. It's hard to care about the power struggle between Hux and Kylo, for example, when I don't even know how widespread the First Order's influence goes or what their goal is. They seem like bad guys for the sake of having bad guys, and I can't figure out what the protagonists want/need to do to oppose the villains if I don't understand the villains at least a little bit to begin with.

In Solo, I like that the villain motivation is clear, even if it is mostly based on just greed. We understand what the antagonists want, we know how much power they have currently and how much they want to get, we understand why the protagonists are against them - it all makes sense. Yes, they add in a few extra layers that give some intrigue and depth to them, which is good, but it's still pretty clear what sort of power the villains have and what they're after. It makes the plot much cleaner and easier to follow. Instead of trying to puzzle out what undisclosed motivations everyone has, I can just sit back and enjoy the actual story.

They try to give some background (and there is more in some of the books) about how the remnants of the Empire regrouped in the uncharted regions and sympathizers helped finance them, etc. Leia touches on it that the Senate of the New Republic didn't regard them as a true threat. Their goal is really the same as the empire - control the galaxy through power and fear so they can profit more from it ...

I am a bit interested in the potential for where it goes under Kylo's leadership as he seems to have a different vision - or at least doesn't want to repeat what the Empire was and Hux largely does ... but we shall see, definitely needs to be built out more

Some of the First Order stuff has been covered in the books and such. I haven't read most of them, but the gist is that after the Battle of Jakku, which was the actual final battle of the Galactic Civil War (after the Battle of Endor), Imperial remnants retreated to out past the Outer Rim. There they laid low and consolidated their power under Snoke. They basically built a huge war machine and struck back into the Outer Rim, taking over places that were not even part of the New Republic yet. This is why Leia founded the Resistance, which was her paramilitary group dedicated to defending the Outer Rim from these incursions. While she received funding from the New Republic senate, many of the senators didn't think the First Order was a big threat, so basically Leia's little band was underfunded, which allowed the First Order to continue to grow and encroach on the New Republic territory. Eventually it all comes to a head when The First Order completes the Starkiller Base super weapon and obliterates the Hosnian System, which is where the Senate was now based.

ETA: And TheMaxRebo beat me to it with a much more succinct explanation. :)

They try to give some background (and there is more in some of the books) about how the remnants of the Empire regrouped in the uncharted regions and sympathizers helped finance them, etc. Leia touches on it that the Senate of the New Republic didn't regard them as a true threat. Their goal is really the same as the empire - control the galaxy through power and fear so they can profit more from it ...

I am a bit interested in the potential for where it goes under Kylo's leadership as he seems to have a different vision - or at least doesn't want to repeat what the Empire was and Hux largely does ... but we shall see, definitely needs to be built out more

It seems liek Smoke would have been a good character to convey some of that kind of information through like how he got into power and all that but he's gone now.

I think part of Finn's purpose was to act as exposition. We're supposed to understand his hopelessness as a deep statement on just how unstoppable the First Order is. Unfortunately, TLJ sort of just makes him seem more of a habitual coward, which weakens that narrative device.

It seems liek Smoke would have been a good character to convey some of that kind of information through like how he got into power and all that but he's gone now.

yeah, the idea there was a strong dark power in the uncharted region that Palpatine could "feel" and thus why they had the back up plan of going there could definitely been Snoke and he could have provided some of that background ... though, theoretically he still could via flashbacks or him just not actually being dead

I think part of Finn's purpose was to act as exposition. We're supposed to understand his hopelessness as a deep statement on just how unstoppable the First Order is. Unfortunately, TLJ sort of just makes him seem more of a habitual coward, which weakens that narrative device.

I think TLJ was supposed to show his growth from being a Storm Trooper, to someone who then cared about himself and getting out of there, to then caring about someone else (he at least tells Rose he was trying to escape to be able to inform Rey to not come back) to caring about a cause/group of people in willing to sacrifice himself in that final battle

I think that middle one didn't come across as a strong as it could have

yeah, the idea there was a strong dark power in the uncharted region that Palpatine could "feel" and thus why they had the back up plan of going there could definitely been Snoke and he could have provided some of that background ... though, theoretically he still could via flashbacks or him just not actually being dead
Yeah I mean Darth Maul showed being skewered isn’t the end so I guess Snoke could too?

I'm not one of the ones who hated TLJ but there were many missed opportunities and Snoke was one of them. He was one of the most interesting characters I thought and we learned basically nothing about him.

Yeah I mean Darth Maul showed being skewered isn’t the end so I guess Snoke could too?

right, or Luke could Force Project himself, why couldn't Snoke? I mean, he says he could read Kylo's mind and intentions so you would think he would have felt it coming that Kylo was going to turn on him - but he let him as he knew that wasn't "really" him

Not saying that is what happened but just that there are multiple ways they could get around it

I'm not one of the ones who hated TLJ but there were many missed opportunities and Snoke was one of them. He was one of the most interesting characters I thought and we learned basically nothing about him.

certainly not the first (and probably not the last) time Star Wars has done that. I actually like the idea of doing something different and having the apprentice rise in the 2nd act vs the original trilogy that only had the "big bad" killed in the very last act ... but due agree a bit more background on him would have been good

Though, guess that is what books are for and, in 10 years or whatever "Snoke: A Star Wars Story"

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter