Solo: A Star Wars Story

Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw both the Last Jedi and Solo. Solo was quite a ride and I have already preordered it. There were parts of the Last Jedi that I enjoyed and parts I had little patience for. I felt that Finn, Poe's story should have been more In depth. Plus I found out I have little patience for Kylo Ren. I know I am in the minority. I thought if he had an interesting story I would be in but NO.

I definitely find Kylo imperfect, but I do like that he is a different sort of "bad guy" - and I think there is potential to his story arc, but it is up to episode IX to fully realize that. So guess my grade on him is "incomplete" at this point

The Last Jedi is a political movie. That’s why some fans love it and some hate it.

Listen to Rose Tico’s monologue “We’re going to win this war not by fighting what we hate, but saving what we love.”

No, not THAT monologue! The one on Canto Bite.

Now, if you believe Boeing and United Technologies are evil and make money off war then you’re going to say “Rose isn’t being political, she’s speaking The Truth”. And you will sincerely believe that. And you’ll say “I don’t see how anyone can say TLJ was a political movie, I just don’t see it”.

There are other examples I could give from the movie, but that would get this post deleted and I’d get points for being political.

And that proves my point.

The Last Jedi has themes that are directly relevant to politics in America in 2017. If you lean that way you’re not gonna see it as political, you’ll only see it as the truth or as some sign of positive progress. But if you lean the other way these themes will stick out like a sore thumb.

So going back and forth saying whether we liked TLJ is pointless and only tells me who you voted for in 2016.

The point is this: is it wise for Disney to make political movies that drive away half the population?

It depends on what’s most important to them. Fahrenheit 9/11 may be the best movie ever made but a large part of the population would never consider watching it.

I say keep contemporary politics out of Star Wars. Make movies we all can enjoy.

You do understand Star Wars has always been a political movie. Lucas created Star Wars as an anti-Vietnam movie with the US playing the Empire and Nixon playing Palpatine.

" Lucas, when asked if Palpatine had ever been a Jedi, replied, "No, he was a politician. Richard M. Nixon was his name. He subverted the senate and finally took over and became an imperial guy and he was really evil. But he pretended to be a really nice guy."

I definitely find Kylo imperfect, but I do like that he is a different sort of "bad guy" - and I think there is potential to his story arc, but it is up to episode IX to fully realize that. So guess my grade on him is "incomplete" at this point

Unfortunately I think my response to him is entangled with how I feel about Han and Leia. And Luke to a different extent. So that probably colors how I feel about that character. So I can see that I am biased.

To add something to the other discussion, I felt Star Wars is political movie to some extent. But that's not why I have mixed feeling about Last Jedi.

I grew to Love Rose and look forward to seeing her in the Next film. There is no reason to harass her online. It's tacky and rude

Last edited:
The quote says these toxic fans. So to be fair I don’t think it’s pointed at reasonable people like yourself who did not like the movie. I don’t really read it as it’s saying there can be no valid criticism of TLJ.

This is spot on. Many of us didn't like a lot of the TLD (even hated parts), but we didn't call for a boycott.

Many of us went opening minute to Solo and like it as well, and also will to IX with fingers crossed it can be saved. As well as GE in DHS.

My son wouldn't go to Solo because of the TLJ "BS", but he didn't "sign up" for a boycott-many fans obviously just stayed away. Are they "boycotting", I guess so.

ETA: But I for one can 100% see why there is the backlash, and have no intention of belittling those fans by reposting insulting tweets or other methods. They have a right to those opinions and indeed had a negative effect on the Solo box office like it or not.

No logical person can conclude the boycott didn't work because Solo blew away the box office expectations.

Last edited:
If you don't want politics in your Star Wars movies, then probably can't watch any of the Star Wars movies which have forever had political messages in them

In the laundry list of reasons I didn't like TLJ politics is fairly far down the list. Distantly below extremely bad writing, and dumping on the characters from previous movies. However there is a marked difference between how "politics" was handled in the previous movies and how it was handled in TLJ. I don't know how many people watched the previous movies and thought, "wow really hitting you over the head with politics here". I tend to not watch behind the scenes stuff and "the making of .... " so the political message in a lot of movies escapes me. Hard to escape it in TLJ with the Canto Bight scene.

This is spot on. Many of us didn't like a lot of the TLD (even hated parts), but we didn't call for a boycott.

I didn't call for a boycott just didn't bother going to see Solo and didn't pay to see TLJ more than once, but I'm glad the movie is losing money as it may hopefully lead to changes at LucasFilm which is a good thing.

In the laundry list of reasons I didn't like TLJ politics is fairly far down the list. Distantly below extremely bad writing, and dumping on the characters from previous movies. However there is a marked difference between how "politics" was handled in the previous movies and how it was handled in TLJ. I don't know how many people watched the previous movies and thought, "wow really hitting you over the head with politics here". I tend to not watch behind the scenes stuff and "the making of .... " so the political message in a lot of movies escapes me. Hard to escape it in TLJ with the Canto Bight scene.

Hey, it's totally fair to not like TLJ for various story reasons. I admit it's not my favorite of the trilogy and feel some aspects were mishandled or a bit unclear. I think what it is about the politics, is that when it's something distant, like Vietnam, we don't feel as connected to it (even Vietnam was over by the time of the original film). Certainly a lot of people thought Revenge of the Sith made a pronounced statement with "This is how democracy dies...." I really don't see TLJ as having as much political commentary as it does social commentary, but it's not much different than most films in that regard.

I didn't call for a boycott just didn't bother going to see Solo and didn't pay to see TLJ more than once, but I'm glad the movie is losing money as it may hopefully lead to changes at LucasFilm which is a good thing.

Again though, Solo failing when TLJ succeeded would only embolden Lucasfilm to make more movies like TLJ. Solo is the kind of movie you want. Honestly, if one liked TFA, Rogue One, and Solo, then TLJ becomes the aberration. Three out of Four is pretty good for most film studios (unless you're Marvel, who likes to go 20 for 20).

Solo is the kind of movie you want.

No it is really not. Rogue one was decent because it fleshed out an event that happened leading into Star Wars. To be honest the last 10 minutes of Rogue One saved it from mediocrity for me. TFA had me hyped up for movie XIII which was so terribly disjointed from TFA that I don't care what happens in movie IX.

Again though, Solo failing when TLJ succeeded would only embolden Lucasfilm to make more movies like TLJ. Solo is the kind of movie you want. Honestly, if one liked TFA, Rogue One, and Solo, then TLJ becomes the aberration. Three out of Four is pretty good for most film studios (unless you're Marvel, who likes to go 20 for 20).

I am not sure TLJ was the success Disney was looking for.... it made money yes but did they internally forecast it to make more than it did? Did it disappoint them financially? These are serious questions I don't really know the answer to them. Another serious set of questions: Has Disney profitted yet from purchasing Star Wars? With the heavy investment of Star Wars into their theme parks and movie-wise do they like the direction that Star Wars is going financially?

Yep that was my point, there was no reason for anyone to call for a boycott-it happened naturally. Social media just magnified the obvious.

My guess is Disney knows which one of the 4 was the biggest turn off (partly if not mostly from social media and other feedback), will see where it goes from here.

I wanted Star Wars blazing on all cylinders to get that 3rd attraction at G Edge. Not suddenly loosing interest and money.

The sequel trilogy isn’t going where I would have hoped as a casual SW fan, the First Order (the Empire) played out for me in 1983.....I think a lot of SW fans have been waiting 30+ years to see Luke yield a lightsaber and wreck havoc again and apparently that’s not in the plans.....kind of lame

No it is really not. Rogue one was decent because it fleshed out an event that happened leading into Star Wars. To be honest the last 10 minutes of Rogue One saved it from mediocrity for me. TFA had me hyped up for movie XIII which was so terribly disjointed from TFA that I don't care what happens in movie IX.

Well, fair enough, but Solo as a film does not contain any of the kinds of things that a portion of the fandom found distasteful in TLJ. It is very much a movie for the fans.

Well, fair enough, but Solo as a film does not contain any of the kinds of things that a portion of the fandom found distasteful in TLJ. It is very much a movie for the fans.

Distasteful????? Other then Luke milking the weird alien manatee thingymabob and drinking the green milk and smirking while it oozed down his beard, I wouldn't call anything in the movie Distasteful. Just extremely poorly written/directed. A disaster for prior and future Star Wars movies. A movie for the fans? They probably should have released it before the movie that dumped on the characters from the Originals and had the theme of letting the past die...... just a suggestion.

The Last Jedi is a political movie. That’s why some fans love it and some hate it.

Listen to Rose Tico’s monologue “We’re going to win this war not by fighting what we hate, but saving what we love.”

No, not THAT monologue! The one on Canto Bite.

Now, if you believe Boeing and United Technologies are evil and make money off war then you’re going to say “Rose isn’t being political, she’s speaking The Truth”. And you will sincerely believe that. And you’ll say “I don’t see how anyone can say TLJ was a political movie, I just don’t see it”.

There are other examples I could give from the movie, but that would get this post deleted and I’d get points for being political.

And that proves my point.

The Last Jedi has themes that are directly relevant to politics in America in 2017. If you lean that way you’re not gonna see it as political, you’ll only see it as the truth or as some sign of positive progress. But if you lean the other way these themes will stick out like a sore thumb.

So going back and forth saying whether we liked TLJ is pointless and only tells me who you voted for in 2016.

The point is this: is it wise for Disney to make political movies that drive away half the population?

It depends on what’s most important to them. Fahrenheit 9/11 may be the best movie ever made but a large part of the population would never consider watching it.

I say keep contemporary politics out of Star Wars. Make movies we all can enjoy.
Why do we have to try and generalize everything when comes to why people like or dislike TLJ. I’ve heard many different reason why people like it or don’t it’s much more nuanced than you are making it.

You do understand Star Wars has always been a political movie. Lucas created Star Wars as an anti-Vietnam movie with the US playing the Empire and Nixon playing Palpatine.

" Lucas, when asked if Palpatine had ever been a Jedi, replied, "No, he was a politician. Richard M. Nixon was his name. He subverted the senate and finally took over and became an imperial guy and he was really evil. But he pretended to be a really nice guy."

So that explains why I always liked the empire better than the alliance.....lol

I actually was bored with TFA, after the third viewing (first by myself, second brought the kids, third via blu ray so my wife could see it), I didn't really care for it. I found it to predictable. I honestly kept waiting for Luke to show up in the forest battle on Starkiller to save the day.

I loved TLJ. Finally a SW that takes us in a new direction. I can't wait for IX.

I liked Solo. Didn't love it. Rogue One is still my favorite of the new set of movies. I can watch that one over and over, much like RoTJ.

i think the main issue with the franchise is it seems to lack direction. The Last Jedi feels like a stand alone movie and not the 2nd part of a new trilogy. The Force Awakens was just a reboot of a New Hope .. but with new characters (just how Jurassic World was a sequel/reboot of Jurassic Park). So .. to most it was a - been there done that sort of thing. They made some fun new characters, but they didnt do much with them in the Last Jedi.

Politics aside, the Last Jedi was just filled with too many plotholes that just sorta make you feel Meh about the whole thing. (If Rose and Finn could just jump away undetected to go to Canto Bight .. why not just load EVERYONE into small ships to escape? The major plot of the whole movie was just flawed (Resistance being chased by the First Order) .. Why couldnt the first order just put some Star Destroyers IN FRONT of the Resistance?

Rogue one and Solo are just movies pulled out of Star Wars history rather than continuing the main story. That feels more like what books do for content rather than movies.

It just muddies the waters for the casual movie goer fan in my opinion (Wait .. isnt Han Solo dead? where is Rey? .. etc. When is this happening?)
Jumping around the Star Wars timeline and filling in the blanks is good for the hardcore Star Wars fan, but not the (only seen the movies) fans.

Look at the Marvel movies - they can pump those out every few months and they all loosely tie together and all lead to one GIGANTIC movie. Pretty brilliant way to tie in dozens of different movies and characters (with different writers and directors) into one solid vision.

i think the main issue with the franchise is it seems to lack direction.

I agree. However TLJ could have added/continued to FA and handed the keys over a bit more smoothly IMO. No need to make old characters appear worthless so its time to move on.

The Last Jedi feels like a stand alone movie and not the 2nd part of a new trilogy.

100% exactly. Hardly anything lined up.

The Force Awakens was just a reboot of a New Hope .. but with new characters (just how Jurassic World was a sequel/reboot of Jurassic Park). So .. to most it was a - been there done that sort of thing. They made some fun new characters, but they didnt do much with them in the Last Jedi.

Agree again, however that was the right step IMO. Suck the fans back in, put $2 Billion in the bank and get the party started.

Politics aside, the Last Jedi was just filled with too many plotholes that just sorta make you feel Meh about the whole thing. (If Rose and Finn could just jump away undetected to go to Canto Bight .. why not just load EVERYONE into small ships to escape? The major plot of the whole movie was just flawed (Resistance being chased by the First Order) .. Why couldnt the first order just put some Star Destroyers IN FRONT of the Resistance?

Yea it was a mess, and your so right about the slow motion "chase" scene. Having a faster first gear? Not believable. Not only put one in front, but I keep picturing a ship "getting the angle on them" like on a kick off return.

It was like a dog chasing a cat on a day so hot they were both walking.

Rogue one and Solo are just movies pulled out of Star Wars history rather than continuing the main story. That feels more like what books do for content rather than movies.

I do agree again-but also think these were more for "seasoned" fans. Why expect "new" fans to care about those old dead guys they never heard of?

But "seasoned" fans need to be catered to and counted on to make them a success. Not insulted and told to move on from the past.

It just muddies the waters for the casual movie goer fan in my opinion (Wait .. isnt Han Solo dead? where is Rey? .. etc. When is this happening?)
Jumping around the Star Wars timeline and filling in the blanks is good for the hardcore Star Wars fan, but not the (only seen the movies) fans.

Yes sorry I read this after. Exactly-where are the "needed" fans for these now?

Look at the Marvel movies - they can pump those out every few months and they all loosely tie together and all lead to one GIGANTIC movie. Pretty brilliant way to tie in dozens of different movies and characters (with different writers and directors) into one solid vision.

See they do it right though. Marvel does a lot of "look back/prequel" movies and they work.

A major one coming next, simply to introduce a savior-and my guess it will be challenge accepted-not teet sucking could care less figure it out yourself type of reaction. We will see.

Last edited:

Can't you make that argument about almost all the SW battles??? It's 4 dimensions, but they always seems to treat the space battles as two dimensional.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter