Space Mountain Refurb 2/25-?

I sent an email to see if an end date was anticipated for the space mountain refurb. I told them we planned to be in the parks March 12-15 and just wanted to see if the refurb would be lengthy or possibly a short one. I received an email back today. Here is the info I received. Just wanted to share.

Jan 20, 6:41 PM EST

Thank you for contacting the Disneyland® Resort in Southern California!

I am sorry to hear that Space Mountain will be under refurbishment during your visit. While no public date has been released yet for when it will be back open, I can tell you that we anticipate it to be back in the middle of March. While I don't want to discourage you from visiting on the dates you are planning to come, I can say that most likely you would not be able to go on Space Mountain for those dates.

We encourage you to come in late March or even April to play it safe if this attraction is paramount to your visit as refurbishments are sometimes unpredictable in terms of when they will come back online for an exact date.... allow me to explain a little more. Safety is our number one concern and we are very big on preventative maintenance. During this refurbishment our Walt Disney Imagineering along with our Leaders in Maintenance and Safety will do a full inspection of the attraction, while we have planned for specific things to be done to it, it is possible that other things may arise during the refurbishment, things that are still in passing condition but would need to get replaced 6 months down the line, for example, would be replaced while it was already offline for the existing refurbishment to prevent another time of it coming offline and to ensure the utmost safety for our Guests.

I know that was a very long explanation, but hopefully, it gives you a little insight into why we do not have an exact date yet. We look forward to seeing you soon!

Have a Magical day!
I'm seriously AMAZED that you got that much detail. I would have expected a canned response.

I'm seriously AMAZED that you got that much detail. I would have expected a canned response.

Wow! I don't think I've ever seen anything like this from Disney. Hopefully whoever responded can actually be trusted. That makes me feel much better about our mid April trip. Now if OP could just reply to the same CM and ask them about Fantasmic, WoC, GRR, and the Castle! haha

I think that was a great response from Disney - honestly they do not have to give us anything more than a canned response as others have stated. I work on projects and honestly it's true for any project - schedules are great but they are normally based off estimates - unless you have the same person, replacing the same type of light bulb, in the same lamp, in the same location of the same house then those estimates can fail. Something like renovating a roller coaster can easily see hiccups. I am glad they take their time and that safety is priority. I do feel bad though for those missing it, it's my DD's favorite ride although she keeps saying one of these trips it's gonna be down she knows it. We leave on the 18th so we just miss the refurb but I told her that if it's requiring an update of any kind that means it could get pulled off line sooner so if it's up once we get there ride it a lot in case it gets taking offline later in the trip. I think this is true for any ride.

I think that was a great response from Disney - honestly they do not have to give us anything more than a canned response as others have stated. I work on projects and honestly it's true for any project - schedules are great but they are normally based off estimates - unless you have the same person, replacing the same type of light bulb, in the same lamp, in the same location of the same house then those estimates can fail. Something like renovating a roller coaster can easily see hiccups. I am glad they take their time and that safety is priority. I do feel bad though for those missing it, it's my DD's favorite ride although she keeps saying one of these trips it's gonna be down she knows it. We leave on the 18th so we just miss the refurb but I told her that if it's requiring an update of any kind that means it could get pulled off line sooner so if it's up once we get there ride it a lot in case it gets taking offline later in the trip. I think this is true for any ride.

I completely understand about things taking longer than expected. I thought emailing about it would be a long shot, but kind of hoped they’d be able to tell whether it was going to be a lengthy refurb or not. I hoped it was going to be a quick one with just simple maintenance lol. We have the option of changing our flights and going in mid-May instead, but by then something else might be down so I guess we will just go without Space Mountain. We will have a great trip regardless! Hope y’all do too!

Wow! I don't think I've ever seen anything like this from Disney. Hopefully whoever responded can actually be trusted. That makes me feel much better about our mid April trip. Now if OP could just reply to the same CM and ask them about Fantasmic, WoC, GRR, and the Castle! haha

Lol I’m not going to push my luck by asking about anything else. I think I’ve come to terms with all of that being closed during our trip. Space Mtn was the only thing I really wanted to open up. We like the shows, but much prefer rides! Hope y’all have great luck in April and everything is open for you!

I sent an email to see if an end date was anticipated for the space mountain refurb. I told them we planned to be in the parks March 12-15 and just wanted to see if the refurb would be lengthy or possibly a short one. I received an email back today. Here is the info I received. Just wanted to share.

Jan 20, 6:41 PM EST

Thank you for contacting the Disneyland® Resort in Southern California!

I am sorry to hear that Space Mountain will be under refurbishment during your visit. While no public date has been released yet for when it will be back open, I can tell you that we anticipate it to be back in the middle of March. While I don't want to discourage you from visiting on the dates you are planning to come, I can say that most likely you would not be able to go on Space Mountain for those dates.

We encourage you to come in late March or even April to play it safe if this attraction is paramount to your visit as refurbishments are sometimes unpredictable in terms of when they will come back online for an exact date.... allow me to explain a little more. Safety is our number one concern and we are very big on preventative maintenance. During this refurbishment our Walt Disney Imagineering along with our Leaders in Maintenance and Safety will do a full inspection of the attraction, while we have planned for specific things to be done to it, it is possible that other things may arise during the refurbishment, things that are still in passing condition but would need to get replaced 6 months down the line, for example, would be replaced while it was already offline for the existing refurbishment to prevent another time of it coming offline and to ensure the utmost safety for our Guests.

I know that was a very long explanation, but hopefully, it gives you a little insight into why we do not have an exact date yet. We look forward to seeing you soon!

Have a Magical day!

Thank you for sharing this information. Nice that they went into details.

I completely understand about things taking longer than expected. I thought emailing about it would be a long shot, but kind of hoped they’d be able to tell whether it was going to be a lengthy refurb or not. I hoped it was going to be a quick one with just simple maintenance lol. We have the option of changing our flights and going in mid-May instead, but by then something else might be down so I guess we will just go without Space Mountain. We will have a great trip regardless! Hope y’all do too!

I hope you get some pixie dust and it's at least up by the end of your trip to ride - you never know....pixiedust:

Bummer it will likely be down for your trip. It does sound like they are looking at just a few weeks though, unless something unexpected happens. I imagine they are hoping it will be open for Spring Break crowds.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter