SSR seems like the best of the bunch...

I just bought site unseen and from my review/readings I feel it is the best of all the resorts...Kind of like going to Disney but not...Meaning if you want to enjoy the parks great...If not...Hang by the pool...Go to the Spa...Play a round of golf...or walk the grounds...I think my kids are going to enjoy it for a long time

This is probably a comment more appreciated over in the SSR Lovers thread. I didn't buy site unseen, but from the tour I figured it was a good locale for me.

I always manage to spend one full day at DTD on my trips and look forward to it. But I don't think I've begun to truly appreciate the area yet. When I finally got to stay overnight in SSR last December I was hopping over to DTD daily. Went club hopping one night, did a 3D movie another, and several days worth of Christmas shopping. All they need is a mini-golf course nearby and the area is complete.

It's a good place to be in Disney but not be overwhelmed by it.

Next trip I'm looking forward to warmer weather and taking that ferry upstream for some resort hopping. OKW and Port Orleans intriques me for all the raves it gets. I'm thinking I'll feel like I'm going to multiple parts of the country... Key West, Louisianna and Miami.

I don't think there will be any disappointment for you at SSR. We have stayed at all the DVC resorts many times and really like it. I would agree with Diane that OKW offers a similar experience and you might also enjoy staying there some.

I prefer the room decor at SSR more than OKW but the larger living areas and kitchen at OKW are really nice if you have a larger group.

hope3702: Welcome Home! I know you are excited about your new resort home, but SHHHH! We're trying to keep the splendor of SSR on the down-low, eh? :laughing:

But seriously, I think we all know that opinions, belly buttons and DVC resorts all have three things in common:

1. Everyone here has one.
2. They are all different.
3. Everyone thinks theirs is the best!

Well, I guess there are some from time to time that don't.....but never mind - I hope you enjoy SSR for many years to come.

The hotel format of BWV, BCV, VWL, I always thought I liked that best until I stayed at SSR. I was quiet surprised to find I preferred not hearing people running down the hallway, calling their family members to hold the elevator, or just talking really loudly in general. After staying at SSR ,( grudgingly) I loved the set up of it. When I'm at the parks I'm in the hustle and bustle and I like that very much, but now I know I can come back and unwind in a little more serenity. ( yes after our first stay at SSR we bought points there and I don't know that I will ever go back to our other resorts). Go figure I would not have guessed it of myself.:rotfl:

After staying at SSR ,( grudgingly) I loved the set up of it. When I'm at the parks I'm in the hustle and bustle and I like that very much, but now I know I can come back and unwind in a little more serenity. ( yes after our first stay at SSR we bought points there and I don't know that I will ever go back to our other resorts). Go figure I would not have guessed it of myself.:rotfl:

Trouble is once you get used to the more laid back style of vacation it's hard to get yourself into the hustle and bustle.

I've experienced that with studio/hotel rooms vs. 1-2 bedrooms, 7 day hoppers vs. APs, 1 week vs. 2 week vacations.

You don't need a park ticket to go to the mall at home either.....

Downtown Disney is an outdoor venue, more of a lifestyle center.....Malls are enclosed, again learn the difference. Comparing DTD to a local mall is like comparing Burger King to Wolfgang Pucks. Sure the both serve food, but thats where the comparison stops.

So now its not enough to bash SSR, you have to go after DTD now. Poor guy, get a life.

Why does there HAVE to be a universal "best" and "worst" DVC location? It's a silly argument full of subjective opinions and priorities.

Every one of the DVC properties is a "best" for someone, even if it is not the "best" one for you...

You know... we've been to every resort except OKW (I don't know why Diane... :sad2: ), but each visit was a "WOW... we need to come back here" experience. Not enough points and free time to fulfill that desire, but you are right they are all great resorts. And heck... what would life be without variety.

We've been members for more than 9 years, and have stayed at each of the WDW DVC resorts except BCV (before we joined, YC/BC was where we usually stayed so we're familiar with its ambiance, plus, BWV is one of our home resorts and the location is virtually the same). Every resort has its own appeal and can be appreciated for its uniqueness, but I don't see why there's a need to rate them. :sad2:
I wish everyone who posts their review of a resort would qualify their opinion with something like "for ME" or "for MY needs", and not state it as a universal truth.:mad:
I love reading about what makes for "resort-appeal"; I enjoy learning about new things to look for or to experience when I visit a particular resort again, but why this "mine's better than yours" attitude?:confused3

We've been members for more than 9 years, and have stayed at each of the WDW DVC resorts except BCV (before we joined, YC/BC was where we usually stayed so we're familiar with its ambiance, plus, BWV is one of our home resorts and the location is virtually the same). Every resort has its own appeal and can be appreciated for its uniqueness, but I don't see why there's a need to rate them. :sad2:
I wish everyone who posts their review of a resort would qualify their opinion with something like "for ME" or "for MY needs", and not state it as a universal truth.:mad:
I love reading about what makes for "resort-appeal"; I enjoy learning about new things to look for or to experience when I visit a particular resort again, but why this "mine's better than yours" attitude?:confused3

It does get old and it makes it appear that when someone likes something different they have absolutely no sense at all and that is insulting.

I have stayed at "all" of the DVC resorts many times. Therefore I do feel I am qualifed to compare them. There is good in all of them and not a single one is perfect. Right now, SSR, fits what we like best. But you know at times, it appears here you simply can not have that opinion and be left alone about it.

When I state what I like, though, I am immediately challenged to justify it. Well you know I am getting tired of it. I never thought I would be one to say these forums are getting to me, but lately I must say I am seriously considering going back to the resorts forums and leaving the madness here alone. Why, because there you can give your opinion and people respect it for what it is, an opinion.

My 2 cents and a very rare vent from me.

You know, I still can't help but wonder what Richyams would have contributed to the SSR debate. Whichever way he went, and I think we all know where that would have been, it would've been good.

I have stayed at "all" of the DVC resorts many times. Therefore I do feel I am qualifed to compare them. There is good in all of them and not a single one is perfect. Right now, SSR, fits what we like best. But you know at times, it appears here you simply can not have that opinion and be left alone about it.

My 2 cents and a very rare vent from me.

I know this is directed at me so I'll respond.

I don't think I've EVER stated anywhere that someone who likes X Resort is wrong. That would be simply silly. We all like different things and have different needs out of a vacation. If I have stated otherwise I apologize and really please quote me in this thread here and now where I've said that. Fact is that I like ALL of the resorts for one reason or another.

Now in defense of myself and others. Why is it OK to bash those that state they think SSR is to big or that they found a problem at X Resort? If it isn't OK it goes on here all of the time. Anyone dares question a DVC decision or resort and the flames start burning them through the computer.

I've been guilty of stating things as fact and you know what, I need to get a Greenban type disclaimer as my signature that most of what I post is my opinion.

I guess I thought we could discern what is fact and what is opinion. 99% of this board is opinionated in nature.

Don't label me or others a basher because we don't like something. Give us the freedom to say so without discrediting and stating "That is your opinion". You don't agree fine. Just because YOU like SSR doesn't make it fact that it isn't to big or that it is a great resort. That is your opinin and I respect that.

People neeed to stop reflexivley defending the resorts and maybe, just maybe they will see some good thoughts or ideas instead of burrying their heads in the sand.

IKind of like going to Disney but not...

Exactly why we have no interest there. We can't get enough of Disney World and it's the only reason we would purchase a timeshare (DISNEY vacation club) in central FL instead of on the gulf. The 1 or 2 weeks a year is hardly enough to get the Disney "FIX" fullfilled the way it is.

I know this is directed at me so I'll respond.

If it had been directed at you, it would have been so.

I don't think I've EVER stated anywhere that someone who likes X Resort is wrong. That would be simply silly. We all like different things and have different needs out of a vacation. If I have stated otherwise I apologize and really please quote me in this thread here and now where I've said that. Fact is that I like ALL of the resorts for one reason or another.

You might want to re-read your comments. When someone lists why they like SSR, and you comment that it has "no value" then yes you are implying they are wrong.

Now in defense of myself and others. Why is it OK to bash those that state they think SSR is to big or that they found a problem at X Resort? If it isn't OK it goes on here all of the time. Anyone dares question a DVC decision or resort and the flames start burning them through the computer.

I welcome all opinions, there is a difference in opinion and bashing and I don't think you get the difference. For one thing being repeative about it, becomes bashing.

I've been guilty of stating things as fact and you know what, I need to get a Greenban type disclaimer as my signature that most of what I post is my opinion.

That might be a good idea.

People neeed to stop reflexivley defending the resorts and maybe, just maybe they will see some good thoughts or ideas instead of burrying their heads in the sand

See this is where you went to far, you want to be allowed to give your opinion on SSR but when someone truly likes SSR and states the reasons they do, they are burying their heads in the sand.

You know, I still can't help but wonder what Richyams would have contributed to the SSR debate. Whichever way he went, and I think we all know where that would have been, it would've been good.

In a very good natured, respectful way he would have never liked it. He did not like any of the them except OKW, and we all loved it him for it. He is dearly missed.

In a very good natured, respectful way he would have never liked it. He did not like any of the them except OKW, and we all loved it him for it. He is dearly missed.

Good natured and respectful, yeah, for the most part, but he did love to rattle cages! It was never malicious though. Entertaining to no end, but never malicious.

I think he disliked everything but OKW equally, but I wonder if he would have cut SSR a little more slack because it is a little more similar to OKW, or whether he would have trashed it because it had the smaller rooms that he despised. You know, the ones he claimed he could reach across and get a drink from the fridge without getting out of his seat on the balcony.... :lmao:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter