Struggling to lose weight

Some things I do...
Dont drink calories
No eating after dinner
If eating out, dont clear plate (I like to eat half and bring other half home for lunch next day)
Snacks are fruit or veges or nuts
Small portions

It doesn’t really matter what does or does not cause it. To lose weight you need to take in less than you burn. That’s science. I am 51 going on 52 and if I decide I want to lose a pound a week I need to eat 3500 (give or take) calories less a week no matter how jacked up my hormones are. For some that might be 3700 for others 3400 or whatever. What needs to be figured out is how much you maintain at and then how much you need to subtract from that to lose. Half the things suggested in this thread like cutting carbs, eliminating alcohol, not drinking sugary drinks, WLS etc. all do the same thing- they cut calories from your diet. At the end of the day it’s all just math.

It is not as simple as creating a calorie deficit. For me if my hormones are unbalanced I could eat a 1000 calories a day and still gain weight. Once my hormones are sorted it works but if unbalanced it just doesn't. My Dr backed this up saying it is pretty much impossible to lose weight if your oestrogen is too low. I do WW which has worked for me for many years but when my hormones went wrong WW had me putting on weight it took over a year to get to the bottom of it.

If your hormones are so stable that eating less always works for you you are lucky. Many women's bodies don't do that and need to sort out the hormones first before doing lower calories otherwise they will just get disheartened when it doesn't work.

Tosca Reno has a lot of resources on her blog including a Just the Rules guide which discourages starving yourself and encourages eating small meals, lean protein (lots of options for vegetarians) and complex carbs. She also encourages keeping a journal, hydration, and taking care of yourself.

Last edited:

Yep your age has a lot to do with it. This 45 year old is fixing to have a gastric sleeve to combat this problem. I am about 55-60 lbs overweight.
I thought one had to be more overweight for that? Likes 100+? Agree 100% age has a lot to do with it.. Though I noticed with my mom she dropped tons of weight post menopause.. not sure if that played a role though as she really started walking more once she retired. I have also heard that post menopause the body adjusts again.. I cant wait until then. i am 46 and want my weight gone now!!

It is not as simple as creating a calorie deficit. For me if my hormones are unbalanced I could eat a 1000 calories a day and still gain weight. Once my hormones are sorted it works but if unbalanced it just doesn't. My Dr backed this up saying it is pretty much impossible to lose weight if your oestrogen is too low. I do WW which has worked for me for many years but when my hormones went wrong WW had me putting on weight it took over a year to get to the bottom of it.

If your hormones are so stable that eating less always works for you you are lucky. Many women's bodies don't do that and need to sort out the hormones first before doing lower calories otherwise they will just get disheartened when it doesn't work.
Can you please give a bit of details on what our DR. did to heck hormones.. I have had my Ts checked all good. I am 46 and taking the mini pill. My gyno just shrugged when I asked to have my hormones check. He said being on the pill masks any test result anyways.. I am curious if dropping the mini pill will either increase or decrease my weignt?? my pill has Desogestrel is a progestin, or a synthetic progestogen, I also do not eat that much and for what I eat and work out, should be tons thinner.

I do believe that hormonal shifts can make it harder to lose weight and, in fact, mentally I used that as excuse for not losing weight when in reality I was eating calories at a "maintenance" amount (which really isn't very much for me) rather than in a deficit. I mean it's really tough when you're cutting back, feeling awfully hungry, and the weight still doesn't come off. I had to find that new "low" for me, which is about 1450 calories, to lose.

I can assure you that I am post menopause--my estrogen is very low to non-existent and I don't take hormones. I can lose weight (not like I used to) and I have microscopic estrogen.

There's got to be more to the story then simple lack of estrogen or no one past menopause would ever lose weight. That said, I do think there is something to the hormonal changes that impact weight loss. You combine that with the loss of 1-3% of your muscle mass every year since your 30s (and you hardly notice it happening) and your metabolism isn't the engine it used to be!
When I was stumped about losing, I read a lot of diet studies out there and, science-wise, they haven't come across too many people who absolutely cannot lose weight on calorie restriction. Granted, it's unpleasant and many people can't live that way, but it still can work for most people. I think people should really try it before writing it off. I'm not insinuating anyone here has not tried it because it's obvious you are working with your doctors on it; however, I know that there was a time in my life that I let a lot of the diet/media blitz talk me out of not watching my food: you know the "STOP DIETING IT'S YOUR THYROID'S FAULT!!!!" or "Carbs make you fat, you'll never lose weight if you eat XXXX." I bought into some of the hype and used it as excuse because I was too miserable to face the fact that my eating habits of a 20-30 year old woman could never continue. I still struggle with it.

Last year I got up to my highest weight ever (162 lbs) and I was just shocked because I had always been a naturally thin person although I started gaining in my 40s. I had never gone that high--maybe 153 or something. So in April/May I went back to MyFitnessPal, reassessed by intake for my age of 55, almost wanted to crawl in a hole and die when I saw 1440. Tried 1600 which was a pretty significant deficit from my usual intake of over 2500 per day and nothing happened. I took it to the MFPs amount, measured everything, and I finally started to lose (and lose well). By the time September came I was down to about 148. I wanted to go lower but I realized I really liked how my clothes fit at that weight and it was "good enough". So I did maintenance for 2 months which is back up to 1600 calories and that worked even through 2.5 weeks on non-weight bearing due to my ankle condition. Then I went to Disney. I didn't diet, but I wouldn't say I gorged either. Hell, I didn't even get a Mickey Bar. But I had a dessert of some sort every day (Dole Whip, cupcake, etc) but of course I ate every meal out. When I got back, I was up 2 lbs. Also, it was November and holiday season was starting. I came home to my neighbor's loaf of Cranberry Bread. Then the next week she sent over Pumpkin Bars. I'm really weak on that stuff. I can't throw out really good home baked stuff. I ate it all and then it just went out of control. The point of this long story is that I'm at 153 now. Seems like it comes on much faster than it comes off, but I'm eating WAY more than any amount I could comfortably deficit myself. So, a few days ago, I was back on MFP and going back to 1440 because I know that's what it takes.

I know everyone is different, but in my personal life, I haven't met anyone who hasn't been able to lose by food intake reduction. I've met several who say they cannot but, hey, I'm around them and I just can see what they are doing.

For instance I have two women at work. Both started out about 18 months ago at probably 300 lbs. Both pushing 60 years old. One of them had some sort of gastric sleeve surgery and her weight loss started out really good and was impressive. The other started going to a gym with a trainer and got on a nutrition plan of eating less, reducing carbs, etc. Her weight loss was not as noticeable for a long time, but now it really is and she's lost 125 lbs and it's amazing. The gastric sleeve person lost initially about 80 lbs, but she is back to eating now. I sit in meetings with her and see her popping candy a lot and she goes down to the cafeteria and gets junky meals (she used to not able to eat that but for some reason now she can). Does the stomach stretch again? I don't know. So, she's put back on about 40 lbs. She said to me that "no matter what she does" she can't lose weight. I don't say anything but it's obvious to me and I don't think she knows she eats high calorie food.

Well, I've rambled this morning.

Can you please give a bit of details on what our DR. did to heck hormones.. I have had my Ts checked all good. I am 46 and taking the mini pill. My gyno just shrugged when I asked to have my hormones check. He said being on the pill masks any test result anyways.. I am curious if dropping the mini pill will either increase or decrease my weignt?? my pill has Desogestrel is a progestin, or a synthetic progestogen, I also do not eat that much and for what I eat and work out, should be tons thinner.

Dr took bloods and say my oestrogen was off the chart low even given normal fluctuations.

I do believe that hormonal shifts can make it harder to lose weight and, in fact, mentally I used that as excuse for not losing weight when in reality I was eating calories at a "maintenance" amount (which really isn't very much for me) rather than in a deficit. I mean it's really tough when you're cutting back, feeling awfully hungry, and the weight still doesn't come off. I had to find that new "low" for me, which is about 1450 calories, to lose.

I can assure you that I am post menopause--my estrogen is very low to non-existent and I don't take hormones. I can lose weight (not like I used to) and I have microscopic estrogen.

There's got to be more to the story then simple lack of estrogen or no one past menopause would ever lose weight. That said, I do think there is something to the hormonal changes that impact weight loss. You combine that with the loss of 1-3% of your muscle mass every year since your 30s (and you hardly notice it happening) and your metabolism isn't the engine it used to be!
When I was stumped about losing, I read a lot of diet studies out there and, science-wise, they haven't come across too many people who absolutely cannot lose weight on calorie restriction. Granted, it's unpleasant and many people can't live that way, but it still can work for most people. I think people should really try it before writing it off. I'm not insinuating anyone here has not tried it because it's obvious you are working with your doctors on it; however, I know that there was a time in my life that I let a lot of the diet/media blitz talk me out of not watching my food: you know the "STOP DIETING IT'S YOUR THYROID'S FAULT!!!!" or "Carbs make you fat, you'll never lose weight if you eat XXXX." I bought into some of the hype and used it as excuse because I was too miserable to face the fact that my eating habits of a 20-30 year old woman could never continue. I still struggle with it.

Last year I got up to my highest weight ever (162 lbs) and I was just shocked because I had always been a naturally thin person although I started gaining in my 40s. I had never gone that high--maybe 153 or something. So in April/May I went back to MyFitnessPal, reassessed by intake for my age of 55, almost wanted to crawl in a hole and die when I saw 1440. Tried 1600 which was a pretty significant deficit from my usual intake of over 2500 per day and nothing happened. I took it to the MFPs amount, measured everything, and I finally started to lose (and lose well). By the time September came I was down to about 148. I wanted to go lower but I realized I really liked how my clothes fit at that weight and it was "good enough". So I did maintenance for 2 months which is back up to 1600 calories and that worked even through 2.5 weeks on non-weight bearing due to my ankle condition. Then I went to Disney. I didn't diet, but I wouldn't say I gorged either. Hell, I didn't even get a Mickey Bar. But I had a dessert of some sort every day (Dole Whip, cupcake, etc) but of course I ate every meal out. When I got back, I was up 2 lbs. Also, it was November and holiday season was starting. I came home to my neighbor's loaf of Cranberry Bread. Then the next week she sent over Pumpkin Bars. I'm really weak on that stuff. I can't throw out really good home baked stuff. I ate it all and then it just went out of control. The point of this long story is that I'm at 153 now. Seems like it comes on much faster than it comes off, but I'm eating WAY more than any amount I could comfortably deficit myself. So, a few days ago, I was back on MFP and going back to 1440 because I know that's what it takes.

I know everyone is different, but in my personal life, I haven't met anyone who hasn't been able to lose by food intake reduction. I've met several who say they cannot but, hey, I'm around them and I just can see what they are doing.

For instance I have two women at work. Both started out about 18 months ago at probably 300 lbs. Both pushing 60 years old. One of them had some sort of gastric sleeve surgery and her weight loss started out really good and was impressive. The other started going to a gym with a trainer and got on a nutrition plan of eating less, reducing carbs, etc. Her weight loss was not as noticeable for a long time, but now it really is and she's lost 125 lbs and it's amazing. The gastric sleeve person lost initially about 80 lbs, but she is back to eating now. I sit in meetings with her and see her popping candy a lot and she goes down to the cafeteria and gets junky meals (she used to not able to eat that but for some reason now she can). Does the stomach stretch again? I don't know. So, she's put back on about 40 lbs. She said to me that "no matter what she does" she can't lose weight. I don't say anything but it's obvious to me and I don't think she knows she eats high calorie food.

Well, I've rambled this morning.

I was on a 1000 calories a day and gaining weight. As soon as my Dr replaced the Oestrogen I could lose weight by doing what I did back in my 30s and 40s. For me it was an obvious hormone causation as it changed as soon as I replaced the oestrogen.

Most women I know past 50 that lose weight are on HRT and here it is one of the main reasons women use HRT

I was on a 1000 calories a day and gaining weight. As soon as my Dr replaced the Oestrogen I could lose weight by doing what I did back in my 30s and 40s. For me it was an obvious hormone causation as it changed as soon as I replaced the oestrogen.

Most women I know past 50 that lose weight are on HRT and here it is one of the main reasons women use HRT

I've never done the HRT so I don't know. My best friend has been on HRT for about 2 years now and wasn't able to lose any weight. She is totally off it now and she has logged her food into MFP for 2.5 weeks now. She has no weight loss yet either and is very discouraged, but her doctor told her to try it for a month. She is also a very precise/disciplined person (except when she's eating everything in sight!!! ;-)) but I know she's doing a good job now at tracking. I'm waiting to see how this works out for her.

Keep up the fight - you'll get there. Try to avoid getting too much sugar in your diet. Even some fruits have a higher sugar content than others. Grapes, bananas, apples and kiwis have a high sugar content while strawberries and raspberries have less sugar. I found that avoiding sweets and limiting alcohol intake were the most effective. This part is hard since I still like my beer and whisky! I hardly drink wine anymore - that's a double whammy because you're getting sugar from the alcohol and the grapes. Also be cautious about any foods labelled as low fat. Sometimes the fat that is removed is replaced by sugar in some form to make the product taste good. I was shocked by how much sugar is in some varieties of yogurt.

I was too miserable to face the fact that my eating habits of a 20-30 year old woman could never continue

This. I used to have the metabolism of a racehorse. I could eat tons of food (admittedly, much of it not good for me) and could still stay pretty thin. It became much more difficult to maintain that practice, especially after having kids.

If you knew your caloric intake was enough to lose, and you still weren't losing, I agree that something else may have been in play, such as hormonal influences, like you said.

For the OP, however, I get the impression she doesn't know exactly what she is taking in every day, calorie-wise. An exact calorie count is where she should start, IMO, and then go from there.

My biggest issue is this lower belly pooch!!! Uggghhh.

I am totally in awe of the OP's huge efforts!!!!
But, I think that maybe there is probably a lot going on here, with Emer and with most all women!

Yes, age and hormones, etc.. can make a huge huge difference.
IMHO, that is just like a 'given'.
And, I totally believe in insulin resistance.
But, also, when I am reading about SO much excercise... how many miles a day, weights, etc...
That really catches my attention.
I am now more than 'a woman of a certain age'. And, that kind of weight training, with free-weights, etc. is just not good for the body. For bones and joints. And, that many miles a day.
Put all of that together with the limited calories and more vegan/vegetarian diet.
I am thinking that when people are going thru serious training, military, marathon, etc... and they are demanding that much from their body, that the need to feed the bodies needs are really stepped up.

It sounds, to me, like this might be a situation where the body is overly stressed, and is not getting all of the full nutritional support that it needs. Add in age and hormonal changes... less estrogen and higher levels of other hormones... And, while this sounds like so healthy and good and ideal, I think maybe a good, broad, look at everything as a whole might show that it might not be what it seems.

Emer, do you have a good doctor or nutritionist, or belong to a gym where they might have somebody who can make recommendations about physical activity and exercise? Or maybe look for some good books for women who are becoming 'middle aged', and want to be as young and healthy and fit as possible.

I hope you find some approaches that work for you!

I've never done the HRT so I don't know. My best friend has been on HRT for about 2 years now and wasn't able to lose any weight. She is totally off it now and she has logged her food into MFP for 2.5 weeks now. She has no weight loss yet either and is very discouraged, but her doctor told her to try it for a month. She is also a very precise/disciplined person (except when she's eating everything in sight!!! ;-)) but I know she's doing a good job now at tracking. I'm waiting to see how this works out for her.
I went on HRT went I was 39. I never felt HRT helped me lose weight, but it helped me maintain. I went off it once in my mid 40’s for almost a year and the weight started to creep on and I just wasn’t feeling great overall, so I went back on it.

Last summer at 50, I started to wean myself off the HRT and as of last week I’m now totally off. But I’ve gained 15 pounds since last summer. Mostly around my middle of course.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter