Taking Winnie on a Wonder Cruise - A February Mexican Riviera Trip - All wrapped up 6/14

Yeah, and they could see that we had a scooter and there wasn't much I could do with the luggage. The worst is that they made us park super far from the luggage drop off part. Had we been able bodied people it wouldn't have been a problem, but she couldn't ride the scooter and move two carry ons while driving the scooter.
This pisses me off, like come on guys
With the amount of that stuff that they make daily they need to just have the regular elbows. I doubt Mickey shaped macaroni bwould cook evenly.
Yup, and probably the "shapes" would get all beaten up and broken.

We will probably not be participating in a lot of excursions, and just generally be mellow and hang out. I need the downtime.
That's the understatement of the year.

When she woke her stomach had a hard lump that wasn't there before. I sent pictures to the doctor and she said, "Go to the ER, now!"
:scared1: Never, ever the words you want to hear from a doctor.

Because of this fistula she developed an e coli infection in her blood and developed sepsis.
So scary! Very thankful they got it under control.

She still has great difficulty moving. Getting out of bed, or even standing up from being seated is difficult. It requires a great amount of effort on her part. You have to give her kudos for not giving up!
Absolutely! I'm sure the temptation was very great.

Here we were days before the cruise, and I thought we were basically ready to go. Then Fran started with her lists. We left on a Saturday and Thursday morning, I woke up to find that Fran had written a list overnight. It was written on a college ruled notebook, and it was three columns long!
:faint:
Well five or so years later, they had a whole official list of what they were looking for.
I'm sure. Plenty of little details that don't affect anything.

According to my fitbit, I got to sleep at 1:37AM and was up at 6:09AM.
That sounds horrifying.

This was a total challenge. We had four full sized suitcases, two official carry ons, my purse, her medical bag, a case of water, the bag of our wine bottles, and the bag of candy. I was able to stuff a bunch of that into the scooter bag once I unloaded it out of the car. But once she was on the scooter with the water on her floorboard, and the medical bag over the tiller, we still had the four suitcases, two carry ons, and my purse. It was too much for us to wrangle alone.
Holy cow. Imagine if you had kids tagging along!

I realized later that it was probably the boxes of hypodermic needles that I had in there.
:rotfl:"Oh, that? It's just for the heroin, no big deal."

It was slightly surreal to be sitting there on a cruise ship after all we had been through.
I bet you were willing to keep going with it!

I figured I wouldn't be having a lot of veggies over the next week, and I was right.
Welcome to the club! I say this at the start of every vacation.

Or morning.
I went with the Sliced Roasted Beef Sirloin. I can't tell you how good this was! I'm not sure if it was because I was on the ship and about to spend an entire week NOT having to cook my own meals, or what, but I almost finished it off completely, and it's rare that I am even close to being a member of the clean plate club. The potato was really good too, the green beans were a little too al dente for my taste.
Everything tastes better when you don't have to cook, right? That's one of Julie's favorite parts of vacation.

This pisses me off, like come on guys
I know. We would have been fine if they had us stop at the back of the drop off area, but a bunch of people pulled out just before we pulled in so they made us go to the farthest end of the drop off, probably 30-40 meters from the point where you turned in the luggage. To move her and the six rolling bags in the pouring rain was nearly impossible.
Yup, and probably the "shapes" would get all beaten up and broken.
And then it would be dismembered Mickey pasta. I bet that didn't even make it out of the test kitchen! :laughing:

That's the understatement of the year.
:rolleyes1
:scared1: Never, ever the words you want to hear from a doctor.
I was trying to think of something equally as bad, but couldn't.
So scary! Very thankful they got it under control.
Yeah and to think that the one doctor was willing to send her home like that again. At least the surgeon stepped in and said, "NO, we're going to fix it."
Absolutely! I'm sure the temptation was very great.
Yes and no. She pretty much wanted to mostly stay in bed, but just the fact that she got on the ship meant she had to try. By the 4th day she was starting to hate the room.
I'm sure. Plenty of little details that don't affect anything.
Well that's what I'm hoping. There were lots of things like "walls must be in good condition with no peeling paint, chips, holes, or exposed framing." Things like no vermin, and other things. My biggest fear was the garages since you can't have your cra- er precious items in there.
That sounds horrifying.
Not very different from every other night before vacation. It's those darn lists of Fran's at the last minute.
Holy cow. Imagine if you had kids tagging along!
Well at least I could have put them to work moving the bags!
:rotfl:"Oh, that? It's just for the heroin, no big deal."
Preloaded heroin shots! That might be a hit!
I bet you were willing to keep going with it!
It was worth a shot!
Welcome to the club! I say this at the start of every vacation.

Or morning.
:lmao: I'm not a Galactic Salad Dodger or anything, but it just seems that I never eat enough veggies on vacation. Probably not at home either, but it's worse on vacation.
Everything tastes better when you don't have to cook, right? That's one of Julie's favorite parts of vacation.
But I'm not that adverse to cooking as long as it's not stressful. Sometimes it's nice cooking when there's no pressure and I'm making something I like. Then again we have eaten almost every meal at home for so long, having everything prepared for me was actually quite appealing.

Hello! And welcome to another franandaj Cruise Trip Report!
Yay!! :)
we love to eat good food
Who doesn’t??
When I checked the price of the cruise in February the price was $2K cheaper than the spring cruise!
Bit of a no brainer there. ::yes::
We will probably not be participating in a lot of excursions, and just generally be mellow and hang out. I need the downtime.
You do. You really do. You both do. :hug:
In case you need a reminder, this is me and Fran in our natural environment.
:wave:
even had one of the last colonoscopies done by hospitals
I thought at first you meant “for ever”
So she named her ileostomy “Winnie” short for “Winnie da Pooh”. :laughing:
Ooohhhhh!!
Wanted to ask about that. Never got up the nerve!
She referred to her entire belly as the “Hundred Acre Wood”.
:laughing:
It was a long period of recovery and after many setbacks, disappointments and just generally tough times,
:hug:
She still has great difficulty moving. Getting out of bed, or even standing up from being seated is difficult. It requires a great amount of effort on her part. You have to give her kudos for not giving up!
100%!
Never in our wildest dreams did we think that almost a year later that we would still be dealing with this, but here we are.
Loooong road. Glad things seem to be getting better
Originally it was scheduled for April of 2020, but we all know how that went.
Nope. Anything important happen? :rolleyes1
I woke up to find that Fran had written a list overnight. It was written on a college ruled notebook, and it was three columns long!
:faint:
Well five or so years later, they had a whole official list of what they were looking for.
Oy. Wonderful.
GFCI outlets are required for all exterior outlets,
Really? Surprised by that.
According to my fitbit, I got to sleep at 1:37AM and was up at 6:09AM.
:sad2:
I had the four cheese souffle, my “go to” at Panera.
That looks good
This was a total challenge. We had four full sized suitcases, two official carry ons, my purse, her medical bag, a case of water, the bag of our wine bottles, and the bag of candy.
Holy smokes. Big job moving all that.
I took the four suitcases to the front of the drop off area, but there was no one to pick them up from me. The attendants started hassling me about moving the car, but without someone who would take the suitcases, Fran and I couldn't move the rest of the bags.
How about instead of hassling you, lending a hand???
The three of us got the bags out of drop off area, and the guys at the drop off continued to hassle me to move the car.
😡 Help, you jerks! That really ticks me off.
The lot was super close to the port! Even better than last time in 2015. Here’s my view when I emerged from the subterranean parking structure.
That is close! Easy peasy.
They were carefully scrutinizing my carry on in the monitor. I realized later that it was probably the boxes of hypodermic needles that I had in there.
Yeah that’d do it I’d think.
This is what Fran as a pack mule looks like.
But look at that smile! :goodvibes
This is where they serve a plated lunch (as opposed to the buffet) which we all prefer.
Me too.
Fran looked around and said, “I’m not in the Hospital!”
:goodvibes So happy it’s worked out for you both.
Here's the menu.
I see a few things I’d order.
Fran couldn't decide between the two soups so she got both.
Smart gal. ::yes::
The Gumbo was the clear winner because the Leek and Potato had almost no flavor.
I’m not surprised by that at all.
This wouldn't be the first time she would be served on a divided plate.
Don’t get this? Why?

When we left off we were on our way to the staterooms. As we made our way to the room, we passed our four suitcases in the hallway. I pointed out that ours were the ones with the pink bandanas tied on and one of the attendants followed us with them, so we had our luggage right away!

z23WC0225ED16.jpg

z23WC0225ED17.jpg

Now I forgot to take a picture of the bathroom, but the interwebs are so accommodating I was able to find one!

bathroom.jpg

z23WC0225ED18.jpg

Our view off the verandah

z23WC0225ED20.jpg

z23WC0225ED21.jpg

Now looking at the photos above we had a big surprise. Back in 2015 we had this same stateroom and it was quite different. Here’s the pictures from back then. See the wall separating the bed from the couch, and that door in the back, that was the “house elf” room. Those were all gone in the dry dock, I guess.

DSCN6541.jpg

This is what the bathroom looked like the last time, the shower was off to the right and it was huge. There was also a bathtub.

DSCN6550.jpg

The plan had been to change the wound dressing as soon as we got to the stateroom and get that overwith for today but she had other plans. Fran went right to sleep. So I started to put our clothes away in the closet and drawers.

z23WC0225ED19.jpg

I had to wake her up for the muster drill. As soon as that was over I got her back into bed and went to the spa. This is the Alone Time Villa.

z23WC0225ED22.jpg

First you begin with the foot washing ritual.

z23WC0225ED23.jpg

Then you get to spend about half an hour in the spa. I love doing this as we sail away. Next is your choice of a 50 or 75 minute massage. I went with 50 minute Swedish, but you could also choose Deep Tissue, Hot Stone, or Bamboo.

After your treatment you get some time to relax on a chaise lounge with your choice of tea. It was an awesome way to start off the cruise and got me into a very relaxed mood.

z23WC0225ED24.jpg

Fran didn't sleep much while I was gone, she had to use the potty and couldn't get back into bed by herself, so once I got back I helped her into bed and she was out again.

While she slept I finished unpacking and mixed our chocolates in a 2.5 gallon baggie. Karin and Tom introduced us to this idea. Back when Karin wrote TRs on the DIS, she and Tom would give the cruise CMs European Chocolates and they were very grateful. Evidently that's not something they get a lot of on the ship, nor do they bring it on board themselves, European or US made. I brought classic US candy. Assorted Ghirardelli squares, York peppermint patties, Mini Hershey bars, and one of my favorites, tootsie rolls. Throughout the week I would fill a smaller zip lock bag in my purse and we would pass them out to various CMs we encountered; photographers and the handlers, bartenders, servers, and anyone else who was nice to us when we interacted.

z23WC0225ED25.jpg

Because of the storm that was hitting Southern California, the seas were really choppy. When I finally got her up before dinner, she was super wobbly. Fran thought it was just her, but everyone was feeling it. In fact on my way back from the spa, I felt like I was tipsy, but that glass of wine at lunch was hours ago.

It was so turbulent that Fran actually had to lean her head up against the bathroom wall to steady herself when pulling up her pants. She found that to be humorous and wanted to make sure I added that detail. That ritual continued for all the sea days on the cruise.

We changed the wound dressing and the bag. She has a two piece ostomy bag that we can just remove the dirty bag and put a fresh one on the base that attaches to her skin. We thought that doing that nightly would be more hygienic for being around people every day. At home we empty the bag through the opening at the bottom of the bag and rinse it while it’s still attached, rather than changing it altogether. Normally at home,we let it go for days at a time before changing out the bag itself, but at home it's just the two of us and the cats, and they dont care.

Dinner the first night was at Triton's and was super good. Fran seemed genuinely happy to be among friends and enjoying good food.

z23WC0225ED26.jpg

z23WC0225ED27.jpg

Bread Service

z23WC0225ED28.jpg

We both started off with the Iced Lobster and Jumbo Shrimp. Always a solid choice.

z23WC0225ED29.jpg

And we both went with the French Onion Soup, again super tasty!

z23WC0225ED30.jpg

It seems I didn't get a picture of Fran's Entree because I'm pretty sure she went with the Filet. But one great thing about being on a cruise with a lot of friends, Karin was able to provide me a picture of the filet so I could share it with you. Fran’s looked just about like this.

z23WC0225ED32.jpg

I had the rack of lamb. It was a little overcooked for my taste, but it was still good. I was just getting full. The potatoes were super good too!

z23WC0225ED31.jpg

Lastly I had to order two of the Grand Marnier Souffles. Normally I order them sequentially, but it was late and our large party was already closing down the dining room.

z23WC0225ED33.jpg

We came back to the room to find this clever towel animal.

z23WC0225ED34.jpg

And then we hit the sack. With only three hours sleep, no naps for me, and glasses of wine, and more food than I normally eat in one day, maybe even two, I was ready for some sleep.

Unfortunately it wasn't really meant to be.

Who doesn’t??
Well I actually know some people who think of food as nothing but sustenance and don't really care what they eat as long as it checks off the nutritional boxes. Weirdos.
Bit of a no brainer there. ::yes::
::yes::
You do. You really do. You both do. :hug:
:grouphug:
I thought at first you meant “for ever”
Nah, just for the dark times.
Ooohhhhh!!
Wanted to ask about that. Never got up the nerve!
I thought I made it clear that's where she got the name!
Loooong road. Glad things seem to be getting better
Still a loooooong road until we're out of this.
Nope. Anything important happen? :rolleyes1
Perhaps you folks in Canada missed it... :rolleyes1
Really? Surprised by that.
Well you know we live in such a wet climate, they're afraid it will create an electrical hazard.
That looks good
It is, but you have to get there early, they sell out often.
Holy smokes. Big job moving all that.
Had it been a normal sunny day, it would have been no problem, but I think she was also holding an umbrella.
How about instead of hassling you, lending a hand???
😡 Help, you jerks! That really ticks me off.
I have a feeling that it's written in their contracts that they can't touch the bags. They were traffic/security and I'm guessing only unionized baggage handlers are allowed to touch the bags. In fact I'm sure that it comes down to something as stupid as that.
That is close! Easy peasy.
It sure was! If we sail out of there again, which I'm sure is a distinct possibility, we will choose that location for parking.
Yeah that’d do it I’d think.
Which is why I made sure to keep them in their prescription boxes all nice and tidy.
But look at that smile! :goodvibes
I know she did seem happy to be on an adventure!
:goodvibes So happy it’s worked out for you both.
Me too. Not sure if she enjoyed being out as much as I did, but I think she did.
I see a few things I’d order.
I would hope so! It was a pretty good menu!
I’m not surprised by that at all.
Yeah Gumbo certainly has more flavor!
Don’t get this? Why?
She ordered off the kids menu. Evidently even if an adult orders it, the meal is served on a kids plate (divided serving spots). She ordered other kids meals on this trip.

Last edited:

This room is MASSIVE!!
As is this balcony!
Back in 2015 we had this same stateroom and it was quite different. Here’s the pictures from back then. See the wall separating the bed from the couch, and that door in the back, that was the “house elf” room
It does make it look for open, but I bet the elf house was kinda cute
"Heaven, I'm in heaven"
So this is a private little room?
I went with 50 minute Swedish, but you could also choose Deep Tissue, Hot Stone, or Bamboo.
Ohh choices, choices!
It was an awesome way to start off the cruise and got me into a very relaxed mood.
What a fantastic way to start!
mixed our chocolates in a 2.5 gallon baggie.
Oops mis-quoted, but whatever. What a great idea I might have to steal!
one of my favorites, tootsie rolls.
Yum, I love tootsie rolls!
Yum, I love that dark chocolate mint one
It was so turbulent that Fran actually had to lean her head up against the bathroom wall to steady herself when pulling up her pants. She found that to be humorous and wanted to make sure I added that detail
Thanks Fran :rotfl2:
Fran seemed genuinely happy to be among friends and enjoying good food.
Yay this is great to hear, been hard on you two
I guess the lamb does say it's cooked medium, I wonder if you could request more rate?
Rack of lamb is one of Maria's favourite nice dinners
I feel like on our cruise the bread and butter/accompaniment changed every day? did they have something other than butter balls?
astly I had to order two of the Grand Marnier Souffles. Normally I order them sequentially, but it was late and our large party was already closing down the dining room.

z23WC0225ED33.jpg
is that a pour of Grand Marnier behind? :drinking1

Cliffhanger!! popcorn:🍿:

Can't wait for more!

Might be a little more to read by the time you get back. :rolleyes1
And now I’m all caught up. :)
As we made our way to the room, we passed our four suitcases in the hallway.
Did you wave? :wave:
I pointed out that ours were the ones with the pink bandanas tied on and one of the attendants followed us with them, so we had our luggage right away!
How’s that for service? :)
See the wall separating the bed from the couch, and that door in the back, that was the “house elf” room. Those were all gone in the dry dock, I guess.
Went back and looked. Might not have noticed.
Fran went right to sleep
I bet. After not much activity for such a long time, that’s a very full day
This is the Alone Time Villa.
Nice
After your treatment you get some time to relax on a chaise lounge with your choice of tea. It was an awesome way to start off the cruise and got me into a very relaxed mood.
I bet it did!
Back when Karin wrote TRs on the DIS, she and Tom would give the cruise CMs European Chocolates and they were very grateful
Ohhhh. Was wondering.
Throughout the week I would fill a smaller zip lock bag in my purse and we would pass them out to various CMs we encountered; photographers and the handlers, bartenders, servers, and anyone else who was nice to us when we interacted.
I like that. :)
In fact on my way back from the spa, I felt like I was tipsy, but that glass of wine at lunch was hours ago.
On side of bottle “warning. 150 proof”
It was so turbulent that Fran actually had to lean her head up against the bathroom wall to steady herself when pulling up her pants. She found that to be humorous and wanted to make sure I added that detail.
And you did!
Fran seemed genuinely happy to be among friends and enjoying good food.
I’m sure she was. :)
We both started off with the Iced Lobster
Never had it “iced”. Huh.
And we both went with the French Onion Soup, again super tasty!
My definite go to. ::yes::
I had the rack of lamb.
I’d have chosen that too.
Lastly I had to order two of the Grand Marnier Souffles. Normally I order them sequentially, but it was late and our large party was already closing down the dining room.
Knew you liked those
We came back to the room to find this clever towel animal.
Crab!
I was ready for some sleep.

Uh oh…

The embarkation lunch was one of the better meals as well as dinner that night! The ship was rocking as we left port and it continued all night as the captain tried to get to better weather.

Jill in CO

:tiptoe:

MIA lately and late to this party.
Thanks @bobbiwoz for clueing me in.

So sorry to read that Fran hadn't been well. I haven't been on socials much so I've missed out on all the news. Please send her my love.
Looking forward to reading more.

princess::upsidedow

Yea! You are back on the boat. So very happy to see a trip report from you. You guys have definitely had a rough year, er three, and deserve a bit of pampering and relaxation.

Smiles, Kate

This room is MASSIVE!!
It's because it's an accessible room. People who don't need them often book them just because they're big.
As is this balcony!
I never ended up sharing it with anyone, it was either too cold or just didn't work out.
It does make it look for open, but I bet the elf house was kinda cute
It was a cool place to store the empty suitcases and any loot we picked up along the way.
"Heaven, I'm in heaven"
So this is a private little room?
It's called a "Spa Villa". There are two for couples and this one is for singles.
Ohh choices, choices!
I know! I didn't want a deep tissue, I just wanted to relax, hot stones make me warm for a few days, and the bamboo, while intriguing, cost extra. I was happy with the Swedish massage.
What a fantastic way to start!
Totally relaxing. It's been my cruise kickoff method om the Wonder for a while now.
Oops mis-quoted, but whatever. What a great idea I might have to steal!
The CMs faces light up when you give them chocolate! The gal in the Cove Cafe did a happy chocolate dance every day when I gave her some. The Last day I passed it out willy-nilly in an effort to get rid of it.
Yum, I love tootsie rolls!
They are surprisingly good for something so simple! When Fran asked for some of the candy, it was always the tootsie rolls. An Irish gal was intrigued when I handed her some. She said, "I have heard of these!"
Yum, I love that dark chocolate mint one
I saved a couple of those as well as some Milk Chocolate Caramels.
Thanks Fran :rotfl2:
She's a giver.
Yay this is great to hear, been hard on you two
Yes it has been quite the ordeal.
I guess the lamb does say it's cooked medium, I wonder if you could request more rate?
I don't think you can order it any other way. That's why it says "cooked medium" on the menu.
Rack of lamb is one of Maria's favourite nice dinners
She has good taste.
I feel like on our cruise the bread and butter/accompaniment changed every day? did they have something other than butter balls?
It did, but the spreads usually involved olives or other such things I don't like.
is that a pour of Grand Marnier behind? :drinking1
Cliffhanger!! popcorn:🍿:

Can't wait for more!
Coming soon! I just need to get through replies.

And now I’m all caught up. :)
Now I can post another update!
Did you wave? :wave:
No, but I gave them a pat on top.
How’s that for service? :)
:thumbsup2:
Went back and looked. Might not have noticed.
We were expecting it so I wondered when I didn't see it.
I bet. After not much activity for such a long time, that’s a very full day
I forget how much driving can take out if you.
Ohhhh. Was wondering.
The CMs really appreciate the sweet treats! The way that their eyes light up when they recognize what you've just given them is priceless.
I like that. :)
It's fun to give them some pixie dust!
On side of bottle “warning. 150 proof”
Even still, I didn't have much.
And you did!
I try to share the things ahe finds amusing!
I’m sure she was. :)
With her you never know, but I think she was enjoying a change of scenery.
Never had it “iced”. Huh.
I'm not sure what they meant by "Iced" but I just copied what was on the menu.
My definite go to. ::yes::
I’d have chosen that too.
I was going to say that we're in sync, but you would have gone with the escargot on the first course.
Knew you liked those
Only one thing better than this on the cruise!
You get a star! :teacher:
Yeah.....

The embarkation lunch was one of the better meals as well as dinner that night!
Yes we started off the trip with some great food! Not that it didn't continue, but the first three meals were probably the best. The rest were just gravy.
The ship was rocking as we left port and it continued all night as the captain tried to get to better weather.
We come to that same conclusion in the next update.

:welcome:
MIA lately and late to this party.
Thanks @bobbiwoz for clueing me in.
That's OK, we're re just getting started!
So sorry to read that Fran hadn't been well. I haven't been on socials much so I've missed out on all the news. Please send her my love.
I haven't really shared anything on socials. I had an ongoing document for friends where I shared her progress (or lack of it), but I've hardly been posting anything online. It was far too depressing for so long. This is the first time we have really done anything in the past year.
Looking forward to reading more.
I've got plenty more all ready to go!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter