Talk DVC with the Dis Dads

Well since you brought it up, sure, explain holding points.

Grrrrr.....:crazy2:

If you cancel a points reservation less than 30 days prior to arrival, those become 'holding points' which have to be used within that UY. They cannot be banked forwards, regardless of the banking window. There is also a restriction on when you can book with those holding points - maybe the last four months of the UY. And, I don't think you can't exchange them for DCL or other collection stays.

I only use points for DVC stays as I think the other uses are not a real good exchange.

Grrrrr.....:crazy2:

If you cancel a points reservation less than 30 days prior to arrival, those become 'holding points' which have to be used within that UY. They cannot be banked forwards, regardless of the banking window. There is also a restriction on when you can book with those holding points - maybe the last four months of the UY. And, I don't think you can't exchange them for DCL or other collection stays.

I only use points for DVC stays as I think the other uses are not a real good exchange.

See, aren't you glad you brought it up? :rotfl2::rotfl2:

My favorite was the Contemporary, and I talked DW into adding on points at BLT. It is still my favorite resort, but we just recently sold the contract. We can still only afford to go to WDW once a year. Adding more points just made us go more often. So, I will hope to stay there one day, but no more DVC points unless i pick up a new career and a lot more money. My plan is to retire to FL in 12 more years.

Hey that is my plan too. Retire in 12 years and spend the winters in FL. I love the PNW summers so trying to come up with a plan to spend summers here and winters there.

My favorite was the Contemporary, and I talked DW into adding on points at BLT. It is still my favorite resort, but we just recently sold the contract. We can still only afford to go to WDW once a year. Adding more points just made us go more often. So, I will hope to stay there one day, but no more DVC points unless i pick up a new career and a lot more money. My plan is to retire to FL in 12 more years.

Hurry up and retire so I have a place to stay when I visit WDW

I was looking at Fidelity and it seems the prices there fluctuate higher then the Timeshare store. Is there an advantage to either one for resale contracts?

theduck619 said:
I was looking at Fidelity and it seems the prices there fluctuate higher then the Timeshare store. Is there an advantage to either one for resale contracts?

I found Fidelitys prices to be lower. Keep in mind what is listed is NOT what you pay. PM me your email and I'll send you a link to a few good sites with info.

Hey that is my plan too. Retire in 12 years and spend the winters in FL. I love the PNW summers so trying to come up with a plan to spend summers here and winters there.

At one point, I thought about adding enough points to stay 3 months during the winter. But, the cost of all those resale contracts and dues leads me to believe a condo may be better - or permanent.

We went thru TSS for all our contracts and they worked well for us. This last one, we posted for sale Oct 15 & the deed was done Dec 17. Then, it was just the final mailings & money.

Day 25

Hoping to hear something soon. I'm getting a little nervous like Disney is gonna take the contract. I really don't want to start back at square one. :scared:

Day 25

Guess what?

Since my last post about an hour ago, I received an email from Fidelity saying we passed ROFR!!!! In a few weeks we will have all the closing documents, and be DVC owners!! :banana::banana:

Now that this is more real, I have another question.

Say at 11 months I book SSR 1 BR at (for examples sake) 150 points- 50 points are current and borrowing 100 points, but I really want to stay at OKW. At 7 months I try to get OKW and it is available but I go for a studio instead and it will cost me 100 points.

What happens to the extra 50 points that I had to borrow to book SSR at 11 months?

Day 25

Guess what?

Since my last post about an hour ago, I received an email from Fidelity saying we passed ROFR!!!! In a few weeks we will have all the closing documents, and be DVC owners!! :banana::banana:

Congrats. That 16K hurts now, but after several trips and you're paying dues only for a week stay at WDW, then it really feels great.

Now that this is more real, I have another question.

Say at 11 months I book SSR 1 BR at (for examples sake) 150 points- 50 points are current and borrowing 100 points, but I really want to stay at OKW. At 7 months I try to get OKW and it is available but I go for a studio instead and it will cost me 100 points.

What happens to the extra 50 points that I had to borrow to book SSR at 11 months?

Once you bank or borrow points, you can't unborrow. You use them or lose them at the end of that UY. We have borrowed 50 points before, changed plans, still used the borrowed points, but banked that UY points forward. The next year, we used those banked points first.

Congrats. That 16K hurts now, but after several trips and you're paying dues only for a week stay at WDW, then it really feels great.
Thanks!! I really look forward to staying DVC.

Once you bank or borrow points, you can't unborrow. You use them or lose them at the end of that UY. We have borrowed 50 points before, changed plans, still used the borrowed points, but banked that UY points forward. The next year, we used those banked points first.

So basically if I switched resorts, I'd use the borrowed points first then bank the current points if there was a difference. Do you have to specify what points you are using or does DVC know to use borrowed points first then use current points?

I've never seen the member site so I'm not sure how the whole process works.

Thanks for the info Norm. :thumbsup2

Thanks!! I really look forward to staying DVC.

So basically if I switched resorts, I'd use the borrowed points first then bank the current points if there was a difference. Do you have to specify what points you are using or does DVC know to use borrowed points first then use current points?

I've never seen the member site so I'm not sure how the whole process works.

Thanks for the info Norm. :thumbsup2

When you book the website, it asks if you want to borrow points. Don't remember banking on website, just on phone. Currently, I can't figure out how to modify a reservation online. When I've called MS, they should know to use the banked/borrowed points first.

Cruises are getting expensive. Just added more points at VGF. Learned a lot about "used points". They did not fit in with our plans. However I was amazed that you could get those points at any resort. You might have to wait list to get the resort or uy that you want. They were much cheaper and still had all the benefits of new points.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter