Tell me about Marriott Grande Vista

KProuty

Mouseketeer
I was overwhelmed with the response to the person about Cypress Harbour. We are going to be staying at the Marriott Grande Vista the week after Thanksgiving. Does anyone have any great insights like they shared about the other Marriott? How long to Disney, pools, kids programs, etc?

Thanks!

Katherine

I've been an owner at Grande Vista since 1998 and this resort excellent. If you like golf this resort is outstanding. Nick Faldo Golf school is onsite , there is a 9 hole golf course onsite and across the the street from the resort is the International Golf Club that is also owned by Marriott. The resort consists of 1,2 and 3 bedroom villas. There are are currently three seperate pool areas located throughout the resort. The largest being the village pool area that has a large U-shaped pool with an interactive waterfountain in the middle for the little one's to play in, also a small lap pool , small kiddie pool , a shamrock shaped wirlpool and a sauna. The other pool areas I believe have a smaller pool with wirlpool and sauna. There is a lake that you can rent various watercraft ( the peddleing kind not motorized) . You can rent family bikes that hold 4 to six people and rollerblades. There is a basketball court and I think 3 tennis courts. They also have a kids program offering something different each day( arts and crafts), trips to disneyquest for the older kids etc. This resort is no more than 10 min fron Disney and Universal and about 5 min if that from Seaworld. I think that's enough for now if you would like more info feel free to e-mail me. You will not be disappointed staying at Grande Vista. Oh ,there is an on-site pool bar and pizza hut/ deli and a convenience store, as well as a full service restaraunt and bar called Nick's in the clubhouse on the golf course.

Thanks so much! If you are a novice at golf, do they give true beginners lessons? (I have never held a club.)

Also, we have stayed at the Yacht Club and the Portofino -- both have excellent pools... as well as other Disney resorts where they all have slides, including the Boardwalk Villas. I am concerned that the pool area won't be up to snuff without a slide. Do they not have one for liability reasons? Cost? Has any owner brought this up?

Katherine

Their server seems to be down at the moment, but here's Marriott's web page on this resort:

Marriott Grande Vista

The resort definitely has an upscale feel, with beautiful tilework everywhere, plush furnishings and a general golf/country club feel about the place. As at Grand Floridian (until recently, I guess), many upscale resorts don't have pool slides. That said, our children really enjoyed a week we spent there (timeshare exchange from another Marriott). They love pool slides too but we visited a water park one day and on other days, they enjoyed the pools, hot tub, and play/splash fountain (squishy sidewalk with water shooting up) at Grande Vista. It was a nice place to spend a week. :)

BOTH are beautiful resorts with excellent (similar) inroom amenities, furnishings and staff. You cannot go wrong with either of these resorts. They are located a few blocks apart and both are secluded from the main traffic streets by nice long entry roads, with 24 hour manned security gates. Here are a couple differences - fairly minor really.

Cypress Harbour:
- all 2-BR's, identical units
- older but very well-maintained
- gorgeous, lush, mature landscaping, nice & shady
- old Florida style buildings (like Disney's Old Key West)
- more fast food onsite (TCBY, Pizza Hut, deli)
- more family resort amenities, extra playgrounds, larger recreation center, etc.
- larger lake, with better marina, fun boat ride across
- attracts families, larger resort

Grande Vista:
- every unit size from studio (for 4) to 3-BR (for 12)
- is and feels newer, Spanish influence to exteriors
- nice landscaping, just not as mature & more sunny
- main pool has spouting fountain paly area for children
- deli near pool, plus sitdown casual dining at Nick's
- nice golf views, reportedly excellent golf onsite
- slightly more sophisticated atmosphere, attracting more adults

There's more similarity than difference between them though and their quality is similar - excellent. I have never known of anyone to have a bad vacation at either. So have fun!!! :)

How does the Grande Vista compare to Vistana? We just stayed at Vistana and are thinking of purchasing there. However, I am hearing a lot of good things about the Grande Vista and I'm having second thoughts...
Thanks!

We've stayed at both. The rooms offer similar amenities among their newer sections. The location and ambiance are the chief differences.

Vistana is better IF:
--- you plan to spend a lot of time at Disney parks
--- you have children of any ages (including teens)
--- you want a lot of onsite family activities, recreation centers and food options.

M. Grande Vista is better IF:
--- you play golf while on vacation
--- you have mostly adults traveling
--- you want an all-newer resort, more plush
--- you want to split your touring time more evenly between Disney and Universal/Sea World/I-Drive attractions and restaurants
--- you want to own within a system (Marriott) that offers great resorts in many excellent locations for internal trading

If you plan to purchase, I hope you will consider resales and save a bundle. Vistana has resales regularly through many different brokers - be sure to buy in the section you prefer. This is the original Vistana resort, not the newer Villages. Marriott runs a resales division as well as there being resales out there by owners and other brokers.

Also, trading in is pretty easy with cheaper resorts outside of Orlando. We got two Vistana 2-BRs via RCI using very inexpensive South Africa timeshare weeks. And we got Grande Vista using an inexpensive mid-season week at another Marriott. We're now selling some of our weeks, so feel free to write me if that interests you. potter@a-o.com

We stayed at the Grande Vista in August 00 and enjoyed it except for one thing.....many kids between 7-10 running unsupervised in the parking lots on scooters after dark. Very loud and disruptive. Thankfully this only happened on the last night (Saturday...which I believe is changeover night for owners). One call to the front desk took care of everything, however.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter