The actual restart date will be....(according to us)...Poll!

We are really cruising in __________now!

• November 2020

• December 2020

• January 2021

• February 2021

• March 2021

• April 2021

• May 2021

• Summer 2021 June-Aug

• Fall 2021 Sept-

Results are only viewable after voting.
questions about foreign countries we visited within the past 14 days
If we think about the restart, I think this will be a sticking point. The cruises starting now continue to ban passengers from Britain and North America because of the ongoing outbreaks. While cruising is beginning now, people from the US are not going to be allowed any time soon, and that is why I think DCL still has quite a ways to go.

Voted February 2021 - we did reschedule our November cruise for April 2021 but I would have no problem pushing that off until 2022, assuming the placeholder discounts remain in place.

I literally track and report that data too. August was the worst month of the pandemic. Took us 6 months to climb to that level. If we decline at the same level we climbed, it will be February before cruise lines can start talking about resuming service. And look at all the essential businesses that have had their employees work remotely that in the past few weeks have decided to shelve even talking about letting workers back in until the first quarter of 2021. I can't see a non-essential business like cruising moving that soon.,

Well, it depends on how you are measuring the pandemic. If you are counting cases, sure, August was the peak in the U.S. If you are counting deaths (which I personally think is a more accurate measure), it wasn't even close - the peak was in April.

But, that is completely irrelevant to why I think cruising will resume. It won't be because the virus is eradicated. The world won't stay closed until the virus is gone, because it could very well be around for the next hundred years, just like the flu from 1918. It will be because life will resume, with our without the virus. Though I do think the incidents of both hospitalizations and deaths will generally continue to decline, further justifying society opening back up. I may be a little optimistic on my short time frame, but it will be by early next spring at the latest.

Well, it depends on how you are measuring the pandemic. If you are counting cases, sure, August was the peak in the U.S. If you are counting deaths (which I personally think is a more accurate measure), it wasn't even close - the peak was in April.

But, that is completely irrelevant to why I think cruising will resume. It won't be because the virus is eradicated. The world won't stay closed until the virus is gone, because it could very well be around for the next hundred years, just like the flu from 1918. It will be because life will resume, with our without the virus. Though I do think the incidents of both hospitalizations and deaths will generally continue to decline, further justifying society opening back up. I may be a little optimistic on my short time frame, but it will be by early next spring at the latest.
Great Britian today announcing a ban on groups larger than 6. As of today I think I am being OVERLY optomistic that cruising will resume in 2021 at all They are talking arrests. "In England from Monday, we're introducing the Rule of 6. You must not meet socially in groups of more than six, and if you do, you will be breaking the law," U.K. Prime Minister Boris Johnson says at a news conference on COVID-19.

We're not assuming someone's health regarding the cough. They actually know who the 80 yr old coughing passenger is who boarded on Jan 20th with active symptomatic Covid and he had contracted Covid while in Shenzhen, Guangdong Province, China on 10 January, then returned to Hong Kong and flew to Tokyo on 17 January to board the ship. He developed a cough on 19 January, but he went onboard the Diamond Princess anyways on Jan 20th because like I said in my previous post they had no outbreak controls until bodies started dropping including this guy who had to be carried off the ship for medical emergency on Jan 25th.

Perhaps the gentleman was a covid-denier just like we see today. They think they don't have it, that it is not serious, not that contagious and that if it's their time to die, it is what it is.

He was not med evac'd from the ship. In fact he did not visit a hospital until 5 days after he disembarked.

@Snowwhyt is correct that norovirus protocol was implemented after the ship was notified of the diagnosis on Feb.1. They QT'd passengers on Feb. 5 and began testing. Passengers were disembarked beginning Feb. 19.

The virus was very new (Japan's first case was confirmed on Jan. 16 in a 30 year old man.) and even being downplayed in most of the world. Why would that first cruise ship think they had to take any extra precautions other than what was usually done for a virus? Did they make mistakes in hindsight, yes, but we all learn in that instance.

The biggest mistake wasn't made by the Diamond Princess, IMO, it was Japan's. Those passengers should have been disembarked ASAP. They didn't want what potentially could be thousands of infected passengers in their city. The exact same situation we will find today if cruising starts too early.

My question to everyone that wants to start cruising ASAP, is what can the cruise line do today that would prevent coronavirus from spreading during your vacation? We don't have a vaccine and may never have. We only have a cleaning protocol. We only have masks, which a lot of cruisers say they will not wear. We appear to have some better treatments, but cruise ships would have to do some remodeling and decrease their number of passengers, thereby increasing the cruise fare to have enough space to QT. But if too many people get sick or some passengers get sicker than can be accommodated onboard, what is the answer? Just as @TestingH2O posted, if you can't find a port that will let you disembark, whether for fun or for the hospital, cruising is not possible, at least for Americans until we can get the virus under control because there will be few countries that want us.

There are a few cruises sailing today with a limited number of passengers. MSC has sailed with 70% occupancy, in the Mediterranean. You must be swab tested and then wait 60-90 minutes to get the result back. They have staggered embarkation times to facilitate this process. There will be social distancing, with about 50% occupancy in some public venues. Cruisers will wear a digital contact tracing wristband. There will be no self-service food stations but at a buffet, staff will prepare your plate. At specialty restaurants they will use QR codes to access a digital menu. They have upgraded HVAC systems and will us UV-C irradiation. They are cleaning, wearing masks and controlling shore excursions.

Carnival Cruise Lines, Costa brand just had a cruise leave Monday visiting Italian ports. Their information lists some of the same protocols as MSC, but they did provide that crew will have been tested and quarantined for 14 days and then will be re-tested every 30 days. They will have repeat performances at shows to accommodate smaller audiences. They are only having seated restaurants.

These may be the cruises of the future, but I'm not sure they are ones I can/want to pay for.

Last edited:
I voted 2022. I really want to be wrong because I really want to go on my Northern European in August 2021 and I don’t know if Disney will extend our 40 percent off from the Panama cruise past summer 2021.

QUOTE="otten, post: 62301122, member: 547386"]
I voted 2022. I really want to be wrong because I really want to go on my Northern European in August 2021 and I don’t know if Disney will extend our 40 percent off from the Panama cruise past summer 2021.
[/QUOTE]

I have a friend who is a retired nurse with 40 years experience who lives in another country. We meet up every few years and go on a cruise. She tells me not to expect anything near normal cruising till 2022.

If you read my previous post, DCL might sail earlier but you're going to have to deal with the safety protocols. The question might be, will you be allowed into Europe?

QUOTE="otten, post: 62301122, member: 547386"]

I have a friend who is a retired nurse with 40 years experience who lives in another country. We meet up every few years and go on a cruise. She tells me not to expect anything near normal cruising till 2022.

If you read my previous post, DCL might sail earlier but you're going to have to deal with the safety protocols. The question might be, will you be allowed into Europe?
[/QUOTE]
As a Canadian I am allowed in many European countries now but also as a Canadian I am under an advisory not to travel anywhere and would be required to isolate for 2 weeks upon return. I won’t be travelling until neither of those things are true.

. The question might be, will you be allowed into Europe?
I agree. People are concerned about staffing the ships and when they will be allowed to resume sailing, but if ships aren't welcome in ports, those don't matter. I just don't think people understand how lax many other nations think our virus control efforts have been.

[/QUOTE]
As a Canadian I am allowed in many European countries now but also as a Canadian I am under an advisory not to travel anywhere and would be required to isolate for 2 weeks upon return. I won’t be travelling until neither of those things are true.
[/QUOTE]

Would you consider cruising on a line other than Disney, because that could be an option for you?

Would you consider cruising on a line other than Disney, because that could be an option for you?

How would that be an option? Another cruise line doesn’t change the fact that I cannot travel to Europe during a pandemic. A different cruise line doesn’t change the travel advisory or the requirement to isolate. Unless this pandemic is significantly resolved by summer, we won’t be going. I hope that Disney would extend or 40 percent off in that case but if not so be it.

Great Britian today announcing a ban on groups larger than 6. As of today I think I am being OVERLY optomistic that cruising will resume in 2021 at all They are talking arrests. "In England from Monday, we're introducing the Rule of 6. You must not meet socially in groups of more than six, and if you do, you will be breaking the law," U.K. Prime Minister Boris Johnson says at a news conference on COVID-19.

As soon as I posted, I knew someone would cite this recent UK policy, which is absurd on its face since pubs are still open (just can't be in groups of 6+ in pubs). Ireland has even harsher policies currently. I still think it doesn't change the overall shifting perspective on moving on with life in Europe. I am trying to avoid getting into specific discussions of policies, since the mods want us to keep the topic to cruising. But the winds are changing and are just starting to change here in the U.S. It's just a matter of time in my opinion. There will be hold-outs, but they will be the exception in a couple of months. Obviously, neither one of us can see the future, so all we have is opinions at this point. We will know which one of us was right eventually.

Looks like NYC is taking a first step back to normal life too: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/09/nyregion/indoor-dining-coronavirus.html

Last edited:
How would that be an option? Another cruise line doesn’t change the fact that I cannot travel to Europe during a pandemic. A different cruise line doesn’t change the travel advisory or the requirement to isolate. Unless this pandemic is significantly resolved by summer, we won’t be going. I hope that Disney would extend or 40 percent off in that case but if not so be it.

I'm thinking it will be an option for you sooner rather than later because Canada is doing so much better than the US and I think your restrictions will be lifted sooner.

I do think, after how bad the Wonder was hit, that DCL will potentially let other companies test the waters first, see what they're doing and how it's going.

So I don't think they'll even sail when others get going.
Especially as they've been very quiet throughout all this, sure, others could just be making noise by putting out their plans or announcing teams, but at least they sound like they're doing something.

I'm thinking it will be an option for you sooner rather than later because Canada is doing so much better than the US and I think your restrictions will be lifted sooner.
I wouldn't bet on it. I'm in Canada too and we are seeing rise in cases again (mostly in the 20-39 age group). I'm in BC, one of the provinces that has been told we have been doing such a "great" job and now our bars and nightclubs have been ordered closed immediately because people can't follow rules. The feeling here is that the Can/US land border will not reopen until after Jan 1 2021 sometime, that the mandatory quarantine will also not be lifted until then and if you have an Alaska cruise booked for 2021, well I hope you have options because I could definitely see the CDN gov't extending the cruise ship ban. They aren't foolin' here.

If we think about the restart, I think this will be a sticking point. The cruises starting now continue to ban passengers from Britain and North America because of the ongoing outbreaks. While cruising is beginning now, people from the US are not going to be allowed any time soon, and that is why I think DCL still has quite a ways to go.
What an embarrassing time to be an American right?!!! Ugh. Maybe we will be the first country to to get immunity because everyone had it. (Joke coming...) but if that’s the case my parents and I are only going to see our next cruise through a pine box.
It’s still my belief DCL will sail in November. I thought the Dream would follow shortly after and my family would sail in January. But now my father who has a transplant was told yesterday he can’t have the Covid shot if it’s available in January because it’s too big a risk yet that other transplant people need to get the shot before him to see what happens. This next part really killed me. Yesterday during his Tele-visit my dads transplant doctor said..... he said..... “Cruises are floating petri dishes!” (That hurt!) he said he wanted everyone in the family to get the Covid shot but him!

We have been so lucky with my dad, 17 years with a transplant. And 3 cruises with good health for the most part. I’m not sure how my dad feels now, have to let him think about this a while. So now even though I’m pretty sure we will have cruising by then, ugh, now we can’t go. But doctor said maybe he can get a shot for our May cruise.
Looking forward to the sailing response for those first on deck though.

I wouldn't bet on it. I'm in Canada too and we are seeing rise in cases again (mostly in the 20-39 age group). I'm in BC, one of the provinces that has been told we have been doing such a "great" job and now our bars and nightclubs have been ordered closed immediately because people can't follow rules. The feeling here is that the Can/US land border will not reopen until after Jan 1 2021 sometime, that the mandatory quarantine will also not be lifted until then and if you have an Alaska cruise booked for 2021, well I hope you have options because I could definitely see the CDN gov't extending the cruise ship ban. They aren't foolin' here.

Those quick actions help to control the virus, which is a good thing. Here in the US, there are no actions when they see an increase. Inaction just causes this to last longer and longer.

Just think, if Canada and the US would work together and knock the virus down to a containable level, I could make my RV trip to Nova Scotia and you could go to WDW! DCL might even be able to do a few cruises.

I voted for April. I normally book a cruise as soon as date opens up (more or less). No way rushing to book any cruise anytime soon. I doubt we will be cruising before 2022 or 2023 :( (We had Alaska cruise tour for June 2020 :( ).

Those quick actions help to control the virus, which is a good thing. Here in the US, there are no actions when they see an increase. Inaction just causes this to last longer and longer.

Just think, if Canada and the US would work together and knock the virus down to a containable level, I could make my RV trip to Nova Scotia and you could go to WDW! DCL might even be able to do a few cruises.
Completely agree!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter