The DVC Members waiting on Gold AP to go on sale

Following the thread, too. I have rescheduled, cancelled, and now waitlisted for November 2020 trip, but we didn't renew our AP's because of COVID-19. I'm so confused as to why Disney isn't handling it DVC members differently???

Honestly, because when it comes to WDPR, all guests are the same. Each is unique and they treat everyone the same way when it comes to making decisions,

So, DVC owners are no more or less important than any other group of people out there waiting for AP sales to open up.

I think the math is fairly simple for most cases. Limited capacity at parks - why would disney sell a cheaper per day ticket like an AP, vs the date based limited use tickets? They are dying for revenue and doing the most profitable thing they can do , it’s very simple

I think the math is fairly simple for most cases. Limited capacity at parks - why would disney sell a cheaper per day ticket like an AP, vs the date based limited use tickets? They are dying for revenue and doing the most profitable thing they can do , it’s very simple

This made me think of another potential reason. There are limits on the use of an AP and they may have decided not to offer something that can’t provide all its features like park hopping, and unlimited use.

Lots of current AP holders..especially those local..are not happy with the 3 day limit so Disney may have decided it wasn’t worth selling it given the limitations.

I’m still ‘lost’ too. I cancelled my October trip and rescheduled for December. I have a trip in April For my birthday and I’d like to book for October 2021 and the 50th anniversary. So, I’d like an AP so I can make park reservations for both December and April.

I’m ok sitting tight right now. Buying a 7-day pass will block me from doing anything for April until December anyway and I’m not one for a lot of ADRs.

This made me think of another potential reason. There are limits on the use of an AP and they may have decided not to offer something that can’t provide all its features like park hopping, and unlimited use.

Lots of current AP holders..especially those local..are not happy with the 3 day limit so Disney may have decided it wasn’t worth selling it given the limitations.
Also, the AP allotment of Park availability is pretty low. July is sold out. August has no Saturdays and only 2 Sundays with only availability at Epcot.

I’m not sure if they will sell APs that people can’t use right away.

I'm so confused as to why Disney isn't handling it DVC members differently???
They don’t have to cater to DVC, inherently, we are already committed to visiting. Whether we get to buy APH is at their whim

I’m hoping they don’t decide to pull our discounted APH perk

They don’t have to cater to DVC, inherently, we are already committed to visiting. Whether we get to buy APH is at their whim

I’m hoping they don’t decide to pull our discounted APH perk

there are many of us waiting for AP for 2021. I would think they could at least cover that timeframe. I have three 2021 trips booked with no tickets. So I’m stuck in limbo.

I mean they could offer a hotel stay specific AP. It could be a new tier that only has access when you are staying onsite. This possibly gets more rooms filled as well.

there are many of us waiting for AP for 2021. I would think they could at least cover that timeframe. I have three 2021 trips booked with no tickets. So I’m stuck in limbo.
I’m with you! DH keeps asking me what I’ve booked for next year...nothing. Which is so unlike me. Have banked points galore, again so unlike me lol

Cancelled a cruise & 2 WDW trips this far (& worries possibly 3 more this year). the wind has gone out of my sails but figure DVC availability issues may be quite challenging next spring going forward

I’m with you! DH keeps asking me what I’ve booked for next year...nothing. Which is so unlike me. Have banked points galore, again so unlike me lol

Cancelled a cruise & 2 WDW trips this far (& worries possibly 3 more this year). the wind has gone out of my sails but figure DVC availability issues may be quite challenging next spring going forward

well we sure do think alike. I canceled everything for 2020 — 5 WDW trips (2 were backups of the first 2 trips canceled). Dcl canceled my April cruise. I canceled both my September cruises (b2b) before the PIF dates. I also moved my January 2021 cruise to April 2021 (but don’t think that will happen). Like you i Have banked points to use by March 31 (318). Starting my 2021 year with over 1200 points..... I keep booking trips and they seem to keep getting canceled. I booked 3 weeks at Bwv for Jan/feb to burn through the banked points. My back up is to book HH in feb/mar and invited my kids and family to visit. At least the drive would be doable (9 hours). So frustrating.

Getting close to calling it for any family trip next year and possibly just consolidating everything to a single couples trip as we have points that will expire.

I’m so annoyed with the situation, like most on here.

I visit from the U.K. and normally spend 14 days plus onsite per trip and tend to make two trips in a 12 month period so purchase an annual pass to cover both trips. My AP ran out last year and having cancelled my Jan 21 trip, I’m now booked for April 21 and planning to go in early 22. Yes, I could buy a U.K. 14 day ticket but they are only valid for travel in 2021 and who knows at the moment if that will be possible in the end, so if I purchase and aren’t able to go then in theory I could lose the price of that ticket. A 9 day ticket won’t allow me to book reservations for my 15 day trip in April 2021, so there’s no point buying that either.

i know that it’s a long way off, but I just want to be able to buy some annual pass vouchers for me and my family and make my park reservations in the hope that we can actually travel over in April.

I just feel that yet again, Disney are making decisions with only profit in mind. We’ve paid and are committed to paying year on year to make our trips and (although I know they won’t) Disney should be taking account of that with something so simple as allowing Gold AP sales. I can’t see why - if indeed they are worried about 2020 availability - they can’t offer an AP with activation restricted until 2021, or later in 2020. The fact they could But aren’t leads me to believe they want to have people buying the multi day tickets on each trip rather than making the saving with an AP.

Anyway, here we are waiting and hoping. Hopefully we get more news soon.

Rant over 😂

- they can’t offer an AP with activation restricted until 2021, or later in 2020. The fact they could But aren’t leads me to believe they want to have people buying the multi day tickets on each trip rather than making the saving with an AP.
If I can't buy an AP I just won't go into the parks. There's no way I'm buying multi-day tickets for each visit. I typically do a long weekend every 6-8 weeks so separate tickets for each trip is out of the question.

Last edited:
So...is Disney allowing folks to renew passes? DvC folks as well as locals? Then many DVC folks can just renew, no? Unless you do the 2 trips on 1 pass (11.5 months apart) and let it expire and then wait a year to buy new pass and do 2 trips. We first bought an AP around 2011 and started off using that plan. Then we kept adding DVc points and wound up doing 3 to 4 trips in 12 months so we started having to just renew. Then last year we sold off points and are selling more now with plans to go back to the 1 trip a year. Therefore we didn't renew our AP when they expired in the fall. I think the mouse is closing the loophole, as I call it. Anytime we find a little trick to save money at Disney the mouse shuts it down. I think they are trying to shut down the 1 new pass every other year trick. Sucks but I get it. Its a business looking to make money so they're not going to make tricks/loopholes easy for customers.

So...is Disney allowing folks to renew passes? DvC folks as well as locals? Then many DVC folks can just renew, no? Unless you do the 2 trips on 1 pass (11.5 months apart) and let it expire and then wait a year to buy new pass and do 2 trips. We first bought an AP around 2011 and started off using that plan. Then we kept adding DVc points and wound up doing 3 to 4 trips in 12 months so we started having to just renew. Then last year we sold off points and are selling more now with plans to go back to the 1 trip a year. Therefore we didn't renew our AP when they expired in the fall. I think the mouse is closing the loophole, as I call it. Anytime we find a little trick to save money at Disney the mouse shuts it down. I think they are trying to shut down the 1 new pass every other year trick. Sucks but I get it. Its a business looking to make money so they're not going to make tricks/loopholes easy for customers.

that’s how my daughter and her family do it. Not us, we usually renew and had planned to. But with the extension my husbands pass expired 8/23/20 and our next hopefully trip is January 2021. I was not going to renew for a pass and only get 8 months out of it. so we planned to buy new vouchers, but was waiting for the refunds. Guess our timing stinks.

Yes, people can renew. I was surprised they didn’t open up sales but then again, there are so many unhappy AP holders now with the limitation, maybe they just didn’t want to keep selling because we know they don’t ever lower prices!

No luck with guest services. We bought five day tickets planning to upgrade. Only used two days. They noted our account when they go on sale to apply the difference. If they don’t I’ll call Disney and fight for the three days to be extended.

Can passes be upgraded at this time? Visiting with a Gold Pass in August, but plan on returning in December - so was going to upgrade while at WDW.

Not currently... No AP sales or upgrades at this time. My visits match yours Aug/Dec. Im starting to worry I won't be able to upgrade to Platinum for our Dec trip. Not sure if this means we shoukd cancel Aug so we don't activate the passes...

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter