The Genie Usage, Tips and Strategy ONLY Thread

for instance, you have an Epcot park pass…at 7am book slinky dog at DHS - you’ll likely get late afternoon. you can dither around with that slinky lightening lane until your heart’s content…
You could also change it completely for a different ride at dhs using the modify tactic right?

I tell people to look at the fees for Genie+ and ILL as paying to be able to ride more rides in a day, not as a fee for paying to ride a specific ride. My example is always 7DMT. We chose to buy an ILL for that rather than trying to be part of the stampede for it at rope drop. So while hundreds of other people headed straight for that ride at rope drop, we hit 3 other rides during the first 30 minutes of the park being open and still had time to get over to Frontierland before the park opened to the general public and be near the front of that rope drop. So, is it worth $12 (or whatever the price for 7DMT ILL is on any particular day) to ride 7DMT? No, not for us. Is it worth paying $12 so you can ride 3 other rides during the time you would be waiting in line for 7DMT at rope drop and then ride 7DMT later in the day with no wait? For our family, yes.

As far as FOP and Navi...when we were there in June, our entire group (11 of us) wanted to ride FOP so we bought an ILL for that. Some of the group wanted to ride it twice that day so we did rope drop. The FOP riders in our group were very close to the front of the pack at rope drop. They hustled to the ride. It took about 40 minutes for them to get through the line and ride...and keep in mind, they were very close to the front of the pack. The rest of us split up at rope drop. A few casually walked over to Dinosaur and walked on that that while the rest of us casually walked to Navi and walked on that. In fact, we got off and immediately walked on again. And then we had some breakfast snacks at a nearby stand. And in the meantime, the Dinosaur group walked over and rode Navi which by that point (30 minutes after rope drop) had about a 5 minute wait. We were all sitting on a bench for a few minutes before the FOP group got finished with their ride.

As far as Smugglers and RoTR... I would seriously consider purchasing ILL for RotR. That ride goes down frequently and often for over an hour at a time. When we were there in June, it was down for 2+ hours starting about 15 minutes before our return time on our ILL. When it was up and running again, they didn't reopen the standby line for another 30 minutes or so because there was such a huge back-up of ILL holders (I felt bad for the CMs who had to constantly be telling guests they could not get in line nor could they start a line 10 feet away from the Stand By entrance). When the standby line did reopen, the wait time was 2.5 hours and after talking to someone later that evening, it was truly close to a 2.5 hour wait. Smugglers Run still had availability throughout the morning (with afternoon/evening return times) when we were there in June. My daughter was there on Monday and she scheduled SR at 11:00 and got a return time of 12:30 (that will vary depending on crowd levels obviously). She and her friends also rode it via the single riders line later that afternoon and had no wait -- walked right on. They were a group of 4 and knew they wouldn't get to ride together that time but it worked out that 2 of them rode in one vehicle and 2 rode in another. They were pleasantly surprised by that.
Thank you. I am slowly working on him with getting ILL. It isn't really the fee for it rather then the principle that you have to pay. I have a bit of time to still work on him with it. First was getting him to just understand Genie +. I am pretty sure I got that far. Will continue on the rest. Your suggestion will help.

Question for our third day. This day we are going to MK. We get there at rope drop and then leave after the parade. Both of my kids are marching in the parade. We plan on doing Adventureland, Frontier land, Liberty Square and maybe some of Fantasy land. We will be back to MK for another full day (with the deluxe evening hours).

I am thinking my priority for this day, for LL, should be Jungle Cruise, Pirates, Haunted Mansion and the parade. The kids are marching in the later parade. The school told us Disney said they would be marching at 2:30. I am guessing this is for the 3pm parade. Does the LL for the Parade go fast or can I get that more last minute. My plan is to get the LL for the above rides and then sprinkling in others as I can.

Question for our third day. This day we are going to MK. We get there at rope drop and then leave after the parade. Both of my kids are marching in the parade. We plan on doing Adventureland, Frontier land, Liberty Square and maybe some of Fantasy land. We will be back to MK for another full day (with the deluxe evening hours).

I am thinking my priority for this day, for LL, should be Jungle Cruise, Pirates, Haunted Mansion and the parade. The kids are marching in the later parade. The school told us Disney said they would be marching at 2:30. I am guessing this is for the 3pm parade. Does the LL for the Parade go fast or can I get that more last minute. My plan is to get the LL for the above rides and then sprinkling in others as I can.
In my experience the kids that are marching do not march right with the parade but are a 'pre-show' that goes down the parade route before the actual parade starts. Guessing some of this is that the music would clash.

In my experience the kids that are marching do not march right with the parade but are a 'pre-show' that goes down the parade route before the actual parade starts. Guessing some of this is that the music would clash.

Yes. This has been the case when any of my kids have marched at MK with their HS marching band. It is it's own little parade, not part of the scheduled Disney parades.

Am I thinking through this correctly?

Park reservation for MK, tickets are park hoppers.

7 am - book Slinky for a post 2 pm time, HS opens at 8:30

Next booking time would be 10:30 am, at which point I could book something while in MK

If that MK booking was for use right around 10:30, tap in, I could then immediately book my next for HS, stacking into the evening.

Right?

Next booking time would be 10:30 am, at which point I could book something while in MK

If that MK booking was for use right around 10:30, tap in, I could then immediately book my next for HS, stacking into the evening.

Right?
What time is the MK opening in this scenario? If 8:30a, then this works.

Right?
Yep that would work. I did the exact same thing today but started in AK and booked Slinky at 7am for the afternoon. Even though AK opened at 8am they had to wait until 1030a since HS didn't open until 830a and booked one where they scanned right away in AK and then booked the 3rd one in HS right after they scanned in.

We have a group of 6 going soon and plan to use G+. Will we get better return times by booking in parties of 4 & 2 (hoping for similar return times) instead of trying for all 6? We'd like to ride together and didn't know what our best options were.

We have a group of 6 going soon and plan to use G+. Will we get better return times by booking in parties of 4 & 2 (hoping for similar return times) instead of trying for all 6? We'd like to ride together and didn't know what our best options were.
If you want to ride together I would recommend booking as a party of 6. Coordinating return times would be more challenging.

No, just book them all together...much easier and very little, if any advantage to booking the 4 and 2.

Yep that would work. I did the exact same thing today but started in AK and booked Slinky at 7am for the afternoon. Even though AK opened at 8am they had to wait until 1030a since HS didn't open until 830a and booked one where they scanned right away in AK and then booked the 3rd one in HS right after they scanned in.
Thanks!

So it sounds like the post park opening time is based on where you book the first ride, and not the park you have a reservation for.

Does anyone have any experience with how quickly the MK Parade G+ runs out? Trying to determine how much of a priority we need to make it.

Mom will be on a scooter, so I think getting a spot in the G+ area will give her the best viewing experience. (plus it's her first time to Magic Kingdom!)

Does anyone have any experience with how quickly the MK Parade G+ runs out? Trying to determine how much of a priority we need to make it.

Mom will be on a scooter, so I think getting a spot in the G+ area will give her the best viewing experience. (plus it's her first time to Magic Kingdom!)

There is a viewing area near Hall if Presidents for those using mobility aids.

We are going to use G+ for a group of 5 on Weds for the first time. I’ve only purchased an ILL here and there last year, no experience with G+. Is there a “super user” primer baked somewhere in here? I don’t want the basics (I get the concept)- I want to learn about these “stacking” and other tricks. Running out of time and not sure I can read all 257 pages here.

We think we’ll do Epcot/ DHS hop and MK/AK hop the following day. Open to all suggestions
Epcot: GoG is a must. Remy would be nice. Soaring, Test Teack- if we get them, great.

AK: FOP and EE only musts

DHS: Slinky Dog. ROR and MF would be a nice to have.

MK: Space a must. Anything else we get, great. Would like to do a bunch here.

I’m willing to buy 2 ILLs per day if needed as well.

We are going to use G+ for a group of 5 on Weds for the first time. I’ve only purchased an ILL here and there last year, no experience with G+. Is there a “super user” primer baked somewhere in here? I don’t want the basics (I get the concept)- I want to learn about these “stacking” and other tricks. Running out of time and not sure I can read all 257 pages here.

We think we’ll do Epcot/ DHS hop and MK/AK hop the following day. Open to all suggestions
Epcot: GoG is a must. Remy would be nice. Soaring, Test Teack- if we get them, great.

AK: FOP and EE only musts

DHS: Slinky Dog. ROR and MF would be a nice to have.

MK: Space a must. Anything else we get, great. Would like to do a bunch here.

I’m willing to buy 2 ILLs per day if needed as well.
I’m not sure if there is a spot that will give you expect tricks, but I can tell you what I would do.

How many people will you have getting passed at 7am? Epcot then hop DHS is going to propose your greatest challenge. Slinky and Rise both almost always go early, and almost always are totally gone by the time to pick the 2nd LL. If possible I would pair DHS morning with MK night.

I am going to stick with your plan for the moment. I am also assuming your on site. Make sure and purchase genie before 7, 650 or earlier. You don’t want to purchase it at 7 it will delay the first booking.

For MK/AK day at 7am book FOP (ILL) for desired return time. Then book space.
If you book space first you’ll be able to pull almost any LLs all morning at MK except jungle cruise, PP and some meets for pretty quick returns. Ones you’ll def be able to pull are buzz, small world, thunder, dumbo, pirates, haunted mansion. You should be able to get those all in. As soon as you tap into the 2nd tap if there is one pull your next genie.

While doing this watch EE at AK and when it hits your desired return time book it.

I don’t monitor EE often but I don’t think it will be to early when it hits a 2pm return.

AK/MK is not a bad time if PP, Jungle Cruise or Mine train aren’t must dos.

Your wish list for Epcot/DHS is harder and ideally will need 2 or more people booking.

At 7 you need someone to purchase ILL for guardians or VQ, someone to book Slinky, and someone to purchase ILL for rise.

Slinky usually wont last till 2nd LL booking (2hours after park open), it may be that’s a risk IMO. Other issue is since it’s your 2nd park booking right at 7 you need to get an after 2pm return time, so you need to wait like 15/20 seconds and hope it’s after 2. For context we hit it right at 7 and got 1130-1230 yesterday.

But this plan will most likely not yield Remi, you can easily do Sorain at rope drop with limited wait, test track may be an issue.

You could also pick remi over slinky and replace the 7am LL with remi and try for slinky later, and wait stand by for slinky if you don’t get it. If you get remi you maybe able to pull a test track after remi if your time is early enough. Def will be able to get a sorian.

Hope this was a bit helpful. If possible I would pair DHS/AK and Epcot/MK

Last edited:
The DHS/Epcot combo allows us to stay parked and not deal with buses/ parking twice.

The additional twist here is we have an older woman (79) with us so we can’t run and we can’t zigzag/backtrack all over the parks. We have to minimize walking if at all possible.

How close are handicapped parking spaces at the parks to the entrances? How close will
They be for afternoon hopping?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter