*** The Official August 2018 Thread*** - let's have some fun....

I just Googled drive time from where I live to WDW, it would take me 50 hours.

From here to DL is 22 1/2 hours.

I think the problem is that I live too far away from all the fun places!

Where do you live? I just googled and it is 40 hours to WDW and 19.5 to DL for me. I am in Spokane WA. You must be close.

It's encouraging to see all the FPs everyone is getting. My first AK day is 60+2 so hoping for success for FOP for that one. HS isn't til 60+6, +9, and +12 so I don't think those will be a problem. MK and EP are earlier days in our trip. We have 3 AK days, 3 HS days, 2 EP and 2 MK and a MNSSHP. Also we have hoppers and will hope to MK a bunch.

I did my FP yesterday and got everything we wanted. However, we did plan DHS at 60+6, 60+10, 60+12. AK at 60+5, 60+7, 60+13.

I'm really hoping for extended MK hours or extra hours on Sundays. I would also love to see the AK closing time extended. AK was open until 11pm in 2015; it was our favorite day of the trip.

Any guesses on when to expect increased hours...or for that matter, when to STOP hoping for them?

I did my FP yesterday and got everything we wanted. However, we did plan DHS at 60+6, 60+10, 60+12. AK at 60+5, 60+7, 60+13.
My FP day is tomorrow. I see you have a longer stay- we are staying 13 nights and I can't remember if I'm allowed to book beyond 60 + 10 for FP? Is it just dining that's limited to the +10 days? Really hoping I can do all 13 nights/14 days of FP in one go!

My FP day is tomorrow. I see you have a longer stay- we are staying 13 nights and I can't remember if I'm allowed to book beyond 60 + 10 for FP? Is it just dining that's limited to the +10 days? Really hoping I can do all 13 nights/14 days of FP in one go!

It’s not like dining. You can book for the length of your stay mostly. There is some limit but if you have a 14 night get stay you can book fp on any of those days not exceeding the number of tickets you have

Example: if you have a 14 night stay and 7 day tickets. You can book on days 1 2 3 4 5 6 and 13 when your window opens.

There are different rules for AP and multiple stays and stays over 14 days but I’m not familiar with them. Head to the FP QA thread for that info

How did your fastpass booking go?

How did your fastpass booking go?
It's actually tomorrow morning. I believe it's 7:00am? I will definitely report back for others to hear how things go. I always appreciate hearing from others on their experiences. I'm booking 10 days of FP over 13 nights.

Yes 7am. We had some difficulty in the morning -- got a lot of Olaf screen. It was hard to be patient.

Yes 7am. We had some difficulty in the morning -- got a lot of Olaf screen. It was hard to be patient.

I ended up having to do all of my ADRs on the app, couldn't get anything through on the website. I'm hoping to have better luck with FPs, but will be prepared to switch over a lot quicker this time! I still have a week untill FPs.

We use Frog Toggs (2 towels for 4 of us), and we used them A LOT in August 2015. We also had a mister fan, but the fan propeller broke off midway through the trip. The kids would argue on who would get to be in charge of it (probably why it broke). We'll either get a mister fan again or maybe the mini fans you can wear around your neck since they are smaller. We also have some Columbia cooling sleeves that we got at the MN State Fair that we might bring if I can find them...
I remember a few years back when I saw all these people at the MN State Fair with those sleeves, and I couldn't figure out what they were or where they got them. Have you tried using the sleeves? By the way, the Fair is my second favorite place (after WDW).

Last edited:
So, today was my FP day. It went great! No glitches at all (used chrome on my laptop).
Aug 7 (Space Mt. Jungle Cruise, Peter Pan)
Aug 9 (Big Thunder Mt, Jungle Cruise, Space Mt)
Aug 10 (Toy Story, Rock n Rollercoaster, Indiana Jones- don't need a FP but my DD is finally old enough to go on stage so she wants the best seat possible to increase her odds of getting chosen) I could have gotten Slinky Dog, but only in the afternoon. I decided to get TSM in the morning and just rope drop SDD at 7am; we are not super interested in the Alien Saucers due to potential motion sickness.
Aug 12 (Safari, FoP, Everest) Got FoP at 10:45am (I was hoping for an earlier time but was happy to get this ride in the morning)
Aug 13 (Mission Space, Living with the Land, Frozen)
Aug 15 (Slinky Dog, Tower of Terror, Beauty and the Beast)- got SDD for 8:45am
Aug 16 (7DMine Train, Buzz Lightyear, Space Mt)
Aug 17 (Soarin', Spaceship Earth, Mission Space)
Aug 18 (Test Track, Spaceship Earth, Mission Space)
Aug 19 (Journey with Figment, Pixar short films, Frozen)

It was a positive experience for me this morning. Got everything we wanted and near the times we wanted. It does help that we are going on a 13 night trip so have a big booking window.
Good luck August Disers!

I'm really enjoying reading everyone's plans. Here are my current, but subject to change, plans. This trip it will be just my 11 yo daughter and me. We're going about this trip a little different in that we won't have the dining plan and will be doing fewer ADRs. Between the minimal ADRs and only needing to manage the trip around the two of us, versus the whole family, we plan to be a little more carefree with our plans.

8/18 MSP to MCO, arriving at 11:15. Check-in at Poly. Get a Dole Whip and head to HS for a few hours.
8/19 EMM at MK. Late afternoon and evening will likely be spent at the pool and hanging around the resort.
8/20 Epcot. PPO GG. Late lunch at Teppan Edo. Frozen Dessert Party.
8/21 Typhoon Lagoon. We may head to AK or MK for a few hours in the late afternoon/ early evening.
8/22 AK. PPO Tusker House (My very favorite start to a day at Disney! I'll probably never experience Na'vi because I can't give up this tradition.)
8/23 HS. We may use Uber given the 7:00 EMH. 50's PT lunch. Either head to a different park or see Yehaa Bob in the evening. As I'm typing this, I'm regretting not having scheduled HDDMR (love!) for this trip, so I may look at trying to add for this night.
8/24 Sleep in and resort time. 3:00 Pirate's League. Quick Service at MK. MNSSHP.
8/25 We want to end the night at MK, but need to figure out what we'll do earlier in the day.
8/26 Magical Express around 8:30. :sad1:

So, today was my FP day. It went great!

<snip>

It was a positive experience for me this morning. Got everything we wanted and near the times we wanted. It does help that we are going on a 13 night trip so have a big booking window.
Good luck August Disers!

Thanks for sharing your experience. Our window opens tomorrow and your notes give me a heads up that I will likely end up with a later FOP fp than I was planning (our first AK Day is the 14th) and likely needing to roap drop SDD on our first HS day. Really appreciated this!

FP day today (well, at least for the first part of the trip)
Got everything we wanted and easy to change around times, no glitches (Olaf) at all.
Arrive late on Aug 8 - so no FP
Aug 9 - MK Jungle Cruise, BTMR, 7DMT (morning)
Aug 10 - AK KS, EE, Dinosaur (morning would have been able to pick FoP, but was mid afternoon and interfered with our plans)
Aug 11 - Epcot Living with the Land, Soarin, MS (afternoon)
Aug 12 - no FP - Brunch at CG and Savor Sip and Sparkle event at CG in the evening - will need time to digest and recover from food overload
Aug 13 - 7DMT, BTMR, PP - (morning)
Aug 14 - DHS RnRC, ToT, SDD (morning)
Aug 15 - AK KS, FoP, EE (morning)
Aug 16 - DHS ToT, SDD (morning)

part 2 starts on the 21st - so have to wait a few days for booking those.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter