*** The Official August 2018 Thread*** - let's have some fun....

What does everyone do on your first day? Do you go to the hotel and wait for a room text or do you go to the front desk? Do you head straight to the parks?

Who has encountered problems using your tickets or dining plan on your magic bands? On our last trip, we went straight to the water parks, and our bands wouldn't scan, so we had to go to customer service. He had to get on the phone and call someone to get it fixed. It took probably 20-30 minutes and all of our 7 bands had to be slid under the window to him - not a big deal in the grand scheme of things - but when you are itching to go, it's a little annoying. We may do something similar again. Is there anything we should do differently, or is this just what happens?
We don't do packages and never Dining plan so we have rarely encountered issues. It does seem packages sometimes have issues.

First day depends-but we always head to resort first no matter if flying (we will sometimes fly into Sanford) or driving, whether onsite or off. Then depends on time of day what we do next-if room not ready we will have bell services hold stuff and we head off for a meal usually. If early enough in day we arrive will also head to a park for evening-but we have had AP's this past year, so no worries about using a ticket day for just a few hours.

We have headed straight to the parks in the past but usually stopped by the resort first. This time we are taking it easy since we won't be to the resort until around 5pm. Plan on trying Landscape of Flavors at AoA for dinner and just enjoying some pool time. And hopefully trying a frozen Jack and Coke at the pool bar.
Like the way you think...frozen beverage and pool time...

Late to the party just like last year; but we were trying to decide between Disney and a Beach Trip. Decided to do a 3 day weekend at the beach later but while it is still hot. I had already been saving so I got us booked this morning. Our trip actually starts in July but most of it is in August so figured I would post here. We went in August last year; but later in the month. The one thing I said I would do different would be to go earlier in the month. I just had too much to do when we got back getting ready for school to start and all. We have had a bit of a rough year so we're really looking forward to this trip even more than usual.

Last summer was our first trip to Disney in 3 years; but it was short. We had four park days and had to skip Animal Kingdom which we love in order to keep up our tradition of visiting Magic Kingdom twice.

This time we are staying 8 nights. We'll be heading down on the road beginning July 28th. Checking in on July 29th staying at All-Star Movies until August 6th.

Really want to go ahead and do online checkin and customize magic bands and get fast passes; but the website is acting up. Is it acting up for anyone else?

This time we are staying 8 nights. We'll be heading down on the road beginning July 28th. Checking in on July 29th staying at All-Star Movies until August 6th.

We'll be at All Star Movies during that time too! :wave2:

Really want to go ahead and do online checkin and customize magic bands and get fast passes; but the website is acting up. Is it acting up for anyone else?

Website usually has glitches, but keep trying. Clear your browser history and cache. Log out and log back in. Try using the app for FPs at least. You'll want to customize your magic bands and get your FPs ASAP - you're almost 30 days out, and any offsite people will be booking their FPs then. :thumbsup2

What does everyone do on your first day? Do you go to the hotel and wait for a room text or do you go to the front desk? Do you head straight to the parks?

Who has encountered problems using your tickets or dining plan on your magic bands? On our last trip, we went straight to the water parks, and our bands wouldn't scan, so we had to go to customer service. He had to get on the phone and call someone to get it fixed. It took probably 20-30 minutes and all of our 7 bands had to be slid under the window to him - not a big deal in the grand scheme of things - but when you are itching to go, it's a little annoying. We may do something similar again. Is there anything we should do differently, or is this just what happens?

I always check in at the Hotel 1st see if my room is ready even if I'm traveling with a car. So far 90% of the time my room has been ready if I arrive early only twice I had to wait Last year August our POP room wasnt ready till 4 or 5 PM and we just headed to a park, then in September on my arrival day to Akl my room wasnt ready till 11:30am and I arrived after 10:30am.

I don't think I have ever had an issue with my magic band upon arrival or my kids magic bands. They have always worked fine from the start.

We fly in and use ME, so our Magic Bands are scanned at the airport and we've never had an issue with them not working. Our last trip we landed at 8:30 am, pulled into POP at 9:30 and we were walking to the food court when I got a text that our room was ready (9:34am), went up and scanned our room and we were in. I think the only time I went to the front desk during the 12 days we were there was to inquire about going the best way to get to Sea World.

Late to the party just like last year; but we were trying to decide between Disney and a Beach Trip. Decided to do a 3 day weekend at the beach later but while it is still hot. I had already been saving so I got us booked this morning. Our trip actually starts in July but most of it is in August so figured I would post here. We went in August last year; but later in the month. The one thing I said I would do different would be to go earlier in the month. I just had too much to do when we got back getting ready for school to start and all. We have had a bit of a rough year so we're really looking forward to this trip even more than usual.

Last summer was our first trip to Disney in 3 years; but it was short. We had four park days and had to skip Animal Kingdom which we love in order to keep up our tradition of visiting Magic Kingdom twice.

The website is very glitchy at times. Try a different browser. Sign out and back in. Try again in 15 minutes. Both the website and app can be glitchy. I've been in both in the last couple minutes

YES! It's very annoying. We called because we can't choose our magic bands, and they said it should be fixed in a few days (it's not). They said if not, to call back and they would do it. I haven't called back because my kids want to choose their own, and they are all over the place this summer with activities. Then, last night, I clicked on online check-in to see what the options were, and that wouldn't work either.

I always regret not enjoying the resort more on our trips. I am making it a point to spend more time in the pool. I feel like in the heat we will need more downtime than we are used to. We have never been in the Summer.
June was hot and August is worse. I actually said never again in August but here we are thanks to DD. Pool time is definitely a must.

YES! It's very annoying. We called because we can't choose our magic bands, and they said it should be fixed in a few days (it's not). They said if not, to call back and they would do it. I haven't called back because my kids want to choose their own, and they are all over the place this summer with activities. Then, last night, I clicked on online check-in to see what the options were, and that wouldn't work either.
try opening an incognito window- usually does trick for me.

Finally got Pop booked- preferred room- right now 7 nights but may cut to six- the day we fly out right now would be DH birthday. So may go the next am instead. Should have decision made tomorrow. Currently aug 2-9.
Did make a few FP- only thing it available this late is Slinky and FoP. If we want to do either of hose guess we'll do FP an EMH or stay for late EMH.
We also have our 25h wedding anniversary that week. Debating on Cali grill or Narcoosies-haven't been to either...

Hi everyone. I’m Jenn, and my DH and I are coming over from Australia in July as I’m attending and presenting at a couple of conferences in the USA and Canada (I work in research looking at improving the lives of people with dementias).

We are spending the 5 days between conferences fulfilling one of my lifetime ‘bucket list’ items - visit Disneyworld!

So we’ll be there from the 31st July to 5th August. Staying at POP (preferred) from the 31st to the 4th and then transferring over to YC (garden view) for the last night. It’s our 30th wedding anniversary then - so the last night is a special treat.

I’m a long-time Disney fan. Have been to Disneyland multiple times, with the last time in 2007 though. And never made it to DW because it’s just soooo far away from Australia. Since my first conference is in a Chicago and my second in Toronto - Orlando was just on the way this time, don’t you agree? :rolleyes1 :ssst:

This coming trip we arrive pretty late and I may set up car service rather than take DME. We’ll be at an Epcot/HS resort and I plan to walk over and activate annual passes. I booked a FP for SDD on the chance we arrive early enough.

I originally had a Universal night planned, but canceled in favor of Epcot Moonlight Magic.

But, I’ve again re-tweaked our plans to stay 1 1/2 to 2 days/1 night at Universal. The kids love it there and it will be a nice sojourn. After a recent last minute mom/daughter visit (in process of writing first ever trip report), I’m not sure I can be in Orlando and not see Mummy, Kong, or Diagon Alley, myself, and had to figure out how to add a stay back in!

I did cancel Early Morning Magic plans to make this happen, but we are visiting MK again and will still be able to enjoy 7DMT via FP.

Hi everyone. I’m Jenn, and my DH and I are coming over from Australia in July as I’m attending and presenting at a couple of conferences in the USA and Canada (I work in research looking at improving the lives of people with dementias).

We are spending the 5 days between conferences fulfilling one of my lifetime ‘bucket list’ items - visit Disneyworld!

So we’ll be there from the 31st July to 5th August. Staying at POP (preferred) from the 31st to the 4th and then transferring over to YC (garden view) for the last night. It’s our 30th wedding anniversary then - so the last night is a special treat.

I’m a long-time Disney fan. Have been to Disneyland multiple times, with the last time in 2007 though. And never made it to DW because it’s just soooo far away from Australia. Since my first conference is in a Chicago and my second in Toronto - Orlando was just on the way this time, don’t you agree? :rolleyes1 :ssst:
So exciting! We're all here to help if you want tips!

I'm continually getting the Someone ate the page error even though I clear the browser history. Customized the bands just in time. Used the app to book fast passes. Ended up calling in my room request. Hopefully I'll be able to do room check-in online at some point. I tried a different browser, tried clearing the history, tried using an incognito tab like someone else suggested. I did call and tell them about it. The lady said something about clearing out my payment method in my profile. Not sure what that will do; but I will try that after I make the final payment tomorrow.

I'm continually getting the Someone ate the page error even though I clear the browser history. Customized the bands just in time. Used the app to book fast passes. Ended up calling in my room request. Hopefully I'll be able to do room check-in online at some point. I tried a different browser, tried clearing the history, tried using an incognito tab like someone else suggested. I did call and tell them about it. The lady said something about clearing out my payment method in my profile. Not sure what that will do; but I will try that after I make the final payment tomorrow.

I have tried all the same things as you have, including the incognito tab. Nothing worked for me. After I called, they said my issue should be resolved in a few days, but it wasn't, so I guess I'll have to call back too. Let me know if anything changes after you make that final payment. Thanks!

I always regret not enjoying the resort more on our trips. I am making it a point to spend more time in the pool. I feel like in the heat we will need more downtime than we are used to. We have never been in the Summer.

June was hot and August is worse. I actually said never again in August but here we are thanks to DD. Pool time is definitely a must.

We have gone in October and end of August, and I worked there over the Winter - Summer "back in the day"... pool breaks daily are a MUST for us. I would rather be in a pool than miserable, grumpy and sluggish in the parks (basically anyone in the parks between 12-3 is a hot zombie :faint:).

The break really helps to refresh and re-energize. We really don't feel like we miss much. We also have a TL day built in to just chill and stay cool. I think the only park we are not planning to take a midday break in is AK - probably the hottest park because it feels like a jungle. :crazy2: But we have a KRR FP+ and plan to take advantage of A/C as much as possible that day.

We have gone in October and end of August, and I worked there over the Winter - Summer "back in the day"... pool breaks daily are a MUST for us. I would rather be in a pool than miserable, grumpy and sluggish in the parks (basically anyone in the parks between 12-3 is a hot zombie :faint:).

The break really helps to refresh and re-energize. We really don't feel like we miss much. We also have a TL day built in to just chill and stay cool. I think the only park we are not planning to take a midday break in is AK - probably the hottest park because it feels like a jungle. :crazy2: But we have a KRR FP+ and plan to take advantage of A/C as much as possible that day.

I saw someone call the afternoon break a "body break", I think that pool, nap, shower, fresh clothes. Does a body good ;)

I have tried all the same things as you have, including the incognito tab. Nothing worked for me. After I called, they said my issue should be resolved in a few days, but it wasn't, so I guess I'll have to call back too. Let me know if anything changes after you make that final payment. Thanks!

I wish something had changed; but I'm still having the same problems. I was planning start our road trip down the day before and arrive well before 3pm on our first day; but if I can't get an early arrival time in the system, that may change some things for us. I guess I will have to set the grocery order to arrive later in the afternoon. Of course I know check in is officially at 3; but we have always been able to get to our room early when I set the time in the system. Spoiled I guess.
Oh well, the package is paid for so I'm going to celebrate :yay:

Just have to decide how I'm going to deal with our spending/food money. We're not on the dining plan; but we have one table service meal planned. We always do breakfast in the room (bagels, cereal, fruit, milk and juice). Lunches and dinners (except the one TS meal if I keep it) will be from QS places. Last year I loaded two Disney gift cards before we left. Two so my teen could break off from us if she needed to. That worked great and it is easy to keep up with your spending because the balance is on the receipt.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter