The Official Riviera Owners & Info Thread

Try asking your guide if they can make any magic happen. They sometimes can pull rooms from the cash side for your first stay.

Also congrats I am hopeful by next years trip they start offering AP sales again for new DVC Gold Passes since we didn't have any previously.

That is a great idea! Are the cash rooms the same as the DVC rooms at Riviera, do you know?

Yes we were fortunate to be allowed to buy new APs since ours had expired during covid. Even more fortunate to be able to convert them to Gold passes for HUGE savings. Even though we live in the northeast, we prefer to get APs because I just love coming/going as I please to the parks, especially staying around the Epcot resorts.

That is a great idea! Are the cash rooms the same as the DVC rooms at Riviera, do you know?

Yes they are the same room. Basically Disney uses their points to pull inventory and sell them as cash reservations but they are the same rooms anyone else in DVC would stay in.

So basically Disney will at times simply give back the room as a favor to DVC. Its not a guarantee.

Also in this case since the resort is not sold out Disney slowly declares rooms over to DVC members to book so there is roughly 60% or so of the resort right now that DVC members can't book since its not declared yet. As points are sold then Disney slowly declares more rooms.

Yes they are the same room. Basically Disney uses their points to pull inventory and sell them as cash reservations but they are the same rooms anyone else in DVC would stay in.

So basically Disney will at times simply give back the room as a favor to DVC. Its not a guarantee.

Understood. Thank you for your help, I will reach out and see what happens.

Also in this case since the resort is not sold out Disney slowly declares rooms over to DVC members to book so there is roughly 60% or so of the resort right now that DVC members can't book since its not declared yet. As points are sold then Disney slowly declares more rooms.

Member Services will generally only do this for your "welcome home" stay (first stay after becoming a member) and only if you call member services to make your reservation.

I absolutely love the idea of the tower studio for my wife and I. It is perfect for our 3 day weekend trips. The deluxe studios are fantastic with the 2nd full bathroom when we're with our kids and even when we bring the MIL. The splash/pool area is amazing and our kids are just so excited to play there.

Since you enjoy the smaller accommodations you'll be able to stretch those 125 points nicely!
Welcome Home!

I have been on the fence for a little bit about buying DVC at Riviera. We have been inching slowly closer to buying Riviera direct but now that we know about the price increase we are almost sure we are going to. I just feel crazy buying it without having toured Riviera at all. We stay at CBR so we have swung through on the Skyliner on our way to EPCOT but that is it.

I am going to go read this thread now to see if it helps me feel ready to plunge into DVC!

I have been on the fence for a little bit about buying DVC at Riviera. We have been inching slowly closer to buying Riviera direct but now that we know about the price increase we are almost sure we are going to. I just feel crazy buying it without having toured Riviera at all. We stay at CBR so we have swung through on the Skyliner on our way to EPCOT but that is it.

I am going to go read this thread now to see if it helps me feel ready to plunge into DVC!

I would just say that plenty of members on this forum were actually "never ever" and actually ended up buying.

For what its worth after doing room tours at every resort just in the last two weeks we are both sure that Riviera is one of the best resorts at WDW and for me personally its my top resort followed closely by Boardwalk.

The largest negatives typically will be:
  • Resale restriction
  • Point Charts
  • Location (aka Skyliner instead of boat/walking/monorail)
Resale Restriction
This only impacts you if you sell. Most people will outline you will sell but in reality we don't know what this will do in 20/30/40 years time. In addition you can do the math today on the lost potential. While contracts are selling for more do a cost prediction based on SSR's selling price. You will notice while there is value lost its not so drastic that you worry about it when you eventually sell.

In addition I would add if you end up loving Riviera it might actually be a positive because you can pick up points for less. Various people only ever stay at one resort every year and while there are some downsides I view it as a potential cost savings measure later.

In my case I got 300 points at $155/point so the math even when I go to sell in the future really was a wash when I consider I am getting a larger upfront discount over the other resorts buying direct (wanted the blue card).

Point Charts
This is really hit or miss but realistically you are looking at a point chart that normally is going to be a little more than BLT but less than VGF or POLY. In 20 years times I would expect places like BWV and BCV to shoot past Riviera and leave Riviera as a "deal" for an Epcot resort. There is also nothing stopping me from trying to switch at 7 months to a lower cost offering at times to save some points.

While it does get Epcot access there is pushback because at times the Skyliner will go down. Now this is more likely during summers due to weather but we don't really have enough information as based on reports during when it was open this last late summer it never had too much issue.

Not being able to walk is a downside but the always moving Skyliner is a benefit in its own right. So while it can get backed up at times it is something you can plan for to avoid the peak rush things like just lining up earlier in the morning, leaving the park a little early or meandering a little longer at park close possibly grabbing dinner. If you are trying to get to Epcot opening and its backed up just go to HS and grab the boat or if you are leaving at HS closing just go over to Epcot and Skyliner from there.

The one thing our latest trip reminded me is that transportation can always be a little hit or miss but with Skyliner (unless its down for weather) you are going to see continual loading instead of waiting for a bus, boat, or monorail that you are not sure where it is.

I would just say that plenty of members on this forum were actually "never ever" and actually ended up buying.

For what its worth after doing room tours at every resort just in the last two weeks we are both sure that Riviera is one of the best resorts at WDW and for me personally its my top resort followed closely by Boardwalk.

The largest negatives typically will be:
  • Resale restriction
  • Point Charts
  • Location (aka Skyliner instead of boat/walking/monorail)
Resale Restriction
This only impacts you if you sell. Most people will outline you will sell but in reality we don't know what this will do in 20/30/40 years time. In addition you can do the math today on the lost potential. While contracts are selling for more do a cost prediction based on SSR's selling price. You will notice while there is value lost its not so drastic that you worry about it when you eventually sell.

In addition I would add if you end up loving Riviera it might actually be a positive because you can pick up points for less. Various people only ever stay at one resort every year and while there are some downsides I view it as a potential cost savings measure later.

In my case I got 300 points at $155/point so the math even when I go to sell in the future really was a wash when I consider I am getting a larger upfront discount over the other resorts buying direct (wanted the blue card).

Point Charts
This is really hit or miss but realistically you are looking at a point chart that normally is going to be a little more than BLT but less than VGF or POLY. In 20 years times I would expect places like BWV and BCV to shoot past Riviera and leave Riviera as a "deal" for an Epcot resort. There is also nothing stopping me from trying to switch at 7 months to a lower cost offering at times to save some points.

While it does get Epcot access there is pushback because at times the Skyliner will go down. Now this is more likely during summers due to weather but we don't really have enough information as based on reports during when it was open this last late summer it never had too much issue.

Not being able to walk is a downside but the always moving Skyliner is a benefit in its own right. So while it can get backed up at times it is something you can plan for to avoid the peak rush things like just lining up earlier in the morning, leaving the park a little early or meandering a little longer at park close possibly grabbing dinner. If you are trying to get to Epcot opening and its backed up just go to HS and grab the boat or if you are leaving at HS closing just go over to Epcot and Skyliner from there.

The one thing our latest trip reminded me is that transportation can always be a little hit or miss but with Skyliner (unless its down for weather) you are going to see continual loading instead of waiting for a bus, boat, or monorail that you are not sure where it is.
Thank you, I appreciate the detailed response!

I figure with 5 kids - so far all Disney crazy, we will very likely end up gifting it/willing it rather than selling it in the future and in that case there are no restrictions (according to my guide).

The points isn't something I weighed as heavily as I should probably, I can see that 125 points gives us a week at a studio each year and that was about all I was concerned about (my adult kids don't go as often with us anymore, so more than 50% of our trips will be a party of 5, or hey maybe even sometimes 2! )

The location is actually a plus for us lol. Yes I would prefer Beach Club or Boardwalk for location but those direct point prices are crazy to me given they expire in 23 years. We actually love the Skyliner - it was my 5 year old's new favorite ride lol.

I saw some people don't like that it is near CBR and again that is a plus for us as well. I love the pool their so much so being able to go over for a swim is such a nice perk to me.

I have been going through the thread and seeing all these pictures are really making me fall in love.

Thank you, I appreciate the detailed response!

I figure with 5 kids - so far all Disney crazy, we will very likely end up gifting it/willing it rather than selling it in the future and in that case there are no restrictions (according to my guide).

The points isn't something I weighed as heavily as I should probably, I can see that 125 points gives us a week at a studio each year and that was about all I was concerned about (my adult kids don't go as often with us anymore, so more than 50% of our trips will be a party of 5, or hey maybe even sometimes 2! )

The location is actually a plus for us lol. Yes I would prefer Beach Club or Boardwalk for location but those direct point prices are crazy to me given they expire in 23 years. We actually love the Skyliner - it was my 5 year old's new favorite ride lol.

I saw some people don't like that it is near CBR and again that is a plus for us as well. I love the pool their so much so being able to go over for a swim is such a nice perk to me.

I have been going through the thread and seeing all these pictures are really making me fall in love.

You said several magic words: direct and studio! Have you considered a guaranteed week?

I own 50 pts direct at Riviera and when the resale prices settle down and drop like they should I will probably pick up another 50 or so resale. Don't care that I can only use them there, that is why I want them. I really like the resort and enjoy using the Skyliner. When it is down, the buses are fine. It is not very far from Epcot or HS.

Not sure if I asked you did you notice was it making the full resort loop or RIV only when it was down when you were there?
It was doing the full loop. Long wait during the mornings to transfer to the HS line, but nice and quick to Epcot.

We ended up buying a 100pt contract at Riviera back in October without having set foot in the resort or a room. I’ve loved the pictures of the resort and I like the location and the Skyliner access. If you do decide to purchase without having been there, I can promise you that you won’t be the only crazy one here.

My signature has the thread with most of the information and discussion.

I just added-on Week 49 as a guaranteed week in a preferred studio. The premium is only 7pts right now and it will likely disappear in the future. If we don't use the week, I can "cancel" and get the full 150 points to use whenever. It's definitely worth looking into.

Just heard from my wife that we just bought 75 points here! We already have a DVC at GF, and was planning a trip for September 2021. With restrictions on how many can be borrowed, and the thought of buying more points soon anyway..... she didn't hesitate.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter