• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The Running Thread - 2018

I dont think i have posted enough to be able to PM (that or i just cant find the button to PM on these forums :) )

Been sidelined with a posterior tibial tendon issue the last 3 weeks. Doc said to take 1 more week off then start easing back in. 4-6 till 100%...hopefully

05-2013-debbie-downer.jpg

Lol - 12 marathons.

Disney Goofy, New York, Berlin, London, Venice, Dublin...
Don't appoligize for posting to get your posts, plus it's interesting to see what other's have ran here, I mean you've got some cool ones you've done compared to me!

QOTD: A few days ago I asked about training seasons vs off season. I would like to know what people do differently for training vs. maintenance vs. whatever else there is. I wonder if the difference is frequency, time, distance, tracking, or just not following some sort of specified run?
Todays question is a suggestion from a fellow poster on this thread. Thanks for the suggestion!

ATTQOTD: During a training period all of my runs are based on preparing for a certain goal, usually a marathon. So my weekend runs are longer, I will have a midweek run that is also longer than some of my summer long runs. Pace is usually specific to goal pace for race day when it comes to speed work outs. Also, the speed workouts are different. By different I mean the duration's are longer and the pace a little slower than training for a 5k. Rarely will I run quarter mile repeats during this time as it serves little to no purpose in preparing me for a marathon.
Off season runs are meant to maintain fitness at a minimum. It's also a time to work on improving speed and form. So thats when runs like quarter mile repeats are useful. The distance is less for the week. During a marathon training period average mileage will be north of 40 and during the off season its probably closer to 30.
The differences are not all that extreme, because the days running is usually the same and the sessions can be equally challenging, but its a break for the long hours and build up to a marathon.

I haven't had a training plan since I injured my ankle. I did maintenance runs until surgery and since getting the ok to run again I was just trying to build back strength. Then I still had the pain so I was afraid to push it. Since I had the MRI in the fall and got the explanation for the pain I am somewhat free to train again. Since the doctor told me I shouldn't be running on the roads anymore, or doing anything over 10k, this year will be different, but I am thinking as long as we have no more storms I plan to start back outside in April. My training will also include a lot of bike so I can get my zone 2 training in with less miles on the roads.

But I am excited to get "training" for something again.

Hi, I am also 37 and only a few years into my running journey. Welcome!
I noticed you said "I wasn't good at it" and that speaks to me because I felt that way too. Even when I was good at other athletic endeavors, running seemed especially hard so I'd quit or wouldn't pursue it farther than one run here or there.
Dump the notion of what "being good at it" means. Find what you like about it and be okay with making goals based off of your own needs & wants.
You may find you like running at a slower more enjoyable pace for many many miles. You may find you like really short but quick distances. You may find you like variety and that walk/run/walk keeps you happy and healthy. Or that races aren't your cup of tea or that you really really like races. It's all going to be a journey and don't worry about whether you are good at it for a long while...just focus on what you like about it and continue your journey from there :)

ATTQOTD: There's an off season??????
But seriously, I tend to sign up for little races in between my big ones and often just fun-run them or "see what happens" and usually have some kind of in-betweener mini-plan happening.

I agree as well. There are so many benefits to running that you really find what works for you individually and be happy with shooting for that. Any new person, and I did it, can get intimidated looking at the times of others and convince themselves they shouldn't be running because they can't do that right away too. I was having a conversation yesterday actually about my marathon and running in general. I said to the person, my marathon wasn't fast this year. It was a struggle. But I keep doing it because as a Disney fan I have gotten to see so many things at Disney because of my races that I wouldn't have seen otherwise. It's so cool. Oh, and I'm healthy on top of it.

Do you run different intervals in a race than you do in your long run?

Short answer, yes you certainly can.

It just depends on the relationship between the long run paces and current fitness HM prediction. Punch in your recent race times into a McMillan race calculator to see what kind of time it predicts for your race distance. Ideally if it is a HM, then your long run pacing should be about 2 min slower per mile than is the HM pace. The best way to come to this pace is by slowing down the run pace (so that it is nearly 100% aerobic). I usually schedule the run portion pacing of the long run to be 9% slower than the person's estimated marathon pace. For a HM pace, I usually schedule the run portion pacing to be around 5k-10k estimated fitness pacing with the duration at no more than 2-3 minutes for the people I've worked with thus far. The walk is always kept constant in my plans at 30 seconds and at whatever pace is a comfortable calm walk for the runners (per Galloway's recent recommendation). So the variables I manipulate are the run pace and run duration with keeping an eye on the relevancy of that pace and duration to the user's current fitness.

So go back and look at your maintenance mid-week run and see how close they fall to a reasonable guess as to a race pace based on a race equivalency calculator.

This is an amazing post I found purely by accident whilst on another board. I am one of the co-founders of www.letsdothis.com a site trying to help you find races around the world. i'll admit at the moment we don't have complete coverage of the USA but we are working on increasing our coverage all of the time.

However, if you are ever heading to the UK check it out, and if you are in the USA it would be great to get your feedback on the running side of it as there are still a lot of events :)

Really like your site!

QOTD: A few days ago I asked about training seasons vs off season. I would like to know what people do differently for training vs. maintenance vs. whatever else there is. I wonder if the difference is frequency, time, distance, tracking, or just not following some sort of specified run?
Todays question is a suggestion from a fellow poster on this thread. Thanks for the suggestion!

During the "off season" my maintenance runs usually only include easy, moderate, long, and an occasional hills and speed work. During months leading up to the start of race season, I will start varying my style of runs to include the ones previously mentioned, as well as adding in fartleks, resistance runs, intervals, hills, tempo runs and hard/race pace runs.

In the past 4-5 years I've generally maintained about 20 miles per week. But since my injury last May, I've scaled it back a bit to 12-18 miles per week. This summer, I'm planning on participating in my first triathlon-sprint, so my running mileage will decrease but I will be adding in biking and swimming work outs during that time.

This is an amazing post I found purely by accident whilst on another board. I am one of the co-founders of www.letsdothis.com a site trying to help you find races around the world. i'll admit at the moment we don't have complete coverage of the USA but we are working on increasing our coverage all of the time.

However, if you are ever heading to the UK check it out, and if you are in the USA it would be great to get your feedback on the running side of it as there are still a lot of events :)

Cool site! You can use the first post to see a list of races in the USA, and then I linked in the second post I believe the previous years threads that are set up similar to this one. Best of luck and hope you stick around the thread.

This weekend we have the following folks with races:

24 - @MissLiss279 - Go Girl Run OKC Half Marathon (2:05:00 / N/A)
24 - @tidefan - Tuscaloosa Half Marathon (2:30:00 / N/A)
24 - @jennamfeo - Carlsbad All Day 20k (NG / N/A)
24 - @cburnett11 - Rodes City Run 10k (48:xx / N/A)
25 - @roxymama - Shamrock Shuffle 8k (44:19 / N/A)
25 - @kleph - Dallas Rock n' Roll Half Marathon (2:00:00 / N/A)
25 - @FlashAM7 - Winterpark 10k (53:59 / N/A)
25 - @Mickey Momma - Covenant Health Knoxville Half Marathon (2:45:00 / N/A)

Best of luck to each of you this weekend. My sincere apologies for posting the list late this week. DD school was closed unexpectedly mid morning and I had to go pick her and DS. Plus side, we had a great afternoon playing outside)

If you would like to adjust your goal or if someone would like to add a race to the list, just let me know and I will be happy to do so. Good luck again, and let us know how it goes!

Side note: It appears I typed a user name incorrectly again. MickeyMomma is not being allowed to tag.... If you see this please let me know so I can change it. TIA

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter