The Running Thread - 2018

Question for those planning or having done a Dopey and having to fly from a very wintery part of the world: Given that the Expo starts on Wednesday and that the first race is on Thursday, do you take a chance that the flight won’t be cancelled because of weather and fly on Wednesday or do you fly on Tuesday to be safe? Also, do you plan a return flight on Sunday or on Monday? It is the difference between a 4 and 6 nights hotel reservation and a 3 and 5 days vacation from work. TIA
I have both flown in on Tuesday and Wednesday. I flew in on Wednesday this year and took the earliest flight out. I am currently planning on doing the same in 2019. I return Monday or Tuesday, never on Sunday.

Given that the Expo starts on Wednesday and that the first race is on Thursday, do you take a chance that the flight won’t be cancelled because of weather and fly on Wednesday or do you fly on Tuesday to be safe? Also, do you plan a return flight on Sunday or on Monday? It is the difference between a 4 and 6 nights hotel reservation and a 3 and 5 days vacation from work. TIA
I flew in Wednesday for Dopey this past January from Ottawa, Canada with no issue, my Dad however was supposed to arrive on Thursday (only doing the half) and got bumped to Friday due to weather. I have done other runD weekends as well and I always fly out on the Monday, because I do not want to run and then get on a plane. No way. Not worth it.

With all these inputs for winter flights and Marathon Weekend planning reports, I am now ready to book Dopey... 365 days or so before I can reserve a resort package, yohoo!

Less than that if you want to rent DVC points!
Yes, good point. If I am going solo, I will probably stay in a Standard Room at a Value, not sure how DVC rental would compare price wise. Plus, how sure can I be that I will be able to secure a Dopey bib? DVC point rentals are not reimbursable.

Edit: Just checked and a Value Studio at AKL is about the same price as Value Room at Pop for 2019 Marathon Weekend. No availability now though. For someone who drives (and park) and do not need a second Queen bed, that would definitively be a good deal!

Last edited:

QOTD: Today you can officially book a package for 2019 for WDW. Who is booking today and where are you planning on staying for marathon weekend?!?!
I booked my home resort, Saratoga Springs, back on February 8th. Preferred view studio (I always request Congress Park). The rooms desperately need updating, but it's a good location (I can do mobile order and walk to Starbucks to find breakfast waiting for me!) and I love the grounds!

I booked my home resort, Saratoga Springs, back on February 8th. Preferred view studio (I always request Congress Park). The rooms desperately need updating, but it's a good location (I can do mobile order and walk to Starbucks to find breakfast waiting for me!) and I love the grounds!
Is that Starbucks opened at 3AM? If yes, that is a big factor! Imagine a real coffee before every Dopey runs (all four of them)!

Edit: And I did check price and availability for 2019, so it is interesting.

Last edited:
"Is that Starbucks opened at 3AM?"
No, they are closed at that time for sensitivity training... :)

Seriously though, one year I purchased a Grande Java Chip Frappuccino the night before the marathon.
It was one of the normal temperature years and I drank it on the way to the start line.

I would love to open a pop-up coffee hut half way to the corrals.
The lines would be longer than the port-o-lets at mile two.
Of course, it would contribute to said lines...

Seriously though, one year I purchased a Grande Java Chip Frappuccino the night before the marathon.
It was one of the normal temperature years and I drank it on the way to the start line.

I'm pretty sure the Donut Truck in the pre-race area (by the character meets) was selling coffee this year during Marathon and Star Wars.

Is that Starbucks opened at 3AM? If yes, that is a big factor! Imagine a real coffee before every Dopey runs (all four of them)!

Edit: And I did check price and availability for 2019, so it is interesting.
I doubt it, since it's in Disney Springs. But, you never know!

Um...thanks... but, coffee isn't exactly Starbucks. I am not embarrassed to admit I am a coffee snob. (I'm a wine snob too...)

I will be sure to have something in my room ready to go!

No worries. I'm not a Starbucks fan, but just wanted to pass along coffee options.

What all this wintry weather flight talk is telling me is that I should look for a non stop from the west coast to Orlando for marathon weekend. Desired plan is to take a west coast red eye that will arrive in Orlando early Wednesday morning. Backup plan is probably a Tuesday morning flight that gets in Orlando Tuesday evening, but that will entail battling jet lag which I hope to avoid.
Melatonin! Start taking it a few nights before you travel until a few nights after you arrive and jet lag shouldn't be an issue!

I'm pretty sure the Donut Truck in the pre-race area (by the character meets) was selling coffee this year during Marathon and Star Wars.

Ok so coffee plans when booking resorts:
1) Is there a coffee maker in the room?
2) Is there a microwave to warm-up previously purchased Starbucks?
3) Will the resort foodcourt be opened at 3AM? BTW Pop foodcourt was opened for the 2017 WnD Half.
4) If all things fail are you ok drinking a previously purchased Frappuccino or stop by a Donut Truck...
5) Convince @Grumpy_42K to open a real Coffee Hut and have @Keels promote it :P

FOMO is kicking in...

How fast do we think the 10k or half will sell out for marathon weekend??
10k sells out pretty quick as I know last year I was debating adding it and it sold out either that first day or next day. Half I can't remember but it usually sells out at some point early on, I don't think it last months, but could be totally wrong on that.

This year could be interesting with stuff selling or not selling out with registration so much later.

Um...thanks... but, coffee isn't exactly Starbucks. I am not embarrassed to admit I am a coffee snob. (I'm a wine snob too...)

I will be sure to have something in my room ready to go!

Some people call me a beer snob. So we have coffee, wine, and beer covered! Open spots remaining for Scotch, Whiskey, Tequila, Steaks, and Tea.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter