The Running Thread - 2018

When I did Dopey I flew in on Tuesday to be safe or safe as can be cause who knows with winter travel & just watched it like a crazy person in case we needed to try to get out earlier. Not much help on return as we stayed thru the following Thursday, but I wouldn't want to fly home right after the marathon so if it can work I would pick fly out Monday.
Yes, that was my reasoning for WnD last year. I’ll work longer and save vacation days. Price wise, if I stay at a value, it is not that much more. :teacher: But it will make the experience much less stressful. :teeth:
Thanks!

HAHA Well I hit purchase and Woody is on my screen telling me to please wait and not hit the back button or refresh. Toying with me and my emotions.

a2e1e400b72603a6ffe0dad6008173943fcc5bbe69a4354a0cd218012b4096ab.gif

Same here, I am aiming for Dopey 2020 so my 2019 race line-up will be minimalist (price wise). I even calculated how much a NYRR Marathon would cost if I was winning the lottery and figured out that runDisney was a better deal! I looked both at runDisney travel agent websites and Disney World website for getting an accurate estimate.

Question for those planning or having done a Dopey and having to fly from a very wintery part of the world: Given that the Expo starts on Wednesday and that the first race is on Thursday, do you take a chance that the flight won’t be cancelled because of weather and fly on Wednesday or do you fly on Tuesday to be safe? Also, do you plan a return flight on Sunday or on Monday? It is the difference between a 4 and 6 nights hotel reservation and a 3 and 5 days vacation from work. TIA

Not having done any runDisney events but having flown down from a wintery part of the world a bunch of times...I'd fly in Tuesday and out Monday. I was supposed to fly in the night before my cruise this January and ended up getting bumped back to a red-eye in order to make it there in time (and nearly didn't even get on the red-eye!). After that experience I have zero confidence in the airline getting me anywhere on time. I don't know how far away from Florida your wintery part of the world is, but if I were flying down on a Wednesday for Dopey the earliest I could possibly land at the airport would be 3:30 pm, so if the flight got delayed at all I'd risk missing the expo and having to hope Disney would allow me to pick up my packet on the morning of the 5K. Too stressful. When I do the 2020 marathon I'm planning to fly down early in the day on Friday and have all of Saturday to go to the expo and get acclimated.

And as for coming back...my big concern would be not having a place to shower unless you plan to pay for an additional night in order to have the room in the afternoon. And if you're going to pay for another night anyway, the only thing it costs you to just stay that night is another vacation day. And while vacation days are a big deal for me, I'd still spend the hours to avoid having to rush to the airport.

Edit: Unrelated, but @LSUlakes I want to acknowledge that you'd made a really good point about likely price increases beyond the norm for Pop and AoA, since I'd forgotten they'd be connected to the new gondola system. Thinking about it over lunch, I've decided that I'm going to budget as though I'm doing three nights at AoA and one at POFQ at the current prices...but set my expectations as though I'm doing three nights at an All Star and one at AoA. That way if my budget allows for the former it'll be a pleasant surprise, rather than an unpleasant one if I can only manage the latter.

ATTQOTD: It is not fear of missing out, it is simply missing out that I am experiencing. I want to do a half, and I want it to be disney. But I can not budget time off of work to go without the family for marathon weekend. {Sigh} I keep telling myself that I have the rest of my life to do it and statistically that leaves me many opportunities, but that is just not cutting it.

Question for those planning or having done a Dopey and having to fly from a very wintery part of the world: Given that the Expo starts on Wednesday and that the first race is on Thursday, do you take a chance that the flight won’t be cancelled because of weather and fly on Wednesday or do you fly on Tuesday to be safe? Also, do you plan a return flight on Sunday or on Monday? It is the difference between a 4 and 6 nights hotel reservation and a 3 and 5 days vacation from work. TIA

I think the trade off is deciding if you can deal with the stress of picking up a packet at 3am if your flight is delayed. Having done that due to aircraft issues and terrible service, I would debate myself on this as well. If your flight is delayed, is there an alternate flight that would still get you there in time? My experience trying to get from MI to CA was not great, and the stress and lack of sleep (we got to the hotel 10 hours later than expected, and woke to be at runner relations when the tent opened- 3am) did impact my stomach and overall experience. All that, but in the back of my mind I want to book a flight for the afternoon January 11 and take the risk.

Haven't done Dopey but am from a somewhat wintery part of the world. (From Toronto...are you in Quebec?)
I would fly in on the Tuesday and return on the Monday. Depending on how long it will take you to complete the marathon, you don't want to have to deal with checking out prior to the marathon and possibly not having a place to shower before getting on a flight. Plus, you should plan on doing DATW on the Monday!
Note to self: Plan a late Monday night flight to accomodate DATW.

We booked AKV on the 11 month mark and DH added 2 more nights at Poly last week on the 7 month mark. We are hoping for some not-so-crowded park time before heading home that Wed.

On the 2021 conversation- we plan to avoid that year altogether. We prefer the smaller crowds (if there is such a thing anymore).

I keep putting the Little Mermaid room in the cart for myself to run the half w/ my friend or Goofy. (sorry guys, Dopey just won't be possible for 2019.) Someone tell me to just pull the trigger and room only is cancel-able anyways. I'm freaking myself out. I have the all go from the hubby but I have solo-vacation-mom-guilt.

Do it! Moms who take time out for themselves are better moms. :)

QOTD: Today you can officially book a package for 2019 for WDW. Who is booking today and where are you planning on staying for marathon weekend?!?!

We're at the Dolphin for Wednesday night and then BCV Thursday-Tuesday!

Resort smells are definitely a thing. And a very good thing at that. Isn’t there a candle company that has scents based off of a few of the different scents?

Walter & Rosie Candle Co. is the candle brand I love - the Beach Club scent is legit. I have one in my little office and it transports me right back to the lobby.

What all this wintry weather flight talk is telling me is that I should look for a non stop from the west coast to Orlando for marathon weekend. Desired plan is to take a west coast red eye that will arrive in Orlando early Wednesday morning. Backup plan is probably a Tuesday morning flight that gets in Orlando Tuesday evening, but that will entail battling jet lag which I hope to avoid.

ATTQOTD: Booked Animal Kingdom Lodge, and 10k/Marathon bibs via Disney a few months ago. DH was tired of my struggling between the Minnie-Mickey combo or trying Dopey in conjunction with my first marathon so made me chose something and book. First time at AKL but looking forward to the animal watching.

Take the first flight out Tuesday morning so that you have the maximum amount of time to deal with weather/flight/staffing/computer issues. Living in Chicago I take no chances when flying during the winter; I'd rather spend most of day 1 at Disney Springs if things go well than be stressing about flight issues and missing the expo and packet pick up. There was actually someone on the boards that missed their races this past January due to the weather system that was over New England.

As others have said plan to fly home Monday. While all the material says 5:30 am start for the Marathon, depending on your finish time you can start as late as 6:30. Even if you are a fast runner and will be finished with the marathon by 9:30, it is still really tight to get back to the resort, shower, shove sweaty clothing into the suitcase and check out by 11, but it can be done (had to to that for the half this past January). Do not count on being able to get late check out.

For those who booked a room only reservation that is not a DVC. Did your room rate or total go up today? I was told that it would go up to whatever the new rates are, but as of mid morning they have not. I picked the the same dates to see what it should come out to and it isnt that much more thankfully, but curious if it will indeed go up. Also, I technically made this reservation prior to the parking stuff coming out, but was also told that it wouldnt matter and I should prepare to pay the parking fee. Wonder if I have a chance of showing I booked on 1/11/18 lol

I keep putting the Little Mermaid room in the cart for myself to run the half w/ my friend or Goofy. (sorry guys, Dopey just won't be possible for 2019.) Someone tell me to just pull the trigger and room only is cancel-able anyways. I'm freaking myself out. I have the all go from the hubby but I have solo-vacation-mom-guilt.
UM YES DO IT!

For those who booked a room only reservation that is not a DVC. Did your room rate or total go up today? I was told that it would go up to whatever the new rates are, but as of mid morning they have not. I picked the the same dates to see what it should come out to and it isnt that much more thankfully, but curious if it will indeed go up. Also, I technically made this reservation prior to the parking stuff coming out, but was also told that it wouldnt matter and I should prepare to pay the parking fee. Wonder if I have a chance of showing I booked on 1/11/18 lol
I booked a group rate so I don't apply to this. Interested to see if they do go up for you.

Same here, I am aiming for Dopey 2020 so my 2019 race line-up will be minimalist (price wise). I even calculated how much a NYRR Marathon would cost if I was winning the lottery and figured out that runDisney was a better deal! I looked both at runDisney travel agent websites and Disney World website for getting an accurate estimate.

My part of the world isn't as wintry (New Jersey) but I didn't want to risk not completing the dopey on day one. We have had to cancel trips before due to weather. For both dopey we flew in on Tuesday.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter