The Running Thread - 2021

In-Person Race Report - Tobacco Road Marathon

The Tobacco Road Marathon is run primarily on the mixed pavement and crushed gravel of the American Tobacco Trail in Cary, NC. Built on an old rail bed, the course features mild grades, with the exception of the gently rolling hills of the 2.25 mi it takes to get to and from the trail from the start/finish at the USA Baseball Center.

This was my 12th marathon. I wasn’t really sure what I was going to be capable of or how to approach it. I’m only 7 weeks removed from my first 100k, which only gave me 3 weeks of light recovery running (one of those just walking at WDW), 2 weeks to re-introduce longer tempo runs and push my distance back up, and 2 weeks to taper. Given uncertainty like that, I tend to default to “go for it”. My plan was to go out and run at a 4:00 marathon pace (9:09/mi) and reevaluate the strategy each 1/4 of the race.

The temp was surprisingly cool for mid-May in NC at 46 deg (44 dew point) to start. I was scheduled to start in the 6:45 mini-wave, but the starting chute was empty when I showed up at 6:30. So I got my temp checked, walked down the chute and started early.

The first quarter of the race clicked by uneventfully, with the first 6.55 mi passing right on schedule in 59:52. The 2nd quarter went by in similar fashion, hitting the halfway point at 13.1 mi in 1:59:44. Taking stock at that point was a mixed bag. On the plus side, my stomach was holding up well with my nutrition strategy. After experimenting with Maurten and Tailwind with mixed results I went back to my old standby of Huma gels and was downing one every 4 miles. On the downside, at only 16 sec ahead of pace, my legs were starting to feel the effort. The way they felt, I resigned myself to 4:00 slipping away and resolved to focus on seeing what I could hold onto.

Apparently I gave up too quickly, though. Around mile 15 I got a huge 2nd wind in my legs. Miles started to feel easier than they had all race and I felt like I was flying down the trail! Others might have seen a 50yo man slightly improve his pace if they’d been watching very closely. I don’t remember what my 3/4 split was, other than that it was encouraging. At the 20 mi mark I pulled out my secret weapon. 80s music gives me a lift, but has to be used carefully. I had been carrying my headphones waiting for the right moment and this was it. I was starting to feel like my 2nd wind revival had been a false dawn that led to over enthusiasm that might bite me at any moment. I definitely got the lift I needed from the music and spent the last 6 miles bearing down on the mile I was in. It even turned out I had enough in the tank to sprint the last tenth of a mile or so.

Ultimately, my final time was 3:57:31! My first sub-4:00 marathon! I couldn’t be happier! It’s a new official race PR, beating my previous best Chicago Marathon time by 0:20:40. It also beats my virtual race “unofficial” PR from last fall by 0:08:43. Looking at the in-race details, I negative split the race by 0:01:57, too (1st half 1.59:44, 2nd half 1:57:47). All in all, a great day of racing! Thanks for reading if you made it this far!

TL;DR Summary
Tobacco Road Marathon run in-person today. Finished in 3:57:31 for my first sub-4:00 marathon and a new official PR by 0:20:40. Negative split the race by almost 2 min.

Ultimately, my final time was 3:57:31! My first sub-4:00 marathon! I couldn’t be happier! It’s a new official race PR, beating my previous best Chicago Marathon time by 0:20:40. It also beats my virtual race “unofficial” PR from last fall by 0:08:43. Looking at the in-race details, I negative split the race by 0:01:57, too (1st half 1.59:44, 2nd half 1:57:47). All in all, a great day of racing!
Congratulations!! That is awesome. All this CRAW mileage may have some benefit after all. 😜

In-Person Race Report - Tobacco Road Marathon

The Tobacco Road Marathon is run primarily on the mixed pavement and crushed gravel of the American Tobacco Trail in Cary, NC. Built on an old rail bed, the course features mild grades, with the exception of the gently rolling hills of the 2.25 mi it takes to get to and from the trail from the start/finish at the USA Baseball Center.

This was my 12th marathon. I wasn’t really sure what I was going to be capable of or how to approach it. I’m only 7 weeks removed from my first 100k, which only gave me 3 weeks of light recovery running (one of those just walking at WDW), 2 weeks to re-introduce longer tempo runs and push my distance back up, and 2 weeks to taper. Given uncertainty like that, I tend to default to “go for it”. My plan was to go out and run at a 4:00 marathon pace (9:09/mi) and reevaluate the strategy each 1/4 of the race.

The temp was surprisingly cool for mid-May in NC at 46 deg (44 dew point) to start. I was scheduled to start in the 6:45 mini-wave, but the starting chute was empty when I showed up at 6:30. So I got my temp checked, walked down the chute and started early.

The first quarter of the race clicked by uneventfully, with the first 6.55 mi passing right on schedule in 59:52. The 2nd quarter went by in similar fashion, hitting the halfway point at 13.1 mi in 1:59:44. Taking stock at that point was a mixed bag. On the plus side, my stomach was holding up well with my nutrition strategy. After experimenting with Maurten and Tailwind with mixed results I went back to my old standby of Huma gels and was downing one every 4 miles. On the downside, at only 16 sec ahead of pace, my legs were starting to feel the effort. The way they felt, I resigned myself to 4:00 slipping away and resolved to focus on seeing what I could hold onto.

Apparently I gave up too quickly, though. Around mile 15 I got a huge 2nd wind in my legs. Miles started to feel easier than they had all race and I felt like I was flying down the trail! Others might have seen a 50yo man slightly improve his pace if they’d been watching very closely. I don’t remember what my 3/4 split was, other than that it was encouraging. At the 20 mi mark I pulled out my secret weapon. 80s music gives me a lift, but has to be used carefully. I had been carrying my headphones waiting for the right moment and this was it. I was starting to feel like my 2nd wind revival had been a false dawn that led to over enthusiasm that might bite me at any moment. I definitely got the lift I needed from the music and spent the last 6 miles bearing down on the mile I was in. It even turned out I had enough in the tank to sprint the last tenth of a mile or so.

Ultimately, my final time was 3:57:31! My first sub-4:00 marathon! I couldn’t be happier! It’s a new official race PR, beating my previous best Chicago Marathon time by 0:20:40. It also beats my virtual race “unofficial” PR from last fall by 0:08:43. Looking at the in-race details, I negative split the race by 0:01:57, too (1st half 1.59:44, 2nd half 1:57:47). All in all, a great day of racing! Thanks for reading if you made it this far!

TL;DR Summary
Tobacco Road Marathon run in-person today. Finished in 3:57:31 for my first sub-4:00 marathon and a new official PR by 0:20:40. Negative split the race by almost 2 min.

Congrats on the PR and Sub-4! No one should underestimate 50 year runners!

Anyone have recs for hot weather rain gear? I live in Houston and don’t have a waterproof outerlayer for the summer.

I just found out that I will be participating in my first in-person race in over a year and a half this weekend (Sunday). It is a half marathon, and they limited the number of in-person participants (time-trial start), but since I tried to register late (a month or so ago), I was put on the waiting list which I didn't think would pan out... and I sort of forgot about it. I just received an email this morning that they were opening some additional spots to those on the wait list as long as you can run a 9:20/mile pace or faster. The reason for the pace requirement is that these additional spots will be some of the last times to start (after 12 noon), and they need to close the course by 2:30pm. So, I registered. Nothing like a four day heads up on a race.

In any case, I will not be going all-out on this one since (i) although I have been putting in good mileage, I haven't really been training for a race (no speed intervals and minimal threshold runs), (ii) I haven't been tapering so far this week, and (iii) the temperature is supposed to be in the mid-80s on Sunday. This temp may sound delightful to those of you in the South, but we have been hovering in the high-50s to mid-60s for the past several weeks, and lower prior to that, so this will be a dramatic change from my recent training weather.

Now that I think about it, I guess the only real reason to do this race (besides for the fun of it) is for a recent proof of time, so maybe I should look at @DopeyBadger's corral cutoff times. [pause while looking at the most recent POT table] Okay, so for Corral A in the half marathon, I would need a 1:50 time or better, or an 8:23/mile average pace. That seems achievable. Although if I decided to try for Goofy/Dopey, I guess I would need a 1:44 to get into Corral A, but I feel that would likely be too much of a stretch for me right now. So, I guess 1:50 is my target (just to have something to aim for).

Anyone have recs for hot weather rain gear? I live in Houston and don’t have a waterproof outerlayer for the summer.
Floridian here, with plenty of hot, rainy runs under my belt... You do not want any waterproof outer layer in the heat! Wear as little as you can, make sure what you are wearing is light and not prone to holding water (i.e.: no cotton), and I'll 2nd wearing a hat/visor with a brim to help keep rain out of your eyes. Trust me: in the heat of summer, rain feels WONDERFUL!

Pro tip: after your rainy run, pull the insoles out of your shoes and set them aside to dry. Stuff your shoes with newspaper; pull out the wet newspaper a few hours later and replace with new, dry newspaper. Repeat as necessary. That process will help your shoes dry faster.

Thanks for the recs @MissLiss279 @michigandergirl @GreatLakes and @PrincessV

I've been using my poly/nylon blend shirts which are too water absorbant and that gets unpleasant if we have rain like this week (3-4"/hr, yuck!). I think I'll order a few more of the black diamond wool shirts, they hold the least water in my experience.

Will slathering up with my bodyglide stick be enough, or should I switch over to one of the gels?

Thanks again all :)

Will slathering up with my bodyglide stick be enough, or should I switch over to one of the gels?
I personally find that when my skin is 100% slick with rain or sweat (as it is June through Sept lol), I don't need any kind of anti-chafe stuff because there is no stickiness to create chafing. But I think that's a uniquely 100* and 100% humidity running on the surface of the sun thing. :rotfl: In times when it's a little cooler and less humid, I prefer 2 Toms Sportshield over BodyGlide for chafing issues.

Thanks for the recs @MissLiss279 @michigandergirl @GreatLakes and @PrincessV

I've been using my poly/nylon blend shirts which are too water absorbant and that gets unpleasant if we have rain like this week (3-4"/hr, yuck!). I think I'll order a few more of the black diamond wool shirts, they hold the least water in my experience.

Thanks again all :)
Greetings, fellow Houstonian. Lots of good advice already from everyone. I feel your pain on the shirts and I have not found anything that does not adhere when wet. I am currently rotating through a couple of Arcteryx and 2xu shirts that are tolerable. I may have to try the black diamond.

I switched to 2Toms a few years ago and use it for everything. If I am running less than 20 miles, I only need it to prevent bloody nipples.

Genrally in the rain between March and October, I wear a visor, shirt and shorts. Anything else is too hot for me.

Greetings, fellow Houstonian. Lots of good advice already from everyone. I feel your pain on the shirts and I have not found anything that does not adhere when wet. I am currently rotating through a couple of Arcteryx and 2xu shirts that are tolerable. I may have to try the black diamond.

I switched to 2Toms a few years ago and use it for everything. If I am running less than 20 miles, I only need it to prevent bloody nipples.

Genrally in the rain between March and October, I wear a visor, shirt and shorts. Anything else is too hot for me.
Hello there! Glad I’m not alone in my struggles here!

I went ahead and went out in one of these today which worked out well. They definitely get wet, but not absolutely drenched the way the polyester shirts do. Those and the wool shirts from Rabbit are my favorites for summer here

As a former HoustonIan, I am not sure you need a waterproof outer layer. The summer temps are already warm enough that wearing a jacket or layer over your running kit will make you miserable, no matter how breatheable it claims to be. A good hat or visor, a tight fitting top to reduce chafing, and plenty of Body Glide is really all you need. For tops, look into compressive ones like you’d wear for a triathlon. They are designed not to absorb water and not to slide around. De Soto Sports makes some excellent ones.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter