The "Why do my cats do that?" Thread

How can you not love cats after reading this thread!
I tried wrapping last night and just like all my cats before, my two newest decided the best place for them to lay down was right in the middle of the wrapping paper I just rolled out.
Luckily I had enough shipping boxes and balled up wrapping paper to keep them busy while I hurried to get the wrapping done
Exactly.....cats do the darndest things!

Does anyone have experience with cats riding in cars? Im bringing my girls camping this summer and they have about a 2 hour drive. They hate the cat carriers, so I thought Id put the back seats down and put down some cozy blankets and start taking them for some short rides this spring. Any suggestions are welcome.

Does anyone have experience with cats riding in cars? Im bringing my girls camping this summer and they have about a 2 hour drive. They hate the cat carriers, so I thought Id put the back seats down and put down some cozy blankets and start taking them for some short rides this spring. Any suggestions are welcome.

They are safer in the crates, less chance of a scared cat bolting when you open the door. Try some kitty valium, your vet should be able to prescribe it.

In addition, they are less likely to become kitty projectiles in the event of an accident. Mine always rode in their crates with the seatbelts fastened around them.

I wouldn't let them ride unrestrained. I once took my cat to the vet just in his harness/leash, and he moved around the car so much he had tied me to my seat. And yes, they will bolt out the doors when they open.

My mother has a very large cat carrier with soft sides, that is kind of like a big "playpen" type thing. She can set it on the back seat, and it has room in it for food or even a small litter box if you wanted. This would keep them secure and give them some room. You might look into one of those.

I wouldn't let them ride unrestrained. I once took my cat to the vet just in his harness/leash, and he moved around the car so much he had tied me to my seat. And yes, they will bolt out the doors when they open.

My mother has a very large cat carrier with soft sides, that is kind of like a big "playpen" type thing. She can set it on the back seat, and it has room in it for food or even a small litter box if you wanted. This would keep them secure and give them some room. You might look into one of those.
I do have a giant dog crate that all three could fit inside of...maybe ill see if that fits in my car but they cry the entire time they are riding when they are in a carrier.

Try some kitty valium, your vet should be able to prescribe it.

Our veterinarian refused to prescribe any kind of sedative when we traveled. He said that if we had to slam on the brakes suddenly, or took a sharp curve, the cat might not be able to steady itself as well, and might be harmed more physically than the benefit received from the sedation. Interesting theory-don't know enough to agree or disagree.

Does anyone have experience with cats riding in cars?

I recommend trying a product called the Thundershirt. We have an older cat (almost 15) and wish we knew about this earlier. He used to fight like crazy going into the car carrier and then wail the entire time he was in it. Now he will walk right in and stays calm and quiet inside the carrier.

It’s basically a soft cloth vest with velcro that wraps around the body and swaddles them like a baby but they can still move their legs. Can be used any time your cat has anxiety, eg: going in carrier, to vet, during thunderstorms or fireworks, or even just for nail clipping. Works wonderfully for us; I never would’ve believed it until I saw the calming effect it has on him.

My cat likes to eat plastic bags, cellophane, scotch tape and shipping tape. It makes him sick, yet he apparently can’t resist. We found out this is a fairly common condition in cats (and dogs) called pica. We have to keep these things away from him but it’s not so easy.

Our kitty loves packing peanuts! She will do anything to get into a box full of peanuts, and will eat them. I tell her not to, that it could kill her, and she just doesn't care.

Over twenty years ago, we had a cat that would make this odd meow, more like a chattering noise, to lure flies. Flies would come to her when she did this and she would catch and eat them. A few times, we saw her actually spear them with her nail and then eat it. I grew up with cats and have never seen a cat call to flies. Our two cats after her never did that.

Fast forward to today with our two new kittens and we caught one of them chattering to a fly the other day.

Does anyone else have a cat that makes that odd noise to lure flies?

OMG yes! I don't know if she's trying to lure them or just trying to tell me something is there. She does it with any kind of bug and birds. Weirdest noise.

Our kitty also likes fresh water from the faucet, especially RO water! If I fill my cup with RO water, she is right there to lick the water remnants. She tried drinking out of the toilet once, but she fell in and she did not like that!

A thing I've always hated that almost every cat I've ever owned does - stares off, right behind me, like there's a person there. My grandma's cat used to do that all the time when I lived there, and it was especially creepy because I would be sitting on the couch that was pressed up against the railing of the stairs, and I always thought she was looking at someone coming up the stairs. And it never happens when there's a wall behind me, only when there could possibly be someone back there. Eek!

We used to have a cat named Hal (short for Halloween, she came trick or treating at our door when she was a tiny kitten). She was a character.

1. She had an unbelievable vocabulary and used the words correctly. If she was looking for the other cats, she would go up and down the hallway saying "hello", if she was stuck in a closet or room, she'd say "out", if it was bath time she'd say "no" the whole time, etc. It was very disconcerting to be home by myself and hear "hello" coming from the empty hallway, it was that realistic. Of all the cats we've ever had, I miss her the most.
Sulu scared me when he was a kitten. I kept hearing "Hello, hello" in the middle of the night. I investigated and found Sulu sitting on the top step yelling, "Hello!" We've figured out that he's calling his feline brother and litter mate, Scotty. Both cats use the word "no" appropriately and often, especially when getting their nails filed or when told they're going to the vet or to the kennel or anything else that they don't want to do. Scotty is a cat of few meows, compared to Sulu. Sulu is quite vocal and talks back to you. When I come home after a trip, he'll come running down the stairs crying, "Mom! Mom! Mom!" It's hilarious.

A few years ago, Scotty walked by the TV and saw the ad for a cat toy and stopped in his tracks. He'd stare at the TV, then look at me, then stare at the TV. He's not a TV watcher, but if he heard the music for the ad, he'd come running to watch it. He was overjoyed when Santa dropped off his very own undercover mouse rotating toy. He will come and ask for you to turn it on for him "On" and go sit by the toy until you turn it on. If I dawdle, I hear, "Mama, now."

Riddle me this. Why is there kitty litter from one end of the house to the other?
According to Scotty, the world should be covered with kitty litter and he's starting with his neck of the woods. We have a running battle. I clean; he distributes.

Sulu does not cover his business in the litter box. Scotty does it for him, then slaps Sulu when he walks by. They supervise you when you scoop the litter box. Evidently I don't do it right because both of them fuss at me when I do it. They just sit and watch when DH does it.

Both cats chatter at birds, squirrels, and bugs. They don't kill bugs. That's my husband's job, according to the cats. One day, I overheard them chattering away. They had cornered a cricket. I watched as Scotty went upstairs to get DH and Sulu kept the cricket cornered until DH got there. They watched him put the cricket outside, then loved on him to thank him for saving them from the big, bad cricket. I wish I had a video of that encounter.

Our kitty loves packing peanuts! She will do anything to get into a box full of peanuts, and will eat them. I tell her not to, that it could kill her, and she just doesn't care.

OMG yes! I don't know if she's trying to lure them or just trying to tell me something is there. She does it with any kind of bug and birds. Weirdest noise.

Our kitty also likes fresh water from the faucet, especially RO water! If I fill my cup with RO water, she is right there to lick the water remnants. She tried drinking out of the toilet once, but she fell in and she did not like that!

A thing I've always hated that almost every cat I've ever owned does - stares off, right behind me, like there's a person there. My grandma's cat used to do that all the time when I lived there, and it was especially creepy because I would be sitting on the couch that was pressed up against the railing of the stairs, and I always thought she was looking at someone coming up the stairs. And it never happens when there's a wall behind me, only when there could possibly be someone back there. Eek!
One of my cats does this...I swear she sees ghosts!

My cat loves those little celophane wrappers that comes off candies. She would eat them if I let her, I habe to be careful she doesnt get any. What a strange thing for cats to be attracted to...I dont get it!

[/QUOTE]

A thing I've always hated that almost every cat I've ever owned does - stares off, right behind me, like there's a person there. My grandma's cat used to do that all the time when I lived there, and it was especially creepy because I would be sitting on the couch that was pressed up against the railing of the stairs, and I always thought she was looking at someone coming up the stairs. And it never happens when there's a wall behind me, only when there could possibly be someone back there. Eek![/QUOTE]

Or even worse, when they are staring behind you and then start hissing and growling at nothing.

My cat likes to eat plastic bags, cellophane, scotch tape and shipping tape. It makes him sick, yet he apparently can’t resist. We found out this is a fairly common condition in cats (and dogs) called pica. We have to keep these things away from him but it’s not so easy.
Mine like rubber, or latex especially DD's ponytail elastics and those charity bracelets. Those are now kept in a ziplock container.

My mother had a cat that went crazy for green olives in the jar. As soon as she'd open the jar he'd come running.
It was like catnip to him. Anyone else ever have a cat that did that?
I had a cat that would fetch green olives. I would toss them and she would bring it back to me to toss again. the game was over when she hunkered down and ate the olive.

We could ask my cat Lucy, but I doubt we would get a response. ;)

IMG_0752.jpg

About chattering, my cats do that but only for things like birds, never for flies or other insects. They'll also swish their tails back and forth while they chatter, like they're trying to lure their prey by hypnosis. I swear it reminds me of Kaa from The Jungle Book. "Trussssst in meeeeeee..."

I also get freaked out when I'm home alone and I see one of them perk up like they hear a prowler or something outside, or down the hall. There's never anything there of course, but I always have to muster up the courage to get up and check. If they keep doing it, eventually I get mad and shoo them out of the room just so they stop freaking me out, LOL.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter