Tipping Maids on DVC

MSUmom

MSU mom
What is recommended for tipping. I didn't think about it till I was there last week. We were there for 5 nights and the maid came in once while we were there. I left $10.00. Was this acceptable?

Acceptable is entirely up to you. Officially, Mousekeepers at WDW are paid a higher wage than other employees and they are not working a tipped position.

We only tip when someone does something over and above and not because others tip or because they expect it.

:earsboy: Bill

Tipping is not expected using DVC...that said, we usually do tip on full cleaning days, or, as noted, for exceptional service.

HTH

We only tip if we require extra service of some sort or we leave a big mess (which we normally do not). We'll gather the garbage, strip the beds, throw the towels in the tub to make their job easier instead.

What is recommended for tipping. I didn't think about it till I was there last week. We were there for 5 nights and the maid came in once while we were there. I left $10.00. Was this acceptable?
I agree with the other responses, Disney housekeeping is not in a tipped position. We generally don't tip unless they do something extra but that said, they often do and we end up tipping anyway. Ultimately it's up to you.

I have been told by a CM that all tips are suppose to be turned in for a CM party.

I tipped every day when we stayed at ASMu last October but we will not be at OKW long enough to even get a full cleaning day. From what I understand on day 4 we will get our trash taken away and get new towels. You get REAL cleaning service if you stay 8 days. We will only be there 7. SO for the trash/towel service I probably will not tip. I might leave a tip when we leave for the mousekeeper that has to come in and clean the whole room, change the sheets, scrub the tub and toilets and probably clean out the fridge between every guest. That's worth a tip to me because we will be in a 2 bedroom unit (hopefully) and that is a lot of cleaning.

When I read the title, my first thought was of someone walking up to another person and just pushing them over. Wrong kind of tipping I guess.

This can be a controversal subject. That said, I always tip.
If we are in a 2 BR, I tip $10 on T & T day and $20 on checkout.
It feels right to me.

I tipped every day when we stayed at ASMu last October but we will not be at OKW long enough to even get a full cleaning day. From what I understand on day 4 we will get our trash taken away and get new towels. You get REAL cleaning service if you stay 8 days. We will only be there 7. SO for the trash/towel service I probably will not tip. I might leave a tip when we leave for the mousekeeper that has to come in and clean the whole room, change the sheets, scrub the tub and toilets and probably clean out the fridge between every guest. That's worth a tip to me because we will be in a 2 bedroom unit (hopefully) and that is a lot of cleaning.

You get a full cleaning on day four if you stay at least eight nights, not eight days. If you stay seven nights or less, you only get your towels replaced on day four.

We always tip. With all the money we spend at WDW leaving a few bucks for mousekeeping is not going to kill our budget.
Whenever we stay in any hotel we leave a tip for the housekeeping staff.I have never thought to ask if the housekeeping staff were concidered a tipped postition.

Do what you feel is right.

We usually leave the Do Not Disturb sign out while we're there because we prefer not to have anyone coming in. However, on check-out day we leave $5 in a studio, $10 in a 1 bedroom just because we like too.

Tipping is up to you. I don't know whether Disney expects (or does not expect) their housekeepers to get tips, but they do provide the little "housekeeper name cards", and in my experience, that's always a pretty clear signal. :)

So, I always tip. In a 2BR with the four of us, I leave $10 on T&T day and $20 for a full clean. In a 1BR with one or two people I leave half that.

I agree.
I find it hard to believe that the mousekeepers are highly paid.
Like I said 5 or 10 bucks will not break my bank.

This is a very touchy subject. That being said, I am not trying to upset anyone or tell anyone what to do, but here is my opinion.
We always tip. The amount depends on size of room, how messy we leave it and how long we stay.
And for the poster who said that WDW pays a higher wage to their "mousekeepers", that is not true. First, they do not go by "mousekeepers", sorry but that rubbed me wrong.
The housekeeping staff prepares your room prior to your arrival and cleans up after you. And the larger villas take hours to clean and prepare.
I worked in housekeeping at WDW in DVC and have a certain perspective.

This is a very touchy subject. That being said, I am not trying to upset anyone or tell anyone what to do, but here is my opinion.
We always tip. The amount depends on size of room, how messy we leave it and how long we stay.
And for the poster who said that WDW pays a higher wage to their "mousekeepers", that is not true. First, they do not go by "mousekeepers", sorry but that rubbed me wrong.
The housekeeping staff prepares your room prior to your arrival and cleans up after you. And the larger villas take hours to clean and prepare.

You would know better than I since you worked there but according to Walt Disney Parks And Resorts and The Service Trades Council Union, Housekeeping positions at WDW are a non-tipped position. Florida labor laws allow a lower wage for tipped positions and since Union represented Housekeepers are considered non-tipped, they are paid a higher wage. I have been told by other Housekeepers that their Managers require that they turn their tips in and that the pooled money is used for group functions.

Are some of the Housekeepers at WDW not represented by the Union?

I agree.
I don't know what they've paid but a number of people have confirmed that they are not in a tipped position.

I agree.

They are not highly paid, they are paid a higher wage than employees in a tipped position.

It's a well known fact that Disney doesn't pay well and if it makes you feel good to leave tips then by all means do it. The possibility exists that the employee isn't allowed to keep the tip.

I don't really understand how we choose what occupations deserve a tip?

I don't think the salary itself is the issue but rather are they paid as tipped employees. In FL that would normally be $4.65 an hour currently but this went up a lot a year or 2 ago, it used to be in the low $2 range. The employer would then be required to contribute any amount additional to get the wages up to minimum wage for non tipped if the tips themselves did not do so. If you worked there I'm sure you can confirm that Disney housekeeping are not paid as tipped employees but more starting out around minimum wage I'd suspect plus benefits.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter